• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sports 🥌 2020 NCAA Football Thread - special COVID19 edition

Planit

Cyburbian
Remember in the preseason poll when Kentucky was ranked 21?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Remember in the preseason when PSU was 8th?

Jeezus. :oops: :r:

But at least they beat Michigan. Honestly though, this whole season is just so weird. There should be a huge asterisk next to it.

Planit

Cyburbian
What's the over/under on Michigan calling off the game with tosu this weekend due to COVID concerns?

Impact? Well for Michigan, they will probably not win anyway (sorry mskis) & tosu will be denied going to the big10/11/12 championship game because too few games played (sorry hink). Michigan sees themselves as a spoiler.

Gators still have to play LSU this coming weekend, but they are already in the SEC Championship game against 'bama. If Florida wins out, they'll break into the top 4 for the playoffs I think.

ACC championship game looks like a ND v Clemson rematch, but this time with Clemson's star QB. Another top 4 mix up opportunity (or not some say since both teams would have one lost against each other).

Big12 has Iowa State going to the championship game for the first time in ... a very long, long time.

Pac12 undefeated Washington got beat by Stanford, which changes the potential Pac12 championship game.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What's the over/under on Michigan calling off the game with tosu this weekend due to COVID concerns?

Impact? Well for Michigan, they will probably not win anyway (sorry mskis) & tosu will be denied going to the big10/11/12 championship game because too few games played (sorry hink). Michigan sees themselves as a spoiler.
I think that the Big10 will change the rules and let Ohio State in... I mean they have no one else. With that said, the fact that we are still seeing football games is pretty amazing. I mean Ohio State played without 23 players... that seems... I don't know... stupid?

We should just call it a year and put the huge asterisk on the season. I love Ohio State, but even I don't really think it is fair for them to make the Playoff with only 5 games played. That is just stupid.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Money is driving the train. Pure and simple. The piece on 60 Minutes last night was quite interesting.

I love college football a lot. But I think I'm with Hink. Just put a big asterisk on this season and don't even crown a champ. Let the teams that are able to play the rest of their remaining games and then assign bowl games purely as exhibition. Which they really are anyway. Get some good matchups scheduled and say that's it, no champ this year.

The idea that a champ is crowned out of this shitshow is pretty crazy. Many teams had no spring practice, yet some did. That's huge. Teams had new coaches and never a chance to get on the field with their teams until right before the season. Great players opted out for fear of contracting COVID and jeopardizing a pro career. (Which I totally get). It was just so far beyond a "normal" season and it was different for so many teams. But of course there is no way there won't be a "champion". The playoff generates way too much money.

Anybody else see the Knight Commission's recommendation that came out last Thursday? They said the FBS schools should split from the NCAA and govern themselves. Probably has some merit.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Money is driving the train. Pure and simple. The piece on 60 Minutes last night was quite interesting.

I love college football a lot. But I think I'm with Hink. Just put a big asterisk on this season and don't even crown a champ. Let the teams that are able to play the rest of their remaining games and then assign bowl games purely as exhibition. Which they really are anyway. Get some good matchups scheduled and say that's it, no champ this year.

The idea that a champ is crowned out of this shitshow is pretty crazy. Many teams had no spring practice, yet some did. That's huge. Teams had new coaches and never a chance to get on the field with their teams until right before the season. Great players opted out for fear of contracting COVID and jeopardizing a pro career. (Which I totally get). It was just so far beyond a "normal" season and it was different for so many teams. But of course there is no way there won't be a "champion". The playoff generates way too much money.

Anybody else see the Knight Commission's recommendation that came out last Thursday? They said the FBS schools should split from the NCAA and govern themselves. Probably has some merit.
I couldn't agree more, with pretty much everything above.

Yea the Knight Commission said that FBS football should be separate, but the truth is if that happened, it would only be the big 5 conferences. Even then, it likely would be a select group. Can you imagine if they got rid of the crappy non-conference games, and made them all play quality schedules every year. So instead of 3-5 games a year, they played 5-7 actual games a year? If they removed conferences in those top schools and just had a free for all, it would be even better. Let Vandy play Northwestern. Let Alabama play Clemson. I like it. Also, pay those players.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Coach Allen is a winner, for sure. It's nice to watch IU football and not have them break my heart for once.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
"The Game" is now officially canceled due to too many cases within the Michigan program. It will be fun watching Alvarez walk back the criteria that was established for the BIG championship game.

All this does is underscore my point from yesterday, there shouldn't even be a champion crowned this year. Play some games if it's relatively safe to do so and call it good. What a mess.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
"The Game" is now officially canceled due to too many cases within the Michigan program. It will be fun watching Alvarez walk back the criteria that was established for the BIG championship game.

All this does is underscore my point from yesterday, there shouldn't even be a champion crowned this year. Play some games if it's relatively safe to do so and call it good. What a mess.
Exactly. Call the season and we can all look forward to 2021...

Planit

Cyburbian

The Game!

Yes, it certainly is 'a game'

I'd love to see Indiana v Northwestern for the conference championship. However, the powers-at-be won't take tosu out of the playoff mix just because of this IMHO.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The Game!

Yes, it certainly is 'a game'

I'd love to see Indiana v Northwestern for the conference championship. However, the powers-at-be won't take tosu out of the playoff mix just because of this IMHO.
It is "The Game" because it used to be a rivalry that mattered. Now it is just a game at the end of the season that Ohio State wins... ;)

Not having Ohio State play in the conference championship seems stupid, since they are clearly the best team in the Big10. Indiana had the best game they have ever played and they lost to Ohio State. If it was Ohio State v. Indiana II, like some are suggesting this weekend, I would predict Ohio State would win by 21 since Indiana doesn't have Penix.

With that said, I think this season is stupid for putting these teams in this position. I don't blame Michigan for doing what they felt was right to keep their players safe. I don't blame Minnesota or Maryland or any other team who had to call off a game.

Honestly, I think Ohio State probably should have called the Michigan State game when 23 players weren't going to travel with the team...

I just don't know what the solution is at this point. There are no longer apples to apples as some teams play 5 games and some teams play 9 games.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^agreed hink.

When I said 'a game' I meant the politics and back door discussions that changes a rule at the end of a scenario.

I think The Game is a great rivalry and tradition - just like Florida v Georgia. Every conference should have 1 or 2 of these. Its good for college football.

Planit

Cyburbian
Cancelled Bowl games for 2020 - I'm so going to miss the Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl!

• New Era Pinstripe Bowl
  • Fenway Bowl
  • San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
  • Bahamas Bowl
  • Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl
  • Hawai'i Bowl
  • LA Bowl
  • Las Vegas Bowl
  • Redbox Bowl
  • Sun Bowl
  • Quick Lane Bowl
  • Celebration Bowl
  • Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl

TOFB

Cyburbian
I told my wife I was thinking about going to my brother's house to watch the B12 Championship game and then she reminded me there is a pandemic going on. I had forgotten that for like a half hour.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I woke up and all of a sudden I realized we are playing for the B12 Championship today. Unreal.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So the top 4 are pretty much what everyone expected.

Alabama v. ND should be a cakewalk for Alabama.

Clemson v. Ohio State should be a cakewalk for Clemson (which kills me).

Clemson v. Alabama yet again.... yawn.

Bubba

Cyburbian
So the top 4 are pretty much what everyone expected.

Alabama v. ND should be a cakewalk for Alabama.

Clemson v. Ohio State should be a cakewalk for Clemson (which kills me).

Clemson v. Alabama yet again.... yawn.

The playoff committee should have just paired Bama with Clemson in the championship game and told everyone else to eff off. Or, expanded the field to eight teams and give the schools that are getting hot at the end of the season a chance. Or...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The playoff shouldn't even be happening this year but whatever. That said, since it is happening I hope Notre Dame gets absolutely throttled. You just can't get waxed like they did on Saturday and then say you belong in the playoff. That same scenario with the team names reversed does not have the same conclusion I'll guarantee you that.

Planit

Cyburbian
I think AG is happy today (& possibly hungover)

I'm glad Army (@ 9-2) got into a bowl game. They weren't originally picked, but Tennessee backed out of the Liberty Bowl. They deserve a bowl game much more than a 4-5 North Texas team.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Only six D1 schools have ever won a playoff game:

Bama
Clemson
Georgia
LSU
Ohio State
Oregon

That’s (not at all coincidentally) the top 6 recruiting classes for 2021...

Planit

Cyburbian
& now South Carolina pulled out of Saturday’s Gasparilla Bowl.

Probably didn’t want to her beat by UAB

edit-game cancelled.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I'm not sure why we are still moving forward with the bowl games at this point. January is going to be really ugly, especially if these kids go home for Christmas. How much fun is it to see a team without 25 players who are integral to their team, lose to a team with all their players? I mean Clemson lost their only game because they didn't have a certain player. Kinda tells you about whether these things are worth it or not.

So if we make it to these bowl games and Etienne is now out due to COVID, is that fair to Clemson? I mean what are we really showcasing? Money sure it worth it...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'm not sure why we are still moving forward with the bowl games at this point. January is going to be really ugly, especially if these kids go home for Christmas. How much fun is it to see a team without 25 players who are integral to their team, lose to a team with all their players? I mean Clemson lost their only game because they didn't have a certain player. Kinda tells you about whether these things are worth it or not.

So if we make it to these bowl games and Etienne is now out due to COVID, is that fair to Clemson? I mean what are we really showcasing? Money sure it worth it...
Money makes the wold go around, the world go around. The whole wide world

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Pretty sure all of the bowl teams are NOT going home for Christmas. That's a big reason why so many teams declined bowl consideration. Keep away from family, travel to a bowl destination where you can't do any of the fun stuff that usually accompanies a bowl game. They decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Planit

Cyburbian
Florida's top 4 wide receivers are out of the Cotton Bowl game with COVID, & TE Pitts has opted out. QB Trask should opt out too & just let the next generation play this one.

bureaucrat#3

The fourth SEC bowl game has been cancelled now. With at least 3 more days to go for the rest, I'm sure there will be at least a couple more.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Cincy... err Georgia! Bubba I would guess you are pretty excited about that game.

ND shouldn't have been considered. I am not sure who would have actually given Alabama any competition though. Maybe Cincinnati, but they couldn't finish out their game. Texas A&M already got killed by them. This year is just weird, as their are only really a couple good teams and it looks like it is really just Alabama, because Clemson isn't good. I want to say Ohio State was just that good, but I really don't think Clemson was very good. I mean ND made them look amazing, but Alabama made it pretty clear that ND was terrible.

My quick notes on the game - Yes it was clearly targeting. It is the second time that dude has been ejected, I hope Clemson starts teaching these kids better, that could cost him his ability to walk. In my head the final T.L. pass to the endzone was a touchdown, not an interception. These "football moves" and whatever, still don't make sense to me. The dude had the ball in his hands with his feet down. How is that different from a RB diving across the line and only the tip of the ball has to cross it with possession?

I still am picking Alabama... but man Ohio State looked good. It is bittersweet, as I am excited for the National Championship game, but also still think this is a throwaway season.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Cincy... err Georgia! Bubba I would guess you are pretty excited about that game.

ND shouldn't have been considered. I am not sure who would have actually given Alabama any competition though. Maybe Cincinnati, but they couldn't finish out their game. Texas A&M already got killed by them. This year is just weird, as their are only really a couple good teams and it looks like it is really just Alabama, because Clemson isn't good. I want to say Ohio State was just that good, but I really don't think Clemson was very good. I mean ND made them look amazing, but Alabama made it pretty clear that ND was terrible.

My quick notes on the game - Yes it was clearly targeting. It is the second time that dude has been ejected, I hope Clemson starts teaching these kids better, that could cost him his ability to walk. In my head the final T.L. pass to the endzone was a touchdown, not an interception. These "football moves" and whatever, still don't make sense to me. The dude had the ball in his hands with his feet down. How is that different from a RB diving across the line and only the tip of the ball has to cross it with possession?

I still am picking Alabama... but man Ohio State looked good. It is bittersweet, as I am excited for the National Championship game, but also still think this is a throwaway season.

It's a win - I'll take it. Fun fact from this season - UGA's first and last points of the season were recorded via safeties.

Props to tOSU for beating the ever-living crap out of Clemson, even if the Big TenElevenTwelve felt the need to cheat to get them to the game...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Like Hink and I have both said earlier, this year shouldn't really even have a playoff but money talks. But getting to the games, OSU beating Clemson didn't surprise me that much. I didn't think it would be the rout it was, and it was a rout but if OSU had all or most of their players I figured it would be a game. Their DL dominated and games are won at scrimmage. It's really that simple. They can absolutely beat Alabama. The over/under is 75.5. If I was a betting man I'd take the over.

I used to think Mike Leach was amusing. After the latest brawl with him team and his reaction I think he's on another planet.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So that ended exactly how most of us thought it would. Alabama is clearly the best team this year, no question. They may be the best team ever. It turns out having the best QB, RB, and WR helps.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Before the playoffs started my opinion was the powers that be should’ve put Bama and Clemson directly into the title game for this season. Now I’m thinking the four team playoff field should’ve been Bama/UGA/UF/TAMU.

In all fairness to tOSU, they a) beat the hell outta Clemson, and b) were not at full strength last night.