• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sports 🥌 2020 NCAA Football Thread - special COVID19 edition

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In watching a bit of College football on Saturday (Duke at ND), one of the commentators indicated that there is a 'chance' that the big 10 might join the season late. One one hand, it would be great to see some Michigan football, but I can't imagine that any of them would be able to make the payoffs. It would help some players towards draft eligibility, but I wonder if a short season would work against some of them.

In the end, the only game that matters is the last game of the regular season.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
In watching a bit of College football on Saturday (Duke at ND), one of the commentators indicated that there is a 'chance' that the big 10 might join the season late. One one hand, it would be great to see some Michigan football, but I can't imagine that any of them would be able to make the payoffs. It would help some players towards draft eligibility, but I wonder if a short season would work against some of them.

In the end, the only game that matters is the last game of the regular season.

Do you really hate Northwestern that much? Because in the initial 10 game schedule that was released in August that's who UM was playing the last game of the season.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yea, not sure I agree with the idea that the Big10 is back. I mean the SEC is showing how it shouldn't be done. Ed Odgeron stated that he thought most of his team has had COVID, and hopes they don't get it again or miss games. Which is terrifying that he is more interested in playing than player safety (just looking at his flippant comments). If that is what we can expect than I am scared for those kids.

I am very excited to watch some games... I just have serious concerns about the safety of the players. Looking at the college campus environment and the failure of most schools, it doesn't seems like the brightest idea. But financially I totally understand why they are doing it, as athletic departments are defunding sports left and right. There is no right answer at this point, I think that much is clear...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yea, not sure I agree with the idea that the Big10 is back. I mean the SEC is showing how it shouldn't be done. Ed Odgeron stated that he thought most of his team has had COVID, and hopes they don't get it again or miss games. Which is terrifying that he is more interested in playing than player safety (just looking at his flippant comments). If that is what we can expect than I am scared for those kids.

I am very excited to watch some games... I just have serious concerns about the safety of the players. Looking at the college campus environment and the failure of most schools, it doesn't seems like the brightest idea. But financially I totally understand why they are doing it, as athletic departments are defunding sports left and right. There is no right answer at this point, I think that much is clear...

I agree and I think you bring up a great point regarding the SEC. I think it could be done safely, but I am not sold on the idea that it will be done safely.

Veloise

Cyburbian

I did not know that both of our in-state Big Ten presidents are scientists with training in epidemiology. :mi:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The defending national champs hold their opponent to 9 net yards rushing and create 4 turnovers. But they still gave up 44 points and 623 passing yards and lost. Aye carumba.

Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin in the same conference. This will be fun while it lasts

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The defending national champs hold their opponent to 9 net yards rushing and create 4 turnovers. But they still gave up 44 points and 623 passing yards and lost. Aye carumba.

Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin in the same conference. This will be fun while it lasts
LSU looked pretty bad. They clearly are missing their potent offense. Their defense couldn't figure out crossing patterns either. I mean MSU just took the air raid and LSU couldn't figure it out...

Bubba

Cyburbian

Mike Leach is a national treasure.

Planit

Cyburbian
My brother (FSU alum) texted me and asked if I was watching the FSU - Miami game. We were eating out and told him no but was going to turn it on when we got home - probably about half time. He then told me the score and I replied than I guess I'd watch the Stanley Cup Final instead.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The rankings are interesting right now. Outside of Clemson and Alabama everybody else has been pretty "meh" to me. The BIG schools are now ranked again but how do you compare teams that haven't played a single down with ones that have played 2 or 3? Florida at #3? They gave up over 600 yards of offense and 29 first downs to freaking Ole Miss. And that game was a lot closer statistically than the final score. But really, who else would you put there? I'd probably put Miami there right now just based upon what they've done so far. Auburn didn't look that great but again, it was their first game. I don't ever remember two teams dropping as far in one week as Oklahoma and LSU both did. Craziness I tell you.

Bubba

Cyburbian
UGA playing Auburn this early in the season is just weird.

58249aff377c0.image.jpg

Veloise

Cyburbian
Last year ... more euphoniums present than any other year I played Homecoming. It was truly a joy to be surrounded by that glorious tone in such abundance.

2019 1.jpg euphs 2019 2.jpg

Only nine of us the year I was in the band.

1974 euphs.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
Florida Gators pauses football activities after 19 players & coaches have positive tests after returning from Texas A&M game.

Well crap.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wisconsin won't be playing this weekend & won't make the Nebraska game up.

Gators haven't played in 2 weeks.

This just continues a very odd month/season/year

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It's kinda fun watching college football but it's one sport that really needs fans. The NFL is a business and I think it's ok without fans. But a college football is a whole event and without bands and cheerleaders and tailgating and fans etc. it just feels so weird.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Congratulations to Coach Mel Tucker and his Michigan State Spartans on beating the University of Michigan (checks notes) in Ann Arbor (checks notes again) when they were a three touchdown underdog. :cool:

UGA won ugly over Kentucky on Saturday - as I was yelling at the television towards the end of it, Mrs. Bubba asked me "why do you watch things that make you so miserable?" Well, I'm also a lifelong Atlanta Falcons fan, so...

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I mean it would be easy to kick Michigan, since they are always down, but I mean who at Michigan wants Harbaugh? Seriously, this dude is terrible at coaching. At $8m/year they should be able to get anyone they want. Maybe Luke Fickell or I don't know, ANYONE else?

Also, this is where Michigan fans would be laughing at Ohio State if this happened to us. Just note that I was nice about it. Also, Ohio State is good this year.... again.

Edit:
I guess the AD does...

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I don't understand how teams that have played 0, 1, or 2 games can be ranked.
The same way they rank teams at the beginning of the season, by "feel", "pedigree", and "Alabama".:roflmao::p

MD Planner

Cyburbian
There are three elite teams: Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State. After that there are a handful of teams that could make it into the playoff. Cincinnati will probably run the table and won't get a shot. But I hope they do if they go undefeated. Hopefully even a Clemson team with Lawrence can still beat Notre Dame by a couple scores so we can stop with that talk.

If I was voting right now OSU would be #1. They are impressive. Fields is putting his throws in the right spot almost every single attempt.

Planit

Cyburbian
How 'bout dem GATORS!

also

Clemson lost without the star QB in 2 overtimes.

That's about all I can remember from Saturday's games.

Bubba

Cyburbian
How 'bout dem GATORS!

I'm weirdly at peace with that loss, factoring in 2020 and the Dawgs playing scout team walk-ons on the D-line and cheerleaders in the secondary with all of the injuries over the past two weeks.

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm weirdly at peace with that loss, factoring in 2020 and the Dawgs playing scout team walk-ons on the D-line and cheerleaders in the secondary with all of the injuries over the past two weeks.
C'mon. You had to be really excited after the first 5-10 minutes of play.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^The game kinda reminded me of the Gators National Championship win against tosu after Ted Ginn Jr. ran the kickoff back for the 'nuts.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
INDIANA BEAT michigan

Indiana is 3-0 & is ranked in the Top 10.

Utah State fired coach after 0-3 start

Planit

Cyburbian
Kyle Trask is showing what a Heisman candidate should be (& that's without his star receiver playing).

Bubba

Cyburbian
Coach Boom out at South Carolina, Hugh Freeze currently the hot rumor as the main target to replace him. Liberty has apparently given Freeze enough of a contract extension to make the buyout a factor, though...

Planit

Cyburbian
There is some discussion about expanding the playoffs from 4 to 8 teams, particularly from this odd year. What are your thoughts? Of course I'm in favor because the Gators would be in, but I'm biased like that.

Where does your team get ranked in this weeks poll (USAToday)?

1606762296329.png

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There is some discussion about expanding the playoffs from 4 to 8 teams, particularly from this odd year. What are your thoughts? Of course I'm in favor because the Gators would be in, but I'm biased like that.

Where does your team get ranked in this weeks poll (USAToday)?

View attachment 49765
As someone who thinks the MAC is totally worth having football, I think you should expand it to the top 110 teams, so EVERYONE has a chance, regardless of their ability, talent, or skill. Just give them all money!!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
^^^That's what the Bowls are for.
No, the bowls are only for teams above .500. Which I have always found unfair. Why shouldn't a 2-9 team be allowed to compete with another 2-9 team for dominance of the MAC on New Year's Day? I mean I am sure there are 5 people who would watch... which is all that it is about.

Alright, fine.... maybe we should just let the top couple teams play.... fair enough. ;)