• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Major League Baseball (and/or Braves Angst) Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
The first place in the NL East Braves apparently signed Dallas Keuchel last night (one year, $20 mil deal prorated to $13 mil).
Seven scoreless innings in his first outing at Single A against a bunch of 19-year old kids, will get a second minor league start for the Braves' AA club.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Maggilo Ordonez
Carlos Lee

Both played for the White Sox for multiple years.
I remember Magglio more as a Tiger than I do as a White Sox even though he was with them about the same amount of time. Carlos Lee was a Brewer for one year, but I don't really know much about him.

IIRC the most famous current Crawdad in baseball is Andrew McCutchen (RIP to his ACL).

Planit

Cyburbian
I remember Magglio more as a Tiger than I do as a White Sox even though he was with them about the same amount of time. Carlos Lee was a Brewer for one year, but I don't really know much about him.

IIRC the most famous current Crawdad in baseball is Andrew McCutchen (RIP to his ACL).
McCutchen is the bobblehead in the Pittsburgh Pirates cap, wearing a Crawdads uniform & holding the 2013 NL MVP plaque.

You might also see 2 Madison Bumgarners in there too (one in SCHS uniform and the other in a Giants uni holding World Series trophy).

AG74683

Cyburbian
McCutchen is the bobblehead in the Pittsburgh Pirates cap, wearing a Crawdads uniform & holding the 2013 NL MVP plaque.

You might also see 2 Madison Bumgarners in there too (one in SCHS uniform and the other in a Giants uni holding World Series trophy).
I could not for the life of me figure out what that red one was, and now I know. Weird to see my own high school logo on a bobble head for a kid I grew up with.

Brewers have a series with the Giants this weekend. Madison is starting tomorrow afternoon.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Weird to see my own high school logo on a bobble head for a kid I grew up with.
Nice. I grew up with a couple of guys that had fair-to-middling NFL careers. The local kids that had MLB careers went to the other high school.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Let's get this started...

Los Bravos made a couple of free agent signings yesterday - Brian McCann returns home to platoon at catcher (let's see if he has anything left), and apparently Josh Donaldson will get a run a 3B if he can stay healthy.
Donaldson finally seems to be rounding into form - had an awesome series at the plate against the Phillies. Someone will sign him to a very nice deal next season if he can keep it rolling and stay healthy.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers are hanging in there. They went 4-of-7 on the just completed road trip, a decided improvement on the early season when they lost most road games. They split with the Red Sox (with whom they are tied for the last wildcard spot); a disappointment after going up 2-0 in the series. They had a chance to sweep Cinci but Rangers starter Ariel Jurado showed he's still a rookie. The sinkerballer just couldn't get his pitches to sink and the Red lit him up pretty good. Their pitching is improving but they're not there yet.

The injury bug is nibbling away at the team. Most notably Joey Gallo is on the IL for a quad strain, and their RBI leader, Hunter Pence, may have a groin strain suffered in yesterday's game. Willie Calhoun is due back and will replace Pence on the roster if Pence is out. (If not, the Rangers run into a roster crunch and someone needs to go down to Nashville.)

Tonight they come home to start a series against the Indians, another team nipping at their wildcard heels; currently Cleveland is only a half game back. It should be a hard fought series, but the Rangers have been far better at home than on the road so hopefully they will take this series and keep pace with the Red Sox.

It's fun to be in a playoff race.

Planit

Cyburbian
Interesting piece of news out of Tampa Bay, the Rays wants to split their schedule and play half their games in Montreal. The Rays have wanted to leave Tropicana Field since they moved in - it wasn't a good place to ball baseball when it was built.

I was born & raised there and I support the team (so to say), but I never thought the idea of MLB baseball in Florida (this includes Miami) was a good idea. Way to many other things to do plus the fact that Spring Training was a Florida (& Arizona) iconic event in baseball. The original home of Spring Training was Al Lang Field in St. Pete where the 1st teams came in the mid-1920s. The USL1 soccer Tampa Bay Rowdies now play there.

When Terminator moves that way, he can still go to a baseball game.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Interesting piece of news out of Tampa Bay, the Rays wants to split their schedule and play half their games in Montreal. The Rays have wanted to leave Tropicana Field since they moved in - it wasn't a good place to ball baseball when it was built.
This is frustrating only because it sets the groundwork for Tampa to move up to Montreal. They had their chance at a baseball team and lost it when the Expos left (although that was really hardly the fault of the city, it was poor ownership that ended them more than anything). The Carolina's desperately need an MLB or MLS team. Everyone will argue that the Braves and Nationals control the market here, but that same argument was around for the Panthers with the Falcons/Redskins market too, and it's worked out well for them.

I mean look at the Charlotte Knights. They were the 2018 minor league baseball attendance champion. They are one of minor league baseball's most valuable teams. A full MLB team would absolutely work in Charlotte. Ideally it would be an NL team so they can somehow slot in the east and match up against the Nationals and Braves, but I'd take anything local at this point.

I'm even more annoyed since the Brewers have dropped 4 in a row now. They lost every one in San Diego and now dropped a 7-1 game against the freaking Reds in Milwaukee. One of the worst hitting teams in baseball managed to put up 7 runs against them in their own ball park.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

I was born & raised there and I support the team (so to say), but I never thought the idea of MLB baseball in Florida (this includes Miami) was a good idea. Way to many other things to do plus the fact that Spring Training was a Florida (& Arizona) iconic event in baseball. The original home of Spring Training was Al Lang Field in St. Pete where the 1st teams came in the mid-1920s. The USL1 soccer Tampa Bay Rowdies now play there.

When Terminator moves that way, he can still go to a baseball game.
I always thought baseball was a tough sell in Florida. I kinda agree with AG about relocating to one of the Carolina cities. I also agree with idea that Montreal had it's shot, but lost it.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I always thought baseball was a tough sell in Florida. I kinda agree with AG about relocating to one of the Carolina cities. I also agree with idea that Montreal had it's shot, but lost it.
The Marlins moving to Charlotte would make sense to me. I'm a little intrigued by the possibility of MLB returning to Montreal (and I think the league may view it as a chance to right a wrong), but if the Rays don't end up there, then where? San Antonio...Portland...Vegas?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The Marlins moving to Charlotte would make sense to me. I'm a little intrigued by the possibility of MLB returning to Montreal (and I think the league may view it as a chance to right a wrong), but if the Rays don't end up there, then where? San Antonio...Portland...Vegas?
Washington had been wanting a team there since they lost the Senators. I'm sure that greased the skids to get the Expos there. Since I visit San Antonio on a regular basis, it kinda makes sense and kinda doesn't. I've been a game there, and it's an ok as baseball goes. It would definite need to be a domed stadium. I don't think Portland would support a team. With Vegas, you get the same problem as with Florida. There is too much other stuff to do in Vegas.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Marlins would be a much better team to move, considering they're already in the NL East. Charlotte doesn't really have any great available land for a baseball park though. The Charlotte Knights park isn't large enough for an MLB move.

Honestly MLB really needs to look at new expansion teams in general. They are basically a stagnant league. No expansion in over 20 years now. The NHL is growing incredibly fast and it's working well for them. I suppose it's a little easier for them to expand though since an NHL rink can be played in the same building as a basketball team so that definitely helps.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Uh no. If anything baseball needs contraction, not expansion. Pitching is a joke in general. It's too watered down now.

Planit

Cyburbian
Actually, Charlotte Knights (AAA) stadium is designed for expansion to MLB specs. It's pretty cool the way they incorporated it. An upper deck behind the plate & down the lines with left & center field area for new construction. I remember the Observer doing an article on it a few years back.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Actually, Charlotte Knights (AAA) stadium is designed for expansion to MLB specs. It's pretty cool the way they incorporated it. An upper deck behind the plate & down the lines with left & center field area for new construction. I remember the Observer doing an article on it a few years back.

View attachment 24687
Oh awesome! I've always heard the exact opposite. I've never been to a game in Charlotte, but I have been to Durham. The Bulls stadium is really nice, so I can imagine how great Charlotte is.

In other news, I bought MLB 19 The Show for PS4 over the weekend because I can't get enough baseball apparently. I made a "Road to the Show" player, basically the be a pro mode. He's a shortstop (although I got moved to 2B a few games ago which probably isn't good). I am currently on a 28 game hit streak. I don't really hit it deep, and I'm not a home run monster (I only have 4 HR's so far), but I'm regularly getting singles and doubles, and lead the team in RBI's. I still have no clue what I'm doing though. I have all the defensive stuff set to auto mode because I struggle with a lot of things. The base running is problematic, and I often ended up running past bases and got stuck in the middle somewhere.

Planit

Cyburbian
AND this evenings promotion at the local MiLB game is OJ Night!

I'm thinking its not about an orange juice celebration...more like related to a white Bronco type thing.

Bubba

Cyburbian

I'm thinking its not about an orange juice celebration...more like related to a white Bronco type thing.
25th anniversary of the slow motion police chase.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Nice! Enjoy the Carolina Marlins.
I'm fine with that really. Derek Jeter does have limited connections in NC, since he played for Greensboro back in the day.

I am dying to know what this is.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Actually, Charlotte Knights (AAA) stadium is designed for expansion to MLB specs.
The Buffalo Bisons' Sahlen Field was also built for expansion to major league standards, but the city of Buffalo has since realized that MLB will never return to Buffalo.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Texas Rangers have a well-deserved day off after playing 21 games in 20 days (yes you read that right.... they played 20 consecutive days including a double header). After their most grueling stretch of the season they find themselves a half game out of WC spot, and only 6.5 games behind Houston, having gained a few games on the Astros in the last week or two. It's been a fun season for the Rangers.

Even with the losses you see hope for the future: they have a couple of young pitchers in their starting rotation, and sometimes they take some horrible losses, but they also put up some really good games. Adrian Samson recently overcame 2 blowout losses to get back in the win column, going 6-2 in his last 8 decisions. Both their young pitchers, Samson and Ariel Jurado, have winning records.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
25th anniversary of the slow motion police chase.
Was the 17th. I know this because that was my wedding night. Somehow I knew it would be memorable, just didn’t expect that to be the defining moment

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
TBH, Montreal isn't a good baseball town. This thing is contingent on getting a stadium built in both towns. The trop is garbage. Having the rays move to Charlotte would be optimal, as they still could have good division battles between the yanks and the O's when they aren't struggling.

As for the Fish, Miami is not a good fit. Maybe growing the sport is say Nashville, Memphis, or NO, or even better mexico. Monterrey may be a good place to grow baseball, but it would never happen.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Figured it was close to the date.
We did a very, very casual Friday wedding and stayed in a historic hotel in downtown Louisville that night. We were enjoying drinks in the bar when the NBA playoff game was letter-boxed for a car chase. Since we were too far from the TV to see what was going on, we asked our server, who filled us in. I remember thinking "well, this will be hard to forget". Pretty much.

Bubba said:
Yes. Yes, indeed.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I bought that MLB The Show 2019 and have been having fun with it so far. I've mostly been playing the Road to the Show (Be a Pro) mode. My guy plays for the Birmingham Barons in the Southern League (AA ball) in the White Sox system. I started as a short stop but got moved to second base full time. He has an insane .438 batting average through May, and leads the league in OPS, slugging percentage, and hits. He's like second in home runs and RBI's too. He's not really a power hitter, just has fantastic vision and ability to move the ball around the field.

Last night I tried the Diamond Dynasty mode. Basically it's a team building card type system. I have to control all the players including the pitcher. I did not realize that once you substitute a DH for your pitcher, the pitcher leaves the game and the position player ends up as the pitcher. And that is how Jose Bautista ended up pitching an inning. He was not bad, and only got 2 hits against him.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers are still hanging around the 2nd WC spot, in a tie with Boston and Cleveland. But they've crept up to only 6.5 games back of Houston for the division lead, and when people interview the team about playoffs they all say the division pennant is their goal. I think it's do-able but they're going to have to beat the Astros straight up to do it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We did a very, very casual Friday wedding and stayed in a historic hotel in downtown Louisville that night. We were enjoying drinks in the bar when the NBA playoff game was letter-boxed for a car chase. Since we were too far from the TV to see what was going on, we asked our server, who filled us in. I remember thinking "well, this will be hard to forget". Pretty much.

Yes. Yes, indeed.
Some foreshadowing/bad omens perhaps?

Planit

Cyburbian
Here's one for LP,

The Portland Sea Dogs will become the Maine Whoppie Pies for a couple games.

Not sure, but it looks like Whoppie Pies are what we call Moon Pies in the South.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Whoopie Pies, not Whoppie Pies. I think. And I grew up in yankeeland and I called them Moon Pies.

Planit

Cyburbian
Here's your All Star Starting Lineups!

American League
Catcher:
Gary Sanchez, New York Yankees
First base: Carlos Santana, Cleveland Indians
Second base: DJ LeMahieu, New York Yankees
Shortstop: Jorge Polanco, Minnesota Twins
Third base: Alex Bregman, Houston Astros
Outfield: Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
Outfield: George Springer, Houston Astros
Outfield: Michael Brantley, Houston Astros
Designated Hitter: Hunter Pence, Texas Rangers

National League
Catcher:
Willson Contreras, Chicago Cubs
First base: Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves
Second base: Ketel Marte, Arizona Diamondbacks
Shortstop: Javier Baez, Chicago Cubs
Third base: Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies
Outfield: Christian Yelich, Milwaukee Brewers
Outfield: Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers
Outfield: Ronald Acuna Jr., Atlanta Braves

Nice to see a couple Braves in there too!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Awww yeah Yelich made it in! Him and Bellinger had the most NL votes IIRC. Atlanta has a good representation there.

zman

Cyburbian
I am attending NRPA this year in Baltimore... thought about going a day early and catch the AL dumpster fire that would be the Mariners/Orioles series (final game of the season too)... but I felt it wasnt worth the $$$$

Bubba

Cyburbian
Happy Bobby Bonilla Day! Another $1.2 million check from the Mets today, with 16 more paydays remaining.

Planit

Cyburbian
Well the AL won again.

Decent game as far as ASG goes. Chapman strikeouts the side to seal it.

I watched it mostly with no sound on, music in the background & doing a few things around the house. It seemed like they showed every HR - or play for that matter - from 7 different angles. Such is normal now I guess.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Well the AL won again.

Decent game as far as ASG goes. Chapman strikeouts the side to seal it.

I watched it mostly with no sound on, music in the background & doing a few things around the house. It seemed like they showed every HR - or play for that matter - from 7 different angles. Such is normal now I guess.
Sixteen strikeouts for the NL against just five hits. Sixteen All-Star strikeouts? Baseball has a problem, for sure.
I noticed the numerous camera angles too. My feeling is, if you are going to have instant replay, have as many camera angles as possible. It always seems as if one has an angle the umps didn't see and reveal whether they got the call right or wrong. Just make the call as quickly as possible and let's start getting these games done in 2-1/2 hours instead of three, when possible.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I noticed the numerous camera angles too. My feeling is, if you are going to have instant replay, have as many camera angles as possible. It always seems as if one has an angle the umps didn't see and reveal whether they got the call right or wrong.
I watched about two minutes of the game, and in that time, the mouth-breather umpiring at first base blatantly missed a call on a throw that the runner clearly beat.

MLB this season = meh. Exit velocity! Launch angle! Muh home runs!!1!

AG74683

Cyburbian
NL Central this year sucks. The Cubs should keep Maddon at least through the end of the season.
Well at least it's a relatively close race between all the teams. Really, anyone can win in that division. I think the Reds might be the sneaky pick to go on a run though. The Brewers have really sucked it up as of late. Their offense relies completely on home run hitting and the pitching has been atrocious. They will not return to the NL Championship this year, no way.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
The giants are on :fire:. Still we should be sellers and trade mad bum. Yes, he is an icon, yes he is on a roll with a sub 2.00 ERA in his last 6 starts, but we need to get younger not older.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The giants are on :fire:. Still we should be sellers and trade mad bum. Yes, he is an icon, yes he is on a roll with a sub 2.00 ERA in his last 6 starts, but we need to get younger not older.
He may well end up with the Braves, but I cringe at the thought of the prospects we would have to give up.

AG74683

Cyburbian
He may well end up with the Braves, but I cringe at the thought of the prospects we would have to give up.
Dallas really hasn't worked out all that well so far. He just randomly fell down for no reason the other night.

I could see Mad Bum in Milwaukee if the Giants sell. Our pitching has been atrocious and Woodruff has gone down with an oblique strain.

Planit

Cyburbian
Trip to Cobb County to see the Braves on August 17 & 18 has been cancelled.

My brother said he couldn't go (although that was a different story 2 months ago). The Girl can't go due to her activities & Mrs. P has no interest right now. Glad I didn't pre-pay for a hotel room...