• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

4/14/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

Did you finish your taxes?

• Yes they have been done and mailed for a while

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • OH $h(^ tomorrow is the 15th? (No I have not done my taxes yet)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Done, but not mailed

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I am a kiwi or other non-US resident.

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
With great excitement, it is that time again… TAX DAY starts in 12 hours! (EST) I know that some post offices will have extended hours to allow people the last few moments to get their tax returns or payments into the mail. Which leads to the question;

Did you do your taxes right away, or will you mail them tomorrow?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We had our's done by the beginning of Feb.

We do them as soon as we get our W-2s.

This gets the refund cash back sooner! :-D

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Getting money from Uncle Sam (can you say Catholic School Tuition?) 8-!
Sending Uncle Joe a check :-c
Mailing 'em today.

When is Tax Liberation Day, anyway. (I just know eG is going to take a swing at that softball... ;-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mine have been done for awhile... I even got my refund back already. I have my taxes done for the Canadian government as well, but I just haven't mailed them yet.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I mailed mine on the 13th. I felt no need to rush this year since I wasnt getting a refund. :(

Dragon

Cyburbian
I finished mine in February. I couldn’t wait for my Federal refund. I owed the state though. Greedy jerks. Hopefully my money will go to bring us out of 50th place for Healthiest State. |-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Taxes have been done since Feb.....long and tangled mess, since the refund got put toward a delinquent student loan of my ex-wife, and I had to file more paperwork to get my portion of the refund....finally got it a couple of weeks ago....used it to pay back my parents for my divorce attorney. :p

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
federal long sent and spent...the state came back to me b/c i didn't attach w-2's (oops...but the state rep on the phone said that b/c i had prepared them on the 'puter, that the bar code sheet was my w-2...lies!)

boiker

Cyburbian
I'm uncustomarily slacking. My taxes are partially done (ready to be submitted through e-file). I'm assembling all other possible deductions before I click "submit".

My wife started a home business last fall and there are PLENTY O' deductions to be found: computer upgrade - deduction, internet bill (needed to submit her orders) -deduction, home phone - deduction, office supplies - deduction, fuel for the car - deduction.

My taxes will be done around 11pm tonight.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Finished mine the 2nd week of Feb. Got refunds from both the feds and the state, which I'm using as part of the deposit on a new apartment, but had to pay a little on my local taxes.... Local income taxes, what kind of BS is that?!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
We had our's done by the beginning of Feb.
You make me ill! ;-)
A friend of my uncle's 2nd counsin's (twice removed) boyfriend used to work with the IRS and he said that your chances of an audit are less if you file on the 15th along with the rest of the Big Herd. It's those sickly, weak Wildebeasts who stray from the pack are the ones that the lions go for, you know.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I got 'em done and mailed (actually, e-filed) in February. The refunds were direct deposited a few weeks later. I'm hoping to use some of it to go to Amsterdam (or Ireland, or Scotland, or...), if I can keep my husband from spending it. :p

SGB

Cyburbian
Finished both state and federal forms in early March. Refunds came last week.

Was amused to have a credit union teller tell me there would be a one day hold on the federal funds. I guess they were afraid the fed's check would bounce! ;)

ludes98

Cyburbian
Still dragging as I owe this year. Haven't mailed them in years. I wish e-file was cheaper, but I still use it.

kms

Cyburbian
We e-filed and got the refund a few weeks ago. Used some if it to pay local taxes and one credit card bill. I'll try to hang onto the rest.

otterpop

Cyburbian
As a condition of our recent house purchase, we had to do our taxes in February. Got to write off the Berserker as a dependent. Next year, we get to deduct for mortgage interest!

Floridays

Cyburbian
I did mine last week...I usually wait til the last minute! :-D Getting a pretty decent federal refund, and no state income tax in FL!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I don't pay taxes because the government has no right to take my hard earned cash. I'll be hiding in my bunker now. ;-)

Waiting for the return, feds giving back, state is robbing me but what do you expect in the highest taxed state in the U.S. :-@.

BKM

Cyburbian
Done for weeks, but they've been sitting on my desk unmailed at home. Which is foolish, because I am getting $300 back from the State of CA.

JNL

Cyburbian
Our system is fully automated, i.e. we don't have to do anything. You make sure your employer has your correct tax code and that's it. No tax arrears, no refunds. You just trust them to get it right 8-!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The accountant e-filed ours yesterday. The last "married, filing jointly" return for me.

moose

Mr. Moose & I used our federal refund to pay off the state and county taxes ($400 for county!), and still had enough leftover to buy me a new bicycle! yay!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I finished mine about 8:30 PM on the 14th. It's a shame I didn't do it earlier, as it turns out I will be getting back over $1100 this year. I usually break even between the state and federal taxes. So now, what do I do with my refund?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just mailed my Fed and State -
I wish I was smart like some of you'se
filing earlier and getting refund sooner.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I've done all my investments for the year as per the deadline. Tax deadline is in June. So still have time to do that. :)