• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 Major League Baseball (and/or Braves Angst) Thread

AG74683

Cyburbian
Nats are toast now. Will Gerrit Cole still be an Astro next year? Will Anthony Rendon still have an apartment in DC? Interesting storylines await!

Planit

Cyburbian
Game 6 is tonight in Houston. I wonder if Bush showed up, would he be applauded. I think so which would 'say' many things.

Planit

Cyburbian
...and now it's Game 7!!!

The Nationals started pulling away in the late innings. There was a 'controversial' play in the top of the 7th when home plate umpire determined the runner ran inside the base path, which impeded the throw to first base, but in reality the runner impeded the firstbaseman to catch the ball by hitting his glove. That should be the real call in this, that the runner knocked the glove of the firstbaseman which prevented him from catching the ball/completing the play.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Nats are toast now.
Well boy was I off. I still cannot believe how that game ended.

It's really nice to think that the Nationals championship was brought to you by Josh Hader, National League closer of the year!! :r:

Planit

Cyburbian
What that was something else.

I don't think there's a series where the home team lost every game. There were also several comeback wins (both in the games and in the series).

Congrats to the remnants of the Montreal Expos & present Washington Nationals. First WS win in franchise history.

106 days until pitchers and catchers report!

Bubba

Cyburbian
I don't think there's a series where the home team lost every game.
Per ESPN yesterday afternoon, if you combine the NBA, NHL, and MLB, there had never been a playoff series where the visitors won the first six games...this season's WS was a complete outlier.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Congrats to the remnants of the Montreal Expos & present Washington Nationals. First WS win in franchise history.
Is there anyone left on the Nats that came from Montreal? There were at least two times where the talking heads mentioned Zimmerman being an Expo, but he never was. He was drafted in the inaugural year of the Nats ('05) and has been with them since. Ted Lerner bought the team from the MLB after they moved, so I doubt there's really any shred of the Expos remaining.

Planit

Cyburbian
No, it's been too long for any players to be a hold over from the Expos. I said this because the franchise began as the Montreal Expos who came the closest to going to postseason as they were in first place when the Baseball players went on strike.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In a way, the Nats winning last night takes away a little of the sting of them sweeping the Cardinals in the NLCS. But just a little.

Les Expos were like poison to the Cardinals in the 1980s. Even if the Expos were on their way to 120 losses, they would surely beat the Cardinals, but especially in Montreal. It was frustrating as all get out.