• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2020 Hurricane Season

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Experts agree this hurricane season will be above-average, maybe even extremely active

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Did you ever go through a hurricane at LBI?

I went through one inMargate around 1974(?) and didn’t evacuate (it wasn’t my call). Won’t ever do that again:oops:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Given the virus, murder hornets and everything else, don't even mention it. I live in hurricane county and that's the last thing we need. We've already had a tornado.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
2020 Hurricane Names List

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

Planit

Cyburbian
Bertha has the name to be a big one.

If we get to Kyle, I know there will be Minion references & memes

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well BERTHA has made landfall.

Stay dry MDP, AG & Mskis (& others).

The basement didn't leak with the constant rain last week, but I bet I'll see it this time. Bleh. The last week of storms had us out several times every day clearing trees out of the road. I suspect this will be no different.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Cristobal has crossed over Lake Superior, marking the first time ever a tropical cyclone has made it over that lake. I was looking at the weather map last night before bed and was surprised at how intact Cristobal still was (it was primarily over Wisconsin at that point).

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Here along the coast, we've had two evacuations for hurricanes in the past 3 years and I keep hearing that this season is going to be a bad one. It's exhausting just thinking about it...

Bubba

Cyburbian
My in-laws retired a few years back and purchased a RV (they'd always been big campers). And, it turns out that this particular RV is a hurricane magnet (or maybe they're the hurricane magnet, or some combination thereof). Seems like wherever they head during hurricane season that isn't well inland involves dodging a hurricane or the remnants of one. Florida? Check. Outer Banks? Check. Texas? Check. Nova Scotia? Check.

Anyhoo, flash forward to this summer. Our plans for a grand 25th anniversary trip in August were wrecked by COVID, so we decided to rent a house on the intracoastal waterway in St. Augustine for the week of our anniversary instead (which has always been a favorite destination of my wife's family). And, since my sister is only a couple of hours away, we invited her down for part of it. Mrs. Bubba mentioned all of this in a conversation last week with my MIL - her response was "so, I guess we won't be invited." :ha:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tropical Storm Gonzalo sets a record as it churns toward the Caribbean

This is the earliest that a storm has received a name starting with the letter "G" since the United States began using a named-storm system in 1953. On average the 7th named storm in a season is on September 16.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Time to gas up the generator. I would not be as worried about it, but we are expected to get a bunch of rain over the next few days before the storm arrives so the ground will already be wet.

^This^ is from the Washington Post, and often--as in this case--it becomes increasingly difficult to access their articles.
(They really want you to pay for a subscription! I don't blame them, but I don't access their archives frequently enough to make it financially viable.)

I found a more obscure link that is readable to everybody.
The Washington Post article, (hosted by Colby College in Maine), in PDF form:

Capital Weather Gang
New bill would prohibit the president from nuking a hurricane
The measure is a direct response to President Trump’s reported suggestion of using nuclear bombs to defuse Atlantic tropical cyclones

Planit

Cyburbian
Try and stay dry on the east coast. There's supposed to be a lot of rain in this one, but at least winds will stay down to a Cat. 1 or TS levels.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad I WFH on Tuesdays, should be a fair amount of rain, hopefully not much wind. I hope the questionable tree in the back yard holds up, the tree guy is coming on the 12th.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I understand it's teetering on the TS/Cat 1 level. Not that that's any walk in the park, but at least its not some Cat 3+ killer set to devastate the entire east coast. Appears to be one the locals are quite comfortable staying in place for.

Planit

Cyburbian
My NC Coastal friend (Morehead City) is worried about flooding more than anything. Not at his house, but in the regions between him & Raleigh. Otherwise he not too overly concerned since its a weaker sort on the scale.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It's pretty much past us here. A little bit of wind with some outer bands that came through very early this morning and then some sporadic heavy rain. But nothing significant at all.

It always impresses me how far from the center of the storm the impacts are felt. I was in the ocean Saturday and it was pretty rough with 5-6 foot waves.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh happy day... Sarcasm

The 'storm' has not even really started but an off shoot band came though this morning, took down a tree... on top of a power line near the main freeway interchange knocking out power to street lights and businesses.

It sounds like the worst of it will be overnight and it won't be a big one with all the rain that we have had and the chance of 4 to 6 inches more, this might be a mess tomorrow. Currently, we are 30 miles west of the center of the cone of uncertainty.

estromberg

Cyburbian
Bertha has the name to be a big one.

If we get to Kyle, I know there will be Minion references & memes

I vote that we replace Kyle with Karen. I know it'd be out of sequence, but given the moment of peak Karen that we are in, it just seems fitting.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
As a follow up, why can't we name hurricanes normal names that we can pronounce... like Frank, Joe, Mary, or Ed.

AG74683

Cyburbian
As a follow up, why can't we name hurricanes normal names that we can pronounce... like Frank, Joe, Mary, or Ed.

NOAA is run by them damn liberals who want to be all inclusive with hurricane names!!

This one didn't turn out all that bad here (central NC). We had heavy rain in the morning for a while with thunderstorms. I stayed home to monitor things and take care of the dog (she hates thunderstorms). That was about it. Slept through the night and didn't see any overt signs of heavy rain. Fire pager never went off so I guess we didn't have any major trees down either.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
NOAA is run by them damn liberals who want to be all inclusive with hurricane names!!

This one didn't turn out all that bad here (central NC). We had heavy rain in the morning for a while with thunderstorms. I stayed home to monitor things and take care of the dog (she hates thunderstorms). That was about it. Slept through the night and didn't see any overt signs of heavy rain. Fire pager never went off so I guess we didn't have any major trees down either.

I am all about being inclusive... but I noticed every reporter seems to pronounce Isaias differently. Of all the other names, why this name?

As for a storm report, we are in a flash flood warning until this evening. We received almost 4 inches of rain within a 10 hour span. The winds were kicked up a bit as we had several trees down over roads throughout the area and power crews are working to restore power to more rural areas. Within my City, I have not heard of any buildings being damaged, but one park is still well under water. Throughout the area, there are branches and leaves all over the place but overall there were no real issues for me, well, other than the emergency alarms going off at 12:30 because of the flash flood warnings. My house sits high in a brand new subdivision with great storm water management. If my house floods, someone better be building an Ark.

Planit

Cyburbian
From NC Division of Coastal Management:

USGS didn’t waste any time getting post-Hurricane Isaias oceanfront imagery online. It only covers the oceanfront, and stops at Cape Hatteras. I just added the imagery to the DCM’s online map viewer (link below). Our site does have a “Swipe” tool that will allow you to turn on 2 imagery layers and move the swipe bar to compare changes. If you’re interested in using this tool:

• Turn on the “Post-Hurricane Isaias (2020/08/04)” and another image map layer
  • Click on the “more” tools – looks like 3 horizontal lines with an arrow located on top-left next to the “i” (information icon)
  • Then click on the Swipe Tool
  • A dropdown menu will appear, and that’s where you select the layer you want to swipe
  • Then just move the swipe bar left and right.

If you go to Oak Island for example, you'll see the erosion and the first street off the beach completely covered in sand and ponds. Not too much structural damage.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isaias scraped the Jersey shore but ended up tracking further west inland and dumping much of its moisture there instead of on the coast. We mostly got a lot of wind. Widespread power outages and downed trees.

Personally we lost power at 1pm 8/4 and it's still off, not expected to be restored until Friday. I'm at my house in Newark and thankful to have that option. We lost two large limbs from a tree that was scheduled for removal next week, thankfully only a glancing blow to the roof which dented a gutter (also due for replacement later in the fall). Lots of random debris to clean up.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Vocabulary phrase of day -

Fujiwhara Effect
Weather.gov > News Around NOAA > Fujiwhara Effect

When two hurricanes spinning in the same direction pass close enough to each other, they begin an intense dance around their common center. If one hurricane is a lot stronger than the other, the smaller one will orbit it and eventually come crashing into its vortex to be absorbed. Two storms closer in strength can gravitate towards each other until they reach a common point and merge, or merely spin each other around for a while before shooting off on their own paths. In rare occasions, the effect is additive when the hurricanes come together, resulting in one larger storm instead of two smaller ones.

Planit

Cyburbian
I hope WYP stays okay...

who else is in that area, but haven't posted in a long time - planderella?, BK?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I hope WYP stays okay...

who else is in that area, but haven't posted in a long time - planderella?, BK?
Round one is passing through. So for it's just intermittent rain. I'm interested see what round two brings. It should pass to the west and north of us. So far it looks like rain and wind. We shall see.

New Orleans is getting hit twice. Hope they stay ok.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Laura is going to be bad. Real bad. I'm not looking forward to the pictures we're going to see tomorrow morning. I hope residents are getting the hell out. National Hurricane Center is saying the storm surge is "not survivable".

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the NWS Hurricane Center

1:00 PM CDT Wed Aug 26
Moving: NW at 16 mph
Min pressure: 952 mb
Max sustained: 140 mph

Public Advisory #27A
100 PM CDT

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles (110 km) from the center
and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 175 miles (280 km).
Tropical-storm-force winds have reached the coast of Louisiana and an observing site at Eugene Island recently
measured sustained winds of 39 mph (63 km/h) and a gust to 64 mph (104 km/h).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I haven't been watching or reading the news today but I keep getting push notifications on my phone from various outlets that Laura keeps getting upgraded. Wasn't it still a TS yesterday? Now it's a Cat 4! That seems like a crazy fast escalation.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
A CAT 4 that is hitting pretty square on the coast. I hope people aren't trying to weather the storm, but NPR had a bunch of people on and they were saying how it is just what they do....

I hope everyone stays safe.

Planit

Cyburbian
This could be very similar to 15 years ago...

1598468182077.png

This was Gulfport, Mississippi after Katrina. 18 homes deep from the Gulf were wiped clean.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
If the forecast holds, it's not going to directly hit hugely populated areas which is some good news. But anyone in the area need to get out now. I also hope that Jim Cantore and company move inland instead of trying to stay as close to the coast as they can. I bet we'll be seeing a lot of drone footage tomorrow.

Planit

Cyburbian
Speaking of Jim, he hasn't been on the morning show since March (I tend to have it on while getting ready). He showed up for the hurricane that hit NC coast and not again until this morning at Lake Charles.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Experts agree this hurricane season will be above-average, maybe even extremely active

Experts don't know what they are talking about. :r:

We have lucked out where we are at since we have dodge all the really bad stuff, but I feel for some of the coastal communities and the islands. This is ridiculous.