• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2019-20 NFL Playoffs

Doohickie

Cyburbian

Yes. Playoffs.

I thought there should have been an NFL thread but no one ever started one. Not even me. But at this point most teams are 3/4 through the season and the playoff picture is starting to come into focus.

AFC playoff picture- if the season ended today, who would be in?

1. Ravens, first place, AFC North (10-2)
2. Patriots, first place, AFC East (10-2)
3. Texans, first place, AFC South (8-4)
4. Chiefs, first place, AFC West (8-4)
5. Bills, second place, AFC East (9-3)
6. Steelers, second place, AFC West (7-5)

In the hunt:
7. Titans (7-5)
8. Raiders (6-6)
9. Colts (6-6)
10. Browns (5-7)

NFC playoff picture- who would be in?

1. 49ers, first place, NFC West (10-2)
2. Saints, champions, NFC South (10-2)
3. Packers, first place, NFC North (9-3)
4. Cowboys, first place, NFC East (6-6)
5. Seahawks, second place, NFC West (9-2)
6. Vikings, second place, NFC North (8-3)

In the hunt:
7. Rams (7-5)
8. Bears (6-6)
9. Eagles (5-7)
10. Buccaneers (5-7)
11. Panthers (5-7)

Attachments

AG74683

Cyburbian
We saw the first Super Bowl match up this weekend. Ravens vs. 49ers.

The Panthers can be removed from the "In the Hunt" portion of this. They stand no chance after losing to the freaking Redskins over the weekend.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
For the first time in a while, the Bills have a high probability of getting in, and even if they get in as a wildcard, they have a decent chance of facing a division winner with a lower record than they have. The last time they made the playoffs a couple seasons ago, it took a miracle win by Cincinnati to put them over the top. This year they control their own destiny, and even have a shot at top seed.

With their convincing win over Dallas on Thanksgiving (I was there!), the Bills are solidly in the top wildcard spot. They are only one game behind the Patriots who have dropped two of their last four. Both teams have tough schedules to close out the season, including a head-to-head game. If the Bills win out, the will certainly be in a wildcard spot, and could even catch the Patriots.

The Bills defense has been pretty solid all season, and their offense has steadily improved with the development of second-year QB Josh Allen. He's learning to progress through his reads more quickly, and also has developed better control with his passing. He's a threat to run, as many young quarterbacks are, but he's learning to use his mobility to maneuver in the pocket to keep the pass option alive longer. And the Bills haven't had this strong of a leader at QB since Jim Kelly, who's been informally talking to Allen about how to improve his game. Allen is becoming an unstoppable force.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Doesn't hurt that Sean McDermott is actually a pretty solid coach. He was a great DC but that doesn't always translate to a great HC career (just ask Wade Phillips).

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Oh, he's had his learning curve. But lately he looks pretty competent.

As a fan there's a lot to like about this Bills team. Josh Allen (I know... Josh Josh Josh Josh Josh) has grown up before our eyes. There is a great locker room with this team- witness Cole Beasley getting recognized for his great game against his former team on Thursday:

And then there's Tre White, an excellent young cornerback and the team's comic relief to keep everyone loose:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It is shocking to watch Adam Vinatieri's otherwise Hall of Fame career end the way it is. I think three Colts losses can definitely be attributed to his errant kicking, including three missed FG yesterday.

++
I watched Lamar Jackson at the University of Louisville and he was then the same exciting player he is today with the Ravens. And just as humble and hard working then as he is now. Good for him. I'm not a Ravens fan (those uniforms! Blechh!) but I'll watch Lamar all day long. Quite a performer!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It is shocking to watch Adam Vinatieri's otherwise Hall of Fame career end the way it is. I think three Colts losses can definitely be attributed to his errant kicking, including three missed FG yesterday.
Yeah, Adam needs to retire at the end of the season. He's had a great career and will end of in the HOF. However, his age is showing and needs to pull the pin. Sad to see his career end on a sour note.

zman

Cyburbian
Im just hoping that the Seahawks/Vikings game tonight keeps people at home and not at City Council.

Planit

Cyburbian
Panthers fire Rivera with 4 games left in the season. There was no hope of playoffs @ 5-7 so far...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Panthers fire Rivera with 4 games left in the season. There was no hope of playoffs @ 5-7 so far...
It needed to happen, but Norv Turner needed to go with him. IMO Norv is a larger problem than Ron was. Same set of plays over and over again.

Been a few names floated for potential HC candidates, but I'm kind of eyeing Greg Roman, the OC from Baltimore. I'd like to see the Panthers with a more offensive oriented coach. I think the defense can handle themselves with the guys we have on it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Bills ran up against a very tough Ravens team this past Sunday. The Ravens' blitz gave the Bills fits all afternoon. Even so, they had a chance to tie it on their final drive, failing to convert on a 4th down in the red zone. Few Bills highlights yesterday, especially on the offensive side. Hopefully this comes in as a learning experience so if they have to face the Ravens in the playoffs they will be just a little bit better, which could be all it takes to get by them.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Bills ran up against a very tough Ravens team this past Sunday. The Ravens' blitz gave the Bills fits all afternoon. Even so, they had a chance to tie it on their final drive, failing to convert on a 4th down in the red zone. Few Bills highlights yesterday, especially on the offensive side. Hopefully this comes in as a learning experience so if they have to face the Ravens in the playoffs they will be just a little bit better, which could be all it takes to get by them.
I watched that game with some Baltimore fans. Both teams looked good. Could be a potential playoff match up there. Honestly, I could see the Bills challenging the Pats for the division the year. I still think the Super Bowl will be a 49ers vs. Ravens match up.

Oh and the Panthers were eliminated with a terrible loss to Atlanta. Actually, both teams were eliminated. Saints locked up the division which is embarrassing.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This region has a lot of people from the Katrina diaspora and as a result there are a lot of Saints fans here. To be honest, I prefer them to the Cowboys fans.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
This region has a lot of people from the Katrina diaspora and as a result there are a lot of Saints fans here. To be honest, I prefer them to the Cowboys fans.
Saints fans are fun because the Saints sucked for so long. Cowboys and Patriots fans belong in the same category.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Bills punched their ticket Sunday night.

PLAYOFFS, BABY!!!!!

I am so * baked right now.

Went to the usual haunt, Buffalo Bros., to watch the game. Sat with my usual friends. Bought the usual couple of buckets of Labbatts. Then the table next to us bought a bucket for us. I don't know why. Then some random guy from Newcastle, UK, who's been coming around for a few weeks, decides to buy us a bucket. Then the shot of Buffalo Trace on the house because the Bills won.

I am so * baked right now.

NOBODY CIRCLES THE WAGONS LIKE THE BUFFALO BILLS!!!

¡¡¡VIVA LOS BILLS!!!

Bubba

Cyburbian
In non-playoff news, the Falcons continue to win games they shouldn't and mess up their draft position. Scoring two TDs in the final two seconds of the game against the Niners was kind of cool, though...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a patriot's fan I will say we are not at all Super-Bowl-ready so have fun, rest of the AFC! It's over imho until we re-build with a new QB and likely a new team but hey, you never know but I am not at all optimistic

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
As a patriot's fan I will say we are not at all Super-Bowl-ready so have fun, rest of the AFC! It's over imho until we re-build with a new QB and likely a new team but hey, you never know but I am not at all optimistic
Y'all have a good coach, yes I said that, but Tom needs to pull the pin. He's had a great run, but he's 42 and not getting any younger.

The Saint should have good game tonight as a warm up for the play offs. The Colts need to find another QB. Jacoby is a good back up qb. He's just not a full time starter.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Tom needs to pull the pin. He's had a great run, but he's 42 and not getting any younger.
And to think they kept him over Garoppolo....

I'm not sure the Pats are out of it yet. There are a several up-and-comers but the playoff experience the Pats have counts for something. I hope this year is it for them, to be honest. And I kind of hope the Bills are the team to knock them out.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
And to think they kept him over Garoppolo....

I'm not sure the Pats are out of it yet. There are a several up-and-comers but the playoff experience the Pats have counts for something. I hope this year is it for them, to be honest. And I kind of hope the Bills are the team to knock them out.
It would be hard to chose Garoppolo over Tom. Tom's got the credentials and the track record. However, you are rolling the dice given his age. The Colts had the same problem with their kicker. As fate would have it, they held onto Adam one year too long. It hurt them this year.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
From last night.... FIRST, here's the background material

So yeah, Tre White of the Buffalo Bills got together the Sabres to make the above promotional video for "The Tre'Davious White Goalie Academy of Louisiana at Buffalo."

So if you didn't notice, here's how Tre White introduced himself on national TV last night:

Tre White is also the guy who took a bite out of Josh Allen's turkey leg on Thanksgiving Day (see post above). The dude cracks me up.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Panthers plan to start Will Grier this weekend. Should be interesting, looking forward to it. I'm not on that hype train yet though. He didn't look the greatest in the pre-season, even against third team defenses.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
As a Lions fan, I usually pick another team to cheer for around mid-November. This year it's the Ravens because Jackson is so much fun to watch. My money is on a Ravens/Saints Super Bowl but I'd love to see the Bills make it. At the very least, I'm hoping for a Ravens/Bills AFC Championship game.

AG74683

Cyburbian
As a Lions fan, I usually pick another team to cheer for around mid-November. This year it's the Ravens because Jackson is so much fun to watch. My money is on a Ravens/Saints Super Bowl but I'd love to see the Bills make it. At the very least, I'm hoping for a Ravens/Bills AFC Championship game.
I'm still thinking Ravens/49ers, even with San Francisco's loss to the Falcons Sunday. The Falcons have played spoiler already this year, beating teams they shouldn't (the Saints included).

I just worry about Jackson. His future self is actually his backup. RGIII was electric until his injury in 2012. Jackson and RGIII are basically the same size (6' 2", 212-215 pounds). Newton managed to survive as long as he did because he's much bigger (6' 5", 245-250). He's basically done too, well before he should be.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just worry about Jackson. His future self is actually his backup. RGIII was electric until his injury in 2012. Jackson and RGIII are basically the same size (6' 2", 212-215 pounds). Newton managed to survive as long as he did because he's much bigger (6' 5", 245-250). He's basically done too, well before he should be.
I worry about Jackson's future too but he's got a few things going for him that RGIII never had - an awesome offensive line, a couple quality receiving threats in Marquis Brown and Mark Andrews that defenders cannot ignore (which frees up more space for Jackson to run), and an outstanding running back in Mark Ingram who can also catch the ball and draw away defenders. Those extra pieces have really confounded opposing defenses and given Jackson some huge holes to run through or a couple of wide open receivers multiple times each drive. That's got to save him a lot of wear and tear. Those Redskin teams a few years back with RGIII never had those pieces and it showed in how often he'd get hit or sacked.

But yes, Jackson plays a risky style but man is it fun to watch while he can still do it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
No, no, no... Packers are going to win it all with a rookie coach.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No, no, no... Packers are going to win it all with a rookie coach.
No thanks. I cannot stand the Packers. I know I should cheer for them as a fellow NFC North team, but it's not gonna happen. I'm hoping the Vikings still make the playoffs but I'm still more interested in the Saints, 49ers or Seahawks this postseason.

Planit

Cyburbian
Panthers plan to start Will Grier this weekend. Should be interesting, looking forward to it. I'm not on that hype train yet though. He didn't look the greatest in the pre-season, even against third team defenses.

Give him a shot. Nothing to worry about except to see his poise, potential and development. He's a home-town kid with most of the 'north lake people' to boost attendance late into a lame duck rest of the season.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Give him a shot. Nothing to worry about except to see his poise, potential and development. He's a home-town kid with most of the 'north lake people' to boost attendance late into a lame duck rest of the season.
I didn't realize he was from Davidson. I think it'll be interesting.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Since I'm not a college football fan, I'll start an NFL thread. The Cowboys i.e., Jerry's toy, are out. The Saints looked good. The Seahawks are in some trouble. It will be interesting to see what the Pats do.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My team won yesterday! I mean it is only 2 wins for the season, but we will get Joe Burrow!

DVD

Cyburbian
The wife, a Chief's fan, is very happy for Miami. I'm sadly a Card's fan and it really didn't matter if they played yesterday.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I married a Cowboy's fan. So much a fan that he bleeds little Cowboy stars when scratched.

He is not a happy camper again this year.

Oh well. No trips to post season games this year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Poor end to the season for the hapless Panthers. It looks like we're entering another decade of mediocrity. There are A LOT of missing pieces that need to be added to make us relevant again. QB is the biggest question mark. We probably can't afford Cam, and it's unknown whether he's even worth the price tag at this point. We have found out that Kyle Allen and Will Grier are not viable answers. Grier looks like garbage. I mean yes he's a rookie QB in his first few games, but he just looks overwhelmed and has no clue what he is doing. That does not bode well for someone this early in their career. Allen isn't bad, but he's definitely a backup. I think we need to target some of these castaway guys. Andy Dalton is likely done in Cincinnati with Joe Burrow coming to town. The Jags will need to make a decision on Foles/Minshew. I'd probably move Minshew now while his trade stock is sky high. Eli Manning will probably retire, but I still think he has gas in the tank and might be worth a 1 or 2 year gamble.

We HAVE to move the defense back to 4-3 and just throw away the defensive playbook (along with Eric Washington) for next season. We were dead last in run defense, primarily because our personnel is not 3-4 friendly. You can't just switch up a defensive scheme without adjusting for it. We desperately need to shore up the offensive line too. That's been a weak spot for us as long as I can remember. All told, I expected them to be trash this year. I think I predicted a 6-10 record, and we were dang close to that (5-11).

The playoffs should be interesting. I think the dark horse that no one is talking about are the Titans. Since Tannehill took the helm, they've been looking fantastic.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Bills will win of course. I think it will just barely be a home game for Houston. There's a lot of pent-up playoff fever in the Bills Mafia. Their playoff appearance two seasons ago was a pleasant surprise and a fluke; this time they earned it.