• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 NCAA Football Thread of Dabo & others

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well that was an interesting weekend.

In the AP 25 poll, tosu moves above Clemson for trouncing a 1-5 Northwestern, but Clemson moves down in the poll for beating a 4-2 Louisville. Makes no sense.
It is statistics. Ohio State got more first place votes. There are quite a few people who think that the SEC shouldn't just get votes because. Who has Alabama played? No one. But they get votes because they have traditionally been pretty good. The vote system is stupid. Alabama hasn't earned anything, but they get votes, just because.

Basically Clemson got that respect, when they didn't really earn it. It is a blue chip team problem, as Ohio State gets that undeserved respect sometimes too.

From the AP:

AP said:
Four teams again have first-place votes, but some of the those top spots changed on individual ballots:
  • Alabama dropped from 30 to 24 No. 1 votes.
  • LSU increased from 12 to 16 No. 1 votes.
  • Ohio State increased from nine to 13 No. 1 votes.
  • Clemson dropped from 11 to nine No. 1 votes.
There are 24 points between the top-ranked Tide and LSU. Only 21 points separate Ohio State from Clemson.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had low expectations for Michigan against Penn State but Michigan exceeded them. I have lower expectations for this weekend against Notre Dame though.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So... two questions....

1) When will Harbaugh be fired
2) Who will be the next coach for Michigan Football? Lee Miles? Butch Jones (Born and raised in Michigan), or someone else?

Rygor

Cyburbian
I wonder what their coaching pool will look like now? Like taking the Tennessee job. You know it's a monumental climb back to relevancy and the timeline to get there is probably going to be completely unrealistic.

It was absurd how good Taylor was. Wisconsin is definitely a team to beat this year. They'll probably lose to a team they should absolutely beat. My money is on Illinois or Northwestern.
Called THAT one! As one of the 17 Illinois football fans left (3/4 of my fellow alums stopped paying attention to football like 8 years ago) it was a heck of a sweet victory. I read it was the biggest upset in the Big Ten since 1982. Interestingly in the last 6 quarters the Illini have outscored 2 ranked teams in Michigan and Wisconsin 42-37. Is it possible they have actually turned a corner? I won't really start to MAYBE start to believe unless they show they can also beat Purdue next weekend...

All that said, do you think Wisconsin may be a bit more motivated to beat OSU now? Might be just a tad bit mad about this past Saturday and will be looking to take their anger out on someone...

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
All that said, do you think Wisconsin may be a bit more motivated to beat OSU now? Might be just a tad bit mad about this past Saturday and will be looking to take their anger out on someone...
I think they will either be out to kill, or just be shown to be what they always were, which is not as good as people thought.

I hope for the latter. Because I want my team to win and I am a homer.

Honestly, Wisconsin losing was kinda like Georgia losing. It was a lot of dumb mistakes in a row that ended up costing them. Wisconsin is a good team. The bigger picture is will Wisconsin get to the championship of the Big Ten now, or is it Minnesota? Even if Wisconsin wins they still may not make it...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm sure Wisconsin is "mad" but they don't match up with OSU very well. Hard to see that any closer than a two TD game.

Michigan probably needs to get over this "Michigan Man" obsession they have. Particularly as it relates to Bo and his coaching lineage. I mean obviously he was a good coach and molder of young men but he never had a national championship and his bowl record was abysmal. And clearly winning is what is driving the anti-Harbaugh train at the moment. The only national championship Bo ever had was when he was on the staff at OSU. The ship has sailed on Les Miles as well. Or at least it should have. I like him but he's 65 and I'm not sure that's where you want to start with a new coach at a legacy program like Michigan. All that said, Harbaugh is not getting fired this year. Now, he MIGHT resign because he does have a tendency to wear out his welcome and he might see the writing on the wall. But for 6 million plus a year I'd take the criticism as long as they kept paying me. His buyout is a huge number as well. And don't forget that of his assistants and then the cost of a new staff. Those are very big numbers that even a school like Michigan might have to think long and hard about before making a move.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Called THAT one! As one of the 17 Illinois football fans left (3/4 of my fellow alums stopped paying attention to football like 8 years ago) it was a heck of a sweet victory. I read it was the biggest upset in the Big Ten since 1982. Interestingly in the last 6 quarters the Illini have outscored 2 ranked teams in Michigan and Wisconsin 42-37. Is it possible they have actually turned a corner? I won't really start to MAYBE start to believe unless they show they can also beat Purdue next weekend...

That's just how Wisconsin football works. Every year they look super promising, and lose one easy game, and the season is done. They won't see a ranking in the top 10 for the rest of the year now, unless they somehow manage to beat OSU.

In other news, my own school is now ranked at 21. They play South Carolina this weekend. USC has been playing some pretty inspired football the last two weeks, so I suspect it'll be a MUCH tougher game than what I initially thought.

Bubba

Cyburbian
In other news, my own school is now ranked at 21. They play South Carolina this weekend. USC has been playing some pretty inspired football the last two weeks, so I suspect it'll be a MUCH tougher game than what I initially thought.
It's pretty cool seeing App State ranked and winning games as a ranked team. Georgia State (same conference) is quietly having a good season, despite a couple of losses (with wins over Tennessee and Army), but I'm expecting App State to stomp them later this season.

Planit

Cyburbian
A couple big big10 matchups this weekend:
#8 Notre Dame v #19 Michigan
#13 Wisconsin v #3 Ohio State

And a big SEC matchup:
#9 Auburn v #2 LSU

Gators are off this weekend & getting ready for a little game in Jacksonville next week. I wonder if bubba is up for our normal bet?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Gators are off this weekend & getting ready for a little game in Jacksonville next week. I wonder if bubba is up for our normal bet?
As always, despite not knowing which version of the UGA offense will show up.

Auburn-LSU will be interesting, especially since I think LSU is capable of beating Bama this season...

zman

Cyburbian
Colorado and Southern Cal tonight from Boulder. Long forgotten cannibal Pac-12 match up where my Buffs are decimated by injury, new coaching scheme, and a habit of not winning in the pac-12. If the Colorado that beat Arizona State shows up, maybe a different story. My prediction, turning the game off at halftime and going to bed.

(This has been your random Pac-12 post in a thread full of SEC and Big 10 talk... ;) )

Will be checking in on Notre Dame/Michigan tomorrow... Go Irish!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Will be checking in on Notre Dame/Michigan tomorrow... Go Irish!
Well, that was a surprise.They played like a real team and while I feel good about most of their remaining games, I think that they will need to do more than that to beat OSU, and frankly, I don’t think they have it in them.

With that, I wonder who will replace Harbaugh next year. The only way he keeps his job is if he wins the rest of the games this season...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The only way he keeps his job is if he wins the rest of the games this season...
Or they at least beat OSU, but either are pretty much long shots.

I watched the second half of the game last night. It's fun to watch the team you're rooting for play well and win.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Indiana Hoosiers are bowl-eligible, and it’s not even November.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Chase Young is the best football player this year so far. I would like to see a defensive player win the Heisman, but I don't see that happening in the dual threat QB world we live in now.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Woof. Wisconsin was awful this week. Not even a contest vs. OSU. Oh well. Didn't expect much after the Illinois loss.

App moved up a single spot to #20. 3 weeks in a row as a top 25 ranked team, so I'll take it. Still undefeated. The South Carolina game should tell us more.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
App moved up a single spot to #20. 3 weeks in a row as a top 25 ranked team, so I'll take it. Still undefeated. The South Carolina game should tell us more.
Yep, it will tell you that South Carolina is not very good at football. App State should be favored in that game.

Chase Young is the best football player this year so far. I would like to see a defensive player win the Heisman, but I don't see that happening in the dual threat QB world we live in now.
He's an athletic freak for sure. And will probably be a Top 3 draft choice. But to be fair, it's not exactly like OSU has played any offenses that are scary good either. The best offense they've played is Indiana. Jalen Hurts is still my pick for now. Oklahoma didn't lose because of him. It's between him and Joe Burrow.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Huge win for college athletes today. NCAA BoG ruled unanimously today to allow student athletes to be paid for their likenesses, use of their name, and images. New rules will allow them to sign licensing contracts and endorsement deals.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Huge win for college athletes today. NCAA BoG ruled unanimously today to allow student athletes to be paid for their likenesses, use of their name, and images. New rules will allow them to sign licensing contracts and endorsement deals.
They didn't have a choice. Florida was going to do it next, and then EVERY state was going to pass legislation. Now we can move on.

Hopefully this will make schools in the MAC and other useless football conferences begin to spend less on football / basketball. Hopefully it will push the haves (Big 6 conferences) to be thought of differently and allow the smaller schools to focus on other sports... probably not, but either way it is a good day for college athletes.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
They didn't have a choice. Florida was going to do it next, and then EVERY state was going to pass legislation. Now we can move on.

Hopefully this will make schools in the MAC and other useless football conferences begin to spend less on football / basketball. Hopefully it will push the haves (Big 6 conferences) to be thought of differently and allow the smaller schools to focus on other sports... probably not, but either way it is a good day for college athletes.
I don’t think that will happen. Think about all the coaches who got their start at MAC schools. Brian Kelly with ND for example was with Grand Valley State University and then with Central Michigan. Butch Jones was also with Central Michigan.

Some schools like Northern Michigan know that hockey is their bread and butter and despite having a football team that plays in the world’s largest wooden dome, they know that they have a top 20 hockey program and that is where they spent their money.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I don’t think that will happen. Think about all the coaches who got their start at MAC schools.
I'm not sure why that couldn't keep happening. My point is that you don't spend to compete with players in the Big 12 if you are in the MAC. Coaches will still win in those pointless games, and be given opportunities at bigger and more important schools.

My point is that I hope this widens the gaps between the haves and have-nots enough to stop having smaller schools spend the crazy money they are (Ball State is putting in a $15m indoor facility - although that will be shared by soccer too I guess) to try and win a couple pointless games a year. It will also hopefully make that cut so clear that SEC schools will stop scheduling to play Alabama A&M ;)

I would rather see such a divide that we don't have to watch WAC schools play ACC schools because generally it is pointless. I would rather see Florida play Northwestern than Florida play Coastal Carolina.

My perfect world would include the following:

Real Football (D1)
ACC
Big12
Big10
PAC12
SEC

The Rest of Football (D2)
Everyone else

*Rules:

-Real football has to play teams from real football conferences.
-Real football makes bowl games that matter.
-Only 15 teams can be in each real football conference MAX.
-If you team is in a conference that is in the rest of football, then move to a real football conference.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I'm not sure why that couldn't keep happening. My point is that you don't spend to compete with players in the Big 12 if you are in the MAC. Coaches will still win in those pointless games, and be given opportunities at bigger and more important schools.

My point is that I hope this widens the gaps between the haves and have-nots enough to stop having smaller schools spend the crazy money they are (Ball State is putting in a $15m indoor facility - although that will be shared by soccer too I guess) to try and win a couple pointless games a year. It will also hopefully make that cut so clear that SEC schools will stop scheduling to play Alabama A&M ;)

I would rather see such a divide that we don't have to watch WAC schools play ACC schools because generally it is pointless. I would rather see Florida play Northwestern than Florida play Coastal Carolina.

My perfect world would include the following:

Real Football (D1)
ACC
Big12
Big10
PAC12
SEC

The Rest of Football (D2)
Everyone else

*Rules:

-Real football has to play teams from real football conferences.
-Real football makes bowl games that matter.
-Only 15 teams can be in each real football conference MAX.
-If you team is in a conference that is in the rest of football, then move to a real football conference.
What.... you don't think the GLIAC is real football? &$#^)#$

(I was almost able to post that with a straight face... )

Overall, I agree with you. Some schools are not "Football" schools and should not pretend to be by dumping tons of money into a program. Currently there are 125 Division 1 FCS football teams. However I also think that there should also be come other considerations. For example, Notre Dame is an independent program. Should they be required to join a different conference if they want to participate in bowls?

Bubba

Cyburbian
For example, Notre Dame is an independent program. Should they be required to join a different conference if they want to participate in bowls?
In Hink's realignment scheme? Definitely. In the currently reality? Not necessarily, but I think their bowl access should be the same as any other D-1 independent. ND football hasn't been relevant as a true national power in, what, 20+ years?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
In Hink's realignment scheme? Definitely. In the currently reality? Not necessarily, but I think their bowl access should be the same as any other D-1 independent. ND football hasn't been relevant as a true national power in, what, 20+ years?
I like to think they haven't been relevant since last Saturday! :troll:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
ND would need to be put into a conference. Independent football is pointless. They aren't independent and the other sports they have are already within a conference. Get over yourself ND.

AG74683

Cyburbian
ND would need to be put into a conference. Independent football is pointless. They aren't independent and the other sports they have are already within a conference. Get over yourself ND.
Not just pointless, but unfair. Conference championships make or break a season, yet somehow ND is exempt from that.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
But, but, but it's Notre Dame. God's gift to college football. They have a divine right to be ranked in the top 10, no matter bad their record. They deserve to be in one of the top bowl games. They are Notre Dame. :r:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
People will always want to see the App States of the world rise up and smite the Michigans of the world. And never forget the Plainfield Teachers Colleges, either. ;)

If you want professional football, wait til Sundays in the fall.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
That is one good thing about the Irish not being in a conference. The odds of them being in the playoff unless they're undefeated is very slim. And we all saw last year that even being undefeated might not mean much considering how they got smoked by Clemson.

Planit

Cyburbian
I need to look into it, but I thought when ND joined the ACC in all sports except football that football was coming into the conference within a certain timeframe - 8 years? 10 years? Maybe?

Although my alma mater received about $1.7 million combined for playing NCState & Alabama this year they should not be considered real games. That basically pays for the football program which allows others sports to be played using university funds.

I agree with you hink (& others), plays games against same tier level teams. IF tosu still wants to play Little Mountain State College & pay them some gate receipts, go for it, but don't allow them to count in the rankings.

Bubba

Cyburbian
IF tosu still wants to play Little Mountain State College & pay them some gate receipts, go for it, but don't allow them to count in the rankings.
There's precedence for this with D-1 basketball - games against D-2, D-3, and NAIA schools are not included in the "tournament resume" that the playoff committee considers for each D-1 school with regards to seeding and at-large bids.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I need to look into it, but I thought when ND joined the ACC in all sports except football that football was coming into the conference within a certain timeframe - 8 years? 10 years? Maybe?
Hockey too. Football and hockey are the only two where they remain as Independents.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
People will always want to see the App States of the world rise up and smite the Michigans of the world. And never forget the Plainfield Teachers Colleges, either. ;)
Well, that opportunity might not be far off. East Carolina University will walk into the Big House for the first game of the 2023 season. ECU's tailgating is stronger than their football program, but is still an ACC Division 1 team...

Oh maybe Rutgers destroying OSU in a few weeks. I know tons and tons of people who would love to see that happen too.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Well, that opportunity might not be far off. East Carolina University will walk into the Big House for the first game of the 2023 season. ECU's tailgating is stronger than their football program, but is still an ACC Division 1 team...
I went to ECU for a semester when I got out of the Marines before I realized my liver wouldn't survive so I moved back to Michigan.

That said, ECU may have a pretty crappy program right now but they do have occasional good seasons so who knows what kind of team will show up 4 years from now in Ann Arbor...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
ECU is an AAC school, not an ACC school. Big difference. Notre Dame is independent in football, in the BIG 10 for hockey and the ACC for other sports. There is no deal for them to go to the ACC in football, they just have to play a certain number of ACC teams each year.

Generally games against FCS (formerly I-AA) teams don't count towards the number of wins required for bowl eligibility but there are some caveats.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Oh maybe Rutgers destroying OSU in a few weeks. I know tons and tons of people who would love to see that happen too.
Exactly. There are pointless games in big boy conferences too, I get that. But honestly, Rutgers shouldn't be in the Big10.

AG74683

Cyburbian
ECU is an AAC school, not an ACC school. Big difference. Notre Dame is independent in football, in the BIG 10 for hockey and the ACC for other sports. There is no deal for them to go to the ACC in football, they just have to play a certain number of ACC teams each year.

Generally games against FCS (formerly I-AA) teams don't count towards the number of wins required for bowl eligibility but there are some caveats.
I totally thought ND was still Independent in hockey. When did they join the Big 10?

And FWIW, there is no way ECU beats Michigan. Not even a depleted Michigan team. I'll withhold my opinion of ECU, but suffice to say that I wouldn't send the children of my worst enemy to that school.

Bubba

Cyburbian
...and down goes App State. That was quite disappointing...I really wanted to see where an undefeated Sun Belt team would end up in a bowl game.

AG74683

Cyburbian
...and down goes App State. That was quite disappointing...I really wanted to see where an undefeated Sun Belt team would end up in a bowl game.
Meh, I expected them to lose. Every season when it looks like we're going to be undefeated, Georgia Southern happens. It's been that way forever, even before they moved to the Sun Belt. When they played in the SOCON the same garbage would happen.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Jacksonville is only 2 hours away and I was offered tickets to the Cocktail Party but alas we have a festival here this weekend so no go for me. One of these days . . . .

Planit

Cyburbian
Jacksonville is only 2 hours away and I was offered tickets to the Cocktail Party but alas we have a festival here this weekend so no go for me. One of these days . . . .
C'mon man! That's a bigger "festival"

bubba & I would have gone in your place :cool:

Bubba

Cyburbian
Dude...you chose poorly. :beer::stout::cheers:

Anyhoo, what a weird game - the officiating was PAC 12-level atrocious. My beloved Dawgs got the benefit of all of the bad/wrong calls in the first half, and Planit's Gators had every call go their way in the second half.

Planit

Cyburbian
Several close games and several not...

If Florida (& refs) had played the entire game like they did the 2nd half, the outcome would have been different. Yes bubba it was a weird one. My niece didn't even taunt text me during the game (which she usually does), but she did afterwards in a reserved way.
ND survived VaTech (boo)
Memphis with a shootout win over SMU
Auburn got their W
Cincy & Utah both needed big 4th quarters to win
FSU fired Willie T.

Top 5 are all unbeaten:
LSU
Bama
tOSU

Clemson
Penn State

Bubba

Cyburbian
FSU fired Willie T.
Considering the dumpster fire Jimbo left when he bailed out of Tally for College Station, Willie never really had a chance for success. He's a good dude and a good coach, so hopefully he'll land on his feet somewhere.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Considering the dumpster fire Jimbo left when he bailed out of Tally for College Station, Willie never really had a chance for success. He's a good dude and a good coach, so hopefully he'll land on his feet somewhere.
The Cleveland Browns may be looking for a new coach very soon. ;)