• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019-20 NFL Playoffs

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The Vikings are lucky to be there, but they will be one and done. I'm curious to see how the Pats will will do. The Ravens are absolute monsters this years. The Niner's have looked good but have also looked pretty bad at times. I do hope the Bills will win at least one game. Houston won't get far.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I can recognize that the Bills were not going to win a Super Bowl this year. I can even deal with the fact that maybe Houston was the better team. But it seems like as a Buffalo sports fan, it isn't just that we lose the big game, it's that we get screwed out of a win by the officials. In this game, there were a couple dubious calls; the ones that stand out are the opening kickoff of the second half where the Houston player caught the ball then tossed it aside without "declaring himself down."

Rule 7. Ball in Play, Dead Ball, Scrimmage
SECTION 2 - DEAD BALL
ARTICLE 1. DEAD BALL DECLARED

An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
(d) when a runner declares himself down by:
(1) falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no effort to advance.

When he tossed the ball to the official in the end zone, the official avoided what was still a live ball. He considered the live ball a fumble, the Bills recovered, he called it a touchdown. Then another official (not an on-field official in stripes, but in a black jacket) came over and they changed the call. The ball was still live according the rule above since the player needed to either fall to the ground or kneel in addition to not making an effort to advance. He did not meet one of the necessary conditions for declaring the ball dead. Looking at the call, the original call was correct; or, at the very least, it was a penalty on the Houston player for making an illegal forward pass. A penalty committed in the end zone is a safety so at the very least the Bills should have gotten 2 points plus the ball should have been free kicked from Houston to Buffalo.

The other one that stands out was a block called as a blind side hit that was clearly made to the Houston player's front, not from behind. That turned out to be a critical play on a late Bills drive.

This is part and parcel of being a Buffalo sports fan. I'm not saying other teams never get bad calls against them, but it seems like there are critical calls that are just wrong that are made. This is just another example to throw on the pile.

And I'm not saying any of this to evoke sympathy or change anyone's mind. I just need to write this out to process this so I can get past it.

Buffalo fanning is difficult.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Sorry the Saints lost, but it wasn't because of the officiating this year. The Vikings played a heck of a game.
Sorry to see the Bills lose.
I didn't see the game, but wow with the Pats. I'm curious wether Brady hangs them up.
Kinda glade the Seahawks won. I'm impressed with Wilson

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I worry about Jackson's future too but he's got a few things going for him that RGIII never had - an awesome offensive line, a couple quality receiving threats in Marquis Brown and Mark Andrews that defenders cannot ignore (which frees up more space for Jackson to run), and an outstanding running back in Mark Ingram who can also catch the ball and draw away defenders. Those extra pieces have really confounded opposing defenses and given Jackson some huge holes to run through or a couple of wide open receivers multiple times each drive. That's got to save him a lot of wear and tear. Those Redskin teams a few years back with RGIII never had those pieces and it showed in how often he'd get hit or sacked.

But yes, Jackson plays a risky style but man is it fun to watch while he can still do it.
The thing is, Lamar is not looking to run first, then throw. He wants to be (and is) a pocket passer that can run if needs be. He's also quite good at making defenders miss when he does run.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So what are the predictions for this weekend? I'm going with the 49s, Ravens, Chiefs and Packers, though I would like to see the Seahawks upset the Packers

AG74683

Cyburbian
49ers, Ravens (but I really do think it'll be a tight game, and honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens lose), Chiefs, Seahawks.

49ers v. Seahawks for the NFC Championship, and that game could go either way.

Ravens v. Chiefs for the AFC Championship, and again, either way. It could easily be the Titans v. Chiefs though. I really like how the Titans play ball.

AG74683

Cyburbian
49ers, Ravens (but I really do think it'll be a tight game, and honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens lose), Chiefs, Seahawks.

49ers v. Seahawks for the NFC Championship, and that game could go either way.

Ravens v. Chiefs for the AFC Championship, and again, either way. It could easily be the Titans v. Chiefs though. I really like how the Titans play ball.
Well as I said, I wasn't that surprised that the Ravens lost. The Titans are much better than people think they are. Mike Varable is turning out to be a fantastic coach. I was surprised to see the Packers win. They got close to giving that game up though. I don't think they'll be able to beat the 49ers.

For my money, I think it'll be a 49ers - Chiefs Super Bowl, although I wouldn't be mad at any of the 4 teams left being in it. I think this is the best year for the NFL playoffs in a LONG time.

I was watching the pre-pregame early Sunday and they had a big piece on rushing/scrambling QB's and how they are now the future of the league rather than the exception. I'm not sure I agree with that. If I were a team owner, I'd much rather have a Brady or Manning than I would a Jackson or Newton. QB's are a significant investment, and losing one to a 5 yard scramble for a meaningless first down doesn't enthuse me much.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
As a Lions fan, I usually pick another team to cheer for around mid-November. This year it's the Ravens because Jackson is so much fun to watch. My money is on a Ravens/Saints Super Bowl but I'd love to see the Bills make it. At the very least, I'm hoping for a Ravens/Bills AFC Championship game.
Well this isn't turning out the way I expected. Tennessee is a good offensive team but their defense has been pretty inconsistent this season. They definitely showed up this weekend though! And Derek Henry has been putting on a RB clinic from about mid-season forward.

My revised prediction: KC/SF in the Super Bowl.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My revised prediction: KC/SF in the Super Bowl.
I think it is going to depend on which Green Bay team shows up to SF next weekend. If it is the same team that played earlier this year, then SF is going to destroy them again. However, If the defense is able to play two halves and the Old Man who drinks scotch (Rogers) is able to have more targets than just Adams, then I think it will be a toss up.

ESPN says that SF has a 71.9% chance of winning.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I was surprised that the Ravens tanked as bad as they did. The game really wasn't that close. I'm glad that Tannehill had a great game, after all the junk he put up with in Miami.
I thought the Chiefs were gone, but they pulled it together.
I wish the "hawks had done better.
I've got the Niners and the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I think it is going to depend on which Green Bay team shows up to SF next weekend. If it is the same team that played earlier this year, then SF is going to destroy them again. However, If the defense is able to play two halves and the Old Man who drinks scotch (Rogers) is able to have more targets than just Adams, then I think it will be a toss up.

ESPN says that SF has a 71.9% chance of winning.
Even though Adams and Jones had pretty great seasons, I'm still not sold on the Packers actually being a good team this season. If Minnesota would have been able to hold on, win the NFC North, and earn the bye, I don't think the Packers would have gotten past NO. If next Sunday's game were in Green Bay I'd expect Green Bay to have a much better chance but it's in SF. That said, San Fran has generally been great this year but when they've lost they've been awful... probably the most bipolar team left in the playoffs. So anything is possible and I agree with AG that this has been an awesome set of playoff games this postseason. There's no reason that awesomeness should end now!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday I picked up my daughter from her after school activity and took her out to dinner and she started crying because one of her best friends is going to be moving away soon. Her friend's dad is was one of the Lions coaches and was recently fired. I went through the spiel that they'll be okay and she can keep in touch with the friend and maybe visit sometime and blah blah blah but what I really wanted to say was something along the lines of, "Well, if the team didn't suck so bad and he was a better coach, he'd still have his job!"

FWIW, the Lions fired most of the coaching staff right after the season ended and it's not like this one particular coach was exceptionally bad.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I understand (Lions fan writing)
I lived in Detroit in the early 90s, when Barry Sanders was still playing. I remember seeing a Guindon cartoon of a guy sitting in a bar with a game on the TV behind the bar, and the guy saying, "Every year I want to be a Lions fan, but they won't let me."

AG74683

Cyburbian
Gonna be a good Super Bowl. I think the Chiefs will take it. They stopped Henry cold, and the 49ers won because Green Bay couldn't stop the run.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Gonna be a good Super Bowl. I think the Chiefs will take it. They stopped Henry cold, and the 49ers won because Green Bay couldn't stop the run.
I agree that it's going to be a good Super Bowl but I don't know that I'd put any money on the Chiefs. They had to come from behind in both their playoff games (albeit not so badly against the Titans) but if they fall behind against SF by a couple scores, SF's defense is probably good enough to hold them off. If they come out swinging though, I think they definitely have the advantage. I think the Chief's clearly have the better offense.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I agree that it's going to be a good Super Bowl but I don't know that I'd put any money on the Chiefs. They had to come from behind in both their playoff games (albeit not so badly against the Titans) but if they fall behind against SF by a couple scores, SF's defense is probably good enough to hold them off. If they come out swinging though, I think they definitely have the advantage. I think the Chief's clearly have the better offense.
That's true. I'm surprised how good the 49ers are. I don't think anyone was really talking about them early on. It's interesting to see how Bradyish Jimmy G has turned out to be. He's not flashy, he doesn't do anything over the top, it's just a solid consistent game with great management.

Robert Saleh and Curtis Modkins will be in high demand in next years offseason if there are any significant coaching changes. My guess is that at least one of those guys will become the new head coach of the Lions by this time next year.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It should be a great Super Bowl this year. I'm leaning toward the Niners because of the Andy Reid factor, but the game could go either way.