• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019-20 NFL Playoffs

Doohickie

Cyburbian

Yes. Playoffs.

I thought there should have been an NFL thread but no one ever started one. Not even me. But at this point most teams are 3/4 through the season and the playoff picture is starting to come into focus.

AFC playoff picture- if the season ended today, who would be in?

1. Ravens, first place, AFC North (10-2)
2. Patriots, first place, AFC East (10-2)
3. Texans, first place, AFC South (8-4)
4. Chiefs, first place, AFC West (8-4)
5. Bills, second place, AFC East (9-3)
6. Steelers, second place, AFC West (7-5)

In the hunt:
7. Titans (7-5)
8. Raiders (6-6)
9. Colts (6-6)
10. Browns (5-7)

NFC playoff picture- who would be in?

1. 49ers, first place, NFC West (10-2)
2. Saints, champions, NFC South (10-2)
3. Packers, first place, NFC North (9-3)
4. Cowboys, first place, NFC East (6-6)
5. Seahawks, second place, NFC West (9-2)
6. Vikings, second place, NFC North (8-3)

In the hunt:
7. Rams (7-5)
8. Bears (6-6)
9. Eagles (5-7)
10. Buccaneers (5-7)
11. Panthers (5-7)

Attachments

AG74683

Cyburbian
We saw the first Super Bowl match up this weekend. Ravens vs. 49ers.

The Panthers can be removed from the "In the Hunt" portion of this. They stand no chance after losing to the freaking Redskins over the weekend.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
For the first time in a while, the Bills have a high probability of getting in, and even if they get in as a wildcard, they have a decent chance of facing a division winner with a lower record than they have. The last time they made the playoffs a couple seasons ago, it took a miracle win by Cincinnati to put them over the top. This year they control their own destiny, and even have a shot at top seed.

With their convincing win over Dallas on Thanksgiving (I was there!), the Bills are solidly in the top wildcard spot. They are only one game behind the Patriots who have dropped two of their last four. Both teams have tough schedules to close out the season, including a head-to-head game. If the Bills win out, the will certainly be in a wildcard spot, and could even catch the Patriots.

The Bills defense has been pretty solid all season, and their offense has steadily improved with the development of second-year QB Josh Allen. He's learning to progress through his reads more quickly, and also has developed better control with his passing. He's a threat to run, as many young quarterbacks are, but he's learning to use his mobility to maneuver in the pocket to keep the pass option alive longer. And the Bills haven't had this strong of a leader at QB since Jim Kelly, who's been informally talking to Allen about how to improve his game. Allen is becoming an unstoppable force.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Doesn't hurt that Sean McDermott is actually a pretty solid coach. He was a great DC but that doesn't always translate to a great HC career (just ask Wade Phillips).

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Oh, he's had his learning curve. But lately he looks pretty competent.

As a fan there's a lot to like about this Bills team. Josh Allen (I know... Josh Josh Josh Josh Josh) has grown up before our eyes. There is a great locker room with this team- witness Cole Beasley getting recognized for his great game against his former team on Thursday:

And then there's Tre White, an excellent young cornerback and the team's comic relief to keep everyone loose:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It is shocking to watch Adam Vinatieri's otherwise Hall of Fame career end the way it is. I think three Colts losses can definitely be attributed to his errant kicking, including three missed FG yesterday.

++
I watched Lamar Jackson at the University of Louisville and he was then the same exciting player he is today with the Ravens. And just as humble and hard working then as he is now. Good for him. I'm not a Ravens fan (those uniforms! Blechh!) but I'll watch Lamar all day long. Quite a performer!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It is shocking to watch Adam Vinatieri's otherwise Hall of Fame career end the way it is. I think three Colts losses can definitely be attributed to his errant kicking, including three missed FG yesterday.
Yeah, Adam needs to retire at the end of the season. He's had a great career and will end of in the HOF. However, his age is showing and needs to pull the pin. Sad to see his career end on a sour note.

zman

Cyburbian
Im just hoping that the Seahawks/Vikings game tonight keeps people at home and not at City Council.

Planit

Cyburbian
Panthers fire Rivera with 4 games left in the season. There was no hope of playoffs @ 5-7 so far...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Panthers fire Rivera with 4 games left in the season. There was no hope of playoffs @ 5-7 so far...
It needed to happen, but Norv Turner needed to go with him. IMO Norv is a larger problem than Ron was. Same set of plays over and over again.

Been a few names floated for potential HC candidates, but I'm kind of eyeing Greg Roman, the OC from Baltimore. I'd like to see the Panthers with a more offensive oriented coach. I think the defense can handle themselves with the guys we have on it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Bills ran up against a very tough Ravens team this past Sunday. The Ravens' blitz gave the Bills fits all afternoon. Even so, they had a chance to tie it on their final drive, failing to convert on a 4th down in the red zone. Few Bills highlights yesterday, especially on the offensive side. Hopefully this comes in as a learning experience so if they have to face the Ravens in the playoffs they will be just a little bit better, which could be all it takes to get by them.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Bills ran up against a very tough Ravens team this past Sunday. The Ravens' blitz gave the Bills fits all afternoon. Even so, they had a chance to tie it on their final drive, failing to convert on a 4th down in the red zone. Few Bills highlights yesterday, especially on the offensive side. Hopefully this comes in as a learning experience so if they have to face the Ravens in the playoffs they will be just a little bit better, which could be all it takes to get by them.
I watched that game with some Baltimore fans. Both teams looked good. Could be a potential playoff match up there. Honestly, I could see the Bills challenging the Pats for the division the year. I still think the Super Bowl will be a 49ers vs. Ravens match up.

Oh and the Panthers were eliminated with a terrible loss to Atlanta. Actually, both teams were eliminated. Saints locked up the division which is embarrassing.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This region has a lot of people from the Katrina diaspora and as a result there are a lot of Saints fans here. To be honest, I prefer them to the Cowboys fans.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
This region has a lot of people from the Katrina diaspora and as a result there are a lot of Saints fans here. To be honest, I prefer them to the Cowboys fans.
Saints fans are fun because the Saints sucked for so long. Cowboys and Patriots fans belong in the same category.