• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

4/19/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
As some of you know, I went home to the Upper Peninsula to visit family and friends. During that time up there, I noticed how behind nature is, but, when I came back to the Kalamazoo area most if not all the flowers decided to show up. (pictures to come later) I was surprised to see that it only took a weekend.

Upon return, what differences have you noticed when you have left your town for a weekend?

nerudite

Cyburbian
When I was living in Woodland, CA, I went away one weekend and when I came back the old building next to my house was torn down. Otherwise, the weirdest thing that has happened was once there was a big windstorm on Whidbey Island while I was gone and when I came home there were fir trees all over the place. Looked like someone confused the game of lincoln logs with pick up sticks, just on a really grand scale.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I stayed in town, but I noticed that our lilac bushes really budded over the weekend, despite overcast skies and cool temperatures. And some sturdy pansies have flowered between the bricks of our walk. Mother Nature is one tough old broad.

boiker

Cyburbian
This weekend I went from Peoria to Hoffman Estates to pack more of my stuff. I noticed that in Chicago the flowering and blooming plants were just getting started. In Peoria they were going crazy...and today my allergies prove it.

Also it was 85 in Peoria and 65 in Chicago.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I went up to Saginaw this past weekend (two hours north/east) and came back here to see the tree's in bloom and leaves out, and grass super green. My sister, who lives in Marquette, was also in Saginaw and she was saying how different things looked.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Its strange, but I always have a concern that there will be a fire downtown when I go away for a while. Of course, it is more likely that the fires will occur when I am in town. Upon my return from vacation last week, I learned that there had been a fire in a building, that spread to two more. Nothing serious, but it might have been.

The past 2-3 days have been warm here, and the flowers have loved it. They are really beginning to sprout now, and I even noticed some of the ferns starting to poke up from the ground.