• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Major League Baseball (and/or Braves Angst) Thread

AG74683

Cyburbian
All bow to the Houston Astros, the glorious overlords of baseball.

Seriously, how did they manage that trade for Greinke?! Verlander, Greinke, Cole...what a starting lineup. Even Wade Miley is doing damage as an Astro. Completely absurd.

The Brewers did some things, but nothing major.

Planit

Cyburbian
With a month to go before the playoffs...

ALE: New York Yankmees (+10.5 games)
ALC: Minnesota Twins (+3.5)
ALW: Houston Astros (+9)
ALWCs: Cleveland Indians & Oakland Athletics

NLE: Atlanta Braves (+5.5)
NLC: St. Louis Cardinals (+3)
NLW: Los Angeles Dodgers (+19.5) not a typo
NLWCs: Washington Nationals & Chicago Cubs

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers have been out of it for some time. Which was according to plan anyway. They were in solid playoff contention early in the season before dropping in the standings. Supposedly the plan was to get the team ready to win next year, when they get their new stadium. Now that they're out of the hunt, they're playing a lot of young guys and some of them look pretty good. A name to remember for next year: Nick Solak. Reached safely in his first 11 MLB games, .361 batting average. He only has one home run, but he just keeps getting hits.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Another young gun: Jose Trevino. He just might be the best catcher to come up with the Rangers since Pudge Rodriguez.

Tonight he was 1 for 3 with a double, plus threw out a bunter at 1st, a base runner at 2nd on an attempted steal, and picked off a player at third who wandered a bit too far toward the plate on a bunt attempt.

Last night 3 for 3 with 2 doubles and 2 RBIs.

He also seems to have the temperament to be a team leader.

Planit

Cyburbian
Hey Doohickie - the Rangers Low-A team just made the SAL Championship Series. I'll be there tonight for Game 1.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Brewers take 3 of the 4 in the last series against the Cubs. HUGE series, they're only 2 games back of the wild card spot. Unbelievable. Yasmani Grandal has been straight fire the last few weeks. Broke the Brewers single season record for homers from a catcher at 22.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Hey Doohickie - the Rangers Low-A team just made the SAL Championship Series. I'll be there tonight for Game 1.
Hickory Crawdads? Never heard of them until looking them up just now.

Looking at where the Rangers stand, they are more in line with what the preseason predictions were: A development year with a lot of youth. When they were in playoff contention early, a lot of us hoped they were ahead of schedule but it wasn't to be and they slipped out.

That said, they're still a fun team to watch with some high potential players coming in- Jose Trevino, Nick Solak. Several young pitchers showing promise (and a few weeding themselves out or at least showing they need more development)- Kolby Allard looks to be the best starter coming up; Emmanuel Clase stands out among the relievers.

Next year they're in the new stadium and I think they'll make a more determined push to make the playoffs.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Hickory Crawdads? Never heard of them until looking them up just now.
This was the best record the Crawdads have ever had in franchise history. They've been around since 1993. There's been a few big stars come out of Hickory. Jim Abbot, Jose Bautista, Andrew McCutchen, Magglio Ordonez, and Jurickson Profar all came through the Crawdads.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well the Brewers were really killing it lately. 5 wins in a row. But the Baseball Gods were not happy with that so they took away Papa Yelich. Foul tip to the knee last night and he's out for the season with a fractured patella. Clear front runner for NL MVP too.

And to top that off, the Crawdads are shitting the bed too.

Planit

Cyburbian
And to top that off, the Crawdads are shitting the bed too.

Yup - Game 1 the closer did not close and gave up 4 runs in the top of the 9th.
Game 2 the 6th inning was not kind as we gave up 3 runs and made a base running error & bad umpire calls.
& those were our home games...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Mark that down as 7 in a row for the Brew Crew!!! Sources say Yelich will be back in 6 weeks. Just in time for him to pinch hit in the World Series.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Brewers keep on winning even with Papa Yelich sidelined. 2 of 3 vs the dirty Red Birds. Braun snagged a grand slam on a 3-2 count with 2 outs in the 9th to take the lead yesterday. Unbelievable stuff!! 3 games back on St. Louis, 2 on the Cubs, and 1 back from the WC spot.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Brewers keep winning. 9-1 over the last 10 games. Pitching has been great from the starters to the bullpen, offense and defense are killing it. Still a battle for playoff position though.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Pirates closer (& NL All Star) Filipe Vazquez was arrested last night for solicitation of a minor (13 yo) in Lee County, FL.

and on a better note

Yaz's grandson hit his first HR in Fenway Park

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Pirates closer (& NL All Star) Filipe Vazquez was arrested last night for solicitation of a minor (13 yo) in Lee County, FL.
This is so absurd. Like, he literally admitted to investigators that it happened. He described it as "sex but not really" because of uh...size differences. I mean this most definitely happened. I have no clue why Pittsburgh and the MLB haven't just completely severed ties here.

AG74683

Cyburbian
AG, looks like your Brewers made the playoffs. Cubbies are in trouble.
They look fantastic. Their September record has to be one of the best in baseball ever. I think they lost maybe 4 or 5 games total in that stretch. Doing it without Yelich too.

Planit

Cyburbian
The time has finally come: Now for Playoff Baseball!

Brewers play Nationals for Wild Card
Winner plays the Dodgers in the NLDS
Braves play Cardinals in the NLDS

Rays play Athletics for Wild Card
Winner plays Astros in the ALDS
Twins plays Yankmees in NLDS

I heart would like to see a Rays v Braves World Series, but that's a long shot...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Tigers stank so bad in 2019 that after a rain out on Friday, they just decided to give up and shorten the season to 161 games instead of 162.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Really wish the Crew could have pulled out enough wins to get them to the division rather than the wildcard. Not only do we have to go through the Nationals to even get to the NLDS, the next team is the freaking Dodgers. I think we match up better against the Braves.

The Rays/Athletics game will be good, and that Twins/Yankees series should be fantastic. No one is really talking about the Twins but I really think they have a solid team.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Screw you, MLB, and your continued stupidity on playoff scheduling. The start times for the Braves' first two playoff games:

5:02 PM Thursday, 4:37 PM Friday

Yeah...let's start games during the middle of effing rush hour.

Idiots. :cursing:

Planit

Cyburbian
Screw you, MLB, and your continued stupidity on playoff scheduling. The start times for the Braves' first two playoff games:

5:02 PM Thursday, 4:37 PM Friday

Yeah...let's start games during the middle of effing rush hour.

Idiots. :cursing:

Guess you'll have to RJ after lunch...

Bubba

Cyburbian
Guess you'll have to RJ after lunch...
Yeah, it's actually perfect for folks that want to blow off half of a day and hit up The Battery to pre-game it. But, for the majority of the attendees it's not good. Hey, look, a bunch of empty seats - Atlanta is a lousy sports town. Um, no - the MLB front office just sucks.

EDIT: The continued stupidity of the MLB front office:

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
An awful error did the Brew Crew in last night.

E9 if you're scoring at home.

AG74683

Cyburbian

I'm not so upset with the error. It sucks, but realistically the Nats were going to score on that hit anyway. I doubt they would have taken the lead with it, but they would have tied it at least. Grisham definitely screwed the pooch on it, but he's young. Rookie mistakes are what they are. To me, he shouldn't have ever been in that position to begin with. Your closing pitcher should be better.

What I'm angry about is the complete ineffectiveness of Hader and the fact that Counsell didn't even bother to conduct a mound visit when Hader was clearly losing his shit. Why TF would you move on from Pomeranz when he was throwing well is beyond me. Yes, lets go ahead and pull Suter out even though the dude posted something like a 0.39 ERA in September. Counsell just cannot leave those relief pitchers alone and let them do their thing. He constantly relies on Hader even though he's proven this season that he just doesn't have that magic anymore. Batters have figured him out. Wait until he throws an off speed fastball. You know where it'll be, low and outside EVERY SINGLE TIME. Even the worst hitters can snag a home run off that kind of pitch.

At the end of the day, there was no way the Brewers were going to beat the Dodgers, not with all the injury problems. It was clear that Moustakas is still struggling with the arm/shoulder issue. He had that off throw that resulted in a safe batter at 1st that should have been an out (although he did make a spectacular play to stop the ball in the first place). I don't think Hiura has been 100% for a while and Braun absolutely aggravated the hamstring injury early on in the game. I don't think the Nationals will beat them either. Afterall, they won last night on an error and with a poor closing pitcher performance.

Brewers need better offensive moving towards next season. We cannot continuously rely on home run hitting to get us to the W. A team that can hit singles consistently is far more valuable than a team that hits a few home runs now and then. At the end of the day, I'm hooked on baseball though and can't wait for next season.

Bubba

Cyburbian

That was painful to watch.

Counsell just cannot leave those relief pitchers alone and let them do their thing.
Understanding how to use your bullpen effectively is one of the things that separates the great managers from the merely good ones.

AG74683

Cyburbian
That was painful to watch.

Understanding how to use your bullpen effectively is one of the things that separates the great managers from the merely good ones.
Try being a Brewers fan. Lord I about had a meltdown.

I could be wrong about how to use those relief pitchers. Again, this is my first season seriously watching baseball, but I find it hard to imagine a pitcher coming into a game with nothing more than some limited warm up in the pen is going to be pitching at their best immediately. Taking them out within an inning to an inning and a half hardly shows anyone what they can do right?

Planit

Cyburbian
Thank you Atlanta for giving me hope, only to dash it away & then tease with a bottom of the ninth mini-rally that came up short. Oh and for a relief pitcher who hurt himself warming up on the mound. That's a good one too. UGH!

At least its just Game 1.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Thank you Atlanta for giving me hope, only to dash it away & then tease with a bottom of the ninth mini-rally that came up short. Oh and for a relief pitcher who hurt himself warming up on the mound. That's a good one too. UGH!

As a guy who's watched the 'Cards for a good portion of the season, be ready for a 5 game series. They are really good. If Paul Goldschmidt has a good game, they're really hard to beat. Dropping one at home is a bad thing for the Braves. It's hard to win a regular season game as a visiting team in St. Louis. Playoff baseball there is even worse.

I HATE the 'Cards with a burning passion, so you know they must be good for me to defend them.

Last edited:

Bubba

Cyburbian

I don't want to talk about it. If I start talking about the game, it'll just end up with me throwing my computer through a window in frustration. So, I'm not going to go there.

Planit

Cyburbian
When the Braves allowed the tying run to score in the 8th, I felt we were going to have a Game 5.

AG74683

Cyburbian
When the Braves allowed the tying run to score in the 8th, I felt we were going to have a Game 5.
I knew the 'Cards would win when Goldschmidt got a home run in the first. When he's hitting home runs, they win.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well just as everyone predicted, the Nationals have moved on to the NLCS.

Seriously, Kershaw blew a 3-1 lead. Freaking Clayton Kershaw blew. a. 3-1. lead. I don't even understand anymore.

Oh yeah, and the Rays still have a shot to eliminate the Astros so....

Planit

Cyburbian
Playoff thoughts:

Was out of town, but got to see the Braves hand the Cardinals a 10 run lead in the top of the first of Game 5.
Got to see the Rays pitchers tip his pitches to the Astros in Game 5 to gift 4 runs in the top of the first.
The Cardinals were no-hit for 7.2 innings of Game 1 & 5 innings in Game 2 against the Nationals.
I really don't want to see a Nationals v Yankmees World Series. I'll find something better to do.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Was out of town, but got to see the Braves hand the Cardinals a 10 run lead in the top of the first of Game 5.
I was sitting in a training class in Denver during that fiasco, which in hindsight is a good thing - I would have been breaking stuff if I'd watched it at home.

I really don't want to see a Nationals v Yankmees World Series. I'll find something better to do.
That's the WS matchup that no one wants to see.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Pretty horrid time for the Cardinals' offense to go MIA again. I don't know how Mozeliak and Girsch put together a roster that collectively takes spells where they can't avoid swinging at everything away and in the dirt. Jeez.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Cardinals used their bats up when they got 10 runs in the top of the first inning against the Braves. :cool:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Jose Altuve is the best player in baseball. Convince me otherwise.

Also, interesting fact, Aroldis Chapman holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest pitch at 105.1.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well not even Altuve could save Houston at home. IMO the Nats will win it. Maybe even a sweep coming up.

Planit

Cyburbian
The World Series just got better...

Nationals go up 2 games to ziltch in Houston.
Astros win, tie and go ahead 3 games to 2 in Washington.
2 women are banned by MLB for flashing behind home plate.
tRump gets booed. Loudly!
Baseball ain't over yet!