• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/20/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

What are your thoughts on William Hung?

• He Rocks

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • It is Sad

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Who is Hung?

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I noticed an article headline “Hooked on Hung” and it went on to talk about William Hung the American Idol Contestant what was so bad it became famous. I personally think that it is wrong what is happening. People are giving this poor man the wrong impression as if he is a rock star or something.

What are your thoughts on William Hung?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Don't know who he is; only things I watch on TV are newscasts and sports.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I only know who he is after getting a sample of his CD last weekend when Planner Groupie and I were in a record store.....for sheer comedy value, I laughed....but obviously he's a novelty act, which will not last very long.

His version of "Rocket Man" was hilariously bad.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I think its sad like we're all making fun of this simple minded guy.

But when you see him perform with fireworks and dancing girls you realize how little actual talent comes into play anyway.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Yes, it kind of seems like everyone is in on the joke but him. However, he is making some good money during his 15 minutes of fame, so I don't feel too bad for him. I do like his version of Rocket Man. It almost sounds good.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Ya know, people thought that Weird Al had no chance of a career when he started but he has managed to make a living. Maybe Hung will too.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Seabishop said:
I think its sad like we're all making fun of this simple minded guy.

But when you see him perform with fireworks and dancing girls you realize how little actual talent comes into play anyway.
He is a civil engineering student at Berkley....... no other comment is needed ;-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have no clue who this guy is. But then, if he's not a hockey player, he's probably won't be on our t.v. in the next several weeks. It's been playoff hockey or nothing lately.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
You forgot the "Who cares?" poll choice.

Queen B: Weird Al can not even be compared to Hung, or vice versa. Al is a good musician and singer with a lasting and varied ability (granted, best in periodic doses). Al does funny stuff on purpose.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Right now our new *planner* is playing back audio from our last ZBA meeting and I can hear myself talking -- I absolutely hate my voice and can't sing a lick. But, you know, if it works for this guy, maybe I'll give it a shot:-D

Seriously, I haven't a clue other than from reading this thread. We watch Nova, Frontline, History Channel and Sports if it isn't the news. I really don't care to see people embarass themselves and then be humiliated by some pretentious idiots. 8-!

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Dragon said:
I hope he enjoys the money he makes from the world laughing at him.

I agree with Dragon. Although he's being laughed at, I think William Hung's having the last laugh because he's making a ton of money for being a horrible singer--I wish I could do that, I have a terrible voice! This guy isnt' dumb, either--he's a civil engineering student at Berkeley. So, more than anything, I say more power to him. I think his album even beat out Courtney Love's new release--not that that's saying much, but still.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oh come on....this guy is 'Larry Bud Mellman' reincarnated. I'm sure at this point he knows the joke is on him and is playing along for the 15 minutes. The $ he's making along the way is probably not enough for him to consider quitting his day job any time soon, but might be enough to take care of the rest of his student loans maybe.

To me, his dancing was much more hysterical than the singing.

Primarily, I couldn't care less about this, but upon further reflection, I say bully for Hung. I hope he buys himself something nice.

BKM

Cyburbian
Heck. If he wants to stay in California, maybe he will be able to buy a thin walled, tiny condo 50 miles from his future employment :)