• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sports 🥌 2020-21 NFL Playoffs

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The playoff picture is coming into focus. I'm a life-long Bills fan; they punched their ticket to the post-season show by crushing the Broncos 48-19 Saturday (and it didn't even look like they were trying that hard). So the Bills are in. Based on games through Sunday night (12/20), the playoff brackets look like this: (NOTE: Updated after Monday Night Football Steelers loss on 12/21)

AFC
No. 1 Chiefs (13-1): BYE

No. 2 Bills (11-3) vs
No. 7 Dolphins (9-5)

No. 3 Steelers (11-2) vs
No. 6 Colts (10-4)

No. 4 Titans (10-4) vs
No. 5 Browns (10-4)

Bubble: Ravens (9-5), Raiders (7-7)

NFC
No. 1 Packers (11-3): BYE

No. 2 Saints (10-4) vs
No. 7 Cardinals (8-6)

No. 3 Seahawks (10-4) vs
No. 6 Buccaneers (9-5)

No. 4 Washington Football Team (6-8) vs
No. 5 Rams (9-5)

Bubble: Bears (7-7), Vikings (6-8), Giants (5-9), Eagles (4-9-1), Cowboys (5-9)

So, who do ya like?

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
With the Steelers losing their third consecutive game Monday night, they drop to the 3rd seed and Buffalo moves up to No. 2 by virtue of their head-to-head win against Pittsburgh.

This brings up an interesting scenario: If these seedings hold, the Bills will play the Dolphins in Buffalo in their final regular season game, then play them again, in Buffalo, in the first week of the playoffs. Before the Belichick era Miami was the Bills' nemesis, at one point beating them twice a year for ten years straight, so back-to-back wins against the Dolphins would exorcise some old demons. In fact the coming weeks could be, if the Bills win their next three (Patriots, Dolphins and perhaps the Dolphins again in the playoffs), they could exert their clear dominance over their division. Of course the Dolphins are no longer a pushover either and the opposite could happen if the Dolphins curb stomp the Bills.

The Steelers are looking rough at 11-3 with an active 3-game losing streak, but I wouldn't count them out. But that division is also looking at a changing of the guard, and the losing streak makes that changing of the guard more apparent. But just like the AFC East, the AFC North has two suitors knocking at the door (Cleveland, Baltimore).

This is the culmination of the recent QB drafting. Many of these up-and-comers are being led by a new class of QBs that will dominate the league for a while (similar to the Marino/Kelly/Elway/Young classes... 1983-84). We're seeing something similar today with an infusion of great talent that is bringing a new, highly mobile style of play to the position.

Bubba

Cyburbian
With the Steelers losing their third consecutive game Monday night, they drop to the 3rd seed and Buffalo moves up to No. 2 by virtue of their head-to-head win against Pittsburgh.

Mrs. Bubba's extended family is largely concentrated in western NY, and includes a lot of very vocal Bills fans (lead by my MIL). So, this was my reaction to my wife not getting a reference to the Bills Mafia breaking some tables after they clinched the division:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So what charity is the Bills Mafia going to support to thank Cincy for beating Pittsburgh? When a Cincy win ended the 17 year Bills playoff drought, Bills fans donated thousands to the Andy Dalton Foundation... but he no longer plays there.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What does the headline of the Boston Globe look like today?

MA_BG.jpg

News about the Pats? Tucked away in the lower left hand corner.

Meanwhile, east on the 90 about a seven or eight hour drive away ...

NY_BN.jpg

Damn straight. Go Bills.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Bills have destroyed their last three opponents by an average of 29 points. The Chief have been winning, sure, but by about 4 points. I think the Bills beat the Chiefs in the AFC title game 26-20, and win the Super Bowl by 20+ points.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Bills scored 28 points against the Dolphins in the second half with 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. They scored 56 against the Dolphins, the first time a team leading the league in team opponents points per game allowed 50 or more points in a game.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm thinking this Sunday night game is going to make the earlier Giants-Cowboys game irrelevant. The Eagles are.... bad.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Go Pack Go...

need I say more?

But let's talk about the elephant in the room... We will call it Washington. Since they dropped the mascot they are just a name of a city on the east coast. What do you think the team name should be? Given how the Feds spend money, I would go with the Pork Rinds.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Wildcard round:

AFC
No. 1 Chiefs (14-2): BYE

Saturday, 1/9, 1 PM at Buffalo (CBS)
No. 2 Bills (13-3) vs
No. 7 Colts (11-5)

Sunday, 1/10, 8 PM at Pittsburgh (NBC)
No. 3 Steelers (12-4) vs
No. 6 Browns (11-5)

Sunday, 1/10, 1 PM at Tennesee (ESPN)
No. 4 Titans (11-5) vs
No. 5 Ravens (11-5)

NFC
No. 1 Packers (13-3): BYE

Sunday, 1/10, 4:30 PM at New Orleans (CBS)
No. 2 Saints (12-4) vs
No. 7 Bears (8-8)

Saturday, 1/9, 4:30 PM
No. 3 Seahawks (12-4) vs
No. 6 Rams (10-6)

Saturday, 1/9m 8 PM at Washington
No. 4 Washington Football Team (7-9) vs
No. 5 Buccaneers (11-5)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
But let's talk about the elephant in the room... We will call it Washington. Since they dropped the mascot they are just a name of a city on the east coast. What do you think the team name should be? Given how the Feds spend money, I would go with the Pork Rinds.

The Washington Americans. It fits, it's easy to remember, and nobody will say it's a slur.

americans.jpg

In other news, the Detroit Lions schedule for next year includes the Bird Gauntlet — all the NFL teams named after birds.

Go Bills.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Well that was more exciting than it needed to be. The Bills played their worst game in weeks. Josh Allen ran too much, didn't take enough shots downfield (though when he did he was successful). The play of the game was a 54 yard field goal by Tyler Bass (the longest ever in the playoffs by a rookie) that at the time padded the lead for the Bills but by the end of the game turned out to be margin of victory.

What's significant about that is that Bass beat out veteran Steve Hauschka for the spot, but missed several field goals and extra points early in the season. He got over those rookie jitters and set the record for most 50-plus yard FGs in quarter (3) in the regular season.

Josh Allen didn't have his best game. He only had 328 yards passing, 2 touchdowns, and ran for 54. It felt like the Colts frustrated him, but they scored enough to win.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Dear Colts receivers: you are expected to catch the ball. That’s why they are called “receptions”.

Congrats Doohickie and Dan. Go Bills.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, the Bills escaped. Also look at: Frank Reich foregoing a field goal and going for it on 4th and goal from the 4, and Blankeship missed a 33 yard field goal later. The Colts lost by 3. Yikes. I think in general Reich is a good coach and if they make the 4th and goal he looks better, but there were too many pivotal plays he made the wrong call on. As a Bills fan, I'll take it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Packer game starts at 4:35 PM on Saturday. Not calling for snow, but will be cloudy in the mid 20's down to the mid-teens by the end of the game.

The folks from San Diego will love that.

#GOPACKGO

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Packer game starts at 4:35 PM on Saturday. Not calling for snow, but will be cloudy in the mid 20's down to the mid-teens by the end of the game.

The folks from San Diego will love that.

#GOPACKGO
There is no football team from San Diego.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There is no football team from San Diego.
See, that is how much I care about teams in and around the LA area.

Let's call them the Inglewood Chargers since that is where the arena is located. (Much like the New Jersey Giants)

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Bills, Packers advance on Saturday.

Packers had their way with the Rams.

Bills defense contained Lamar Jacksosn, including a 101 yard pick-6 when the Ravens were driving toward a tying touchdown.

GO BILLS!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
It looks like an all Great Lakes Super Bowl is looking ever more likely. Now only if the Super Bowl could be played in the Great Lakes (no domed stadiums) as well.

NFL Predictions 2021-01-21.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It looks like an all Great Lakes Super Bowl is looking ever more likely.
I was hoping for a Bills / Browns I-90 / Lake Erie Super Bowl. It would be one of those Super Bowls where Browns and Bills fans might not feel so bad if their team lost, because at least another Rust Belt "loser" got their chance to win.