• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

3/3/04 noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s Noontime question is an actual planning question of sorts… I have a friend (female) who is coming to visit me from a Medical School in Detroit tomorrow, and I have been thinking about what sites or places would I like to take are in this area… so I started to look at tourism guides, and I was shocked about how much there really is to do on a Thursday night here in the K-zoo are! So that brings up the question of;

What social, cultural, and tourist like places exist in your community, and do you frequent them?

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Interesting question, Mike. I grew up almost in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty and never stepped foot on the island. |-)

Louisville has quite a bit, from the obvious, Churchill Downs (although only open seasonally for live racing), to the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory (definitely worth a visit). A couple of real jewels that are often overlooked are the J.B.Speed Art Museum on the UofL campus and the Falls of the Ohio River State Park (how many of you knew there were falls on the Mighty Ohio?). The Falls Museum is devoted to the Devonian Period fossils that are exposed on a 150-acre area at the edge of the river. Quite impressive.

[OT] There's a promising 3-yr old for this year's Derby named -- Kitten's Joy :-D [/OT]

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well, here in Chicagoland there are so many things to do, its quite amazing.

To name a few, I live a block from the Lincoln Park Zoo, which has the Linocln Park Conservatory next door. Then you could walk down to the Chicago Historical Soceity down the street, that could be the afternoon, get lunch and eat it in Oz Park then in the evening either go to the Second City on North Wells or go to one of the thousands of bars and live music venues.

Of course these activities are better during Spring, Summer, or Fall, because being outside in Winter here in Chicago is a bit challenging for non-residents.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Sometimes it seems as though I can't get away from them. I work in Old Town Scottsdale, which is quite popular with tourists, but really retains so little of its actual history to really be interesting to me. Scottsdale also has the Giants Spring Training near downtown, which can be irritating, since the infrastructure surrounding isn't very accommodating.

EDIT: I attended the U of Arizona which has the best Ansel Adams collection in the country. You can schedule private viewings, and I did it a few times with a group.

boiker

Cyburbian
Peoria has a surprising amount of touristy type thigns to do. It has a technology history "antique" collection/museum, a soon to be expanding zoo, a fantastic riverfront, wonderful historic districts. Good dining, good bars/entertainment, minor league hockey, baseball, and arena football. There is a science and technology museum and a "delta" museaum is in the works. Every week in the summer there are free concerts at a historical park pavillion. Not bad for a small city.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Being that I am in central FL, the main touristy things are, of course, the theme parks and all their attendant entertainment complexes like CityWalk and Downtown Disney. Then there's the beach, the Cape, airboat rides, Gatorland, Park Avenue in Winter Park, and the Orlando Science Center (part of a complex with some good art museums).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
michaelskis said:
But do you go to any of these things all that often?
I go to the zoo and conservatory about once a week and nice evenings in the summer are spent in the flower garden of Oz Park.

I don't get out to the bar/nightclub scene ever, because it's not really my thing

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
What social, cultural, and tourist like places exist in your community, and do you frequent them?
Too many to list... but the second part of your question is the interesting bit. Our waterfront area is sort of a social/cultural/tourist place that I go to as often as I can. Used to walk there every day when I lived closer. Quite romantic on a nice evening. Other than that, I frequent Wellington's bars, cafes and restaurants 3-4x a week :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The Big Easy is self-explanatory. Locals, myself included, don't frequent the Vieux Carre to the extent that tourists do.

donk

Cyburbian
Where I lived there were many attractions, I did many of them, but wish I had done the following

1) Salmon Fishing - world famous river
2) Go lobster fishing
3) Visit Beaubears Island to go for a hike/poke around the ruins.

Where I am going, I've already taken the tour of the nuclear plant(as a kid), don't like paddling so the marine national park is a no go, have been to a few of the provicial parks before, chuckle at the thought of ground hog day being an economic development tool, and still have to figure out what else there is to do there.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Eisenhower Presidential Library (dead president and hero)
*Old Town Abilene (historic cow town)
Carousel Museum (you spin me right round, baby right round, like a record - baby, right round round round)
Greyhound Hall of Fame (for dog buffs)
*Women's Fashion Museum (I like the hosiery)
*Seelye Mansion (Architectural gem)
LeBold Mansion (Architectural gem)
*Rolling Hills Refuge (World class zoological park with many endangered species, including at least 5 rhinos)
*Rock City (unique geological feature)

* Attractions visited in the last 3 years.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Personally, I like to frequent the most kitsch-iest (2nd largest ball of twine in the US) places i can find. Three levels of irony removed, most of them are quite cool. Nearby to me there is: Turkeyville USA - git yourself a yummy turkey sandwich fer lunch or, better yet, a turkey dinner complete with fixins' fer only $9.99 any day of the year (exceptin' Thanksgiving). I once stopped by the Mustard Museum in Mt Horeb, WI - the guy who runs the place is a real cutup (we of course had photos taken with me & the wife shaking hands with the world-famous curator!) and I have an entire photo album filled with fiberglass statuary featured prominently in front of various greasy spoons and tourist traps across the country.
Get out there. Seek joy in the banal and lowbrow and you can all 'put the sub in suburban'.... :-D

Repo Man

Cyburbian
There are a lot of attractions that I rarely go to. We have the domes, which is 3 huge gardens inside 3 domes and I haven't been there since the 5th grade. I haven't been to the public museum since 1992, and I haven't set foot inside our new world famous Art Museum addition. I rarely go to the symnphony or any other fine arts events.

I do go to the Imax about once a year and take visitors on Brewery tours about 3-4 times per year (anyone want to come visit??). I try to encourage people to come during the summer months because there is a festival every single weekend.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo - do you remember the "Be a Tourist In Your Home Town" add campaign that the visitors bureau ran a few years back? I was shocked at all the attractions they listed that I had never been to (I still have not been on a Miller brewery tour although I've done others). I was never in the art museum until they built the calatrava addition. I get Milwaukee Magazine now and try to keep up on the gallery openings and wine tastings.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I do go to the Imax about once a year and take visitors on Brewery tours about 3-4 times per year (anyone want to come visit??). I try to encourage people to come during the summer months because there is a festival every single weekend.
I'm thinking about it :b:

We also seem to have a festival every summer too. Allentown Art fest, Taste of Buffalo, Artvoice Street Festival, Thursday in the Square (rock, they play music where they used to hang criminals back in the day), Elmwood Vilage Art Festival, etc..

I went to the zoo over the summer, been to the National Buffalo Chicken Wing Festival, visted Albright Knox Art Gallery, been to numerous historical buildings (including future site of Rumpy's Rampage, Concrete Central), Sabres game (its over :-S), etc.

Haven't gone fishing down by the river or lake lately, better get on track and get down there.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Chet said:
"Be a Tourist In Your Home Town" ..... I was shocked at all the attractions they listed that I had never been to
That is exactly what I was talking about... people live in a place, but never go any place like that... but they will go to another city to do the tourist thing.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
But do you go to any of these things all that often?
This year we have annual passes to Universal, the past 2 years it was to Sea World. I used to be able to get into Disney free but then Trail Nazi moved.

We hit the beach every weekend in the summer, go to the Science Center and Cape fairly frequently.

Unfortunately the tourists like all these places, too...

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, if you talk the Bay Area, there is of course a long list. Do I go to Fishermans Wharf and all that? Nah. Its pretty tacky, a few good restaurants and the Sea Lions at Pier 49 aside. I mostly go to San Francisco to eat dinner, go to a museum (not very often), shopping, and, far more than anything else, I just like to walk. (Hills are good for you!)

Sacramento is equidistant to where I live, so I'll take people to the State Capitol, Capitol Park, and the touristy area, Old Sacramento. Myself, I usually go to Sacramento for the bicycle path along the American River (36 miles each direction), the kinda cool Midtown neighborhood for restaurants and just wandering around, and the nearby town of Davis, a very pleasant college town.

I'm never very big on standard tourist things. I just like to see different places.

kms

Cyburbian
Westmoreland Museum of American Art is in our county; I go there at least twice each year. Once, I went there to listen to an Accordion Expo - that was way more fun than I expected, and for some odd reason, I had some kinds of connections to many people there. ;-)

We have a couple of French and Indian War sites, and a few natural/environmental areas. There is now a geologic site along the bike trail, but I haven't seen it yet.

I, too, like the kitsch-y things, like the coffee pot building and the Art-Deco Gulf Station in Bedford.

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
Westmoreland Museum of American Art is in our county; I go there at least twice each year. Once, I went there to listen to an Accordion Expo - that was way more fun than I expected, and for some odd reason, I had some kinds of connections to many people there. ;-)

We have a couple of French and Indian War sites, and a few natural/environmental areas. There is now a geologic site along the bike trail, but I haven't seen it yet.

I, too, like the kitsch-y things, like the coffee pot building and the Art-Deco Gulf Station in Bedford.
kms
I've read that the Westmoreland Museum has a pretty impressive collection of American artists. At some point I'll have to mosey on down there and check it out. And speaking of Bedford, I've heard there's a 'Gravity Hill' down there - You know, one of those places where if you put your car in nuetral it will start to roll uphill. Have you heard anything about it?

There are more things to do around here than I could possibly list. Unfortunatly I have only been to a few of them in the past couple of years that I've lived in the area. A few of my favorites include the The Carnegie Museum of Art, which boast an increadable collection, The Andy Warhol Museum, Saturday morning shopping and eating in the Strip District, The zoo.... the list goes on.

Perhaps the most touristy thing I've done has been to take one of those 'Duck' tours where an retrofitted WWII amphibious vehicle takes you on a tour of Downtown and then drives into the Ohio River. The experience was very cheesy, espcially with the guide instructing us to quack loudly at various times throughout the tour, but it was a lot of fun