• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Sports 🥌 2021 MLB Thread

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My hometown has lost their team in the big shakeup. They've had professional baseball off and on since 1896 and steadily since 1981. It sucks. :(

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
My hometown has lost their team in the big shakeup. They've had professional baseball off and on since 1896 and steadily since 1981. It sucks. :(
Lot our Pioneer league team. Too bad. Nice stadium and fun to watch. Not nearly historic as yours but sucks for both of us.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Some i's left to dot, and t's yet to cross, but the St. Louis Cardinals are acquiring Nolan Arenado from the Colorado Rockies. The spectre of Matt Carpenter at third base for the Birds on the Bat just went poof.

Happy Cards fan here.

Planit

Cyburbian
Pitchers & Catchers please report to Spring Training.

Back in January, MLB offered the MLBPA a 154 game season, at full (162 game) pay and expanded playoffs. That meant the season would start a month later trying to lower COVID concerns. The MLBPA said no, we don't like the expanded playoffs and we've been working out. Lets playball.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Will this be the year for my White Sox? If Kopech comes back it will be a big move in the right direction.

Planit

Cyburbian
Tim Tebow retired from baseball either yesterday or today. It really doesn't matter when, just like his baseball career.

Bubba

Cyburbian
San Diego signed its young phenom Fernando Tatis to a 14 year, $340 million contract extension (I haven't seen a detailed breakdown, but I assume it includes several options for both the team and Tatis). The best thing about this story? When his contract expires, the Mets will still have one more annual deferred salary payment to make to Bobby Bonilla. :ha:

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I saw this live Sunday while doing my taxes. Yadier being Yadier, schooling rookies.

Bubba

Cyburbian
San Diego signed its young phenom Fernando Tatis to a 14 year, $340 million contract extension (I haven't seen a detailed breakdown, but I assume it includes several options for both the team and Tatis). The best thing about this story? When his contract expires, the Mets will still have one more annual deferred salary payment to make to Bobby Bonilla. :ha:
...and then Tatis injures his shoulder swinging at a third strike last night (partial dislocation, to be reevaluated today). Dang.

Planit

Cyburbian
I’m surprised the BlueJays haven’t finalized playing in Buffalo yet (as I understand). That’s a bit surprising.

Maybe this should be in Buffalo thread.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Thank you, MLB, for proving yet again that replay "reviews" exist only to give cover to your umps for their obviously wrong calls. Manfred is apparently determined to f*ck over the Braves in any way possible.

Planit

Cyburbian
Thank you, MLB, for proving yet again that replay "reviews" exist only to give cover to your umps for their obviously wrong calls. Manfred is apparently determined to f*ck over the Braves in any way possible.

His foot still hasn't touched the plate!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers rookie Adolis García was denied his first career home run twice last night.

He hit a long fly ball. It bounced oddly, so it wasn't clear if it was off the seats or off the top of the wall. García slowed a bit, thinking it was over the wall, but then realized it was a live ball and sped around the bases. He came all the way around and was called safe at home.

Upon review it was overturned. Tell me: Do you think there was enough evidence to overturn the safe call? I'm not seeing it.

Planit

Cyburbian

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today is Opening Day for MiLB. Looks like a washout in the SE.

My team starts the season away, so our first home opener is next Tuesday.

Remember there's new rules in place for MiLB:
robot umpires. That's almost worth it's own thread. What do y'all think about that? They can achieve near perfect accuracy with machines registering balls and strikes. It occurs to me that eventually they should be able to replace all umpires with machines. Just need good enough cameras and a decent AI.

Bubba

Cyburbian
robot umpires. That's almost worth it's own thread. What do y'all think about that? They can achieve near perfect accuracy with machines registering balls and strikes. It occurs to me that eventually they should be able to replace all umpires with machines. Just need good enough cameras and a decent AI.

Pass. It's all fun and games until the MLB robot umpires become self aware.

16e65c9597f52ae1468c62222165320c.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Pass. It's all fun and games until the MLB robot umpires become self aware.

16e65c9597f52ae1468c62222165320c.jpg
Yes, but ball players will think twice before arguing with a self-aware terminator machine umpire. Come to think of it, once robotics have advanced farther, why not simply replace the players with machine players? Think about it, they'll be able to hit farther, run faster, no contract disputes or players unions....

Doohickie

Cyburbian
no contract disputes or players unions....
You say that, but if they are intelligent enough to play autonomously....

The Texas Rangers aren't very good but they're kind of fun to watch. Adolis Garcia in particular is a bright spot. He's been producing some timely hitting (such as last night's 2-run homer in the 10th). If their pitching would settle down they might be a decent team. They're dead last in their division, but only 5 games off the division lead and 3.5 games out of a WC spot, so if they went on a run they'd be right in there.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You say that, but if they are intelligent enough to play autonomously....

The Texas Rangers aren't very good but they're kind of fun to watch. Adolis Garcia in particular is a bright spot. He's been producing some timely hitting (such as last night's 2-run homer in the 10th). If their pitching would settle down they might be a decent team. They're dead last in their division, but only 5 games off the division lead and 3.5 games out of a WC spot, so if they went on a run they'd be right in there.
I am Unit #185732843BaXX representing the Cyberplayers Union local #110. Our players demand an increase of 0.6 nanoseconds of inactivity between innings and an additional 0.2 liters of machine oil per player per week.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
As a long-suffering O's fan that was awesome. Palmer pitched the last solo no hitter before I was even born in 1969! I remember the combined no-hitter 30 years ago this summer. I was living at the beach as a 21 year old and watching in a bar. That was a fun night.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, they mentioned that during the Rangers game today. That's crazy.

The Texas Rangers [are] dead last in their division, but only 5 games off the division lead and 3.5 games out of a WC spot, so if they went on a run they'd be right in there.
And a day and a half (and two games) later, and the Rangers have moved ahead of the Angels, are only 3 games out of first and 2 games out of a WC spot. They've taken 3 of 4 in every 4 game series they've played this year, against Tampa Bay, Boston and with today's win, Minnesota. Their pitching is still rocky, and their offense is good-not-great, but they're doing what they need to do to win.