• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

2019 Hurricane Thread

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Here they are for this season which begins June 1.

Andrea (used)
Barry
Chantal
Dorian
Erin
Fernand
Gabrielle
Humberto
Imelda
Jerry
Karen
Lorenzo
Melissa
Nestor
Olga
Pablo
Rebekah
Sebastien
Tanya
Van

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm liking Imelda for the gulf region and Melissa for say South Carolina. Nestor sounds like a Florida problem.

Planit

Cyburbian
Brother on SE FLA coast not worried.
Mom on FLA gulf coast going to stay with friends.

I'm not worried about my brother, but I wish mom would come north. It's her b-day weekend too.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Saturday or Sunday have to watch the Weather Channel to see what city/town Jim Cantore will broadcast from.

What will be the Waffle House Index ?

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We're looking ok for now but if Dorian doesn't hook left as predicted we could get walloped. Still a little early to tell.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Meh. The superior European model is more authentic and real than the American model. :eu:

Seriously, the inlaws are in PBC. They're lowering the hurricane shutters tomorrow.

Planit

Cyburbian
A friend of mine pointed out that Mar-A-Largo could get a direct hit from Dorian.

Irony or Karma or BOTH!

My brother lives in Ft.L, he's prepping.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A friend of mine pointed out that Mar-A-Largo could get a direct hit from Dorian.
Ouch. My inlaws are a little bit to the northwest, just off the Turnpike. HVHZ and wind zone 4. They just returned from a long road trip, and they're hunkering down. They weathered Irma okay, but that made landfall in the Keys. Their house is relatively new, and it's to code.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter is in Gainesville so not sure if she should leave or not

I hope Mar-A-Largo doesn't get hit because guess who will be the recipient of all the FEMA funds will be - we don't do anything about his other ethics violations so why would we start now?

• Haha
Reactions: Dan

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Former neighbors of mine are now in Port St. Lucie. The moved in about a week ago and are still unpacking. They grew up in Puerto Rico so this is not their first hurricane...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Ooh is this your first one down here?

(I'd be surprised if we get much at all.)
Well, we are back within the "cone of uncertainty" as of the 11 am update. This thing has really slowed down. At this point just looking like some pretty significant flooding.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
National US&R Response System
Activation Orders have been issued for 16 FEMA US&R Tasks Forces to deploy for staging throughout Florida.
Type I: MD-TF1, IN-TF1, NJ-TF1, OH-TF1, PA-TF1, TN-TF1, VA-TF1, VA-TF2.
Type III: MA-TF1, MO-TF1, NY-TF1, TX-TF1.
MRP-Water: AZ-TF1, CO-TF1, NE-TF1, NV-TF1.

Type I has 70 personnel
Type III has 35 personnel
MRP - Water = Mission Ready Package - A 16 member team with a specific combination of resources that can adddess a functional need such as water rescue.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We are out of the cone but still keeping an eye on the progress. UKMet model moved to the east. Good sign for us. We completed shopping for groceries this morning. Both cars filled with gas. We'll decide in the next couple of days if the items in the yard need to be relocated.

When Dorian hits, I expect one thing: FEMA better come through like State Farm did for Cheryl's She Shed.

Reactions: Dan

DVD

Cyburbian
Is my resort covered? No Cheryl, your resort is not covered because you voted to defund FEMA.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well crap. I jinxed it by making fun of our finance director warning us about this hurricane even though it didn't look like an issue for us.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
So far so good. I'm working in our EOC today. No impacts yet but evacuations have been ordered. Just really don't know what to expect yet. A degree or two change in direction could make a big difference. It's still wait and see.

Planit

Cyburbian
Nephew is evacuating from Charleston today.

The video of Freeport airport underwater is frightening.

Its comical that tRump called out Alabama that is was going to get hit by Dorian (3 times), then try to explain that at one time it was and that press was lying. That's what you get by playing golf & monitoring the country's issues. Stable Genius!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I hear there is a chance of rain for us tomorrow...

Or it might cut power to the entire region, put a significant part under water, destroy substantial infrastructure, and create an unimaginable mess.

It all depends on the wobble...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Where's my black sharpie? I need to bring it to my next council meeting for the display map.
Personally, I suggest red. The red sharpie demands attention. The black sharpie is just another line on a map.

It's fairly dark outside here and a little windy, but nothing concerning. They closed the schools here today. I think at the very least we will have to cut a few trees out of the road, but nothing major.

Planit

Cyburbian
The White House has released an updated map on Hurricane Dorian. Alabama is still in play.
1567697698762.png

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I heard from Random Planner and she and I both fared well during Dorian. Our friends to the north not quite as much. I've spent the last two and half days in our EOC. I'm going home at 5 finally and I'm so excited about it I'm going to fall immediately asleep when I get there.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard from Random Planner and she and I both fared well during Dorian. Our friends to the north not quite as much. I've spent the last two and half days in our EOC. I'm going home at 5 finally and I'm so excited about it I'm going to fall immediately asleep when I get there.
Thank you for checking in - any other Cyburbians in the area?

DVD

Cyburbian
If I cross out NC and write in Alabama with a sharpie will that help you stay safe? Not sure what else I can do.

• Haha
Reactions: kms

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We are all good and had no damage in our area other than a few downed trees. One of my staff members had minor flooding on the road near their house about 30 minutes south of here. The sun is shining, birds are chirping, and it is now a great looking day out there.

The coast on the other hand, that is a whole different story. Ocracoke Island has 'catastrophic flooding' and the rest of the Outer Banks are dealing the the worst of it.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be down at the beach house tomorrow morning. We've had a pretty gloomy day up in North Jersey and it's definitely windy and the rain will start later.

Cape May and Atlantic City will get the worst of it-winds, rain, high tides and nuisance flooding. I expect that there will be some nuisance flooding tomorrow in my beach town along the bay but the bad weather should mostly blow out by noon.