2018 Quest for the Cup

kjel

Super Moderator
If you've seen the Devils defense please let them know you've found them!

Not a terrible game against Florida last night, but it wasn't a great one either. Still have yet to win in OT this season.

So do you think it will be the Seattle Metropolitans like the 1917 team? Or will they be the Fishmongers?

I am less angry with northern Cities getting NHL teams, but here comes another round of poaching. Sad thing is Vegas does not need to worry about it for this round.

AG74683

Cyburbian
So do you think it will be the Seattle Metropolitans like the 1917 team? Or will they be the Fishmongers?

I am less angry with northern Cities getting NHL teams, but here comes another round of poaching. Sad thing is Vegas does not need to worry about it for this round.
I want the Seattle Slammin' Salmon.

Planit

Cyburbian

I want the Seattle Slammin' Salmon.
ESPN has a story about the naming & uniform contest.

My favorite: Seattle Sushi

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...rs-winning-entries-seattle-nhl-design-contest

kjel

Super Moderator
It was nice waking up to see the Devils finally got a road win. 6-3 against the Kings. I'm sure we'll get cremated on Sunday in Anaheim and Monday in San Jose.

Personally, I think the NHL could use some contraction, starting with getting rid of the franchises in Calgary and Winnipeg. :p
:-{ :-@

I agree with contraction.... but shut your mouth! Let's start with teams that are the furthest south and work our way north.

Think about it for a moment... there are two NHL teams in FL... and none in Wisconsin or Maine!

AG74683

Cyburbian
:-{ :-@

I agree with contraction.... but shut your mouth! Let's start with teams that are the furthest south and work our way north.

Think about it for a moment... there are two NHL teams in FL... and none in Wisconsin or Maine!
Wisconsin does have the Milwaukee Admirals in the AHL and they do really well in terms of attendance. I still don't get why Wisconsin hasn't even been considered for an NHL team.

I don't think the NHL needs contraction, I think the expansion has been very good for the league. I mean Vegas broke all sorts of records last season in terms of attendance. I think Canada needs a few more teams, starting with Quebec City. Then London and maybe Saskatoon or Regina. Houston or San Antonio should be the next US city to get an NHL team. I'm a little worried that Tom Dundon might end up moving the 'Canes to Houston since that's where he is from. IIRC, he can't move the team for at least 10 years though.

Wisconsin does have the Milwaukee Admirals in the AHL and they do really well in terms of attendance. I still don't get why Wisconsin hasn't even been considered for an NHL team.

I don't think the NHL needs contraction, I think the expansion has been very good for the league. I mean Vegas broke all sorts of records last season in terms of attendance. I think Canada needs a few more teams, starting with Quebec City. Then London and maybe Saskatoon or Regina. Houston or San Antonio should be the next US city to get an NHL team. I'm a little worried that Tom Dundon might end up moving the '[STRIKEOUT]Canes[/STRIKEOUT] Hartford Whalers to Houston since that's where he is from. IIRC, he can't move the team for at least 10 years though.
There... I fixed that for you...

I was impressed by the way the Wings played last night... until the 3rd period.

kjel

Super Moderator
Seattle Fish Throwers?

Personally, I think the NHL could use some contraction, starting with getting rid of the franchises in Calgary and Winnipeg. :p
I think 32 teams is ok. I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams move around though. The Hurricanes, Coyotes, and Panthers would be IMHO the most likely to move.

As befits a young team, the Sabres are up and down this year. After winning 10 straight, they lost 5 (2 in OT). They finally righted the ship against LA on Tuesday and should be able to beat Arizona tonight. Despite the recent skid, they're still in third place in their division (the only division where the top three teams have at least 40 points), but they've slipped 9 points back of division (and league) leading Tampa Bay.

The top line is doing great- Eichel and Skinner still have the chemistry. Eichel has 5 goals in his last 3 games, finally starting to score. The problem right now is injuries to the D corps and lack of production by all lines not centered by Eichel.

After Arizona the schedule gets tougher- the Capitals and Bruins are their opponents for 3 of the next 4 games. So they really need a win against the Yotes.

I don't think the NHL needs contraction, I think the expansion has been very good for the league. I mean Vegas broke all sorts of records last season in terms of attendance. I think Canada needs a few more teams, starting with Quebec City. Then London and maybe Saskatoon or Regina. Houston or San Antonio should be the next US city to get an NHL team. I'm a little worried that Tom Dundon might end up moving the 'Canes to Houston since that's where he is from. IIRC, he can't move the team for at least 10 years though.
London will never happen. They're too close to Toronto, Detroit and Buffalo; those teams would never sign off on it.

Rumor has it the Coyotes have the inside track on moving to Houston. They're on a year-to-year lease and will be in the same division as the Dallas Stars after the Seattle expansion. Houston would have a cross-state rival with the Stars which would probably spur attendance.

kjel

Super Moderator
As befits a young team, the Sabres are up and down this year. After winning 10 straight, they lost 5 (2 in OT). They finally righted the ship against LA on Tuesday and should be able to beat Arizona tonight. Despite the recent skid, they're still in third place in their division (the only division where the top three teams have at least 40 points), but they've slipped 9 points back of division (and league) leading Tampa Bay.

The top line is doing great- Eichel and Skinner still have the chemistry. Eichel has 5 goals in his last 3 games, finally starting to score. The problem right now is injuries to the D corps and lack of production by all lines not centered by Eichel.

After Arizona the schedule gets tougher- the Capitals and Bruins are their opponents for 3 of the next 4 games. So they really need a win against the Yotes.
I'm glad that Eichel is coming in to his own. He was a great draft pick.

Devils had a mixed bag of tricks on their California tour. Win against the Kings, an ugly loss against Ducks, and giveaway to the Sharks.

They play the Golden Knights tomorrow night, I'm going to that game.

kjel

Super Moderator
My team still sucks but they beat the Flyers on Saturday which I saw in person and they beat the Blackhawks last night in a pretty wild game.

Here are the Devils scoring on Cam Ward 5x in a row

Huzzah! I hate the Flyers.

The Sabres have now dropped out of a playoff spot. If they don't get their act together, they'll miss the postseason yet again. I'm still optimistic though. Just like we knew their 10-game winning streak wouldn't last forever, I don't think this funk will either. They need to get back to winning hockey, then make a valiant charge at the end of the season.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Huzzah! I hate the Flyers.

The Sabres have now dropped out of a playoff spot. If they don't get their act together, they'll miss the postseason yet again. I'm still optimistic though. Just like we knew their 10-game winning streak wouldn't last forever, I don't think this funk will either. They need to get back to winning hockey, then make a valiant charge at the end of the season.
They'll be fine. They will make the playoffs this year. It's a good team with solid play in every facet.

'Canes similarly have been on fire as of late. They beat the Sabres a few days ago with Skinner's return to Raleigh. Last night they got wrecked by the Rangers though, 6-2. I turned the game off after the 6th goal. They struggle at MSG for some reason. You have to go back to 2010 to see their last victory there.

Even if they don't make the playoffs this year, I'm pleased with how they've been playing. The young talent is absolutely insane. Aho is one of the best players in the league, no doubt top 25, and he will be a top 10 center within a year or two. Svechnikov has shown some real promise, but takes A LOT of penalties. He's currently at 22 PIM and is 3rd in the league in that regard. Not good. The AHL callups this year have been outstanding. Bishop, Maenalanen, and McKegg have all shown promise. The Checkers are also the top team in the AHL. Not by a slim margin either. Last I checked they were a full 10 points ahead of the second place team in the entire league. Goaltending down there is elite at the AHL level. Hopefully that transfers to the NHL club. We desperately need a top goalie. Mrazek and McElinney have been good, but we need more consistency there.

Rumor is that Dougie Hamilton is on the way out, possibly involved in a trade for Vladimir Tarasenko.

kjel

Super Moderator
Devils were steamrolled by Columbus last night. I didn't watch and I turned off the radio broadcast after it went 0-3. With Taylor Hall injured and the goalie situation it's not going to get better. This off season might see some actual trades happen.

Yeah, the Sabres were steamrolled by the Oilers a couple nights ago. The Sabres opened the scoring a minute into the game but, as has been happening during this downturn, they had amazing bounces go against them. They ended up losing 7-2, despite badly outshooting the Oilers. And you can't say it was lousy goaltending; it was just a case of amazingly bad puck luck.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes trade Victor Rask to the Wild in exchange for Nino Niederreiter. I really like this trade. Both players are having a down year, but Nino has much more upside. Rask just never materialized into the player we need. I've always been a fan of Nino's game too, I think he'll fit in well. A little bit bigger body who plays a slightly more physical game with the potential to add some much needed scoring.

The Wild trading for a center also probably means that Eric Staal is out soon, probably before the deadline. Where he goes, no one knows, but the rumor mill is already starting that a return to Carolina might be in the works. The Wild desperately need draft picks to get more depth in their club, so I could see us giving up a 2nd rounder and maybe a prospect (NOT NECAS). I'm just not sure Eric is what we need. TBH I'm not a huge fan of Jordan Staal anymore. He's just doesn't really fit anymore. He's a great two way center, and one of the best face off centers in the league. He's much stronger defensively than offensively though, which isn't really what we need right now. He's a forecheck monster, but I don't think the team is designed to be all that strong on the forecheck, Dundon wants offense which means not losing the puck in the offensive zone to begin with. Jordan could add considerable skill to teams with coaches that rely heavily on the forecheck (Hitchcock in Edmonton is the king of that stuff).