• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2020 Major League Baseball Thread of Yankees $$$

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well talks didn't continue so the owners get to impose their schedule...

"spring" training 2.0 starts on July 1
60 games starting the end of July, ending in October
10 team playoffs
full pro-rated salaries for players
no playoff bonuses for players (no fans & those bonuses were figured on gate receipts)
still possible DH for National League (GRRR!!! UGH!!!)

I guess the MLBPA rejected that offer. I don't think we'll see baseball this season.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm curious to see how teams will handle in-season injuries - no minor leagues this year, so who gets added to the active roster as a replacement when a player has to go on the injured list? Your AA and AAA guys aren't exactly going to be in game-ready shape...

AG74683

Cyburbian
No. There will be baseball.

Well dang! I didn't believe it! Both sides seemed so far apart just a few days ago. Looks like it's 60 games in 66 days. I'm guessing we'll see some larger starting rotations to try and get the big guys a little more rest?

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm curious to see how teams will handle in-season injuries - no minor leagues this year, so who gets added to the active roster as a replacement when a player has to go on the injured list? Your AA and AAA guys aren't exactly going to be in game-ready shape...

MLB teams will get to designate a pool of 60 players to choose their active roster from, and the remainder will get to participate in a version of extended spring training to keep them in game-shape for call-ups during the season.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Buffalo may be the smallest metropolitan area in the United States to have three of the big four professional sports. The Buffalo Bills for the NFL, the Buffalo Sabres for the NHL, and the Buffalo Blue Jays for MLB.

Sahlen Field, originally Pilot Field, awas one of the nation's first neotraditional baseball stadiums. It was built with provisions for expansion, in the hopes that Buffalo would eventually get a major league baseball team. 32 years after it was built, it could finally be happening. Kind of.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think this dual league DH thing should be interesting. I drafted Ryan Braun in my fantasy baseball league just because I'm a Brewers fan. I know Braun won't play every game anymore. But with the DH role in the NL he may actually bat in every game, even if he doesn't touch the outfield.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Fixed that for you.

I don't particularly care for it, but in this day and age where pitchers cost literally an arm and a leg, I kind of understand it. That's an incredibly valuable asset at bat, and one wild pitch could take them out for an extended period. I think back to when my cousin, who was a fantastic baseball player and probably would have at least made it to college on a scholarship, took a foul tip off the end of the bat to the face. He never played again. Happened to a kid at my high school too.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I recognize the DH will (probably sooner than later) be universal. I'm resigned to it. Yes, there are logical reasons for it, as AG suggests. But it fundamentally changes the nature and strategy of the game. I will lament the loss, and believe the replacement is a diminished form of a game I love.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I recognize the DH will (probably sooner than later) be universal. I'm resigned to it. Yes, there are logical reasons for it, as AG suggests. But it fundamentally changes the nature and strategy of the game. I will lament the loss, and believe the replacement is a diminished form of a game I love.

There are sort of semi-logical reasons (if you squint really hard), as AG suggests (and what happened to his cousin and the kid at his high school sucks), but that sort of things happens to position players as well. And, pitchers can also get clobbered by line drives back up the middle (which happened to a Yankees pitcher a week or so ago). Do we need to allow them to pitch during games from behind a BP screen?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'm hot a fan of the DH but I think MLB will use this season as a trial run and make it permanent. That being said, as a life long Cubs fan and Kyle Schwarber fan (Go Big Red) it will be nice to see him used to his fullest potential. Bless him. defense is not his strong suit.

AG74683

Cyburbian
There are sort of semi-logical reasons (if you squint really hard), as AG suggests (and what happened to his cousin and the kid at his high school sucks), but that sort of things happens to position players as well. And, pitchers can also get clobbered by line drives back up the middle (which happened to a Yankees pitcher a week or so ago). Do we need to allow them to pitch during games from behind a BP screen?

True. I guess position players always come with that risk though, and I think from a business standpoint, putting a pitcher in a situation where there's unnecessary risk probably isn't good.

I saw that line drive thing happen too. Actually, that's when I played little league with Madison Bumgarner. He was on first base, and our pitcher took a line drive right to the head. The ball ended up in the air and Madison caught it. I remember him asking "uh, so he's out right?". The pitcher ended up being okay. I seem to recall that he did get carted off the field by EMS though.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers are 1-0 after a 1-0 victory in Colorado. Future trivia question answers:
  • First Rangers hit at Globe Life Field: Danny Santana, a double in the sixth.
  • First Rangers RBI at Globe Life Field: Roughned Odor, a double in the sixth (two batters later).
Both pitching staffs three-hit the other side; the Rangers just happened to get two extra base hits in the same inning.

The third Ranger hit, by the way, was also for extra bases, a two-out triple by Isiah Kiner-Falefa in the seventh. It's noteworthy because the fence line of the new ballpark came into play. There is a lot of room outside the foul lines in the infield, but the fence abruptly juts out to within about 6 feet of the foul line in the outfield. Balls that bounce barely fair and go into foul territory can hit the fence at the transition and take crazy bounces. It happened to the Rocky's David Dahl in the fifth, turning a routine grounder into a double when the ball abruptly kicked in toward the center of the field. It happened again on Kiner-Falefa's triple; the ball actually kicked back and stayed in foul ground. I could see a speedster getting an inside the park homer if that happens with runners on base.

So the Rangers are still looking for their first single and first home run of the year.

Planit

Cyburbian
Looks like the Marlins have been hit hard - both on the field and by recent COVID19 testing.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Looks like the Marlins have been hit hard - both on the field and by recent COVID19 testing.

I'm getting the general impression that COVID protection protocols were largely left up to the team to decide what to do. Brewers players are allowed to go out to eat but must get take out OR sit outside. Mike Moustakas is now on the Reds injured list after "not feeling well" when he woke up this morning. Likely that he's on the COVID injured list.

The Crew sits at 1-2 right now. The Cubs pitching for their two wins in the series was pretty outrageous. The shut us out entirely in the first game. Our pitching has been a little suspect, as I sort of thought it would be. Freddy Peralta got lit up and pulled by the 4th inning.

AG74683

Cyburbian
First game of the season I wasn't able to watch, and the Brewers made it count. Down 5-1 going into the 9th inning, they managed to come back and win the game 6-5 in 11 innings. Absolutely insane comeback lead by a Ryan Braun double that resulted in 2 RBI's. Eric Sogard finished it off in the 11th with a double that grabbed the game winning run. Our pitching was solid early on, despite the runs (they came later).

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Braves DFA'd Mike Foltynewicz last night immediately after the end of a game where he was the starting pitcher...and they informed him while the game was still going that they were going to make that move. Brutal.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The Braves DFA'd Mike Foltynewicz last night immediately after the end of a game where he was the starting pitcher...and they informed him while the game was still going that they were going to make that move. Brutal.
Wow, did he screw up that badly?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Wow, did he screw up that badly?

He pitched well for three innings and then collapsed in the fourth before being pulled, but this isn't a single game thing. His velocity is noticeably down, and he's developed a tendency to fall apart in games after one or two bad pitches. The organization really wants him to clear waivers so they can work with him on both the physical and mental aspects of his game, but man did they handle it badly last night.

Planit

Cyburbian

The Marlins season has been "paused"

As of yesterday they had postponed their games through the weekend, but today with a couple more positives MLB decided to pause their upcoming games until ??? (not that they were a contender or such).

Bubba

Cyburbian

Folty cleared waivers and was outrighted to the "alternate training site" (or taxi squad, or whatever the correct term is for the minor league players available to the Braves this season). Hopefully he and the team get things figured out.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
The Phillies have now paused their season after a few tested positive for COVID19...this following the weekend series they had played against the Marlins.

Yikes!

Planit

Cyburbian
...and now several Cardinals players have tested positive.

Their series against the Brewers is postponed.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
BTW: STLToday reports at least 1 (not numerous) and only Friday game postponed.

I know this sucks, but this does not bode well for sports in general.
I'm starting to agree. I'm watching all these non-revenue leagues (FCS) call off fall sports entirely and meanwhile local HS are planning to compete. Umm, our local HS has better capacity to test, etc, than the freakin' Ivy League? Seriously?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
While I think baseball, like most sports, is stupid during the pandemic, the Cubs are doing pretty good. So, basically, now I'm conflicted.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Offered without comment:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Brewers are now at a .500 record. Offense is....ehhh. Defense and pitching has been legit though. Adrian Houser and Brandon Woodruff have both been amazing. Freddy Peralta has been good since he's moved to the pen rather than a starter.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Brewers/Reds will play a doubleheader today to make up for the game both teams opted to not play last night.

Adrian Houser vs. Sonny Gray is the match up for the 1st game. Gonna be a good one to be sure.

I'm playing fantasy baseball for the first time this year. My team is absolutely dominant. I've only lost 1 week, primarily because my team is made up of a lot of Brewers players and they ended up missing most of the games that week due to the Cardinals COVID tests coming back as positive. I lost a lot of points. I took a big gamble on Lucas Giolito from the White Sox, and boy has it paid off. He pitched the first no hitter of the season this week, coming in at 44 freaking points. Sonny Gray has also been dominant.

Planit

Cyburbian
1 week left of the season, then on to the playoffs!!!

5 teams per league will make the playoffs.

AL teams that have clinched: Tampa Bay, New York, Chicago, Minnesota, Oakland
NL teams that have clinched: Los Angeles, San Diego - the other 3 will probably be Atlanta, Miami & Chicago

Planit

Cyburbian
Playoffs begin tonight!!!

This years World Series will be played at Some Insurance Ballpark in Arlington, TX. The first time its been played in a single ballpark since 1944.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Rays lost Game 1 of the ALDS yesterday.

The Braves start the NLDS today (but at 2:00 pm so no way am I getting watching that).

Bubba

Cyburbian
Braves and Dodgers through to the NLCS. Do I get to check off a bucket-list type thing and see the Braves in a playoff game in person at Dodgers Stadium? Oh hell no - thanks, Covid! :cursing: