• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Kentucky Derby

Who won the Kentucky Derby on 5/4/19?

• Maximum Security

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kms

Cyburbian
Did justice occur last Saturday? Discuss.
I noticed what looked like a dangerous cluster of horses and riders and was surprised that none fell or collided. The video I saw clearly showed the lead horse crossing lanes.

The best horse didn’t win, and was justly disqualified.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I still haven't seen a video that really shows anything. I didn't watch. I almost never watch the Kentucky Derby because it's like 384234 hours of hats and rich drunk people and then 2 minutes of "sport".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
So, to bring folks up to speed, the horse that crossed the finish line first (Maximum Security) got disqualified on a technicality and a 65-1 odds horse (Country House) that would otherwise have merely placed ended up winning the race. It's the first time it's ever happened in Derby history.

AG74683

Cyburbian
But does that video show the contact? I mean I know nothing about horse racing but nothing appears to be very obvious there.

Gedunker

Moderating
But does that video show the contact? I mean I know nothing about horse racing but nothing appears to be very obvious there.
Contact is not required for a horse to impede the progress of another horse. But, yes, there was contact as Maximum Security clipped hooves with War of Will in as many as three (!!) strides. As kms wrote, it is really a wonder that War of Will/Maximum Security didn't go tumbling and take a slew of horses with them. What a sight that would have been on national TV. Can anybody say "the end of horse racing"?

It took cajones of titanium, but the stewards made the right call in the biggest race in North America. Good on 'em.

DVD

Cyburbian
As kms wrote, it is really a wonder that War of Will/Maximum Security didn't go tumbling and take a slew of horses with them. What a sight that would have been on national TV. Can anybody say "the end of horse racing"?

It took cajones of titanium, but the stewards made the right call in the biggest race in North America. Good on 'em.
This ain't NASCAR. We can't have giant wrecks...or can we?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Neither Maximum Security nor Country House are running The Preakness. Threats of a lawsuit over the Derby ruling. The ongoing issues at Santa Anita Park. Not a good look for thoroughbred racing these days.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The main problem is that too many horses are allowed in the Derby. No other race in the Triple Crown has nearly as many horses. And yes, it was the correct call if you listen to many actual horse racing folks and not the random talking heads on TV who watch three races a year.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Slightly OT, what was the design on the Derby glass this year. I still have my collection of Derby glasses from when I lived in KY.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This ain't NASCAR. We can't have giant wrecks...or can we?
The Billy Bob's Belts and Buckles Number 7 West Stables Thoroughbred race team ran a really good race today. We got mixed up in the pack early on, but worked our way up front. The extra wedge that we put under the stirrups really made a difference out there today. We might of got a little loose around turn 4 and slid up next to the number 20 horse, but it wasn't anything different than any other dirt track. Obviously we are disappointed in the decision, but we need to regroup, and get ready for Baltimore in a few weeks.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Who won?

The people reaping the profits from the spectacle.

That's who.