• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2020 Major League Baseball Thread of Yankees $$$

Planit

Cyburbian
Well the Yankmees just splashed Gerrict Cole with millions of dollars - the former Astros pitcher signed a 9-year deal for $324 million American dollars. I think that would equal about 3500 years of this planners salary to come close.

Strasburg returns to Nats - but for only for $245 million

Giants have added a couple players as well (Gausman & Cozart).

Winter Meetings go into Day 2...

...and there are only 65 days until pitchers & catchers report to Spring Training!!!

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Cole contract is 1 million dollars more than the Angels spent for their entire stadium, INCLUDING the 133 acres of land it took to develop it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The Cole contract is 1 million dollars more than the Angels spent for their entire stadium, INCLUDING the 133 acres of land it took to develop it.
And it's in California where land prices are high. I wonder how much of the contract is guaranteed? It's stuff like this that helps hike up the price of going to major league game.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
A nine year contract for a 29 year old pitcher is completely, utterly ridiculous. Something is fundamentally wrong with the game if a team can afford to do that

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Brewers have lost a ton of guys over the off-season, with little in the way of signings to be happy about. They did sign a Korean League pitcher yesterday that looks interesting. Josh Lindblom. His stats for last year are pretty eye popping. 20-3 record, 2.50 ERA, 189 strikeouts in 194.2 innings. He was also the KBO MVP.

That said, the KBO is generally regarded as a AA to AAA league, so I don't expect those numbers to stay the same in the MLB. Either way, the price was right. Not sure if he's a rotational guy or a relief pitcher though. We still need at least one major piece in the starting rotation.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
A nine year contract for a 29 year old pitcher is completely, utterly ridiculous. Something is fundamentally wrong with the game if a team can afford to do that
I agree completely. We will get to the point where major league games are unaffordable to the average person. It's one of the reasons I prefer minor league games to actually go to. The talent level isn't there yet. But the games are fun to watch and there is more of a family atmosphere to it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I agree completely. We will get to the point where major league games are unaffordable to the average person. It's one of the reasons I prefer minor league games to actually go to. The talent level isn't there yet. But the games are fun to watch and there is more of a family atmosphere to it.
I absolutely LOVE going to minor league games. By far my favorite sport to watch in person. I've only been to one MLB game, but I can't remember much about it. It was the Brewers v. Yankees in the old Milwaukee County Stadium. I just remember it getting rained out. If I do make it to Milwaukee this year for Summerfest, I plan on catching as many Brewers games as I can reasonably afford.

That contract is insane. I do believe it will get the Yankees to the World Series at least. Their pitching was basically the only weak spot in that roster. Small market teams are way more interesting anyway. That's why I really don't care about the Yankees or Dodgers. Buying your way to a World Series isn't fun. Teams that build through their farm system are the best.

Planit

Cyburbian
Angels sign Rendon from Nats for 7 years/$245 million with full no-trade & no-opt out clauses. That's $35 million a year folks.

IF he plays every inning of every game he will make:
$216,050 per game
$24,005 per inning

Weekly (assuming 6 games) paycheck will be $1,296,300 gross.

Bubba

Cyburbian

The New York Yankees and free-agent pitcher Gerrit Cole this week agreed to terms on a massive nine-year, $324 million contract. Here’s one way to put that number of dollars into context: It is more than the Braves have guaranteed to all players currently under contract with the team for all future seasons.

The Braves have guaranteed about $306 million to all players in future seasons, or $18 million less than the Yankees guaranteed one player.

The Braves’ guaranteed contracts at this point include $101 million for 2020, $67 million for 2021, $34 million for 2022, $25 million for 2023, $24 million for 2024, $24 million for 2025, $21 million for 2026 and $10 million for 2027. Those figures don’t include non-guaranteed money, such as club option years in contracts and projected arbitration-set salaries (which are not fully guaranteed until the player is on the opening-day roster).
Subject to change if the Braves reach a deal with Donaldson.

AG74683

Cyburbian
You're correct. He's going to the Arizona D-Backs. :(
I guess the problem was in regards to the deal the California teams would have had to offer. The D-Backs contract is like 85m. Any Cal based team would have needed to offer at least 100m to match the net after tax.

Arizona is an interesting choice. It makes their deal to move Greinke to the Astros look genius. Bumgarner is younger, has a better post season track record, and comes with significant hitting capability.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers add 2-Cy Young winner Corey Kluber to their staff.

It seems they prefer pitchers coming off injuries.

Planit

Cyburbian
doohickie - I just met 2 pitchers on the Rangers 40-man roster. Look for Jeffery Springs & Tyler Mills.

Springs pitched for our local minor team when they won their last championship in 2015.

Mills pitched for us in 2018 & think I heard them say won the AAA MiLB Pitcher of the Year last year.

….and there's 36 days until pitchers & catchers report!

Planit

Cyburbian
As seen on Bleacher Report:

The Houston Astros have fired general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch following MLB's investigation into the team's sign-stealing schemes during its 2017 World Series-winning campaign.

AG74683

Cyburbian
As seen on Bleacher Report:

The Houston Astros have fired general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch following MLB's investigation into the team's sign-stealing schemes during its 2017 World Series-winning campaign.
I'm impressed. I didn't expect Jim Crane to go that way with it. The Astros punished themselves more than the MLB did.

I feel bad for Dodgers fans. Both the Astros and the Red Sox are guilty of the sign stealing, and both World Series happened against the Dodgers.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Astros also lose draft picks and have to pay a $5 mil fine. The Red Sox are next in line to get hammered by the league office...

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I feel bad for Dodgers fans. Both the Astros and the Red Sox are guilty of the sign stealing, and both World Series happened against the Dodgers.
I don't. Sign stealing or not, they got hammered by the sox in 2018. They completely lost that one. 2017, they sent the wrong pitcher to the mound to start a game 7. Kershaw should have been sent to start. end of story. Dave Roberts knows how to get to the playoffs, just doesn't know how to execute and win the ring.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I don't. Sign stealing or not, they got hammered by the sox in 2018. They completely lost that one. 2017, they sent the wrong pitcher to the mound to start a game 7. Kershaw should have been sent to start. end of story. Dave Roberts knows how to get to the playoffs, just doesn't know how to execute and win the ring.
Maybe it doesn't even get to Game 7 if there was no sign stealing.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Reminds me that Luhnow was thought to have taken Cardinals' proprietary information when he left St. Louis to become GM in Houston. (Not condoning the Cardinals' guy that hacked the Houston system to see if Luhnow actually had stolen stuff. Just noticing a pattern when it comes to Luhnow.)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The article I read said that penalizing individual players was not expected, especially since several of them are now with other teams. It said it was the players that did the stealing signs though. I think the should be suspended as well. As compensation to teams that would lose their services, give them the draft picks being taken away from the Astros.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Reminds me that Luhnow was thought to have taken Cardinals' proprietary information when he left St. Louis to become GM in Houston. (Not condoning the Cardinals' guy that hacked the Houston system to see if Luhnow actually had stolen stuff. Just noticing a pattern when it comes to Luhnow.)
I totally forgot about all that. That was a big deal for like a month and totally disappeared.

And I agree, the players absolutely deserve punishment. Season ban for them too.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Carlos Beltran "steps down" as Mets manager this morning.
My favorite part is that he was the only player mentioned by name in Manfred's verdict on the Astros. Now that could be because Beltran is/was no longer a player, but I think it's more likely that the MLB specifically wanted his name out in the open because they wanted it clearly known that he lied about the whole thing, but to air the dirty laundry to force the Mets into making a team decision to get rid of him.

In other Beltran news, his niece tweeted that Altuve and Bregman wore devices that buzzed on the inside shoulder from the hallway video guy. It may not be just limited to them too. There is literally a picture of Josh Reddick from the ALCS wearing something on his shoulder. Definitely looks strange. I think it's likely that we will see player punishments starting.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Braves signed Félix Hernández to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training...based on last season I'm not sure he has anything left in the tank.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Braves signed Félix Hernández to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training...based on last season I'm not sure he has anything left in the tank.

Stable pony for the newbies...

I'm sure he has a wealth of knowledge for the younger pitchers to absorb.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
The White Sox are coming!

Luis Robert....learn the name....you will know it soon. Sox sat on him for a year to drag out his arbitration date.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The White Sox are coming!

Luis Robert....learn the name....you will know it soon. Sox sat on him for a year to drag out his arbitration date.
I'm very excited to see what the White Sox can do this year. Grandal was a fantastic signing, and locking up Abreu for three years was a great idea. Adding Keuchel to the roster was also a solid move. The AL Central is still pretty competitive with the Indians and Twins really showing out. I'm not sure the White Sox can move out of that third place spot just yet.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I'm very excited to see what the White Sox can do this year. Grandal was a fantastic signing, and locking up Abreu for three years was a great idea. Adding Keuchel to the roster was also a solid move. The AL Central is still pretty competitive with the Indians and Twins really showing out. I'm not sure the White Sox can move out of that third place spot just yet.
Don't forget adding Gio back! If Kopech and Cease develop and Lopez can be more consistent, that will tell a lot of how far they will go. I am hoping they add one more bullpen piece.

Planit

Cyburbian
Let's see what's going on in baseball:

Dodgers receive Mookie Betts & David Price from the BoSox
A pitcher is going to sue the Astros because their sign stealing cost him his career
Pitchers & Catchers report this week (& some are already there!)

DVD - I expect spring training reports from the AZ sites.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yelich and the Brewers agreed to a 9 year contract extension that'll pay out around $215 mil. WELL worth it, even though he is like 28.

Planit

Cyburbian
Hey RJ & AG - Do you think the D'backs will put out a Mad-Bum rodeo bobblehead as a promotion???

hahaha

AG74683

Cyburbian
Hey RJ & AG - Do you think the D'backs will put out a Mad-Bum rodeo bobblehead as a promotion???

hahaha
Would be cool, I'd love to see it. I'm pretty sure he's trying to distance himself from the whole thing.

Planit

Cyburbian
News / rumors are out there now that MLB is considering multiple double-headers (maybe 2 a week) to complete the 162 game schedule.

Planit

Cyburbian
The proposal that's being floated now is for a 100 game season to start on July 1st, with no All-Star break and finishing up with the World Series in mid-November. Justification for that was that on July 25th last year, 100 games were played and of the 10 teams in playoff position at that time, 8 made the playoffs. This includes some double-headers, but not as many as 2 a week as was discussed earlier.

Our local MiLB team is holding an "Opening Day" social media event on what was supposed to be the home opener. Take a picture in your baseball garb and send it in, you may win a prize or so.