• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/13/04 noontime question from Michaelskis.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Because audio books rock, I ended up checking Anthony Robbins Get the Edge from a local library, and the CD’s have been impressive up till yesterday. He went off on something called a Green Drink. I have no idea what it is, or even if I can get it at a grocery store. I stepped back to look the program in general.

Have you ever tried any of these motivational programs, tapes, books, or been to any speeches.

Part 2. Where can I find this “green drink” to make my body less acidic?

ludes98

Cyburbian
I like self reflection, but that is about it. No motivational books, tapes etc. for me.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm too lazy to engage in that motivational mumbo-jumbo. Green Drink: try Gator-aid available at grocery and convenience stores everywhere.

boiker

Cyburbian
I'm not motivated enough to listen to motivational tapes.

Also, the green drink could be anything.. green kool-aid? :)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
boiker said:
...green kool-aid? :)
Paging Mr. Jones, Paging Mr. Jones....

On-topic:
I go with the self-reflection route, but I don't wish to spend money to buy/listen to motivational stuff.

A nice sunny day is enough motivation for me!! :-D

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
I've tried to read the "Body for Life" book but the stories bore me...I just want to get to the work out!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
A nice warm, sunny day on my bicycle is mine - total escape. :)

Just for you Michaelski - green drink = beer in a green bottle or glass ;-)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Just for you Michaelski - green drink = beer in a green bottle or glass ;-)
I like the way that you think JNA

Wheat Grass? Where can I find that stuff?

Budgie

Cyburbian
I find more motivation in one measure of Led Zepplin than I can find in any book. Ramble On !!!!!, Now's the time, the time is now.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
A day off from whatever is bothering me to lsiten to music, read, sleep and laze around, reflcet, go out is enough to get me back to that problem and many others effectively.

Although I find all these people going to motivational talks funnily different I think external motivation must be useful for them.Sometimes I try to learn from them.

On the whole, I am not comfortable about these external motivation techniques.But I I have realised that, I don't have to read the whole book for motivation. I just read the title or a catchphrase, chapter head and let my mind do the rest.
Good example is one such title ' Awaken the Giant within You'.
In this case i just kept looking at the title everytime I saw it on my ex-colleague's tabletop and kept repeating that title.
After too much coaxing by one of my uncles I read 'Rich Dad- Poor Dad' with a lot of effort and realised that the whole book ( after reading of course) could be consised into a couple of statements. 'Learning statements' or 'statements of application', you can call them.

I find a lot of motivation from reading fiction too and all kinds of music right from ' Motley Crue to Bread" ( as someone said).

Talking about Motivation reminds of Maslow's theories and I wonder how and why weneed the motivation only when we are down and out and dont think about it much when things are going great guns.
:-\

But with tiem I am slowly developing the attitude and approach to be open to all kinds of media for motivation. After all it's me who gets the benefit. Right!! ;-)

Dragon

Cyburbian
I'm surprised no one said it, the green drink wouldn't be Absinthe would it :p ?

Personally never tried any of those motivational tapes/books/etc.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Sorry, but I can't hear about any of those motivational things without seeing the infomercials from Requiem for a Dream .
Be excited!!!

B-)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
' Awaken the Giant within You'.
'Rich Dad- Poor Dad'
Ah yea... I own them both, and have Awaken the Giant within on CD.

I personally think that they bring up allot of good, yet common sense points about how people live there lives, how people interact (and not interact), and how we look at our selves.

Most of it is like looking at a stop sign, and having someone tell me that it is red... We see them so much, we know it is red, but it is hard to explain it.

vaughan

Cyburbian
Well, you have touched on an odd topic for me...

When i was growing up, my parents were VERY excited about motivational tapes, speeches, speakers, etc... We belonged to some kind of motivational speaker tape series and would regularly get stuff in the mail that we could either buy or send back. No kidding- I grew up on anthony robbins and Zig Ziglar.

The oddest tapes we ever listened to were this series of subliminal message tapes that we got in the mail one day and which hung around our house for about 2 years. Tapes called "health and happiness" and "goals" that played elevator music or the sound of the ocean while supposedly sending out positive vibes.

Now, most people would laugh derisively over the idea of a 12 year old regularly falling asleep listening to the sound of waves lapping, underscored by quiet voices urging him to do his very best, but I swear they did something to me. The first time I ever heard the "Goals" tape was one morning at breakfast (my mom, by the way, didn't tell me the full story behind the elevator music she was playing and I didn't ask). After quite possibly the most motivated day at school I have ever had, I came home and wrote up an entire list of things that I wanted to do with my life by the time I was 40. Timelines, goals, objectives, and little mini-lists of things that I would have to accomplish before moving on to the bigger stuff. Now granted, much of the list consisted of becoming a professional athlete and having sex with many, many women, but still- is this the normal behavior of a 12 year old?

I haven't listened to anything like that in years, but I swear (and I am only half-joking here) that I turned out a different person than had they not been playing in my house constantly several years..

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
My husband's father drinks that crap, it is called Innerlight/Super Greens. It looks like swampwater. I won't let my husband bring it into the house since it is gross to look at. My fish had cleaner water to live in. You can find it at health food stores.

BTW, I have not found the motivation to listen to self-help books. :)

The Irish One

Wheat Grass? Where can I find that stuff?
Health food store will have a flat of wheat grass sprouts. They'll press it for you in a small cup, it is absolutely disgusting, imagine mowing the lawn, getting some of the fresh cut grass blending it to liquid and drinking it! But it's really good for you.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I get enough motivational yaya in the leadership classes my employer keeps sending me to. It's free (for me) and some of it is useful. But I don't buy other books/tapes for myself.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
vaughan said:
Now, most people would laugh derisively over the idea of a 12 year old regularly falling asleep listening to the sound of waves lapping..
I grew up to my Einstein type Dad playing "Learning to Speak Russian or Spanish" records while sleeping...and ZG & TN wondered why I'm so weird.
You can get the "green drink" at any health food store. Its by the blue-green algae pills.

Rem

Cyburbian
I had to attend an Anthony Robbins session with our new management team about 9 years ago (it was the new CEO's idea). I was at the time about 15 years younger than anyone else in the team but I was the only one that was excruciatingly uncomfortable when AR insisted everyone get up and sing along to "Born to be Wild" and jump and shout. It went for about 14 hours and I hated every minute.

And I just realised, I'm the only member of that team that still works here. None of the others left on their own terms either.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can't say I've listened to Anthony Robbins specifically but I'm familiar in general with the practice of motivational speaking. There's no doubt in my mind that it can be a great thing. The frustration that folks undergo after attending a Covey or a Ziglar seminar, is that most people do not afterwards experience or maintain the emotional state they had while actively listening and reflecting on the speaker's words and its' application to their own lives. The bottom line here is emotion -which is the fire which propels us to perform in this case. The folks who are successful are the ones who afterwards are able to find some method (such as listening to tapes of the speaker every day) to reexperience the emotion they feel while listening to the speaker. An unfortunate fact of life is that our emotional energy is widely diffused/dissapated grinding on over parking tickets, traffic, screaming children, and expectant bosses, which all serve to undermine or distract people from their best intentions to make good on the personal vows and resolutions they make at these seminars.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I don't listen to those tapes but I should get a big stack of them to play whenever I drive home from seeing my family.

Have any you ladies done hypnobirthing? They hook you up with some pretty funny tapes that you're supposed to take seriously - Feel the red mist surrounding you . . . feel the feathers of the red bird comforting you . . . .
We even took a class with a hypnobirthing instructor. The results weren't that great but mostly because my wife's labor was so quick.