• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2019 NCAA Football Thread of Dabo & others

Bubba

Cyburbian
UGA was pulling students out of the stands by the four quarter against LSU to line up at WR...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah that didn't help at all. It was already going to be a tough climb anyway. The Georgia offense just didn't have enough firepower this year to hang with LSU. But a healthier team may have made it closer.

I'm pretty stunned that both Alabama and Notre Dame finished where they did. I give the committee props for that. Bama did not have a single good win. And the beatdown Michigan gave the Domers really dropped them. They didn't go on pedigree unlike the AP and coach's polls.

Planit

Cyburbian
Well there was at least one good game yesterday. Clemson took care of business & it looked like Oklahoma missed the bus to the game after the way LSU played.

Go Tigers! ;)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I will keep my whining to a minimum, but the refing was pretty bad. With that said, I am glad we aren't playing LSU.

I don't think this year says much about moving to an 8 game playoff. There were three good teams this year. Obviously Oklahoma shouldn't have been part of the conversation. Ohio State could of (and should of) beat Clemson. LSU just looks amazing.

Joe B wasn't even trying. I think Clemson loses by 3 touchdowns. Particularly after they got beat up by OSU and LSU didn't have much difficulty with Oklahoma....yikes.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Could have and should have? I guess that's true if OSU scores some TDs instead of touchdowns and don't turn the ball over. I'll grant you the one play was a head-scratcher but OSU had plenty of chances. And their "all-world" game wrecker on defense was pretty much MIA.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Okay - what's the prediction for the vrbo Citrus Bowl?
Michigan or Alabama

Or the Outback Bowl?
Minnesota or Auburn

Several here should have an opinion on these games.

Me? Both SEC teams will prevail...but it will depend on if Alabama cares.
Alabama will win... even with the second and 3rd lines. I wish it was not the case, but it is.

To playoff Saturday... OS-who? LSU is going to destroy Clemson.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Sugar Bowl is shaping up to be a train wreck interesting - UGA will have almost 20 scholarship players unavailable due to injury (or holding themselves out to avoid the possibility of a pre-NFL draft injury), and Baylor's head coach is spending most of his time this week trying to land a NFL HC job.

Planit

Cyburbian
Clemson should be a much better opponent than Oklahoma.

When tOSU had a good lead in the first half, I heard people saying it was over. They just don't know what Clemson is capable of doing. This game should be closer than some think.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I agree with you that it should be closer than many think. The thing is that we just didn't know how good Clemson really was because they haven't been challenged. But now that's been asked and answered.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Woof woof woof. I haven't researched it, but Kirby Smart might now be the only college HC with both Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl wins (as HC) on his resume.

The Rose Bowl was damn entertaining as well.

Planit

Cyburbian
Talking with some friends at lunch today and I said there were no more decent bowl games left until the Championship game. He said Tennessee was on tonight. Like I said no more decent games left. Then I asked him if he just wanted Tennessee to get another 'L' & he changed subjects.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Probably - just parroting a musing from another poster on a UGA-related board this morning. As noted, it's completely unresearched.
No, I was just curious as I know Bob Stoops and Joe Paterno won all of the historically big bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton).

Bubba

Cyburbian
No, I was just curious as I know Bob Stoops and Joe Paterno won all of the historically big bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton).
Please do not remind me again that Paterno had a Sugar Bowl win. :cursing:

AG74683

Cyburbian
How does everyone think Matt Rhule will do in the NFL? Likely he goes to either the Giants or the Panthers. I don't think I'd mind him too much in Charlotte.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
How does everyone think Matt Rhule will do in the NFL? Likely he goes to either the Giants or the Panthers. I don't think I'd mind him too much in Charlotte.
I say he coaches USC next year. Or Michigan?! :roflmao:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I say he coaches USC next year. Or Michigan?! :roflmao:
Michigan is stuck with their coach for 2 more seasons.

I was pleased at how they played for the first half of the game yesterday... Then Alabama showed up.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
When do we get LSU or Clemson to play Ohio State in Chicago or Cleveland in 20 degree weather? Lets even the playing field.

zman

Cyburbian
When do we get LSU or Clemson to play Ohio State in Chicago or Cleveland in 20 degree weather? Lets even the playing field.
I have always wondered this... play a game north of the Mason-Dixon... maybe even in the snow. Let's see how they do.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have always wondered this... play a game north of the Mason-Dixon... maybe even in the snow. Let's see how they do.
It wouldn't be close. But then where is the fun in that? ;)

Bubba

Cyburbian
Either establish a bowl game in one of those locations with a big enough payout to crack the New Years Six, or get OSU to man up and schedule a regular season home-and-home with a top tier SEC team (or Clemson). OSU would still lose, but it's sooooo cute that you want to see it. ;)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I think the point is that the SEC schools will never come north in November. They'd rather stay home and play their Little Sisters of the Poor Tune Up Game prior to their rivalry game. There have been many series scheduled between north and south teams but it's always early in the year.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I think the point is that the SEC schools will never come north in November. They'd rather stay home and play their Little Sisters of the Poor Tune Up Game prior to their rivalry game. There have been many series scheduled between north and south teams but it's always early in the year.
OSU has home-and home games scheduled against Texas in 2025/2026 and against UGA in 2030/2031 - all four games will be played in late August or early September. Perhaps it's OSU that is too scared to take on a real non-conference opponent late in the season...? Or maybe all Power 5 conference teams would rather play a 1-AA directional team before the big rivalry game in November?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
OSU has home-and home games scheduled against Texas in 2025/2026 and against UGA in 2030/2031 - all four games will be played in late August or early September. Perhaps it's OSU that is too scared to take on a real non-conference opponent late in the season...? Or maybe all Power 5 conference teams would rather play a 1-AA directional team before the big rivalry game in November?
I don't think OSU has a strength of schedule problem. I am pretty confident that they can win or lose to anyone anywhere in the country. I think the point is that the SEC teams are wimps when it comes to cold weather.

The big 10 schedules games at the end of the season, unlike the SEC. Every SEC team plays some FCS team in late October or November :roflmao:

Just so we understand Ohio State's schedule for the next couple years:

2020 - At Oregon
2021 - Oregon
2022 - Notre Dame
2023 - At Notre Dame
2024 - At Washington
2025 - Washington / At Texas
2026 - Texas

I would say they at least try to play one team per year that isn't an FCS opponent, although they do play MAC teams, which are about as close as you can get.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It had to do with the $$$$$$. Not too many people are going to go to Chicago in December or January to watch a bowl game.:cold::cold::cold::cold::cold:

Bubba

Cyburbian
Just so we understand Ohio State's schedule for the next couple years:

2020 - At Oregon
2021 - Oregon
2022 - Notre Dame
2023 - At Notre Dame
2024 - At Washington
2025 - Washington / At Texas
2026 - Texas

I would say they at least try to play one team per year that isn't an FCS opponent, although they do play MAC teams, which are about as close as you can get.
UGA's future non-conference schedule (the Dawgs also play Georgia Tech, a Power 5 school, every November - it ain't their fault that Tech effing sucks at football):

2020 - UVA (neutral site)
2021 - nothing beyond Tech (I'll stipulate that our 2021 schedule is weak as hell)
2022 - Oregon (neutral site)
2023 - at Oregon
2024 - Clemson (neutral site...we used to play them on a home-and-home basis every season before conference expansion)
2025 - at UCLA
2026 - UCLA
2027 - at FSU
2028 - at Texas, FSU
2029 - Texas, at Clemson
2030 - Clemson, Ohio State
2031 - at Ohio State, Oklahoma

2032 - Clemson
2033 - at Clemson

So the Dawgs already have three Power 5 non-conference opponents per season scheduled for 2028 through 2031 - looks like OSU needs to step up their game.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
UGA's future non-conference schedule (the Dawgs also play Georgia Tech, a Power 5 school, every November - it ain't their fault that Tech effing sucks at football):

2020 - UVA (neutral site)
2021 - nothing beyond Tech (I'll stipulate that our 2021 schedule is weak as hell)
2022 - Oregon (neutral site)
2023 - at Oregon
2024 - Clemson (neutral site...we used to play them on a home-and-home basis every season before conference expansion)
2025 - at UCLA
2026 - UCLA
2027 - at FSU
2028 - at Texas, FSU
2029 - Texas, at Clemson
2030 - Clemson, Ohio State
2031 - at Ohio State, Oklahoma

2032 - Clemson
2033 - at Clemson

So the Dawgs already have three Power 5 non-conference opponents per season scheduled for 2028 through 2031 - looks like OSU needs to step up their game.
I think we are seeing better games later in the years because teams are realizing that if the playoff changes, they are going to need to have better wins. Clemson and OSU in the same season is pretty freakin' tough. Same with Ohio State and Oklahoma. I mean Virginia sucks now, but I bet when they were scheduled they didn't.

Planit

Cyburbian
I think the TIGERS who play in DEATH VALLEY will win the Championship. :cool:

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Either establish a bowl game in one of those locations with a big enough payout to crack the New Years Six, or get OSU to man up and schedule a regular season home-and-home with a top tier SEC team (or Clemson). OSU would still lose, but it's sooooo cute that you want to see it. ;)
SEC plays 8 league games...has a system rigged for them...and some barely passing for schools. Lol.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I might have been trolling Hink a little with that...
Hey now, I bit. Honestly though, I like that people are scheduling harder. No offense to Arkansas State (who is on the OSU calendar somewhere in there).

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well I will give Clemson something, they tried.

LSU was shaky at the start, but they looked good the rest of the way. Clemson was not going to stop the Joey B express.

Here is to hoping a Big10 team wins the championship next year ;)

Planit

Cyburbian
The first half was close.

It was going to be difficult for Clemson & was kinda the sense around here (there are several Clemson fans in this area).

Here's hoping the SEC will retain the championship next year. :cool:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I felt pretty confident that it would be a blowout in favor of LSU. No one in our office believed me though.

Joe Burrow looked fantastic, but I'm still worried that this new crop of QB's rely too much on their legs to bail them out when they fail to read plays or adapt to the defense. I think his accuracy with the ball is pretty spectacular though. He had a 77.6 percent completion rating this year. That is insane. Some of his passes were top notch.

Planit

Cyburbian
ESPN has already ranked the teams for next year in their Way Too Early Rankings...hell the trash at the Superdome hasn't even been picked up yet.

1. Clemson
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Louisiana State
5. Oregon
6. Georgia
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Notre Dame

Looky - its most of the usual suspects & #11 through #25 are about the same. UGH!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
ESPN has already ranked the teams for next year in their Way Too Early Rankings...hell the trash at the Superdome hasn't even been picked up yet.

1. Clemson
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Louisiana State
5. Oregon
6. Georgia
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Notre Dame

Looky - its most of the usual suspects & #11 through #25 are about the same. UGH!
And I thought this was the year San Diego State made it. Next year!

Bubba

Cyburbian

1. Clemson
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Louisiana State
5. Oregon
6. Georgia
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Notre Dame

UGA is ranked too high with the number of starters on offense to replace (although the defense may be one of the best in the country)...and don't get me started on Notre Dame being in the top 10.