• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2020 NCAA Football Thread - special COVID19 edition

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^Glad you caught that at least one of the cupcakes had to be a respected team...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In watching a bit of College football on Saturday (Duke at ND), one of the commentators indicated that there is a 'chance' that the big 10 might join the season late. One one hand, it would be great to see some Michigan football, but I can't imagine that any of them would be able to make the payoffs. It would help some players towards draft eligibility, but I wonder if a short season would work against some of them.

In the end, the only game that matters is the last game of the regular season.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
In watching a bit of College football on Saturday (Duke at ND), one of the commentators indicated that there is a 'chance' that the big 10 might join the season late. One one hand, it would be great to see some Michigan football, but I can't imagine that any of them would be able to make the payoffs. It would help some players towards draft eligibility, but I wonder if a short season would work against some of them.

In the end, the only game that matters is the last game of the regular season.
Do you really hate Northwestern that much? Because in the initial 10 game schedule that was released in August that's who UM was playing the last game of the season.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Do you really hate Northwestern that much? Because in the initial 10 game schedule that was released in August that's who UM was playing the last game of the season.
What? I thought it was Michigan Wolverines vs those Ohio Nuts.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yea, not sure I agree with the idea that the Big10 is back. I mean the SEC is showing how it shouldn't be done. Ed Odgeron stated that he thought most of his team has had COVID, and hopes they don't get it again or miss games. Which is terrifying that he is more interested in playing than player safety (just looking at his flippant comments). If that is what we can expect than I am scared for those kids.

I am very excited to watch some games... I just have serious concerns about the safety of the players. Looking at the college campus environment and the failure of most schools, it doesn't seems like the brightest idea. But financially I totally understand why they are doing it, as athletic departments are defunding sports left and right. There is no right answer at this point, I think that much is clear...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yea, not sure I agree with the idea that the Big10 is back. I mean the SEC is showing how it shouldn't be done. Ed Odgeron stated that he thought most of his team has had COVID, and hopes they don't get it again or miss games. Which is terrifying that he is more interested in playing than player safety (just looking at his flippant comments). If that is what we can expect than I am scared for those kids.

I am very excited to watch some games... I just have serious concerns about the safety of the players. Looking at the college campus environment and the failure of most schools, it doesn't seems like the brightest idea. But financially I totally understand why they are doing it, as athletic departments are defunding sports left and right. There is no right answer at this point, I think that much is clear...
I agree and I think you bring up a great point regarding the SEC. I think it could be done safely, but I am not sold on the idea that it will be done safely.

Veloise

Cyburbian

I did not know that both of our in-state Big Ten presidents are scientists with training in epidemiology. :mi: