• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 NCAA Football Thread of Dabo & others

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Considering the dumpster fire Jimbo left when he bailed out of Tally for College Station, Willie never really had a chance for success. He's a good dude and a good coach, so hopefully he'll land on his feet somewhere.
Eh, he's getting paid over 18M to NOT work. I'm sure he's fine.

Planit

Cyburbian
ESPN has a good article on the results of NCAA coach's survey on the playoffs.

Should field be expanded to 8 teams? 30 of 62 said Yes - 23 said No (personally yes)
Do you trust the selection committee? 51 Yes - 4 No - 6 No Comment (personally NC)
Do you understand how teams are chosen? 35 Yes - 21 No - 6 Other (personally no) Ryan Day of tosu said "style points matter" which explains a lot
Should winning conference championship be a requirement? 16 Yes - 36 No - 7 Maybe - 3 Don't know (personally yes)

There are a couple more questions, the Harabaugh approach & Notre Dame's stance included.

I'm not a coach, nor do I play one on TV, but as fans its good conversation to have.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
ESPN has a good article on the results of NCAA coach's survey on the playoffs.

Should field be expanded to 8 teams? 30 of 62 said Yes - 23 said No (personally yes)
Do you trust the selection committee? 51 Yes - 4 No - 6 No Comment (personally NC)
Do you understand how teams are chosen? 35 Yes - 21 No - 6 Other (personally no) Ryan Day of tosu said "style points matter" which explains a lot
Should winning conference championship be a requirement? 16 Yes - 36 No - 7 Maybe - 3 Don't know (personally yes)

There are a couple more questions, the Harabaugh approach & Notre Dame's stance included.

I'm not a coach, nor do I play one on TV, but as fans its good conversation to have.
That is interesting... for me, yes on the 8 teams, no I do not trust the selection committee, I don't fully understand how the teams are chosen and osu has no style outside their marching band, thus no points should be granted. As for winning a conference championship... I am a maybe leaning yes.

Bubba

Cyburbian
So, scheduling - UGA's out-of-conference schedule in 2030: Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, TBD
And in 2031: Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, TBD

Planit

Cyburbian
I was unable to watch any NCAAF this weekend except for the last 5 minutes or so of LSU beating 'Bama (which was pretty good).

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So I was on vacation last week and not able to post about football (or other things for that matter). My thoughts on Chase Young are that he is going to end up like Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. I just have to wonder whether these things are ever going to either A.)Be caught more often (I believe that LOTS of players do this), or B.)Made permissible or somehow ignored.

If you want me to believe that he got some money from a "friend" to pay for his girlfriend to go to the Rose Bowl, then you have A LOT more effort to go. That is the language of someone who has a good alibi and one that will like work. But make no mistake, it wasn't for that.

I also think Rutgers should just call it in this weekend. Maybe they all have to shower and can't make it? Or hope the snow keeps falling?

Planit

Cyburbian
Tua done for the year.

I kept listening to the pundits and their 20-20 hindsight that Tua should have left the game with a 37-3 lead in the 2nd quarter. Saban said he was working on a 2-minute drill & Tua wouldn't have the 2nd half. Either way it is bad for the kid.

Georgia v Auburn was a good game, but I only got to watch part of the 2nd half. Again this weekend there was too much going on to watch games, plus it was a pretty day.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Utah

If things play out the way they should, that is my guess of the final four. Honestly though with Alabama not having a QB, they can't play spoiler, so I don't see the SEC changing. Utah will beat Oregon, so they should be in. Clemson has played no one, but that doesn't ever matter, they were good last year. The Buckeye's have to beat three really good teams (Penn State, Michigan, and likely Minnesota), but if they do they should probably be 1, but will likely be 2, because you know the SEC.

AG74683

Cyburbian
1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Utah

If things play out the way they should, that is my guess of the final four. Honestly though with Alabama not having a QB, they can't play spoiler, so I don't see the SEC changing. Utah will beat Oregon, so they should be in. Clemson has played no one, but that doesn't ever matter, they were good last year. The Buckeye's have to beat three really good teams (Penn State, Michigan, and likely Minnesota), but if they do they should probably be 1, but will likely be 2, because you know the SEC.
At this point the National Championship is basically set. LSU v. Ohio State. I don't see any other possibility.

I'm really bummed that Minnesota managed to lose to Iowa. I was really excited for that team and their program.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
At this point the National Championship is basically set. LSU v. Ohio State. I don't see any other possibility.

I'm really bummed that Minnesota managed to lose to Iowa. I was really excited for that team and their program.
That's probably the most likely title game. Minnesota losing to Iowa doesn't really change anything for them. But I think they will lose to Wisconsin and the Badgers will go to the BIG championship game again. And lose. Again.

I'm hopeful against OSU this week but they are really stacked and all of a sudden PSU can't seem to stop the forward pass.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Ah...Kirby Smart on Line One for you.
I don't think Georgia has the firepower to win the SEC, let alone the whole thing. They have to win out (including the SEC championship) to get in the playoff. There is no other scenario where they have a shot to get in and I just don't see them winning two games in the playoff if they would get in.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I don't think Georgia has the firepower to win the SEC, let alone the whole thing. They have to win out (including the SEC championship) to get in the playoff. There is no other scenario where they have a shot to get in and I just don't see them winning two games in the playoff if they would get in.
They'll win the SEC (playing LSU in Atlanta = advantage UGA). Then, the most Georgia thing ever will be them losing to Ohio State and Justin Fields in the national championship...

Back in the real world, I'm guessing the final will be OSU - Clemson.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
They'll win the SEC (playing LSU in Atlanta = advantage UGA). Then, the most Georgia thing ever will be them losing to Ohio State and Justin Fields in the national championship...

Back in the real world, I'm guessing the final will be OSU - Clemson.
Well we've got that in common. PSU plays OSU this week and Fields was a PSU commit before he went to UGA so it's a full circle kind of thing . . . :thinking:

Planit

Cyburbian
Good games this weekend and some defining results. Talk about your favorites.
Oregon was being talked about as a final 4, but falter against dvd's guys.
I reckon hink is smiling
bubba is happy
My alma mater scored on Alabama (& got a bunch of Benjamins for playing) so that's a little victory in my book.

1. LSU
2. tOSU
3. Clemson
4. UGa
5. 'Bama
6. Utah
7. Oklahoma
8. Florida
9. Minnesota
10. Michigan

Bubba

Cyburbian
bubba is happy
Albeit tired of sweating through fourth quarter comebacks from the other team. Hopefully we can coast in the second half against GA Tech so I'm a bit more relaxed when Mrs. Bubba's family shows up for a late Thanksgiving dinner Saturday evening. Speaking of Mrs. Bubba, she didn't know (or remember) that Texas A&M was in the SEC - I'm guessing that she would have known if they had a D-1 women's gymnastics team (she's a borderline militant Gym Dawgs fan).

My alma mater scored on Alabama (& got a bunch of Benjamins for playing) so that's a little victory in my book.
Saban, to his credit, is generally good about taking his foot off the gas in the second half of paycheck games.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Penn State is good, but I don't think it was much of a game (other than a very a-typical 3rd quarter full of turnovers).

Chase Young still should be at the Heisman ceremony, even if they don't give it to him. He is a monster.

zman

Cyburbian
Colorado beat Washington. That's all I care about this week. They'll get killed by Utah this weekend, but things are looking up for the Buffs!

Planit

Cyburbian
So much for Rivalry Saturday games...except for the Iron Bowl.

What a great game (just football wise & forget about the rivalry-well not really). Bama lost the game (Saban view), but Auburn won with missed field goal + game ending penalty from the Tide. Hardly is that the real reason. It was another great Iron Bowl game.

Bye 'Bama. First time in many years they are this low in the polls.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I mean I want to gloat, but it is really pointless these days. Ohio State just dismantled Michigan in the Big House without their best DB. Michigan looked great for one or two plays, but overall their skill is just not as good. I find it funny that Harbaugh took offense to the question about the skill gap. It is so apparent that anyone that isn't a homer can see it. Shea Patterson v. Justin Fields? Really? JK Dobbins v. Charbonnet? Really? There is a HUGE gap. That makes two losses in 18 years? Yikes.

I don't see Michigan firing Harbaugh, even though they should for the money they are paying him. Honestly there aren't that many good coaches out there right now. I would imagine there are even fewer good coaches out there that would jump to Michigan at this time.

---

I think Ohio State and LSU are in even if they lose. Clemson is in no matter what. If Georgia beats LSU they are in.

So if LSU wins, who else is in? Utah? Oklahoma?

Or do you see some other grouping?

1/2/3 - Ohio State, LSU, Clemson

4 - ?

AG74683

Cyburbian
I mean I want to gloat, but it is really pointless these days. Ohio State just dismantled Michigan in the Big House without their best DB.
I know OSU is good just about every year and are in the championship discussion all the time. Every year they also somehow screw up an important game and get bounced out. I think this year is different, they have the best time I've seen come out of OSU in years. No doubt the championship match up will be OSU vs. LSU, and it'll be a great game.

App. State fully dismantled Troy over the weekend. They're now ranked at 20. Current projections have us in the AutoNation Cure Bowl vs. UCF on December 21st, the Belk Bowl vs. Pittsburgh, or the New Orleans Bowl vs. UAB. I think the Belk Bowl is unlikely because that's generally ACC vs. SEC. One projection has us in the LendingTree Bowl on January 6th vs. Miami University, but I think that's some hardcore BS for a 20th rank team to be in that crappy bowl.

Frankly, I want the NCAA to step up and put us in the damn Cotton Bowl. DO IT.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I think Ohio State and LSU are in even if they lose. Clemson is in no matter what. If Georgia beats LSU they are in.

So if LSU wins, who else is in? Utah? Oklahoma?

Or do you see some other grouping?

1/2/3 - Ohio State, LSU, Clemson

4 - ?
UGA has been in a de facto playoff ever since they clinched the SEC East - win and they're in. For the record, I fully expect them to lose to LSU, get the Sugar Bowl bid, and lose that game again due to disinterest.

Clemson is in with a win over UVA (and I think they're out with a loss, but UVA may have emptied the tank in the fourth quarter against VPI). OSU is in with a win or a close loss. LSU is in. I think that Utah has a good case for the fourth bid with a win in the PAC 12 title game.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I think Harbaugh is a complete whackadoodle but I don't blame him for his reaction to that question. Of course it's the talent level (or depth of it specifically) but he's not going to throw his players under the bus.

And I'll just say this about the Iron Bowl. Why was it a "great" game? I mean it was entertaining for sure but if you had a game like that in the PAC 12 or the BIG 10 all we'd hear is "they don't play defense". But in the SEC it's just a "great game". Would it have been a "great game" if that was the score of say South Carolina and Vanderbilt?

Alabama should not even be in the conversation for a New Year's 6 bowl game but they will be. I'm sorry, yeah they're pretty good but the reality is they didn't play that hard of a schedule and they have ZERO wins over ranked teams. There are other teams more deserving based on results THIS year. By the way, did you all see that crazy stat that Alabama has missed more field goal attempts than any other team in college football since 2007? That's pretty wild.

If everything else holds to form (OSU, LSU and Clemson all win Saturday) that 4th spot is going to be interesting. If Baylor beats Oklahoma I think Utah should get in (if they win of course). If Oklahoma wins and Utah wins I really don't know. Both lost a game on the road to an 8-4 team. I think maybe in that case the committee might favor Oklahoma just because of two incredible comebacks they had. One they still lost against Kansas State and the wild game they won against Baylor. I know some will argue for Georgia but they'd have two losses and one was to a really bad South Carolina team. If they somehow beat LSU I think they're in the playoff and probably LSU still is as well.

OSU looks like the best team and I'd vote them #1 at this point but we really don't know how good Clemson is because they have not been tested.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Despite my opposition... Jim Harbaugh will remain as the coach for the University of Michigan for at least another season...

Planit

Cyburbian
And I'll just say this about the Iron Bowl. Why was it a "great" game? I mean it was entertaining for sure but if you had a game like that in the PAC 12 or the BIG 10 all we'd hear is "they don't play defense". But in the SEC it's just a "great game". Would it have been a "great game" if that was the score of say South Carolina and Vanderbilt?
I say it was a great game for several reasons:
2 SEC power teams
2 ranked teams
In-state rivalry
SEC & SEC West rivalry
Game was very close - back & forth the entire time
Both had big plays
Upset hurt one's chances to be top 4 - hence playoff

Yes - if USC & Vandy had these points in play for their game, the answer is yes.

Planit

Cyburbian
There are 2 people in our lobby wearing Alabama sweatshirts & the guy is wearing a 'Bama ball cap. I wanted to walk by them and say WAR EAGLE.

However a Gator fan would not do that, but ... :cool:

Planit

Cyburbian
Conference Championships the weekend - & kicking off tonight!

Friday
#5 Utah v #13 Oregon

Saturday
#7 Baylor v #6 Oklahoma
Louisiana v #21 App State
Miami (OH) v Central Michigan
UA Birmingham v Florida Atlantic
#20 Cincinnati v #17 Memphis
#4 Georgia v #2 LSU
Hawaii v #19 Boise State
#23 Virginia v #3 Clemson
#1 tOSU v #8 Wisconsin

AG74683

Cyburbian
All eyes gonna be on that Georgia LSU matchup. Baylor Oklahoma should be good too. Matt Rhule has been kicking around the rumor mill as a possible Panthers HC replacement.

That Miami game is important to App because their most likely match up in whatever bowl game they pull will come from that championship. I am a Wisconsin fan but I expect OSU to absolutely destroy them. I'm guessing there will be at least a 14 point difference in that game.