• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Major League Baseball (and/or Braves Angst) Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
Let's get this started...

Los Bravos made a couple of free agent signings yesterday - Brian McCann returns home to platoon at catcher (let's see if he has anything left), and apparently Josh Donaldson will get a run a 3B if he can stay healthy. It'll be interesting to see what management does now with Carmargo - "super utility" player? RF? Trade? More importantly, though, is that the Braves added these guys without giving up any prospects (although, admittedly, I have not seen who they're going to have to try and slide through waivers to make room on the 40-man roster).

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Let's get this started...

Los Bravos made a couple of free agent signings yesterday - Brian McCann returns home to platoon at catcher (let's see if he has anything left), and apparently Josh Donaldson will get a run a 3B if he can stay healthy. It'll be interesting to see what management does now with Carmargo - "super utility" player? RF? Trade? More importantly, though, is that the Braves added these guys without giving up any prospects (although, admittedly, I have not seen who they're going to have to try and slide through waivers to make room on the 40-man roster).
Any chance Carmargo can catch? If Donaldson can stay healthy it will be nice to have some protection for Freeman in the lineup...or would Freeman be protecting Donaldson?

Gedunker

Moderating
My Redbirds acquired Arizona Diamondback 1B Paul Goldschmidt for P Luke Weaver, C Carson Kelley, and prospects. A lot of Cardinals fans wanted Josh Donaldson, but I thought he was way too much of an injury risk, so I wasn't too disappointed he ended up in Peach City.

It's nice to have a true slugger back in the line-up after the Pujols years (excepting Carlos Beltran, who was awesome, but old) and the somewhat underwhelming year Marcell Ozuna had in '18. Now, we need a lefty bench bat and a lefty reliever and I think we're ready for '19.

Bubba

Cyburbian
A lot of Cardinals fans wanted Josh Donaldson, but I thought he was way too much of an injury risk, so I wasn't too disappointed he ended up in Peach City.
Donaldson is an intriguing signing for my Braves, and a bit out of character for the current ownership. But, if he's back to 100% healthy (as reported), it's promising...plus it's just a one year deal.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Indians are reportedly open to trading both Trevor Bauer and Corey Kluber. Um, what...?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'm curious how the Cubs are going to handle the closer situation. The Die-Hard Cub fans Facebook page keeps trying to push getting Bryce Harper. I just don't think he's worth it. Plus, there are more pressing needs.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Die-Hard Cub fans Facebook page keeps trying to push getting Bryce Harper. I just don't think he's worth it. Plus, there are more pressing needs.
Harper is an odd case. He reportedly turned down 10 years/$300m from the Nats...I'm guessing some club will end up overpaying him more per year than that, and end up bitter and disappointed about three seasons into the deal.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Harper is an odd case. He reportedly turned down 10 years/$300m from the Nats...I'm guessing some club will end up overpaying him more per year than that, and end up bitter and disappointed about three seasons into the deal.
He's going for the monopoly money and I just don't think he's worth it, especially for the long term. I think they have a decent rotation and signing Hamels was a good idea. If Yu doesn't come back, no big deal. I do think they need a consistent lead off man. and they need to shore up the middle relief and get a consistent closer. I am curious what they are going to do at 2nd base.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Baby Cakes are no more.

The New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA Marlins Franchise) have been moved to Wichita, Kansas. They are having a 'name the team' contest so they aren't using their former name or their parent club - neither of which could come into play in Wichita.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The Baby Cakes are no more.

The New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA Marlins Franchise) have been moved to Wichita, Kansas. They are having a 'name the team' contest so they aren't using their former name or their parent club - neither of which could come into play in Wichita.
I wonder if New Orleans will get a new team. I went to a Zephyrs game a couple of years back. It was hotter than !@#$%$ but a fun game to watch. Baby Cakes was pretty lame and needs to go to the dust bin of stupid team names.

Planit

Cyburbian
Congrats to Mo, Moose, Edgar & Roy!!! Your 2019 HOF Class...and still without Barry or Roger.

22 days until pitchers & catchers report!

Bubba

Cyburbian
So, there's this - SunTrust (title sponsor of the Braves' ballpark) is merging and moving to Charlotte:

Planit

Cyburbian
That merger is big news here too. I didn't even think about the ballpark.

Just call it "Cobb County Taxpayers Stadium"

Bubba

Cyburbian
Wasn't that the big issue?
A made-up issue. The bottom line is that the tax rates (sales and property) for Cobb residents did not increase at all to fund the stadium. The businesses in the Cumberland CID agreeing to a self-imposed increase in property taxes, and a portion of overall county property tax revenue went towards the stadium, but the cost was not passed directly on to residents.

I lived in east Cobb at the time of the franchises's move (stupid me, moving seven miles east a year after the Braves relocated to my backyard) - the media hand-wringing over Cobb County residents footing the bill for the stadium was a load of BS.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
I am so over the whole Bryce Harper thing. Sign with somebody already, dang it.
The Giants talked to him last week during the winter meetings in Vegas. I don't see him playing in San Francisco. They don't have the money.

RIP, Frank Robinson. One of the best ever.

Planit

Cyburbian
Marlins trade away their top catcher to the Phillies. Looks like the fish will play belly up again this year.

Harper & Machado still without a team

PITCHERS & CATCHERS REPORT IN 7 DAYS! Just a week away...

Bubba

Cyburbian
Marlins trade away their top catcher to the Phillies. Looks like the fish will play belly up again this year.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25557502/jt-realmuto-trade-continues-stunningly-sad-marlins-tradition

Of the Marlins' all-time top 25 players, by WAR -- Realmuto ranks 16th -- 23 have now been traded away, rather than held onto until they reached free agency. The other two truly are the exceptions that prove the rule: A.J. Burnett and the Marlins hated each other by the end, but Burnett made it to free agency because the "much-discussed" deal to send him to Baltimore "hit a snag" when the Marlins kept trying to throw more of their players into the swap. The other, Jose Fernandez, died in a boat crash before reaching free agency. The Marlins had tried to trade him too, according to former team president David Samson; it was the other team, Samson claimed recently, that stopped the deal.

This is not normal. The Rockies, who debuted as a franchise the same year the Marlins did, have held onto nine of their all-time top 25 through free agency or retirement, and an additional four of those 25 are still on their roster. The expansion Diamondbacks have traded only 14 of their all-time 25, and even the notoriously proactive Rays have kept seven of their all-time top 25 through free agency. The Marlins are genuinely weird. They trade everybody.

Every trade tells a story. But these 23 trades together tell three bigger stories. That's the first one: The Marlins are weird, all the time. In their own way they're the most stable franchise in baseball, because their weirdness is a permanent state. Each of these trades, on its own, could be justified for baseball or financial reasons, but none of these trades any longer stands on its own. They're all part of the ongoing story of the Marlins: Whoever owns them, whoever runs them, becomes, by definition, Florida Man.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
White Sox offered 8 years for $250 million for Machado it seems.

Hmmmmm.....not sure he is worth it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was thinking of taking my daughter to a Red Sox spring training game this year while we are in Florida (we're Tigers fans but For Myers is much closer to the in-laws house than Lakeland is) but when I looked up the spring training schedule there were no games to be had after March 26th and we don't get down to Florida until the 31st. I thought that must be a mistake so I looked up when opening day was this year and saw that it's March 28th.

Didn't MLB learn their lesson last season after all the weather delays and cancellations in April for teams in the Midwest? Why start the season even earlier this year?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Didn't MLB learn their lesson last season after all the weather delays and cancellations in April for teams in the Midwest? Why start the season even earlier this year?
1. Cut the season back to 154 games (or schedule more doubleheaders), and start the season later.
2. Try to schedule the first series or two in areas generally not affected by snow in early/mid April. Might be unfair to the northern/midwestern teams, but it'll even out for them at the end of the season with the last few series.
3. Get rid of the wild card.
4. Get rid of the DH.

(Okay, the last two have nothing to do with snow-outs. So sue me. :halo:)

Planit

Cyburbian
After March 26th there should be some extended spring training going on (& with much less hype, but no MLBers unless in injury rehab. You'll probably be able to catch a Florida State League game. Port Charlotte is home to the Rays single A affiliate (the Stonecrabs).

You could run up the coast to St. Pete & watch the Rays opponent. Very easy access from the south over the Skyway Bridge. There's more away fans in the seats than Rays fans it seems and always tickets available.

Planit

Cyburbian
Mike Trout - 27 years old
12 year $426.5 million contract
Average $35.5 million per year
no trade & no opt-out clauses

Man has it made.

Planit

Cyburbian
Happy (Bastardized) Opening Day! The A's and Mariners played today in Tokyo in the 'first' game of the season.

Real Opening Day is next Thursday, March 28th!

Did some quick calculator work and figured out if Mike Trout plays every inning of every game in the next 12 years, he'll make $221,000 a game / $24,500 an inning.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Did some quick calculator work and figured out if Mike Trout plays every inning of every game in the next 12 years, he'll make $221,000 a game / $24,500 an inning.
Stupid me for not figuring out how to hit breaking pitches when I was 14. :cursing:

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Braves projected opening day lineup:

Ender Inciarte CF
Josh Donaldson 3B
Freddie Freeman 1B
Ronald Acuña Jr. LF
Nick Markakis RF
Ozzie Albies 2B
Brian McCann C
Dansby Swanson SS
Julio Teheran P

The offense (overall) will be solid...pretty good D as well (although opposing teams will run at will on McCann). The pitching is a mystery, though...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I picked my World Series teams. Diamondbacks vs. Astros. I don't know why. I barely follow baseball, but there it is!!

Really, I wish I could watch more. I'd probably be inclined to follow the Brewers, but I'd have to buy that MLB league pass I guess? I just can't bring myself to follow the Braves.

Planit

Cyburbian
Read an article that pResident tRump is the first President not to throw out the first pitch since Taft started the tradition in 1910.

Hell even FDR threw it out and he was in a wheelchair with polio!

...also Braves are the only team NOT to have won a game yet.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Dear MLB - please allow the Braves to only play home games this season. Thanks!

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Well, My White Sox are 1-3. Same ole same ole so far. Bullpen has already blown one game. I just keep telling myself that 2005 did indeed happen.

Planit

Cyburbian
Of Miami’s first five home dates this season, four have drawn less than 8,000. The game against the New York Mets on Tuesday drew just 5,934.

This is a Major League Baseball team we're talking about, not the single A affiliate in some corner of the country.

AG74683

Cyburbian
MLB TV is really pretty good. I've seen many major sports league apps that are just pure garbage, but this one is good. I got the full season package for all teams. I'll mostly be watching Milwaukee, but I went to high school with Madison Bumgarner so I thought it'd be nice to see him pitch a few regular season games rather than playoffs or random prime time spots (which will be unlikely for the Giants this year anyway).

Unfortunately the app is blocked with the work wifi. I thought it'd be unlocked because Netflix and SlingTV is, but alas, since it's a sports related thing the IT guys have it locked down. Netflix and Sling are unlocked for folks in the 911 office, so by default it's unlocked for the rest of the county too. I can't even listen to the radio broadcast I think, which is a shame because it'd be cool to listen to Bob Uker.

I ordered a Brewers hat, shirt, and coozie thing from MLB shop.

Last edited:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
MLB TV is really pretty good. I've seen many major sports league apps that are just pure garbage, but this one is good. I got the full season package for all teams. I'll mostly be watching Milwaukee, but I went to high school with Madison Bumgarner so I thought it'd be nice to see him pitch a few regular season games rather than playoffs or random prime time spots (which will be unlikely for the Giants this year anyway).

Unfortunately the app is blocked with the work wifi. I thought it'd be unlocked because Netflix and SlingTV is, but alas, since it's a sports related thing the IT guys have it locked down. Netflix and Sling are unlocked for folks in the 911 office, so by default it's unlocked for the rest of the county too. I can't even listen to the radio broadcast I think, which is a shame because it'd be cool to listen to Bob Uker.

I ordered a Brewers hat, shirt, and coozie thing from MLB shop.
I offered to split an account a few weeks back. I had no takers. I have been an app customer since 2010 when I moved out of the Giants broadcast territory to the LA market. I usually listen to the radio feed at work, and will watch if a game is on. The one downside is I only get 163 games total video feed because the other 19 are against LA, which is a blackout for me. Luckily I have cable, which comes with the crappy doyers channel. I already threw in the towel and hoping for an epic tank. 60/40 tells me madbum is as good as gone at the trade deadline.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I offered to split an account a few weeks back. I had no takers. I have been an app customer since 2010 when I moved out of the Giants broadcast territory to the LA market. I usually listen to the radio feed at work, and will watch if a game is on. The one downside is I only get 163 games total video feed because the other 19 are against LA, which is a blackout for me. Luckily I have cable, which comes with the crappy doyers channel. I already threw in the towel and hoping for an epic tank. 60/40 tells me madbum is as good as gone at the trade deadline.
Well crap, I totally missed that. I expected them to deal Madbum in the off season, I'm surprised he's still there to be honest.

Planit

Cyburbian
Braves beat the Cubbies again and now they're going Marlin fishing!

Planit

Cyburbian
Some of the promotion nights on our minor league schedule:

77th birthday of Duck Tape celebration (Duck Tape brand is made locally)
Salute to 'Scrubs'
Napoleon Dynamite night
Disney Princess night
OJ night (don't know if that's the drink or the person)
Simpson's 30th Anniversary night

AG74683

Cyburbian
There is a "Remember the Titanic Night" too. "Murder Mystery Night" sounds kinda cool but I think it'll end up very dumb somehow.

The OJ night is so insane though!! It literally says "A tribute night to OJ? Which one? We don't even know. Get ready for an interesting night. Dress up as OJ for a discounted $6 ticket". WTF?!

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
Washington Nats batted their pitcher in the 8th spot today against the Mets. I'm sure this has happened before.