• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Major League Baseball (and/or Braves Angst) Thread

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Giants beat the Crockies in 18 innings last night and into this morning. Giants used the whole bullpen. :wow:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm enjoying watching so far. The Brewers are good but I think they have pitching issues. They seem to be playing from behind a lot. Their offense has been keeping up okay, but they have to stop these big run 1st innings.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Fun game between the Rangers and A's yesterday. The Rangers came back from a 7-2 deficit to win 8-7, basically paying back Oakland for doing the same to them on Friday.

The game featured Elvis Andrus stealing home (on a lackadaisical toss from the pitcher to hold the runner at 1st), and Delino Deshields laying down a bunt with two out and beating it out for a hit, to bring the runner home from third for the winning run.

Planit

Cyburbian
Jason Heyward has been in the league for 10 years now. Time flies man!

My brother & I were there to see his first game. In his first at bat, he looked at the 1st pitch & then proceeded to launch the 2nd pitch over the right field fence.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Braves' bullpen is a dumpster fire (and has generally been on all season). Yet, Craig Kimbrel remains unsigned because reasons. :cursing:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Rangers are fun again. After shutting out the Angels yesterday (Mike Minor's first complete game shutout at the MLB level), one of the reporters pointed out that at this time last year, the Rangers were 5-11, now they're 9-7. Not exactly world beaters but definitely coming together.

Elvis Andrus is becoming an unstoppable force.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Rangers are fun again. After shutting out the Angels yesterday (Mike Minor's first complete game shutout at the MLB level), one of the reporters pointed out that at this time last year, the Rangers were 5-11, now they're 9-7. Not exactly world beaters but definitely coming together.

Elvis Andrus is becoming an unstoppable force.
Rangers? More like the Texas Ex-Braves...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've picked a good year to start watching. The Brewers are really good. I think their pitching is still a little suspect though. They are getting a few of their injured pitchers back though which should help. So far the offense has made up for the defensive issues.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers? More like the Texas Ex-Braves...
Baseball trades do happen.

They are getting a few of their injured pitchers back though which should help. So far the offense has made up for the defensive issues.
Same with the Rangers. Three of their starting 5 are coming off Tommy John surgery, so their bullpen has been busy by design. I think the feeling is that if they can get past the early part of the season, the starting arms will improve as the season goes on. But Smyly, Miller and Volquez are not carrying a starter's load at the moment.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Baseball trades do happen.
I just tend to notice clusters of ex-Braves since that's the team I follow. For years it seemed like the Royals' idea of building their team was grabbing every former Brave they could find (their GM was the former director of scouting for the Braves, iirc). The D-backs had at least two or three former Braves farmhands in their starting nine last night.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm a Buffalo Sabres fan and they're going through a rebuild. I'm watching the NHL playoffs and noticing all the ex-Sabres having varying degrees of success with other teams.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Painful last night! Walking in the winning run in the 10th inning. I guess they wanted to get home since it was getting late.
Sooooooo frustrating. Decent starting pitching, even with the starting five in a bit of flux. Good offense. Good defense (minus the inability to throw out base stealers). But, the steaming pile of crap that is the bullpen keeps snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Just read an AP story that said Red's slugger Joey Votto popped out to the first baseman for the first time in his major league career, totalling 1,592 games!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Brewers have dropped a lot lately. I think they are 13-10 now, which sucks. Pitching really isn't very good. They give up a LOT of early runs and then have to fight back in games.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Painful last night! Walking in the winning run in the 10th inning. I guess they wanted to get home since it was getting late.
The Rangers saw a 10-1 lead evaporate to the Astros, who had late inning rallies of 5, 2 and 2 runs. Luckily the Rangers squeaked in another run and held on for an 11-10 win. They left the starter in a little too long, and their closer, Jose Leclerc, was totally ineffective, allowing a home run and 4 walks in the ninth inning. They finally brought in a different pitcher to get the final out and escape with a win. Leclerc has had similar issues in the past; basically a mechanics issue that kept him from dropping his changeup in the strike zone, and the Astros recognized it.

Still, a win is a win. The Rangers are 12-8 and only 1.5 games behind Seattle for the division lead.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Annnd the Brewers suck now. That pitching is just God awful. They have like a 5.6 ERA as a team, good for like 25th in the league. Ugh.

Planit

Cyburbian
2019 has its first no-no of the year.

Oakland pitcher Fiers threw it last night against the Reds (which is better than throwing a no-hitter against ... say the Marlins).

Bubba

Cyburbian
Braves call up top prospect Austin Riley.

Outfielder Ender Inciarte exited Tuesday’s game with lower back tightness and will likely require a stint on the injured list, opening the door for Riley.

Riley, the team’s consensus top position prospect, has started four of the past six games in left field for Triple-A Gwinnett. He’d presumably man that spot in the majors, shifting Ronald Acuna to center in Inciarte’s absence.

The 22-year-old Riley hit a grand slam Tuesday, continuing what’s been the hottest streak in the International League. He’s homered 15 times in 144 at-bats, and in 13 of his past 18 games.

Riley has hit .360 with a 1.478 OPS in May. Despite his scorching-the-earth play, the Braves didn’t have a clear spot to play him in the majors, with Josh Donaldson locked into Riley’s natural position. Inciarte’s injury provided an avenue.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
...and they haven't won since then. :( But they're still within 2 games of Seattle. :)
Well that didn't last, did it? Rangers are 9 games out of first, 4 games out of a wild card spot. There is still hope, but not even at .500 at the moment.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Braves call up top prospect Austin Riley.
Crushed a fastball for a long HR to left center for his second major league AB (after striking out his first time up). The kid has effortless power, but he's a third baseman having to play LF for now - we'll see how this goes...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
As long as he has speed, the transition to the outfield should be workable. Being a 3B, he should have the arm. Joey Gallo came up as a 1B/3B but is pretty much a full-time OF now.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Little did I realize when the Rangers scored even more runs to get to 10-2, that they would need all those insurance runs. The Mariners made it close, losing 10-9 to the Rangers last night. In the Rangers' defense, they put one or two of their marginal bullpen guys out there; one loaded the bases and allowed a grand slam.

By the way, remember the name Daniel Vogelbach for the Mariners. Dude is 6'-0", 250+ lb. All I can think is when I see the guy bat is "Mongo see ball. Mongo punish ball. Bad ball!" He hit a line drive home run last night that got out of the park in about 2 seconds. Just killed it. He's tied for second for HRs in the American League.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
...and the bullpen blew yet another game in the 9th inning last night. :cursing:

C'mon bubba, let's grab our gloves and give it a try. Can't be any worse I'm guessing.

...meanwhile Craig Kimbrell is still unemployed.

Bubba

Cyburbian
C'mon bubba, let's grab our gloves and give it a try. Can't be any worse I'm guessing.

...meanwhile Craig Kimbrell is still unemployed.
I had a modified Dan Quisenberry delivery back in the day - not sure just how many different body parts I would injure if I tried that now...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh God we are getting destroyed by the Marlins. 16-0 in the first game, 8-3 in the second. Ugh.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Oh God we are getting destroyed by the Marlins. 16-0 in the first game, 8-3 in the second. Ugh.
They keep going for the 2-pt conversion after touchdowns? Sounds like y'all need to work on your goal line defense. At least your place kicker seems solid...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Meanwhile in Texas, the Rangers are hanging around the last wildcard spot. Their starting pitching includes some young arms that seem to be improving as the season progresses, so hopefully they will improve as a team going forward.

They're playing the Orioles right now. It seems like they take the Rangers' cast-offs and make something of them. Chris Davis had several excellent years after going over to Baltimore. Their latest Ranger reconciliation project is Hanser Alberto, who had trouble staying above the Mendoza Line with Texas but is batting .303 with Baltimore.

Getting back to the Rangers, Delino DeShields is batting over .500 since his recall from AAA with the Joey Gallo injury, including an RBI single in the bottom of the 12th last night to drive in the winning run. He was demoted after flirting with the Mendoza Line himself early in the season.

AG74683

Cyburbian
They keep going for the 2-pt conversion after touchdowns? Sounds like y'all need to work on your goal line defense. At least your place kicker seems solid...
They only win games when the offense is going. They have zero defense and pitching is atrocious. They have to figure out how to add some pieces here soon or the season is done. Bumgarner from SF might help. Keuchel would be good too if the Yankees don't get him. The starting rotation just isn't getting it done, and the bullpen is shaky at best. Hader really hasn't been playing great ball. He blew a save vs. the Pirates last week. Thankfully, the Pirates closer blew his save right after and we managed to win in 13, but it's still not good.

I speak to the offense, but they win on solo or two run HR's only. Rarely do they get anyone on base. They do well at SB's though. I think we are in the top 10 there.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Braves apparently signed Dallas Keuchel last night (one year, $20 mil deal prorated to $13 mil).

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Braves apparently signed Dallas Keuchel last night (one year, $20 mil deal prorated to $13 mil).
Good deal, that'll be an immediate impact signing. I wish the Brew Crew would have snagged him. We desperately need starting rotation pitchers.

We finally beat the Marlins last night.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Getting back to the Rangers, Delino DeShields is batting over .500 since his recall from AAA with the Joey Gallo injury, including an RBI single in the bottom of the 12th last night to drive in the winning run.
He did it again yesterday, getting the hit in the 5th inning to score the go-ahead run (no RBI due to a fielding error that allowed the runner to score from 1st on a single), then scored the eventual winning run on a sac fly. Rangers have won 15 of their last 21.

Planit

Cyburbian
Good pick up for Bravos. It'll be interesting to see things ramp up as the trade deadline starts getting closer. Pitching must be an issue for almost every team.

We have tickets for Saturday night when our local MiLB team changes it's name and uniforms (Las Llamas) for MiLB's diversity program - which are across all minor league teams. I hope it doesn't rain us out.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Good pick up for Bravos. It'll be interesting to see things ramp up as the trade deadline starts getting closer. Pitching must be an issue for almost every team.
I think it's a need for most teams most of the time. Plus, pitchers seems to have a pretty short shelve life.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Pitching must be an issue for almost every team.
For the Texas Rangers, the pitching has seen steady improvement. They brought in several pitchers coming off Tommy John surgery.... they're either making it or they're out of the rotation, and they've brought up a couple of younger guys that are showing they're ready for the majors. Not perfect but encouraging (example last night: Ariel Jurado pitched 6 innings of 3 run ball. Not Cy Young caliber, but good enough for the Rangers to squeak out a win.)

The bullpen is going through a similar curve. Early on Jose Leclerc was the obvious closer but he lost his groove and confidence. Now Shawn Kelley has closing duties, but Leclerc is back on the rise after working on some mechanics. And Jesse Chavez, a middle reliever, has a 20+ inning scoreless streak going, the best in the majors. The Rangers have also had success using Leclerc and Chavez as openers.

One thing that was been a pleasant surprise with rookie manager Chris Woodward is how well he's been handling the pitching staff and the roster in general. Every roster move seems to work, aside from a brief slump earlier this year. He does it with a lot of empathy and respect, but if you're not producing, you don't play. The players have responded well to it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We have tickets for Saturday night when our local MiLB team changes it's name and uniforms (Las Llamas) for MiLB's diversity program - which are across all minor league teams. I hope it doesn't rain us out.
That promotion looks really cool! I want one of those Las Llamas hats.

Planit

Cyburbian
MiLB Baseball teams have several - how should I say - interesting nicknames.

Occasionally they change their names for certain promotions like our local team here this weekend. Some teams go all out too for one-off promotions.

Case in point, the Down East Wood Ducks (Kinston, NC Advanced A affiliate of Doohickie's beloved Rangers) will become the Kinston Collard Greens. Here's one even better/worse depending on your perspective: the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (A affiliate of AG's beloved Brewers) will become the Wisconsin Udder Tuggers for their "Salute to Cows" promotion.

Bubba

Cyburbian
MiLB Baseball teams have several - how should I say - interesting nicknames.

Occasionally they change their names for certain promotions like our local team here this weekend. Some teams go all out too for one-off promotions.

Case in point, the Down East Wood Ducks (Kinston, NC Advanced A affiliate of Doohickie's beloved Rangers) will become the Kinston Collard Greens. Here's one even better/worse depending on your perspective: the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (A affiliate of AG's beloved Brewers) will become the Wisconsin Udder Tuggers for their "Salute to Cows" promotion.
The Durham Lollygaggers is my favorite this season.