• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Sports 🥌 2021 MLB Thread

TOFB

Cyburbian
Most people know I am a big cynic but the Field of Dreams game is going to be really cool.

And I have my first neighborhood meeting in over a year and will miss most of it.

AAAANND . . . just like that, I was told I don't need to go tonight. Deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: JNA

Planit

Cyburbian
Got to watch a few innings & it looked great, especially he White Sox old school unis (except for the swoosh).

The walk-off homer into the cornfield couldn't have been scripted any better.

Reactions: JNA

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
As a former state of Iowa resident, good to watch the game. Had to DVR as I had planning commission last night. Stopped recording in the 7th inning.

Planit

Cyburbian
Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Tyler Gilbert tossed the no-hitter as the team defeated the San Diego Padres 7-0 at Chase Field in Phoenix.

Gilbert, making his first career start, struck out five batters and walked Padres outfielder Tommy Pham three times.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Now that the Royals are long out of the race I could care less about baseball. So sick of the Dodgers, Yankees, etc. If the Dodgers win, or even go to the World Series again, baseball is lost.

I don't know if it's the Pandemic or what, but my interest in all sports has really taken a nose dive this year. I really don't miss it at all.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
If the Dodgers win, or even go to the World Series again, baseball is lost.

The best part of this baseball season is summed up by the stat below:
standings.jpg

The dodgers have gone 9-1 in the last 10 games.. they have gained all of 1 game :rofl: #paperchampions

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Nick Solak: 16 pitch at bat, finally beats out an infield single on what would have been Ball 4.

u4lbix83rcm71.jpg

Bubba

Cyburbian
Nick Solak: 16 pitch at bat, finally beats out an infield single on what would have been Ball 4.

u4lbix83rcm71.jpg
Meanwhile, the Rangers are 51 - 88 (that's 37 games below .500 if you're scoring at home (or even if you're not)).

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yep. Thanks for that reminder, I really needed to hear it :recall:

Always next year, right?

Some of the September callup pitching gives me hope for the future, but it probably won't pan out the way it has so far. Once hitters see them a few times they'll figure out the chinks in their games.

Planit

Cyburbian
Well the MiLB season is coming to the end next week. Our team's last home game was yesterday & we won't make the playoffs. There's always next year!

Thinking of playoffs, here's who I think will play in the post season:
ALEast: Tampa Bay Rays
ALCentral: Chicago White Sox
ALWest: Houston Astros
ALWildcards: Toronto/Buffalo Blue Jays & Boston Red Sox (I hope cause I hate the yankmees)

NLEast: Atlanta Braves
NLCentral: Milwaukee Brewers
NLWest: Los Angeles Dodgers
NLWidcards: San Francisco Giants & Cincinnati Reds (?)

Planit

Cyburbian
Did anyone see Cardinals SS Edmundo Sosa threw a wild ball towards first and hit umpire Junior Valentine square in the face?

Brutal. Even worse than a batter getting hit because the ump never saw it coming. He was concentrating on watching first base to make a call.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Did anyone see Cardinals SS Edmundo Sosa threw a wild ball towards first and hit umpire Junior Valentine square in the face?

Brutal. Even worse than a batter getting hit because the ump never saw it coming. He was concentrating on watching first base to make a call.
Cards fan here. In Sosa's defense, he ranged far from SS to nab a hard hit ball up the middle and made a throw on the run ... that was wildly off line. Valentine got hit square on the right cheek bone and, as you say, never saw it coming. I bet it sounded horrific. Tough guy, though, as he stayed in the game to the end.

I imagine he's got a seriously nasty bruise today. :grimace:

Planit

Cyburbian
Cards fan here. In Sosa's defense, he ranged far from SS to nab a hard hit ball up the middle and made a throw on the run ... that was wildly off line. Valentine got hit square on the right cheek bone and, as you say, never saw it coming. I bet it sounded horrific. Tough guy, though, as he stayed in the game to the end.

I imagine he's got a seriously nasty bruise today. :grimace:

No slight on Sosa, he made a great stop and tried to get the runner out. Hell the look on his face told you there was no intent.

zman

Cyburbian
Everyone in the PAC NW is holding out perpetual hope for the Mariners to make it to wild card… and will most likely feel the familiar sting of disappointment.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Well the MiLB season is coming to the end next week. Our team's last home game was yesterday & we won't make the playoffs. There's always next year!

Thinking of playoffs, here's who I think will play in the post season:
ALEast: Tampa Bay Rays
ALCentral: Chicago White Sox
ALWest: Houston Astros
ALWildcards: Toronto/Buffalo Blue Jays & Boston Red Sox (I hope cause I hate the yankmees)

NLEast: Atlanta Braves
NLCentral: Milwaukee Brewers
NLWest: Los Angeles Dodgers
NLWidcards: San Francisco Giants & Cincinnati Reds (?)
This aged well :rofl: . The cardinals are coming up behind fast. I wouldn't want to face them in a 1 game playoff. They are in god mode right now. In other news, I just snagged game #2 of NLDS tickets. It's my first playoff experience, assuming there is no implosion along the way