• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sports 🥌 2021 MLB Thread

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My hometown has lost their team in the big shakeup. They've had professional baseball off and on since 1896 and steadily since 1981. It sucks. :(

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
My hometown has lost their team in the big shakeup. They've had professional baseball off and on since 1896 and steadily since 1981. It sucks. :(
Lot our Pioneer league team. Too bad. Nice stadium and fun to watch. Not nearly historic as yours but sucks for both of us.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Some i's left to dot, and t's yet to cross, but the St. Louis Cardinals are acquiring Nolan Arenado from the Colorado Rockies. The spectre of Matt Carpenter at third base for the Birds on the Bat just went poof.

Happy Cards fan here.

Planit

Cyburbian
Pitchers & Catchers please report to Spring Training.

Back in January, MLB offered the MLBPA a 154 game season, at full (162 game) pay and expanded playoffs. That meant the season would start a month later trying to lower COVID concerns. The MLBPA said no, we don't like the expanded playoffs and we've been working out. Lets playball.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Will this be the year for my White Sox? If Kopech comes back it will be a big move in the right direction.

Planit

Cyburbian
Tim Tebow retired from baseball either yesterday or today. It really doesn't matter when, just like his baseball career.

Bubba

Cyburbian
San Diego signed its young phenom Fernando Tatis to a 14 year, $340 million contract extension (I haven't seen a detailed breakdown, but I assume it includes several options for both the team and Tatis). The best thing about this story? When his contract expires, the Mets will still have one more annual deferred salary payment to make to Bobby Bonilla. :ha:

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I saw this live Sunday while doing my taxes. Yadier being Yadier, schooling rookies.

Bubba

Cyburbian
San Diego signed its young phenom Fernando Tatis to a 14 year, $340 million contract extension (I haven't seen a detailed breakdown, but I assume it includes several options for both the team and Tatis). The best thing about this story? When his contract expires, the Mets will still have one more annual deferred salary payment to make to Bobby Bonilla. :ha:
...and then Tatis injures his shoulder swinging at a third strike last night (partial dislocation, to be reevaluated today). Dang.

Planit

Cyburbian
I’m surprised the BlueJays haven’t finalized playing in Buffalo yet (as I understand). That’s a bit surprising.

Maybe this should be in Buffalo thread.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Thank you, MLB, for proving yet again that replay "reviews" exist only to give cover to your umps for their obviously wrong calls. Manfred is apparently determined to f*ck over the Braves in any way possible.

Planit

Cyburbian
Thank you, MLB, for proving yet again that replay "reviews" exist only to give cover to your umps for their obviously wrong calls. Manfred is apparently determined to f*ck over the Braves in any way possible.

His foot still hasn't touched the plate!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rangers rookie Adolis García was denied his first career home run twice last night.

He hit a long fly ball. It bounced oddly, so it wasn't clear if it was off the seats or off the top of the wall. García slowed a bit, thinking it was over the wall, but then realized it was a live ball and sped around the bases. He came all the way around and was called safe at home.

Upon review it was overturned. Tell me: Do you think there was enough evidence to overturn the safe call? I'm not seeing it.