• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Curling National Championship

Maister

Chairman of the bored
https://curlingnationals.com/

Kalamazoo will play host to the curling nationals next week. This is actually the third time they've held the nationals here. This weekend there's going to be a meet & greet for the Olympic gold medalist. Tyler George. I admittedly waited to the last minute, but still managed to get tickets for the finals. Other fun events include 'craft beer night' which I'm sure will prominently feature local celeb Larry Bell and include a full range of his seasonals on tap.

Curling is huge in Canada, but is largely unknown in the US and gets very little media coverage. The sport has, however, experienced quiet growth during the last 20 years, as clubs are beginning to open in non-traditional places (ie. non-northern border states) like Las Vegas, NV and Charlotte, NC. I seem to recall that Dan has participated in curling, but have any others seen a bonspiel or maybe watched it on tv during the winter Olympics?

1549632810213.png1549632924807.png1549632975201.png1549633012154.png

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Little Ithaca, New York got introduced to curling a couple of years ago, with the formation of the Finger Lakes Curling Club by some friendly Canadian expats. (I'm a member.) It's an "arena club", which means we play on rented hockey/skating ice, not dedicated curling ice. Unfortunately, because ice conditions are really bad now, we won't be playing this year until the arena melts the ice, waits for the permafrost under the rink to dissipate, and rebuild the ice -- a two week to month long process. (I donated my prorated membership fee to the club's rock fund.)

We'd like to get dedicated ice, but it's going to be costly. We need a building of at least 10,000 ft2 (930 m2) for three 15' x 146' sheets, and 12,000-15,000 ft2 for four sheets, along with locker/changing rooms, a kitchen, a bar, compressor/utility room, gathering areas, and the like. Industrial space around here rents for about $15/ft2/year, which comes to about $200K-$225K per year for a four-sheet club - totally unaffordable without a wealthy patron. The most feasible option in the next few years, unfortunately, is building some basic pre-engineered metal structure in one of the surrounding low-regulation towns. I'd like to see something that can be rented out for weddings, parties, etc during the summer months. There's a LOT of timber frame builders around here that built large-span buildings.

The reborn Buffalo Curling Club took a novel approach -- adaptive redevelopment of an old industrial facility. There's more vacant industrial space in WNY, and lease costs are far lower than in Ithaca.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
What is this tomfoolery of which you speak?

Sheesh.

Nah. When played well, curling can be both fun and exciting to watch.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Shuffleboard on ice.
Nonononono....shuffleboard is what overly medicated seniors play at the retirement home between stretch class and jigsaw puzzle hour. While there may be some superficial similarities between the activities, curling is a winter sport played on the ice at the Olympic games. There is lots of strategy involved, and an even larger amount of jargon.
1549649230017.png

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Nonononono....shuffleboard is what overly medicated seniors play at the retirement home between stretch class and jigsaw puzzle hour. While there may be some superficial similarities between the activities, curling is a winter sport played on the ice at the Olympic games. There is lots of strategy involved, and an even larger amount of jargon.
View attachment 5947
If the last Olympics is any an example, there are plenty of hot women who play the sport.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That's like saying soccer is just hockey on grass.
That's a totally inaccurate description. Here, let me fix that for you:

"soccer is just hockey on grass, except a lot more boring."

You're welcome.