• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

GIS / spatial 3D GIS challenge!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We are trying to set up a 3d model of our city, well I am running into a snag. We have an elevation shape file, and I am having problems getting that into a 3d image. Does anyone know the calculation that I need to do to convert it into a 3d? (Oh and I am using 9.0 and Arcscene

cmdrico7812

Cyburbian
You have an elevation shapefile? What is the shapefile of (buildings and such with an attribute of height for each object in the shapefile)? or is it an elevation of the land?

Cirrus

Cyburbian
There should be a tutorial in the help file somewhere that shows you exactly what to do, step by step. I've done it before based on those instructions (using 8x, but I imagine it's similar).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We have 2ft contours with USGS elevation values in a line shape file. For that I was able to get that in a 3D. Then I transfered the elevation value into a .TIN file, and tried to use that to use as a base elevation for an ortho.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Never mind... it worked, It is just that our city is so flat that you have to be sitting on the a level to see any change.

teshadoh

Cyburbian
You could consider 'tweaking' the elevation some to make it more noticable. You would do that in the query property for the layer, I often multiply the figure by some percent.

boiker

Cyburbian
teshadoh said:
You could consider 'tweaking' the elevation some to make it more noticable. You would do that in the query property for the layer, I often multiply the figure by some percent.
I was going to suggest that. in the midwest you need to bump the elevation/distance scale ratio to 2:1 or more, 1:1 will give no real effect.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Here is a complicated question. We have building foot prints in a polygon shape file. How would I import each of the building frontages for a few of the buildings what we have photo's of? When I goto put it on, it does not want to agree with me...

The One

Cyburbian
Wow

I dream of the day (that may never come) when I have a fraction of the time to complete "any" such complicated project......

plankton

Cyburbian
The One said:
I dream of the day (that may never come) when I have a fraction of the time to complete "any" such complicated project......
Hey, I was thinking the same thing. 3-D maps - heck, I'm about 1/3 of the way through a city-owned property map and it's taking me forever.

I am admittedly a GIS geek and would gladly spend most of my days building layers and layers of cool info.....but....no time...gotta run!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
plankton said:
Hey, I was thinking the same thing. 3-D maps - heck, I'm about 1/3 of the way through a city-owned property map and it's taking me forever.

I am admittedly a GIS geek and would gladly spend most of my days building layers and layers of cool info.....but....no time...gotta run!
I guess that is one of the good things about my job. 3/4ths of my job is Zoning and Code Enforcement. 1/4 is GIS. That way I do not get caught up in the regular stuff. It also helps that I am kind of testing out 9.0, working out the bugs and problems, so they can install it on several other computers.

Hey I did this very thing with as map of Montreal last year while finishing my degree, using ArcGIS 8 and 3D scene. What I did was take an elevation map (1-meter intervals) and turn it into a base tin. I also had building footprints, and linked it to the tax evaluation rolls, giving me type of establishment, age of building, and also, nuimber of floors!

I made an assumption that the first floor would be 4 meters high and each susequent floor 3m, and played around with the *.dbf file to create a coloum called "building height"

Now, I went into 3-D Scene and dropped my tin into the window. I put in a vertical exaggeration factor of 3, so you could atually see the relief. Note - I did not do this in the General settings, but in the properties dialog for the tin layer.

I colour coded the elevation so that the river basin went blue, the midlands green, then Mont-Royal darker green (for the pine and spruce trees). After, I draped my b&w ortho overtop of the tin, and set the transparency to 50% so that the colour of the underlying tin would leak through and give it some substance. I did not need to set the VE of the ortho as it followed the tin nicely.

A little trick was to "float" the ortho off of the tin by a pixel or two - there is a setting that lets you do this (drawing priority) in the properties dialog, but I'm not able to access arcgis right now so can't tell you exactly where it is. But, floating the ortho avoided the ugly aliasing that sometimes appears when you overlay two layers with the same priority on top of one another in 3d scene.

Next I added the building footprints, again using the tin as a base layer, but this time setting the float (or order of priority) to be slightly above the ortho.I used my new "building height" column (generated from number of floors) as the vertical calculation. Since I used the tin as the base, the VE was automatically applied, but I chose to add a bit more VE to the footprint layer specifically to create greater visibility of the buildings.

Last, I draped a lovely street network file overtop, added the rail lines, and voila, a lovely 3d scene of Montreal that I could pan and fly around in. I found it pretty cool for viewsheds, comparing zoning vs. land use, playing god, all kinds of stuff. Hmm. I wonder whatever happened to it...

So there you go, hope it helps in some way.

monkeyflower

Cyburbian
Spatial_Monkey said:
Last, I draped a lovely street network file overtop, added the rail lines, and voila, a lovely 3d scene of Montreal that I could pan and fly around in. I found it pretty cool for viewsheds, comparing zoning vs. land use, playing god, all kinds of stuff. Hmm. I wonder whatever happened to it...
What?! Are you taunting us by suggesting that you can so easily do this that you just toss it in some corner and forget about it when you're done with it?

Sheesh. Some monkeys...

monkeyflower said:
What?! Are you taunting us by suggesting that you can so easily do this that you just toss it in some corner and forget about it when you're done with it?

Sheesh. Some monkeys...
Ha Ha HAH! Actually it gets worse, a friend of mine watched over my shoulder as I did this, and decided he really wanted to do the same thing for Toronto (so he did), then went further and decided to model the Gardner Elevated Expressway in 3D Scene - so what HE did was create a polygon to represent the roadway, gave it depth, then floated it off the tin layer by 8 meters, then created smaller polygons tucked underneath to represent the pilings! It worked awesomely. We used the same technique to show alternate routes, including tunnel options and bypasses. We had it set so you could actually fly along the Expressway through downtown and past the CN Tower, then dive down into the tunnel and whip through the geology underneath. And all with ArcGIS 8.

What do you think of that? ;-)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, I figured out most of the 3d program. I created a basic model of the city, scanned in the development plans for our new wal-mart, digitized the building, landscaping, and roadways. Then created an .avi movie showing a fly around the building.

Now I was wondering, how do I imprint the Wal Mart image onto the building surface?

[OT] I wanted to put Vader's theme music from star-wars onto the .avi, but the GIS tech thought that it would be a bad idea [/ot]

michaelskis said:
Now I was wondering, how do I imprint the Wal Mart image onto the building surface?
Unfortunately I think the solution to that would be to switch to 3D Max or other autocad based system for that kind of paint job. SInce ArcGis operates on extrusion from a plane, you can't paste on images on the vertical dimension - that I'm aware of at any rate. I could be pleasantly wrong.

But - you could alter the original ortho image or drape a new ortho-rec image over the walnart development site custom-coloured to match your terrain and buildings, and put the walmart logo on that! It would have to be on the roof, ie. helicopter landing pad for flying out all the money they're going to suck from your community.