• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/22/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Last night to burn off steam, I went back to the gym and worked out like crazy. As I was working out, some girl had a pet squirrel on the gym, and was showing people, feeding it, and it stayed in her backpack as she worked out. It made me wonder.

What odd pets have you had?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
My youngest son has 2 bearded dragons (big lizards). He also once had a tarantula.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Well, the easter bunny brought us a bunny. Which isn't really that odd, I suppose. But as a cats-dogs only person, it is a little different.

I know a guy that has a squirrel as a pet. He trained it as a youngster to sit in his shirt pocket. First-timers to the bar he hangs out in typically freak when the see it clamber out of his shirt to sit on his shoulder 8-!

Dragon

Cyburbian
We had a couple of ferrets when I was younger. We’d let them run loose in the house sometimes too. Once, one of the little thieves was running down the hallway with a potato in his mouth. It was funny to see the little guy trying to move with that potato which must have been almost twice his body weight.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I use to have a zoo when I was a kid (no I didn't live with Michael Jackson).

The strangest were:

2 mexican ground squirrels

1 prairie dog (they really bark)

1 chincilla (sp?)

I had a baby squirrel, but it died.

I had a trout that I found dying in some stream because the city was dumping sewage into (they got fined, oops). I nursed that sucker back to health and then sold sold it to the pet store.

crayfish

salamanders I caught in a forest

newts

other pets that are probally common

Now all I have is Snarf
1796snarf-med.jpg

boiker

Cyburbian
I had the exotic pet that some of you may be aware of called a Dog. It was the weirdest thing, short, furry, made a harsh "arf-ing" type noise. Anyone have any experience with these?

I also had two gerbils, one male one female, I ended up with over 25 in less than a couple months. It was a blast.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I have two long, slinky, furry creatures Kerouac described as "snakes full of love". They're more commonly known as wiener dogs, although one thinks he's human and the other thinks she's a cat... B-)

ebeech121

Cyburbian
The weirdest pet I've ever had was Sampson.

He was small and greenish-brown. He liked to eat lettuce, but only a very special kind.

No one could see him but me. :-D

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
When I was a kid, someone gave me one of those little turtles from the Woolworth's pets department. That one died and was replaced, then THAT one died and was replaced... This went on for awhile, until we decided these poor creatures were not bred to survive.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We had a skunk when I was in junior high. He was leash-trained and very affectionate.

My siblings and I once found a horned toad about a block from our home. Wonder what it was doing on the loose in Florida? We kept it for quite awhile.

nerudite

Cyburbian
When I was in college, my bf and I had a lot of weird pets in our apartment. Mostly reptiles. At one point in time, we had a rosy boa, a terrarium with several tomato frogs, an iguana, two finches, another terrarium with a argentine horned frog, fish tanks, and a parrot.

My two favorite pets though for exotics were:

Iago, a Solomon Island prehensile-tailed skink, which my aunt found in her backyard trees in Los Angeles.

Yuri, a Uromastyx... I used to love to pick him up and feed him green beans.

ebeech121

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
When I was a kid, someone gave me one of those little turtles from the Woolworth's pets department. That one died and was replaced, then THAT one died and was replaced... This went on for awhile, until we decided these poor creatures were not bred to survive.
We got hamsters from Woolworth's when I was little. My sister went through 3 Woolworth's hamsters to my one. I think she did it on purpose though. o:)

Habanero

Cyburbian
I had ducks, we got them for easter. Other than that we've stayed with dogs and cats and, for the record, I like them much better than ducks.

Floridays

Cyburbian
When I was in kindergarten, I had an albino Guinea Pig named Snow White. I PROMISED my parents I would feed & water and clean the cage. Being 5 years old, I got burned out fast on that so we gave her to a pet store. :-c

Grew up with Irish Setters and I now have a cat named Foster who will be 17 years old this summer...still acts like he's 10.

One of my best friends had an albino King snake that was pretty cool...Casper...he would wind down your neck, under your shirt and would wrap himself around your waist like a belt. I didn't like watching him eat the mice, though.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
In college we had 2 ferrets and they werethe worst pet ever. They would crap on the floor and look at us while they were doing it..as if they somehow knew what they were doing was wrong. They were so useless.

I had a roommate who had a penchant for buying crappy exotic pets. He had a couple of snakes, a guenea pig, rats, mice, gerbils, etc at various stages of the 4 years I lived with him. That was enough to make me swear that I would never ever have a pet that was not a fish, dog, or cat.

JNL

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Now all I have is Snarf
I like the look of Snarf - looks like he/she has got 'tude :)

I was at a friends place the other day and we were halfway through a movie when I did a double take and realised that in the next room there was this thing swimming round in a fish tank - an axolotl. Kind of creepy.

ludes98

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I like the look of Snarf - looks like he/she has got 'tude :)

I was at a friends place the other day and we were halfway through a movie when I did a double take and realised that in the next room there was this thing swimming round in a fish tank - an axolotl. Kind of creepy.
I couldn't resist Googling. Here is Mexican Axolotl:

Variety:

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Turtles

We had two turtles when I was a kid. Found them in the middle of the highway in Arizona when we were driving home from a weeked trip to the mountains. They lived in our atrium.