• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 NCAA Football Thread of Dabo & others

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Wow. Michigan got completely manhandled. I did not see that coming. I guess maybe we should have though. They lost a ton of defensive talent to the NFL and it's not like Patterson is the greatest QB. For a guy that's supposed to be a QB guru Harbaugh really hasn't had a very good one at Michigan. 9 million a year to finish no better than 3rd in the B1G East so far. That's not good. I bet the comment sections on MLive are burning up!
Harbaugh is done in Michigan. The loss this weekend spells the beginning of the end for him. I will say that I think this is the best Badgers squad I've seen in years. I really think they are a potential playoff team. That Taylor kid is going to be big when he hits the NFL.
I don't know any Michigan fans up here who had high hopes coming into this past Saturday but that was awful. I agree that this is probably the best Wisconsin team in years but we should probably mark this as the beginning of the end of the Harbaugh-era. His inability to attract a top tier QB is baffling. He also needs to step away from the actual play calling and leave more of that in the hands of his coaches and the team on the field. I think the only way he salvages his career is winning out from here and I don't see that happening.

I gave up watching at halftime and decided to go outside for a run. I'd rather go run 10 miles in 90º temps with about 90% humidity than watch the rest of that turd of a game.

I'm being forced to go to the game against Rutgers this coming Saturday. I never really enjoy going to the games (I hate the crowds, parking, traffic, etc.) but it's even less enjoyable when the team isn't any good. Hopefully this will be a "get right" game, but considering how sloppy their offense has appeared, who knows.

Bubba

Cyburbian
ND has good play-callers on both sides of the ball, and is the best one-on-one tackling team I've seen in a few years. And, their starting TE is an absolute beast (looked like a slower version of Gronk) But, faking injuries was just petty and pathetic on their part...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
App. State went to Chapel Hill this weekend and beat Mack Brown and the Tarholes. That's a huge win for our program. I think we can realistically beat South Carolina this year and possibly go completely undefeated.
Since I now live in SC I went to a Gamecocks game a few weeks ago. They are not good. At all. I'd venture that App State will be favored against them.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I don't know any Michigan fans up here who had high hopes coming into this past Saturday but that was awful. I agree that this is probably the best Wisconsin team in years but we should probably mark this as the beginning of the end of the Harbaugh-era. His inability to attract a top tier QB is baffling. He also needs to step away from the actual play calling and leave more of that in the hands of his coaches and the team on the field. I think the only way he salvages his career is winning out from here and I don't see that happening.
I just don't think Michigan has the recruiting clout it once had, even with Harbaugh. I mean I'm biased and like to trot out the App. State win whenever I can, but that really screwed their program up. Even though that was 12 years ago, I think the program still suffers from it. It's almost an "unproven" program now if that makes any sense. Harbaugh was supposed to help but hasn't really been successful enough to pull people away from the other Big 10 competitors.

In other news, I had no clue that Lovie Smith was the coach at Illinois. That's kind of cool. The Big 10 has some insane coaching pay disparities.

Since I now live in SC I went to a Gamecocks game a few weeks ago. They are not good. At all. I'd venture that App State will be favored against them.
I think USC made a big mistake when they moved from the ACC to the SEC. They've never really been able to compete.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I think USC made a big mistake when they moved from the ACC to the SEC. They've never really been able to compete.
But that's not what happened. USC left the ACC in 1971. They didn't join the SEC until '91 (why I know stuff like this is beyond me :nerd: ) I think they played as an independent in football until joining the SEC.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just don't think Michigan has the recruiting clout it once had, even with Harbaugh. I mean I'm biased and like to trot out the App. State win whenever I can, but that really screwed their program up. Even though that was 12 years ago, I think the program still suffers from it. It's almost an "unproven" program now if that makes any sense. Harbaugh was supposed to help but hasn't really been successful enough to pull people away from the other Big 10 competitors.
I agree with you that we are still dealing with the aftermath of the App. State loss and then the wasted Brady Hoke years. Combine all that with the overall steady improvement of Michigan State which has made them much more attractive for in-state recruits and the dominance of Ohio State over the past decade+ which has really sucked up all the best recruits considering the Big10 and Michigan just has been unable to have a top recruiting class for a long time now.

We probably should have given Harbaugh a smaller contract and given the money directly to the prospective recruits instead! ;)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
But that's not what happened. USC left the ACC in 1971. They didn't join the SEC until '91 (why I know stuff like this is beyond me :nerd: ) I think they played as an independent in football until joining the SEC.
They played in the metro conference in between acc and the sec in basketball but in football, they played as an independent because the metro conference didn't recognize or sponser football. They may have been independent prior to joining the metro conference and after they left the ACC. I know that UNC-Charlotte took there place in the Metro Conference in 1991 when USC when to the SEC.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well in any case they never should have left the ACC. They'd be competitive there for sure. The ACC isn't exactly a football powerhouse.

I agree with you that we are still dealing with the aftermath of the App. State loss and then the wasted Brady Hoke years. Combine all that with the overall steady improvement of Michigan State which has made them much more attractive for in-state recruits and the dominance of Ohio State over the past decade+ which has really sucked up all the best recruits considering the Big10 and Michigan just has been unable to have a top recruiting class for a long time now.

We probably should have given Harbaugh a smaller contract and given the money directly to the prospective recruits instead! ;)
Harbaugh's contract is insane. He is the third highest paid coach in college football, behind Dabo and Saban. Say what you want about how overpaid college coaches are (because they are definitely overpaid) but Dabo and Saban have earned it for sure. Harbaugh came in on his name, and nothing else. Dantonio is all the way down at #19 making a paltry 4.39m a year. On the topic of USC, somehow Muschamp makes 4.4m.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I guess the bottom line is "quirky" works OK when you're winning but when you're not you just look like an unprepared doofus.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I mean I don't have much to add to the Michigan lost bad discussion, but I think Michigan should hire a coach that isn't a "Michigan Man". That seems to be their problem. It dilutes their potential coaching options and leaves them with Hoke or Harbaugh, who both were only really good because of either A. They coached lower tier teams that should never have played big boy schools (Hoke), or B. Had Andrew Luck a once in a generation QB who made him look WAY better than he really was (Harbaugh). Neither really was a great coach of talent, just had a couple seasons that were successful due to random reasons. Not sure who would want the Michigan job right now, but it is a great tradition, with lots of money. Add in Rich Rodriguez and... yea. They should be able to get someone to take the bait, if they move past the Michigan Man junk.

With that said, Ohio State won 76-5.

I think Wisconsin is going to be really hard to beat for any team that doesn't play the run well. Jonathan Taylor is the real deal.

Planit

Cyburbian
With that said, Ohio State won 76-5.
Why is this a big deal? They played Miami (OH). They haven't played anybody yet this year. It would be like Alabama playing Georgia Southern...just sayin'

AG74683

Cyburbian
I mean I don't have much to add to the Michigan lost bad discussion, but I think Michigan should hire a coach that isn't a "Michigan Man".

I think Wisconsin is going to be really hard to beat for any team that doesn't play the run well. Jonathan Taylor is the real deal.
I wonder what their coaching pool will look like now? Like taking the Tennessee job. You know it's a monumental climb back to relevancy and the timeline to get there is probably going to be completely unrealistic.

It was absurd how good Taylor was. Wisconsin is definitely a team to beat this year. They'll probably lose to a team they should absolutely beat. My money is on Illinois or Northwestern.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Why is this a big deal? They played Miami (OH). They haven't played anybody yet this year. It would be like Alabama playing Georgia Southern...just sayin'
I don't care who you play, that isn't easy to do. They had third string in in the 3rd Q and still kept scoring.

Alabama beat New Mexico State 62-10. Which isn't as good as 76-5. Wisconsin beat Central Michigan 65-0. Which isn't as good as 76-5. Clemson beat Charlotte 52-10. Again not as good.

I'm just saying that isn't exactly something you see often. I don't know if they will play well against tough competition, but they have absolutely destroyed what they have played. Also, Cincinnati is a good team, so they have played someone... ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Harbaugh is done in Michigan. The loss this weekend spells the beginning of the end for him.
Michigan has Zero chance of doing anything meaningful this year. They played like crap, Harbaugh's calls made him look like an idiot, and the first half was a complete embarrassment to Michigan Football History. I will be shocked if they beat any ranked opponents this year.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
tosu strength of schedule = 73rd
Who says 73rd? The lowest I can find is 25th and that is some random site. This morning team rankings has them at 12th.

ESPN says they are 5th in total offense, 3rd in offensive efficiency, 12th in total defense, 2nd in defensive efficiency. (note the efficiency scores are weighted based on strength of schedule)

I don't know... I mean they look pretty legit to me.

Planit

Cyburbian
It was ESPN on the college football preshow on Saturday who cited the offensive & defensive numbers and then said their strength of schedule was 73rd which one would hope they would have such high numbers. Something to the affect that they should be stomping these inferior programs.

They did beat Nebraska in a rather convincing fashion. I'll give you that this week.

Clemson had a big scare, I don't think they thought much of UNC before the game and came out flat, UNC had nothing to lose & did not want to embarrass themselves.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Clemson had a big scare, I don't think they thought much of UNC before the game and came out flat, UNC had nothing to lose & did not want to embarrass themselves.
I'm very disappointed with Mack Brown. You're at home - kick the XP, and go to overtime.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I'm very disappointed with Mack Brown. You're at home - kick the XP, and go to overtime.
Mark Brown has done a lot for UNC though. The fact that they were even in the game is pretty amazing. Clemson not running the ball though is just odd. Trevor Lawrence isn't as good as people seem to want to make him. Travis Etienne is. Why not run the ball more? They escaped though, which is all that matters.... I guess.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
That might be OSU's SOS of the teams they've played thus far. It gets harder. Pre-season SOS is a nice talking point but you never how good or bad an opponent is in August. The only people buying the hype sauce of Nebraska was the media trying to drum up interest. That was destined to be a blowout. I'm not sold on Wisconsin yet. Take away two defense scores and they get beat by a really bad Northwestern team. Auburn is sneaky good. I'll be interested in seeing how they deal with Florida on the road. Just like I'm anxious to see how PSU handles Iowa in two weeks at their place. That will tell us a lot about those two teams. I see Iowa beating Michigan this week. I also think OSU beats MSU convincingly. Clemson had their scare (really should have lost) and now has an absolute cakewalk to their division championship. It would have been interesting to see if a 1 loss Clemson would make the playoff. Their schedule is so soft it could hurt them with a loss. CFB is sooo much better than the NFL.

Planit

Cyburbian
Ranking reshuffle:

(AP25) Top 10
Bama
Clemson
Georgia
tosu

LSU
Oklahoma
Auburn
Wisconsin
Notre Dame
Florida

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa and Ohio State are the top 4 in scoring defense; all allowing less than 9 points a game. It's early and it hasn't exactly been a murderer's row of opponents but that's still pretty impressive that they're all from the same conference. Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin are all in the top 12 in scoring offense as well. Over the next few weeks something will have to give as these teams play each other. It should be fun.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa and Ohio State are the top 4 in scoring defense; all allowing less than 9 points a game. It's early and it hasn't exactly been a murderer's row of opponents but that's still pretty impressive that they're all from the same conference. Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin are all in the top 12 in scoring offense as well. Over the next few weeks something will have to give as these teams play each other. It should be fun.
Wisconsin gets another cake walk with Kent State this weekend (how do they get such an opponent so late into the season?) but I'm really looking forward to the Wisconsin/OSU game later in the month. I think that might be the best, or at least most interesting, matchup in the Big Ten all season.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa and Ohio State are the top 4 in scoring defense; all allowing less than 9 points a game. It's early and it hasn't exactly been a murderer's row of opponents but that's still pretty impressive that they're all from the same conference. Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin are all in the top 12 in scoring offense as well.
The bottom end of the SEC is a dumpster fire this season (looking at you, Tennessee), but they still have five of the top ten teams in the AP poll.

Planit

Cyburbian
Ranked games this week include:

#14 Iowa v #19 Michigan - I know there's lots of interest on this game from this group of friends
#25 Michigan State v #4 Ohio State - I know there's lots of interest on this game from this group of friends
#7 Auburn v #10 Florida - I volunteered to work a downtown festival so I won't get to watch this game :cursing:

Bubba

Cyburbian
#7 Auburn v #10 Florida - I volunteered to work a downtown festival so I won't get to watch this game :cursing:
Dude.

Then again, the UGA - USC(arolina) game next weekend has been assigned the noon kickoff, and I'll be out on the left coast that day. At least it's on ESPN, but 9 am football...?

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Ranked games this week include:

#14 Iowa v #19 Michigan - I know there's lots of interest on this game from this group of friends
#25 Michigan State v #4 Ohio State - I know there's lots of interest on this game from this group of friends
This is a big game for my Hawkeyes. I like our chances. Michigan's running game has been terrible. Against bad competition too. If they are one dimensional, and the Hawks dont make TO's, I think they win. I saw a pretty sharp Hawk team last weekend, with a 3rd year senior starting QB and two NFL ready tackles.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Michigan looked much better against Iowa than I was expecting but the win is owed entirely to their defense. The offense is still lackluster at best.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Wisconsin gets another cake walk with Kent State this weekend (how do they get such an opponent so late into the season?) but I'm really looking forward to the Wisconsin/OSU game later in the month. I think that might be the best, or at least most interesting, matchup in the Big Ten all season.
I still think Wisconsin is the best team in the Big 10. Hell, I truly believe they are a national championship caliber team. Jonathan Taylor will be one of the best running backs going into the NFL. He will absolutely be a top 5 pick.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Jonathan Taylor will be one of the best running backs going into the NFL. He will absolutely be a top 5 pick.
I like that kid a lot, but in the current NFL, there's no way as a GM I would spend a top 5 pick on a RB.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I like that kid a lot, but in the current NFL, there's no way as a GM I would spend a top 5 pick on a RB.
Dunno about that.

Saquon Barkley - 2018 - Pick 2
Leonard Fournette - 2017 - Pick 4
Ezekiel Elliott - 2016 - Pick 4
Trent Richardson - 2012 - Pick 3

It happens, and is more common now than it was 10 years ago. Taylor isn't used a ton in the passing game though, so it's not super clear what his abilities as a pass catching back are. He does have 9 receptions for 85 yards and 3 TD's this year which isn't bad.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Dunno about that.

Saquon Barkley - 2018 - Pick 2
Leonard Fournette - 2017 - Pick 4
Ezekiel Elliott - 2016 - Pick 4
Trent Richardson - 2012 - Pick 3

It happens, and is more common now than it was 10 years ago. Taylor isn't used a ton in the passing game though, so it's not super clear what his abilities as a pass catching back are. He does have 9 receptions for 85 yards and 3 TD's this year which isn't bad.
And other than Zeke none of them were worth the money (maybe Barkley will turn out).

AG74683

Cyburbian
And other than Zeke none of them were worth the money (maybe Barkley will turn out).
I think Barkley will be. Fournette is okay, but yeah, definitely not worth that high of a pick. We won't talk about Trent Richardson. But I could definitely see a team going with Taylor early.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
None of those guys are worth the stupid money they're getting. I'm not for a second saying that they aren't very good. But the reality is a RB is simply not what puts a team over the championship hump.

Planit

Cyburbian
3 different polls = 3 different rankings

What is shown is that all agree who the top 10 teams are at this point in the season. However no team receives the same ranking in all 3 polls.

AP
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Georgia
5. LSU
6. Oklahoma
7. Florida
8. Wisconsin
9. Notre Dame
10. Penn State

USA Today
1. Ohio State
2. Bama
3. Clemson
4. LSU
5. Georgia
6. Oklahoma
7. Wisconsin
8. Florida
9. Penn State
10. Notre Dame

Coaches
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. LSU
7. Florida
8. Wisconsin
9. Penn State
10. Notre Dame

AG74683

Cyburbian
None of those guys are worth the stupid money they're getting. I'm not for a second saying that they aren't very good. But the reality is a RB is simply not what puts a team over the championship hump.
Tell that to the Carolina Panthers. We would be absolutely worthless without Christian McCaffrey. According to ESPN, he joined Jim Brown as the only two players with at least 175 scrimmage yards in 4 of the first 5 games of a season. Stupid stat, but he's still in rare air with Jim Brown. McCaffrey will be MVP this year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
App State now holds the 3rd longest winning streak in the NCAA behind Clemson at 20 and I think Ohio State at 17 (can't remember that second team) with 11 wins in a row. It was a pretty tough game against UL Lafayette though. Wasn't sure they'd pull it out. Ended up with a 17-7 win. App is currently the only unranked undefeated team in the NCAA. I suspect that will change next week. I'm guessing we'll be somewhere between 20 - 25.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Another big game for Iowa Saturday night vs. Penn State. Hoping for a better result. Iowa defense has been outstanding this year. Averaging under 10 pts a game. Held Michigan to 10 and like 250 yards. If our offensive coordinator were not in so far over his head, we might have a chance. Oh well, when your Dad is HC.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Ugh. Talk about beating yourself...UGA does this at least once a season. Why can't I have nice things?

In the west side of the SEC, though, LSU-Bama should be one hell of a good game.

Planit

Cyburbian
bubba - my niece & I both told each other to have a stiff drink after our games. I told her she needed a double due to her dawgs ending.

Gators v LSU was a good game for 3 quarters! The game of the week seemed to be Wake Forest v Louisville & it seems Wake got screwed at the end.

Rankings (AP 25) reshuffle now:
Bama
LSU
Clemson
tOSU
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Penn State
Notre Dame
Florida
Georgia

Planit

Cyburbian
This weekend holds some intriguing games:

#16 Michigan v #7 Penn State
#17 Arizona State v #13 Utah
#12 Oregon v #25 Washington

I really don't know what to expect in the #9 Florida v South Carolina after what the Gamecocks did to the dawgs & the Gators outcome with LSU.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I really don't know what to expect in the #9 Florida v South Carolina after what the Gamecocks did to the dawgs & the Gators outcome with LSU.
USC didn't do anything to UGA - the Dawgs just flat out handed them the game on a silver platter. All USC did was show up.

Planit

Cyburbian
Well that was an interesting weekend.

In the AP 25 poll, tosu moves above Clemson for trouncing a 1-5 Northwestern, but Clemson moves down in the poll for beating a 4-2 Louisville. Makes no sense.

LSU & Bama go 7-0 & are 1 & 2 in the poll.

The Illini' overcome being a 30+ point underdog to beat Wisconsin (who feel 7 places). Wish I'd put $100 on that game.

PSU, Florida, UGa, Auburn all win.

Oregon beat Washington to lead the PAC12 North while Utah beat ASU for the PAC12 South lead.

Texas scared by KU.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Wisconsin should have fallen a lot more than that. Illinois? Good lord. Clemson just hasn't looked that all-around solid and in fact probably should have lost to a not very good South Carolina, although they did get jobbed pretty good on some lousy calls against Florida. OSU is dominating everyone. Really that simple at this point. App State won and that was the first time a ranked Sun Belt team has ever won. That's pretty cool. There should really be a lot more love for Matt Rhule at Baylor. The job he has done is amazing. And Sonny Dykes at SMU too. Something in the water in parts of Texas I guess. PSU tried to blow it against UM but held on. IF PSU can manage to beat Sparty on Saturday and Minnesota beats the Terps that will be a matchup of 8-0 teams in Minneapolis on November 9th. Gameday anyone? But one step at a time. East Lansing has been a house of horrors for PSU the last few visits.

Last edited:

Bubba

Cyburbian
In the AP 25 poll, tosu moves above Clemson for trouncing a 1-5 Northwestern, but Clemson moves down in the poll for beating a 4-2 Louisville. Makes no sense.
UGA won ugly over Kentucky, gained votes in the AP poll, and still got jumped by Auburn. Go figure.