• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Sports 🥌 2021 College Football thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
With apologies to @Planit if he already started a thread on the upcoming season...

SEC Media Days generally mark the unofficial start of the college football season (this week is apparently also ACC Media Days, but no one cares about that). This year's edition of the various media days brings speculation that Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC about joining, which would kick off the inevitable move towards four 16-team "super conferences" for D-1 football if true.

aab2c4d42610f59148a00cbc5479e654.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Let's see the current pre-season AP Poll:

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Texas A&M
5. Notre Dame
6. Oklahoma
7. Georgia
8. Cincinnati
9. Iowa St.
10. Northwestern
11. BYU
12. Indiana
13. Florida
14. Coastal Carolina
15. Louisiana
16. Iowa
17. Liberty
18. North Carolina
19. Texas
20. Oklahoma St.
21. USC
22. Miami (Florida)
23. Ball State
24. San Jose St.
25. Buffalo

Some initial comments from this fan who does little more than tune in on Saturday afternoons:

• Okay Ohio State (blah) can be #2 but the next highest ranked Big Ten Eleven Twelve Big ∞ teams are Northwestern, followed by Indiana? No Michigan, MSU, or Wisconsin?
  • The Ragin' Cajuns made the top 25 but not LSU?
  • Ball State at #23? I know some planner who will probably love that!
  • Buffalo at #25? Now that they've got an MLB team, Buffalo thinks they're becoming a real sports town!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Eh. the AP is the last place to look at rankings. They're so focused on last year's results which have to be taken with a huge grain of salt. COVID impacted teams so differently across the board that a pre-season poll is even more ridiculous than usual. LSU, PSU, Wisconsin and probably Michigan are all more than likely top 25 teams. Play a few games and it will start to sort itself out. I'm not buying into the Indiana hype just yet. They're a solid team but they've gotta show me something in a "normal" year before I'm completely sold. And I like Tom Allen and think he's a terrific coach.

Not sure what to think about the Texas and Oklahoma SEC talk. My first question would be why? Especially Texas. They've got a great deal now with the Big 12 and their own network. Keep adding schools to the P5 conferences and you'll have to start talking about more conference games. The BIG 10 has gone to 9 and it's already done exactly the opposite of what they hoped it would do which is get more teams in the playoff. If you go to super conferences with 16 teams each I think you'll see some sort of pod system within the conferences.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I agree that last year's crazy COVID season is having an outsized effect on the pre-season poll and it doesn't seem to matter if you're looking at the AP, or the Coaches or CBS or whomever, they all seem to have the same teams in the Top 25. I expect there will be some movement in those polls in the next few weeks and then everything will be really different after the first week.

I've got even less desire to go to a game this season than normal but I am looking forward to being able to tune in regularly on Saturdays again to watch Michigan.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I've got even less desire to go to a game this season than normal but I am looking forward to being able to tune in regularly on Saturdays again to watch Michigan.

I'm exactly the opposite. I absolutely cannot wait to go to a game this year. I've already planned my trip to Happy Valley to see Auburn experience the White Out.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm exactly the opposite. I absolutely cannot wait to go to a game this year. I've already planned my trip to Happy Valley to see Auburn experience the White Out.
One of my next door neighbors is a proud PSU alum. Other than that he's a pretty decent dude.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Let's see the current pre-season AP Poll:

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Texas A&M
5. Notre Dame
6. Oklahoma
7. Georgia
8. Cincinnati
9. Iowa St.
10. Northwestern
11. BYU
12. Indiana
13. Florida
14. Coastal Carolina
15. Louisiana
16. Iowa
17. Liberty
18. North Carolina
19. Texas
20. Oklahoma St.
21. USC
22. Miami (Florida)
23. Ball State
24. San Jose St.
25. Buffalo

Some initial comments from this fan who does little more than tune in on Saturday afternoons:

• Okay Ohio State (blah) can be #2 but the next highest ranked Big Ten Eleven Twelve Big ∞ teams are Northwestern, followed by Indiana? No Michigan, MSU, or Wisconsin?
  • The Ragin' Cajuns made the top 25 but not LSU?
  • Ball State at #23? I know some planner who will probably love that!
  • Buffalo at #25? Now that they've got an MLB team, Buffalo thinks they're becoming a real sports town!
Ball State will implode. That ranking is because they wasted more money on some indoor facilities. Gotta pretend that the MAC matters!

NIL funding will soon doom these pointless football schools like Ball State. I also think the super league concept is becoming more and more likely. SEC, Big10, ACC, and PAC12 will just play each other. Let the WAC, MAC, and A10 schools play each other. It can be the D1-2 level, somewhere between D2 and real football. ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
While I will continue to say GO BLUE... I think that the program has lost it's way and I have zero understanding why Harbaugh still has a job. ESPN looked at things over the next 3 years and Michigan didn't even make the list. Until there is a substantial culture shift with the organization, I don't think they will be a contender.

Planit

Cyburbian
bubba - no worries, glad you took up the cause.

Pre-season rankings are a complete joke, as I have said before, and even more so after last year's season(s).

Don't really think Texas or Oklahoma need to move to the SEC, but they are at least closer to the southeast than Notre Dame to the Atlantic Coast. Still thought's not something that should be considered.

I look more at things like Vandy leaving the SEC or Wake leaving ACC would be in this discussion too, but I don't see that.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I look more at things like Vandy leaving the SEC or Wake leaving ACC would be in this discussion too, but I don't see that.
The only thing that could cause me to look favorably on Vandy leaving the SEC would be getting rid of their stupid basketball court.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Ball State will implode. That ranking is because they wasted more money on some indoor facilities. Gotta pretend that the MAC matters!

NIL funding will soon doom these pointless football schools like Ball State. I also think the super league concept is becoming more and more likely. SEC, Big10, ACC, and PAC12 will just play each other. Let the WAC, MAC, and A10 schools play each other. It can be the D1-2 level, somewhere between D2 and real football. ;)

Spin them off as subsidiary corporations and get the schools out.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
bubba - no worries, glad you took up the cause.

Pre-season rankings are a complete joke, as I have said before, and even more so after last year's season(s).

Don't really think Texas or Oklahoma need to move to the SEC, but they are at least closer to the southeast than Notre Dame to the Atlantic Coast. Still thought's not something that should be considered.

Geography has nothing to do with the divisions anymore. It's all about the money.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Apparently Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is a done deal, and has been in the works for six months; news of it only leaked because Texas A&M wanted to have a tantrum about being back in the same conference as UT. Personally, I'd prefer to see the SEC stay at 14 teams - bring in UT and OU, give South Carolina back to the ACC (where they belong), and help Missouri file the paperwork to drop down to Division II.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Apparently Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is a done deal, and has been in the works for six months; news of it only leaked because Texas A&M wanted to have a tantrum about being back in the same conference as UT. Personally, I'd prefer to see the SEC stay at 14 teams - bring in UT and OU, give South Carolina back to the ACC (where they belong), and help Missouri file the paperwork to drop down to Division II.
I like your mindset here. I say if this is going to happen, let's make the realignment much more grand.

Make the Big10, SEC, ACC, and Pac12 all 12 teams - 48 total. Make it a 12 game regular season, with 9 in conference and 3 (1 from each other conference) per season. Make the playoff include the top 3 teams from each conference (12) and four (4) at large teams from the rest of the world.

I prefer better football all year than watching MAC schools get killed for money.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^ Hink - I think we might agree on something here!!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I like your mindset here. I say if this is going to happen, let's make the realignment much more grand.

Make the Big10, SEC, ACC, and Pac12 all 12 teams - 48 total. Make it a 12 game regular season, with 9 in conference and 3 (1 from each other conference) per season. Make the playoff include the top 3 teams from each conference (12) and four (4) at large teams from the rest of the world.

I prefer better football all year than watching MAC schools get killed for money.

Wait, in this scenario I wouldn't have to watch Michigan play teams like Appalachian State each year?

You might be onto something here!

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Yeah, but that money helps the sacrificial lamb schools fund their programs. It may not be fun to watch but it does help.