• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 NCAA Football Thread of Dabo & others

Planit

Cyburbian
The 2019 Preseason USAToday Coaches Poll has been released. While I consider this futile, unnecessary and a certainty to change, here it is...

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. ohio state
6. Louisiana State
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Texas A&M
12. Washington
13. Oregon
14. Penn State
15. Utah
16. Auburn
17. Wisconsin
18. Central Florida
19. Iowa
20. Michigan State
21. Washington State
22. Syracuse
23. Stanford
24. Iowa State
25. Northwestern

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It looks like the Big10 is pretty well represented....

With that said, I don't see Clemson losing this year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Notre Dame is #9? :r::daydream: Color me surprised.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Being a BIG 10 fan now living in SEC land has been interesting. I'm in SC but only a couple of miles from GA so lots and lots of Dawgs fans here. I work with a few Clemson folks and they've been pretty gracious for the most part. And everyone sort of looks at Gamecock fans with that "bless your heart" expression. Oh, and everyone hates Alabama.

Planit

Cyburbian
The season starts on Saturday August 24th (THAT's THIS SATURDAY) with 2 games - one being Miami (FL) @ Florida Gators!

Then we wait until Thursday the 29th for the real season kickoff with several games, a few games then on Friday & the rest on Saturday with a lot on the cupcake wars (i.e. Florida Atlantic v. tOSU).

Planit

Cyburbian
Was an ugly game with yellow flags flying all over the place...but the GATORS WON!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Nobody should have won that shitshow in Orlando. Good grief. Although I will say that I'd almost forgotten how much I hate Miami (since the early 80's) until they reminded me with their posturing and "touchdown ring" after scoring in the second freaking quarter! I hope that guy felt like an ass when they lost. I don't think I've ever seen a team miss that many tackles and still win a game. That was horrific.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
College GameDay will be in Fort Worth Saturday. Should I head down to Sundance Square and try to get on national TV?

Planit

Cyburbian
So rankings were adjusted after "Week 0"

Now granted the game in Orlando was a sh!tshow (thank you MDP), but Florida won and then DROPPED in the rankings. Okay maybe I could see that (because the game was so bad) if a number of teams had been playing, but there were only a couple of games with nothing to compare.

I truly wish there were no pre-season or early-season rankings because they make no sense or justifications - nobody has really played anybody. Wait until week 6.

I predict that someone (other than you hinky) will make an argument that tosu should be ranked #1 after there beat up cupcake Florida Atlantic next weekend...even if Clemson beats Georgia Tech.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
First games are just so "iffy" in college ball. Crazy things happen. They don't have a few pre-season games that's why most of the big boys (when they can) schedule a cupcake from some Group of 5 conference. A smart coach used to say "you improve the most between the first and second games".

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I predict that someone (other than you hinky) will make an argument that tosu should be ranked #1 after there beat up cupcake Florida Atlantic next weekend...even if Clemson beats Georgia Tech.

:roflmao::roflmao: HAAAAAAAA... HAAAAAA... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

osu being #1... that is the funniest thing that I heard all day!

#GoBlue :mi:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So rankings were adjusted after "Week 0"

Now granted the game in Orlando was a sh!tshow (thank you MDP), but Florida won and then DROPPED in the rankings. Okay maybe I could see that (because the game was so bad) if a number of teams had been playing, but there were only a couple of games with nothing to compare.

I truly wish there were no pre-season or early-season rankings because they make no sense or justifications - nobody has really played anybody. Wait until week 6.

Yea I feel like there is someone like that for every team. If you don't think Clemson is the best team in the country you are wrong. Maybe Alabama, but I don't really think it is close this year.

:roflmao::roflmao: HAAAAAAAA... HAAAAAA... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

osu being #1... that is the funniest thing that I heard all day!

#GoBlue :mi:
sigh

Planit

Cyburbian
Clemson v Georgia Tech tonight @ 8:00.

I should get home before half-time from soccer.

Planit

Cyburbian
Week 2 is usually cupcake games again for the Power 5 conferences. There are however a couple games to note:

#12 Texas Texas travels to #1 Clemson & #6 LSU travels to #9 Texas

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
2 OT
Michigan 24 Army 21

OT
COLORADO 34 Nebraska 31

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well week 2 told us a bit about some teams. Yikes.

LSU with Joe Burrows is pretty good.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Tennessee! - snicker, snicker, snicker
Georgia State walking into Neyland and shoving UT all over their own field was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed (with the added bonus of Tennessee paying them almost a million dollars for that beatdown)...subsequently losing to BYU is just the icing on the cake.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I know Army is a much much better team than Middle Tennessee State but Michigan looked awful Saturday. I cannot remember a sloppier performance from them in the Harbaugh era. They travel to Wisconsin this week and I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty ugly.

Planit

Cyburbian
& I forgot to mention FSU has allowed over 1000 of offense against them in just 2 games - snicker, snicker, snicker

Here's your top 25 (ballot)
View image on Twitter

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Michigan's defense played well. They just need their offense to catch up and not turn the ball over.

Penn State beat Buffalo 45-13 even though the Bulls held the ball for 42:32 of the game. That's crazy. The Buffalo punter had his leg broken on a blocked kick. It was horrific. So bad they would not show replays. I understand that his surgery went well but damn that was bad.

Was really hoping ULM could pull it off against FSU but it was not meant to be. Still very early but it sure seems (again) that it's 'Bama and Clemson and then everyone else. But it's a long season.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I know Army is a much much better team than Middle Tennessee State but Michigan looked awful Saturday. I cannot remember a sloppier performance from them in the Harbaugh era. They travel to Wisconsin this week and I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty ugly.
I really think it has to be Harbaugh. He is just not a good college coach. The players skill is there, they just don't execute. Michigan should get more for what they are paying. I think if he loses to Ohio State this year he will be asked to move on. 9-4 with a loss to Ohio State has to be the last season they can stand that.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I really think it has to be Harbaugh. He is just not a good college coach. The players skill is there, they just don't execute. Michigan should get more for what they are paying. I think if he loses to Ohio State this year he will be asked to move on. 9-4 with a loss to Ohio State has to be the last season they can stand that.
I agree with you. With the money they're paying Harbaugh he's simply got to do more. Thus far the best he has finished in 3rd in the East.

zman

Cyburbian
Enjoyed going to the Northern Colorado/Washington State game this weekend. Pullman, WA is an outpost and it was a lot of windshield time with the family, but a good day (and better than being at WSU in the wintertime).

Colorado also beat Nebraska... it was a good weekend for CFB on my end.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I don't have high hopes for Michigan this year. They need to do better than that for when they face a real opponent... like ND.

Planit

Cyburbian
A few intrastate rivalries, mixed in with several cupcakes and mid-level conference games this weekend but no ranked teams play each other Saturday.

A couple which hold some intrigue:
Pitt v #13 Penn State
#19 Iowa v Iowa State
FSU v #25 Virginia

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I watched a bit of the ND game... the looked like they where having fun.

On a side note, I am nervous about next week. If Michigan cannot beat Wisconsin, they have no chance against OSU or ND.

Michigan State on the other hand... they are their own worst enemy at this time.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Gators won.

That's about all I can say because it was a crap game. Franks is gone for season and the new QB looked decent. Let's see what he's got a conference games rolls around. Cardiac kids!

DVD

Cyburbian
And a big win over Michigan State gets ASU ranked 24. I'm sure we'll screw it up soon. Can't just hold a ranking around here.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
And a big win over Michigan State gets ASU ranked 24. I'm sure we'll screw it up soon. Can't just hold a ranking around here.
It was fun listening to all the MSU fans whine during the staff meeting this morning when I brought up the game. :troll:

Planit

Cyburbian
Well there are 3 games where ranked opponents play each other this weekend:

#11 Michigan v #13 Wisconsin
#8 Auburn v #17 Texas A&M
#7 Notre Dame v #3 Georgia

Several other good games are being played as well start to get into conference play.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Wow. Michigan got completely manhandled. I did not see that coming. I guess maybe we should have though. They lost a ton of defensive talent to the NFL and it's not like Patterson is the greatest QB. For a guy that's supposed to be a QB guru Harbaugh really hasn't had a very good one at Michigan. 9 million a year to finish no better than 3rd in the B1G East so far. That's not good. I bet the comment sections on MLive are burning up!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Wow. Michigan got completely manhandled. I did not see that coming. I guess maybe we should have though. They lost a ton of defensive talent to the NFL and it's not like Patterson is the greatest QB. For a guy that's supposed to be a QB guru Harbaugh really hasn't had a very good one at Michigan. 9 million a year to finish no better than 3rd in the B1G East so far. That's not good. I bet the comment sections on MLive are burning up!
Harbaugh is done in Michigan. The loss this weekend spells the beginning of the end for him. I will say that I think this is the best Badgers squad I've seen in years. I really think they are a potential playoff team. That Taylor kid is going to be big when he hits the NFL.

App. State went to Chapel Hill this weekend and beat Mack Brown and the Tarholes. That's a huge win for our program. I think we can realistically beat South Carolina this year and possibly go completely undefeated.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Way to go Dawgs!!
:cool:

Take away the dropped punt, and it's basically a two TD game, which tracks with the Vegas odds. ND has good play-callers on both sides of the ball, and is the best one-on-one tackling team I've seen in a few years. And, their starting TE is an absolute beast (looked like a slower version of Gronk) But, faking injuries was just petty and pathetic on their part...