• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2020 NCAA Football Thread - special COVID19 edition

Planit

Cyburbian
The Ivy League is the first conference to suspend all Fall athletic programs. I'm gonna miss seeing Brown play Dartmouth.

tOSU & UNC have paused fall sports workouts.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My first thought is that there won't be a season despite most athletes being back on campus right now. But then the old adage "follow the money" kicks in. There is a TON of money to be made from college football being played and it's mostly from TV so even if spectators are extremely limited that doesn't really impact the schools nearly as much as the TV revenue. How is all gets worked out is up in the air but something will happen.

Planit

Cyburbian
Not football, but Stanford eliminated 11 or 36 varsity sports.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Ivy League is the first conference to suspend all Fall athletic programs. I'm gonna miss seeing Brown play Dartmouth.

tOSU & UNC have paused fall sports workouts.
Big Green fans were not thrilled when the league implemented "rivalry" games to end the season. Princeton was the typical season-ending game, and they had some absolute classics, with the Ivy League title on the line. How do I know this - being maybe furthest from an Ivy Leaguer? My brother actually writes a blog about Dartmouth football ...:cool:

Planit

Cyburbian
What do y'all think about moving the college football season to the spring? It's being discussed.

Bubba

Cyburbian
What do y'all think about moving the college football season to the spring? It's being discussed.
Way too much wear and tear on the players if they have something close to a full schedule in the spring and then come back and play a full schedule three or four months later in the fall.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I agree with Bubba. As a former college player I can tell you having a season in the spring and then again in fall (and prep begins in the summer) is just way too hard on a body. Plus there's the mental aspect of it. It's almost a full-time job anyway and to then try to condense two seasons into that short a time period is just asking for trouble.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Looks like the big10 cancelled all non-conference games this fall.
That is ok, there is only one game that matters... GO BLUE, BEAT OSU.

I really don't think that this season will be like anything any of us have ever seen. I cannot imagine they will have fans in the stands which makes me wonder if the performance of the teams will be less. The Big House has an advantage because of the crowd. You take that away, it is a hole in the ground.

DVD

Cyburbian
We get this
1594922420876.png

On the plus side, it is the oldest rivalry in college football. On the down side, ASU needs a few more wins to have the win record.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah no. Definitely not the oldest rivalry in college football. There are many others that are older. But it is the oldest rivalry trophy.

Planit

Cyburbian
Well here it is from the Bleacher Report (this time) & I'm not sure how or why:

NCAA Preseason Top 25

1. Ohio State
  2. Clemson
  3. Alabama
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Texas A&M
  6. LSU
  7. Georgia
  8. Notre Dame
  9. Oregon
  10. Penn State
  11. USC
  12. Texas
  13. Florida
  14. Wisconsin
  15. Michigan
  16. North Carolina
  17. Miami
  18. Virginia Tech
  19. Auburn
  20. Tennessee
  21. Kentucky
  22. UCF
  23. Iowa
  24. Oklahoma State
  25. Memphis

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I mean I don't think the Buckeye's have been the best team in the last couple years, but they sure were top 4. I don't see why rankings exist until week 6 anyway, but I will take a top billing.

Personally, I don't see how we can have any rankings this year if we aren't going to see teams actually play other teams in the country. This year probably just needs to be scrapped, or moved to the Spring if teams can't / won't play out of conference games.

Just an update. At the 11th hour, much is still undecided- to be decided this week.
Today's college football news via The New York Post
Monday August 10, 2020
"The college football season this fall is in serious jeopardy." -New York Post

A growing concern is the data coming in about the heart condition “myocarditis" that some Covid-19 patients get. Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart that "could have long-term complications for young, healthy people, should they contract the virus".

Approximate Timeline of Meetings & Decision-Making:

(Subject to future last-minute change at any time.)

Friday, 8/7: MAC becomes the first FBS conference to cancel its fall season.

Saturday, 8/8: Presidents from the Big Ten met to discuss increasing health concerns. "The Big Ten is moving toward postponing their fall season and wanted to see if the ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Pac-12 would join them, according to reports." (Notre Dame, set to join the ACC, likely included.)

The Big Ten presidents "are strongly leaning toward canceling the fall season and are close to making a decision, but not ready to make an announcement, according to Yahoo Sports."

Last night, Sunday 8/9: the commissioners of the Power 5 Conference met to discuss if the fall season could be played.

Also, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the AP that "no decisions have been made, but said the outlook has not improved." He cited the myocarditis data.

Today, Monday 8/10: ACC leaders have moved their meeting up to today, according to ESPN.

Tomorrow, 8/11: Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are expected to meet.

This week: Leaders of other FBS conferences are reportedly scheduled to meet.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The dominoes have started falling. There is not going to be a season this fall. And I think a spring football season is a pipe dream as well. You can't have a season (even one with somewhat fewer games) and then expect these kids to be ready to go again in 3 months. CFB is one of the things I take great enjoyment in so I'm really bummed out about probably waiting a year to see it again but I just don't see it happening any sooner.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The dominoes have started falling. There is not going to be a season this fall. And I think a spring football season is a pipe dream as well. You can't have a season (even one with somewhat fewer games) and then expect these kids to be ready to go again in 3 months. CFB is one of the things I take great enjoyment in so I'm really bummed out about probably waiting a year to see it again but I just don't see it happening any sooner.
I agree. The heart issues are just too unknown and I think the schools are unwilling to put their kids at risk (even if they are going to lose a lot of money). It brings me joy to know that they are doing it for what looks like the right reasons.

I am crushed though, as it was one of the few things I was really looking forward to this Fall. I actually was kind of excited about inter-league play only, as that was kind of old school.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^Even with that news, 2 of the 3 national rankings polls will put tosu as #1, because they don't know how else to do it.

Planit

Cyburbian
:tired:
The Ivy League has more National Championships than the SEC if that is the game we are playing.... :r:
Thats only because the Ivy League is much older than the SEC.

Thats okay. Thanks for playing.

:cool: :r: :cry:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
^^^Even with that news, 2 of the 3 national rankings polls will put tosu as #1, because they don't know how else to do it.
Probably because they actually play a real schedule each year... ;)

Also, Bubba that RedditCFB page is hilarious. I hadn't seen that.

From the page:

"If Michigan-Ohio State is not played this year, there will be more years since 2004 in which the NCAA does not acknowledge a game between them (2010, 2020) than Michigan wins (2011). "

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well now they are reporting that the B10 hasn't made a choice yet... and the driver of keeping a season is the SEC. Well that is surprising? ;)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I say get on with life and everything that goes with it. Covid is not going away and will always be around unless a vaccine can be developed, which will take years, if it ever happens. The only other option is to quarantine everybody for at least a month and I mean everybody. That is not happening. People think that if we wear masks it will all be better in a month or two, that is not happening either. It will not eliminate the virus, only slow the spread. Then when the numbers are low society will open back up and then spread starts all over. If you are sick, with anything, and need to go out, mask up. Asian countries (Japan in my experience) have been doin this for years. Just kicking the bucket down the road with all the precautions - have I already said it is not going away? When is the right time to open everything back up to normal levels?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Nevermind. B1G is out until the Spring.

Let's see if other dominos fall....

Planit

Cyburbian
As of now, just 89 of 130 FBS schools are moving forward with a fall football season.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
As of now, just 89 of 130 FBS schools are moving forward with a fall football season.
PAC12 will be out. I think the SEC and ACC are led by more, let's say "flexible" leadership, so they might still play. It seems odd though to want to play, if you are just playing a couple teams, most of which are terrible, knowing full well, you aren't the best team in the country, or won't be considered it.

Without all teams in the Big 5, it makes no sense. Although there is a lot of bluster, I don't see the SEC and ACC, or AAC moving forward. Maybe they do though, and we can watch Vandy v. Alabama!!

PS. Which may come off as sarcastic, but at this point I would take it, as I do enjoy football...

Bubba

Cyburbian
Nevermind. B1G is out until the Spring.

Let's see if other dominos fall....
ESPN turned the daily NFL Live show today over to their College Gameday crew, who did a pretty good job of eviscerating the Big TenElevenTwelve over the idea of playing a full schedule in the spring (not over the decision to not play in the fall in and of itself). Basically it was "if you plan on playing a full or close-to-full schedule in the spring followed by the normal 2021 regular season in the fall, do not pretend you are concerned in the least with player safety when you expect these young men to play 18 to 24 games in one calendar year."

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I agree with that. Spring is not going to work. It hurts but hopefully fall 2021 is back to normal.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
ESPN turned the daily NFL Live show today over to their College Gameday crew, who did a pretty good job of eviscerating the Big TenElevenTwelve over the idea of playing a full schedule in the spring (not over the decision to not play in the fall in and of itself). Basically it was "if you plan on playing a full or close-to-full schedule in the spring followed by the normal 2021 regular season in the fall, do not pretend you are concerned in the least with player safety when you expect these young men to play 18 to 24 games in one calendar year."
Why would anyone play in the Spring? I mean your high profile players are going to be getting ready for the draft and to get paid in the fall. They will all just skip it. If I wanted to watch pointless, low talent football I would have turned on the MAC. Let's just wait until Fall and get everyone back to full go...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Why would anyone play in the Spring? I mean your high profile players are going to be getting ready for the draft and to get paid in the fall. They will all just skip it. If I wanted to watch pointless, low talent football I would have turned on the MAC. Let's just wait until Fall and get everyone back to full go...
I 100% agree with you about Spring ball. The factors you mentioned plus just turning around a few months later and playing a regular Fall season is not at all ideal from a physical standpoint. But I strongly disagree with your assessment of non-Power 5 schools as "low talent". That's simply not the case. Your feelings about smaller conferences even playing at the FBS level are well known. But that's not the argument here. Is the talent as deep? No, of course not. But to suggest there is no talent is intellectually dishonest. Coaching and facilities at all levels is better and better all the time. You act like a kid who isn't recruited by OSU can't compete and that's simply not true. I don't believe you really think that but that's how you come across. Hell, I played D-III ball with a guy who went on to be an NFL Pro-Bowler for several seasons and is the 54th all time rusher in the NFL. So stop with the nonsense that talent does not exist outside of the Power 5.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So stop with the nonsense that talent does not exist outside of the Power 5.
Oh come on. A fraction of D2 or D3 players make the NFL. The MAC is a joke. The idea that this is some sort of revelation is silly. I have no issue with schools wanting to field a football team. Just stop bankrupting your entire athletic budget to do it. If you have to pay schools to actually stay afloat (or in most cases, still go WAY under), your team is probably meant for D2 or D3. I promise you that I am not downplaying the outliers, as the MAC and Sun Belt and D2 and D3 have them. There are some players that are more talented than players that are on a D1 roster, I get that. Individual talent is one thing, football team talent is another.

The MAC is a low talent football league. They, as a whole, do not field teams with lots of talent. If that isn't true, please note the years that the MAC has had more than let's say 2 teams in the top 25 of the rankings. Sure, they have a Northern Illinois or Toledo or Bowling Green or Ball State get lucky for a season. But this isn't like it is some crazy talk, that they are not consistently relevant.

No kid that is ranked by 247 or any other recruiting service would pick a MAC school over a Big 10 school or SEC school. It is silly to try and compare the overall skill. Again I am not attacking the individual players. There are outliers. But they certainly are outliers. Let me look at the Top 100 players in 2020... yep, not one didn't go to a Power 5 school. (although after review some did go to Michigan... so.... ;))

I think the expansion of football for all schools has only done what you would expect it to do, dilute the skill. The MAC and Sun Belt and other lower talent leagues are just there for the ride. This is clearly defined by the jumps schools make once they are able to get the skilled players, year after year. They don't stay in these leagues do they? They move to a Power 5 conference.

Look, I am not attacking you, as it seems like you thought I was. I am attacking the expansion of football (and the EXORBITANT cost on universities) for little to no gain. If your argument is that these lower talent kids deserve to live out their dream playing college football, I would say the same about the kids who swim, who wrestle, who run, and who likely are more talented in their sport than those kids at football, but don't get a chance.

If you are not good enough to make the Power 5 in football, you still should get to follow your dream, but you shouldn't be subsidized anymore than the kid who wants to be a fencer. Schools are the problem and their continued financially ruinous charge to be relevant in football. Not the dreamers who want to make the NFL.

For context:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I didn't think you were attacking me; we're good. I just have a different take on things. I get your point about the cost but with the revenue sharing that is in place even those schools that suck reap benefits that allow a lot of other kids in non-revenue sports to be able to compete.

I just did some real quick research and the data I found is about 6 years old now but at that time 26% of drafted players in the NFL were from non-Power 5 schools. That's not an insignificant number. All I'm really saying is that talent is everywhere. You should have seen it in the old days, it was much, much worse. The 85 player scholarship limit has had a lot to do with that. There are simply more "good" players than there used to be. Coaching from youth on up is better than ever and training is obviously better. There are only so many slots at a Power 5 school so kids with talent are going to other schools more than they ever have.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I didn't think you were attacking me; we're good. I just have a different take on things. I get your point about the cost but with the revenue sharing that is in place even those schools that suck reap benefits that allow a lot of other kids in non-revenue sports to be able to compete.

I just did some real quick research and the data I found is about 6 years old now but at that time 26% of drafted players in the NFL were from non-Power 5 schools. That's not an insignificant number. All I'm really saying is that talent is everywhere. You should have seen it in the old days, it was much, much worse. The 85 player scholarship limit has had a lot to do with that. There are simply more "good" players than there used to be. Coaching from youth on up is better than ever and training is obviously better. There are only so many slots at a Power 5 school so kids with talent are going to other schools more than they ever have.
Understood (I enjoy having a solid discussion without attacking each other). My frustration stems from seeing schools plow A LOT of money into football, when clearly they have no pathway forward with being successful. It is a real problem and I sadly have lots of data showing how poor of an investment college football is as a "revenue" generating sport. Being in the B1G gets you shared money for your athletic department, it isn't earmarked for football, even though that is clearly the largest generator. The B1G is again an exception, not the rule.

In the MAC though, revenue sharing is all but a joke, as the money that is "shared" doesn't cover the costs that the schools are spending to try and keep up the football team, let alone other sports. A football team costs on a scale of 50x more than a swimming team to have, and the swimming team doesn't require the same expenses annually (namely travel budgets, number of coaches, additional facilities, etc.). Subsidizing the swimming team would cost a lot less to most schools than subsidizing a football team. Yet, they still do it. The idea that the majority of "non-revenue" sports are benefiting is just fancy accounting as football is only revenue generating if you ignore all the subsidization and infrastructure costs associated with it.

I went to college and was a college athlete (at three sports!) at a D1 school for a "non-revenue" generating sport (hence my clear bias). My scholarship and those of my teammates along with our coaching staff and travel budget cost the university around $300,000-$400,000 per year. Our football team lost (after "making" $1.2 million) over $3 million per year which also included a student fee to cover their costs. The problem I have is that we talk like these football teams are needed to allow these other sports to compete. We don't. We would actually have more Olympic sports if football wasn't wasting all the money.

Football is at the point where there are winners and losers. We have to accept that if you aren't good enough, you are going to be a loser in this new world. Football would be more fun to watch and would create more talent (as the coaches are better in the big schools) if there were less teams to choose from. Although I am sure it is impossible to know, I am sure that some of those 26% picked that non-power school for location, or because their dad went there, or some other reason that is beyond the team being good. I also am sure some of those 26% pick those schools because they weren't good enough out of high school, but became good enough. Or had a legal issue that those schools were willing to overlook, that some of the other schools wouldn't. Or didn't have the GPA. Or a slew of other reasons that allow for people to live their lives the way they want and still move forward. My issue, and I feel like I'm just belaboring the point WAY too much (sorry) is that we are prioritizing football over all other sports for no other reason than we want to. It isn't about making money, it is about some odd need for "donors" or "sponsorship" or some other way to say that they won't make money if they don't have football. The data doesn't support that for most universities though.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^Hell they even ranked Kentucky football in the top 20 :oops:. That's ...like ...I'm speechless.

:eek:A tragedy like this is why those officials wanted to cancel fall college football...
20-year-old Cal U football player Jamain Stephens Junior just died of COVID-19 complications.

BTW, he was the son of former Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals Offensive Lineman, Jamain Stephens Senior.

Planit

Cyburbian
College Football begins play!

In recognition of this, I was looking at different schedules & I found tosu's football schedule before it decided not to play. Besides the conference games, other teams on the schedule were:
Mt. St. Joseph Uni,
Uni of Mount Union,
Otterbein Uni,
Denison Uni,
Kenyon College.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

In recognition of this, I was looking at different schedules & I found tosu's football schedule before it decided not to play. Besides the conference games, other teams on the schedule were:
Mt. St. Joseph Uni,
Uni of Mount Union,
Otterbein Uni,
Denison Uni,
Kenyon College.
That is totally real. I mean why wouldn't we only play small liberal arts schools during COVID, like the SEC schedules every year ? ;)

I think the SEC schedule only goes until Oct 1, right? Because all the players will have COVID and they will have to close down all their schools to quarantine? :roflmao:

I wish I could get more worked up about this stuff... I miss football... I can't even make fun of the sad SEC like I should be able to.

ps. I am just joking and hope all the players stay safe and healthy. I certainly don't hope they get COVID.

Bubba

Cyburbian

Mt. St. Joseph Uni,
Uni of Mount Union,
Otterbein Uni,
Denison Uni,
Kenyon College.
OSU is stepping up to take on Mount Union? Respect. Going from memory, Mount Union has twice the number of national championships and four times as many championship game appearances in the past six seasons as OSU.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
OSU is stepping up to take on Mount Union? Respect. Going from memory, Mount Union has twice the number of national championships and four times as many championship game appearances in the past six seasons as OSU (and every other schools on Earth).
Just making sure we all understanding that Mount Union is good... ;)