• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Major League Baseball (and/or Braves Angst) Thread

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
Giants beat the Crockies in 18 innings last night and into this morning. Giants used the whole bullpen. :wow:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm enjoying watching so far. The Brewers are good but I think they have pitching issues. They seem to be playing from behind a lot. Their offense has been keeping up okay, but they have to stop these big run 1st innings.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Fun game between the Rangers and A's yesterday. The Rangers came back from a 7-2 deficit to win 8-7, basically paying back Oakland for doing the same to them on Friday.

The game featured Elvis Andrus stealing home (on a lackadaisical toss from the pitcher to hold the runner at 1st), and Delino Deshields laying down a bunt with two out and beating it out for a hit, to bring the runner home from third for the winning run.

Planit

Cyburbian
Jason Heyward has been in the league for 10 years now. Time flies man!

My brother & I were there to see his first game. In his first at bat, he looked at the 1st pitch & then proceeded to launch the 2nd pitch over the right field fence.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Braves' bullpen is a dumpster fire (and has generally been on all season). Yet, Craig Kimbrel remains unsigned because reasons. :cursing:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Rangers are fun again. After shutting out the Angels yesterday (Mike Minor's first complete game shutout at the MLB level), one of the reporters pointed out that at this time last year, the Rangers were 5-11, now they're 9-7. Not exactly world beaters but definitely coming together.

Elvis Andrus is becoming an unstoppable force.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Rangers are fun again. After shutting out the Angels yesterday (Mike Minor's first complete game shutout at the MLB level), one of the reporters pointed out that at this time last year, the Rangers were 5-11, now they're 9-7. Not exactly world beaters but definitely coming together.

Elvis Andrus is becoming an unstoppable force.
Rangers? More like the Texas Ex-Braves...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've picked a good year to start watching. The Brewers are really good. I think their pitching is still a little suspect though. They are getting a few of their injured pitchers back though which should help. So far the offense has made up for the defensive issues.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers? More like the Texas Ex-Braves...
Baseball trades do happen.

They are getting a few of their injured pitchers back though which should help. So far the offense has made up for the defensive issues.
Same with the Rangers. Three of their starting 5 are coming off Tommy John surgery, so their bullpen has been busy by design. I think the feeling is that if they can get past the early part of the season, the starting arms will improve as the season goes on. But Smyly, Miller and Volquez are not carrying a starter's load at the moment.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Baseball trades do happen.
I just tend to notice clusters of ex-Braves since that's the team I follow. For years it seemed like the Royals' idea of building their team was grabbing every former Brave they could find (their GM was the former director of scouting for the Braves, iirc). The D-backs had at least two or three former Braves farmhands in their starting nine last night.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm a Buffalo Sabres fan and they're going through a rebuild. I'm watching the NHL playoffs and noticing all the ex-Sabres having varying degrees of success with other teams.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Painful last night! Walking in the winning run in the 10th inning. I guess they wanted to get home since it was getting late.
Sooooooo frustrating. Decent starting pitching, even with the starting five in a bit of flux. Good offense. Good defense (minus the inability to throw out base stealers). But, the steaming pile of crap that is the bullpen keeps snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Gedunker

Moderating
Just read an AP story that said Red's slugger Joey Votto popped out to the first baseman for the first time in his major league career, totalling 1,592 games!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Brewers have dropped a lot lately. I think they are 13-10 now, which sucks. Pitching really isn't very good. They give up a LOT of early runs and then have to fight back in games.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Painful last night! Walking in the winning run in the 10th inning. I guess they wanted to get home since it was getting late.
The Rangers saw a 10-1 lead evaporate to the Astros, who had late inning rallies of 5, 2 and 2 runs. Luckily the Rangers squeaked in another run and held on for an 11-10 win. They left the starter in a little too long, and their closer, Jose Leclerc, was totally ineffective, allowing a home run and 4 walks in the ninth inning. They finally brought in a different pitcher to get the final out and escape with a win. Leclerc has had similar issues in the past; basically a mechanics issue that kept him from dropping his changeup in the strike zone, and the Astros recognized it.

Still, a win is a win. The Rangers are 12-8 and only 1.5 games behind Seattle for the division lead.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Annnd the Brewers suck now. That pitching is just God awful. They have like a 5.6 ERA as a team, good for like 25th in the league. Ugh.

Planit

Cyburbian
2019 has its first no-no of the year.

Oakland pitcher Fiers threw it last night against the Reds (which is better than throwing a no-hitter against ... say the Marlins).

Bubba

Cyburbian
Braves call up top prospect Austin Riley.

Outfielder Ender Inciarte exited Tuesday’s game with lower back tightness and will likely require a stint on the injured list, opening the door for Riley.

Riley, the team’s consensus top position prospect, has started four of the past six games in left field for Triple-A Gwinnett. He’d presumably man that spot in the majors, shifting Ronald Acuna to center in Inciarte’s absence.

The 22-year-old Riley hit a grand slam Tuesday, continuing what’s been the hottest streak in the International League. He’s homered 15 times in 144 at-bats, and in 13 of his past 18 games.

Riley has hit .360 with a 1.478 OPS in May. Despite his scorching-the-earth play, the Braves didn’t have a clear spot to play him in the majors, with Josh Donaldson locked into Riley’s natural position. Inciarte’s injury provided an avenue.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
...and they haven't won since then. :( But they're still within 2 games of Seattle. :)
Well that didn't last, did it? Rangers are 9 games out of first, 4 games out of a wild card spot. There is still hope, but not even at .500 at the moment.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Braves call up top prospect Austin Riley.
Crushed a fastball for a long HR to left center for his second major league AB (after striking out his first time up). The kid has effortless power, but he's a third baseman having to play LF for now - we'll see how this goes...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
As long as he has speed, the transition to the outfield should be workable. Being a 3B, he should have the arm. Joey Gallo came up as a 1B/3B but is pretty much a full-time OF now.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Little did I realize when the Rangers scored even more runs to get to 10-2, that they would need all those insurance runs. The Mariners made it close, losing 10-9 to the Rangers last night. In the Rangers' defense, they put one or two of their marginal bullpen guys out there; one loaded the bases and allowed a grand slam.

By the way, remember the name Daniel Vogelbach for the Mariners. Dude is 6'-0", 250+ lb. All I can think is when I see the guy bat is "Mongo see ball. Mongo punish ball. Bad ball!" He hit a line drive home run last night that got out of the park in about 2 seconds. Just killed it. He's tied for second for HRs in the American League.

Last edited:

Bubba

Cyburbian
C'mon bubba, let's grab our gloves and give it a try. Can't be any worse I'm guessing.

...meanwhile Craig Kimbrell is still unemployed.
I had a modified Dan Quisenberry delivery back in the day - not sure just how many different body parts I would injure if I tried that now...