• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Sports 🥌 2021 College Football thread

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Which is totally why the BigTenElevenTwelve added Nebraska.

Oh, wait...
They were AAU when the invitation was extended. They lost the AAU membership when they decided that the agricultural research was not as meaningful as other research. AAU is very important but so is research so the presidents still felt it was a good fit.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Looking forward to Iowa/Iowa State this week. Don't know the last time they faced each other when both were in the top 25. ISU has been a perennial doormat of the Big 12 until the last few years. ISU has finished first twice (2011 and 2020) in their conference since 1913.

zman

Cyburbian
Flying home to Denver this weekend for the Colorado vs Texas A&M game... sitting in the A&M section with Texas family... scared for my CU Buffs...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
260edde3-2eb4-45f2-af71-2926a728b1bc-E-doai1WQAkYF9H.jpeg

Planit

Cyburbian
Let's look at the ACC after week 1:

Won Games:
Wake Forest (ODU)
Boston College (Colgate)
Pitt (UMass)
Syracuse (Ohio)
Virginia (William & Mary)

Lost Games:
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Louisville

So as far as rankings are concerned, I guess Syracuse should maybe be in 1st, followed closely by Pitt?!?!?!??

TOFB

Cyburbian
Looking forward to Iowa/Iowa State this week. Don't know the last time they faced each other when both were in the top 25. ISU has been a perennial doormat of the Big 12 until the last few years. ISU has finished first twice (2011 and 2020) in their conference since 1913.
ISU has not been a perennial doormat; they have gone to 12 bowl games since 2000. But I can't argue they have been largely invisible on the national scene.

I would love to go to the game Saturday and have passed up free tickets. But going to this game either in Ames or IC is insane for someone of my advanced years.

Planit

Cyburbian
Let's look at the ACC after week 1:

Won Games:
Wake Forest (ODU)
Boston College (Colgate)
Pitt (UMass)
Syracuse (Ohio)
Virginia (William & Mary)

Lost Games:
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Louisville

So as far as rankings are concerned, I guess Syracuse should maybe be in 1st, followed closely by Pitt?!?!?!??
Oops I forgot about NCState. They beat USF so they're in first.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Oregon 35 ohio state 28
Oregon isn't that great, but they are good. Ohio State has no defense and starts a QB that isn't good (yet). This year is going to be a building year for THE Ohio State ;)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
OSU is still going to be favored in every game they have left. The offense is already pretty good and they'll only get better. The defense may be a work in progress all year. Hink might have to get used to OSU needing to win a shootout or two this year.

I'm headed to the White Out in Happy Valley against Auburn Saturday. Auburn has hung 60+ on their two opponents but it was Akron and Alabama State. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm headed to the White Out in Happy Valley against Auburn Saturday.
Normally I (jokingly) root for a natural disaster to hit the stadium for games like this, but since you'll actually be there I suppose I'll just root for the officials instead.

Planit

Cyburbian
Oregon isn't that great, but they are good. Ohio State has no defense and starts a QB that isn't good (yet). This year is going to be a building year for THE Ohio State ;)

If this is the case, why did they rank tosu so high in the polls?

Florida had an okay showing this past weekend against a weaker opponent. This coming Saturday will not be the same (unfortunately).

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
If this is the case, why did they rank tosu so high in the polls?

Florida had an okay showing this past weekend against a weaker opponent. This coming Saturday will not be the same (unfortunately).
Because Ohio State is still the 3 or 4th best team in the Country, I just have high expectations. We have two of the best receivers in the country (and some pretty good running backs), we just need a guy who can sling it to them consistently and an O line that protects him.

As for our defense, we haven't met an RB we want to keep, so we just let them run free... ;) That is kind of a problem...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I started to write you're top 5 in the AP and then I realized you meant ISU. I agree with you there. They were over-hyped to begin with.

zman

Cyburbian
Colorado hung in with A&M last Saturday.

I credit a great Buffs defense.... and A&M's starting QB breaking his ankle in the first.

However, the game was entertaining, even if i was sitting in the A&M section (half of the stadium).

Those "S!E!C!" chants at the end of the game hurt though... :r:

TOFB

Cyburbian
I started to write you're top 5 in the AP and then I realized you meant ISU. I agree with you there. They were over-hyped to begin with.
I have been a fan too long. I guess I feel bad for all my friends and family who thought this was going to be our magical year.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Iowa's offense is terrible but that defense is crazy good. I think a test will come when they play some teams with more explosive play ability. At this point they seem almost a lock for at least 10 wins.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Iowa's offense is terrible but that defense is crazy good. I think a test will come when they play some teams with more explosive play ability. At this point they seem almost a lock for at least 10 wins.

Iowa's run offense could improve. They have been missing a starting guard and the first two teams had good defenses. They will have chances vs Kent State and Colorado State to get it together more before playing PSU.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I came here to see if anyone mentioned the cat at the Miami vs. Appalachian game. I teased a friend who is a big App State fan that they had a 100yd punt return that was overshadowed by a dangling cat, as well as the fact that they lost.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Interesting... OSU isn't even in the Top 10 any more in the power rankings.

and they dropped to 9 in the AP...

As much as I like Michigan, I don't think they have earned a spot in the top 25 yet. Let's see how they do against someone like Wisconsin.

On a side note, is there a mercy rule that Western Carolina could have used. 76-0 is beyond a beatdown.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Interesting... OSU isn't even in the Top 10 any more.

As much as I like Michigan, I don't think they have earned a spot in the top 25 yet. Let's see how they do against someone like Wisconsin

Their defense is pretty dreadful... I vote for an off year, so I don't have to care, and I will be back next year with a QB who has had enough reps to get the ball to his amazing receivers and hopefully more defense...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Their defense is pretty dreadful... I vote for an off year, so I don't have to care, and I will be back next year with a QB who has had enough reps to get the ball to his amazing receivers and hopefully more defense...
Don't get me wrong, I don't like OSU... but I figured they would have only dropped to 5th or 6th... but 9 in one and 11 in another?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I don't like OSU... but I figured they would have only dropped to 5th or 6th... but 9 in one and 11 in another?
They lost to Oregon. Who is in the PAC-12. The PAC-12 is trash. They deserve where they are at. Let them win some games and prove they are better. Oregon isn't that good...

Planit

Cyburbian
Interesting... OSU isn't even in the Top 10 any more in the power rankings.

and they dropped to 9 in the AP...

As much as I like Michigan, I don't think they have earned a spot in the top 25 yet. Let's see how they do against someone like Wisconsin.

On a side note, is there a mercy rule that Western Carolina could have used. 76-0 is beyond a beatdown.

That's my alma matter - and our mercy was to get a nice fat check that basically funds a lot of the athletic program. Benn doing it for years.

I will admit when I saw OU on the schedule I said out loud "oh Sh!+ that won't be good"

We've played Florida, Clemson and such every year.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I was thinking of trying to fly into DC on Oct 1 to see the Maryland game.

I hope you do. It's a Friday night game. It was funny the last time the Terps tried a Friday night game. PSU waxed them 59-0. I'm from Maryland but I cant' stand UMD. They even gave their students off class that day. And then the beatdown commenced and the stadium looked liked Penn State East Campus with PSU students taking over the Maryland student section. It was hilarious.

bureaucrat#3

OSU is still going to be favored in every game they have left. The offense is already pretty good and they'll only get better. The defense may be a work in progress all year. Hink might have to get used to OSU needing to win a shootout or two this year.

I'm headed to the White Out in Happy Valley against Auburn Saturday. Auburn has hung 60+ on their two opponents but it was Akron and Alabama State. I guess we'll see.
Went to Auburn's game against Alabama State. They were pretty sloppy and looked as bad as possible against a team they beat by 60. Running game looks good, but passing and pass defense looks suspect. I have concerns about how they'll do against PSU. Rumor is the coach asked for a white out in Auburn's first home game to get the players in a frame of mind for Happy Valley.

Best part of the Auburn - Alabama State was the ASU marching band with Stingettes and Honey Beez. Worth a watch if you ever get the chance.

Planit

Cyburbian
A very "interesting" (that's not the best word to describe it) college football season so far.

Gators were a 15 point underdog at home against 'bama. Lost by 2 because of a missed extra point.
Clemson were favored by 26 & barely won after a 2 hour lightening delay.
tosu got rattled by Tulsa.
FSU got waxed again (well that wasn't so surprising I guess).

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I vote Cincy v. Iowa for the national championship ;)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We will take it. This season is setting up very nicely for the Hawks.
The Iowa/PSU game on October 9th might be a "first to 17 wins" type of game. Of course that depends if PSU decides to beat Indiana first, no guarantee on that one. Beating Auburn and the SEC officials Saturday night was pretty fun. All the Auburn folks were very appreciative of the environment and were good people. A great college football day and game.

White Out 9.18.jpg

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Iowa/PSU game on October 9th might be a "first to 17 wins" type of game. Of course that depends if PSU decides to beat Indiana first, no guarantee on that one. Beating Auburn and the SEC officials Saturday night was pretty fun. All the Auburn folks were very appreciative of the environment and were good people. A great college football day and game.

View attachment 55120
I doubt anyone does a better white-out than PSU. My nephew was there (he's '18) and said it was awesome. PSU will crush my Hoosiers. Penix is tossing INTs like Halloween candy.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1632165365093.png

Yes, it is only week three and Michigan has not faced a top 25 team yet... but I was surprised to see this yesterday afternoon. They even have Michigan/Penn State at 50/50 right now... which seems very optimistic.

I was not able to watch the Michigan game this past weekend, but based on stats and the score, it seemed to be very one sided. However as I said, I am going to stay cautious for a bit. Rutgers in the Big House will be one thing, but the real challenge is when Michigan travels to Wisconsin for their first top 25 opponent.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
View attachment 55126

Yes, it is only week three and Michigan has not faced a top 25 team yet... but I was surprised to see this yesterday afternoon. They even have Michigan/Penn State at 50/50 right now... which seems very optimistic.

I was not able to watch the Michigan game this past weekend, but based on stats and the score, it seemed to be very one sided. However as I said, I am going to stay cautious for a bit. Rutgers in the Big House will be one thing, but the real change is when Michigan travels to Wisconsin for their first top 25 opponent.
Michigan has screwed up less. If they can run the ball, they have a shot. It is Michigan though, and they are pretty terrible at winning games that matter... especially with Harbaugh at the helm...