• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/23/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well now that I am starting to get caught up on things, I will post a fun yet planning question…

The city that I work for gets Tulip Happy every fall, and it shows in the spring all around city hall, and on many of the boulevards. (see pic’s below)

Does your community do any mass temporary plantings such as thins? If so, please share with pictures.

1377flower4-med.jpg
1377flower3-med.jpg
1377flower2-med.jpg
1377flower1-med.jpg

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Nope, not here. We do have some nice landscaping in downtown though it does need some help.

Who takes care of maintenance? Is there a sprinkler system, or does someone have to water them? It looks great while they are in bloom, but what happens after the tulips die?

I always get on our DDA Director that we need more flowers, and those are the questions she asks.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
We have an entire Tulip Festival here in Albany. It started 56 years ago when the Queen of Holland gave a bunch of tulips to the city to celebrate our Dutch heritage. It's held in Washington Park (designed by Olmstead) and the city gardener and her crew plants something like 10,000 tulips in the park alone and also all througout the city. She also maintains a lot of separate little gardens in medians and other parks throughout the city--I'll try to post some pics after the fest (May 7-9).

jmf

Cyburbian
Ottawa has a huge tulip festival every May. From the website:
The Canadian Tulip Festival has grown into the largest tulip festival in the world from a gift of thanks given five decades ago. In the fall of 1945, Princess Juliana of the Netherlands presented Ottawa with 100,000 tulip bulbs. The gift was given in appreciation of the safe haven which Holland's exiled royal family received during the Second World War and in recognition of the role which Canadian troops played in liberating the Netherlands.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
We are attempting to do something like this for the first time this year. Our local community college's horticulture program is cultivating 6,000 wave petunias and 3,000 impatiens for planting in various areas around the City. Some local people have put up money for maintenanceand we have a committee coordinating volunteers to plant the flowers. Also, the Governors' wife has decided that she needs to be the Lady Bird Johnson of Illinois and has convinced Rod to grant $35,000 to 28 cities statewide to plant wildflowers at major community gateways. I am coordinating both efforts on behalf of the City and I'm learning a lot about cultivars, forbs, and prairie grasses.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We have really pretty plantings every year (a little later in the year though!!!). Usually the plantings are in medians, along street corners or around municipal signs. Here are some examples:

This one is looking across the street to City Hall. You can see our groovy fountain and cascade windows (water running down diagonal windows) in the background:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Milwaukee is famous for its boulevard plantings. They change them throughout the year to there's always color.

Even in the face of budget cuts, they manage to keep them beautiful year after year.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Generally no in AZ. The water requirement is high and April is usually the driest month of the year here surprisingly. Desert plants usually bloom in the spring and they can be quite colorful, but some only bloom at night so people miss it. Most commercial developments, especially apartment complexes, do colorful perennial plantings.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The big flower festival here is (surprise, surprise!) at Disney World.

Otherwise, we have lots of flowers year-round, so there's no big explosion of them in the spring.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Aside from some traffic islands, about the only real interesting annual planting of that sort here in Appleton is that every year, the narrow terraces between the curbs and sidewalks on south Oneida Street from the Fox River Bridge just south of downtown southward to at least Calumet Street (the south county line on the city's south side) is planted end-to-end with giant marigolds. This was apparently started by the owner of a greenhouse that is located on the street a few years after the street was heavily rebuilt in 1980 and it just sort of spead farther and farther out every year since.

Mike

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
The big flower festival here is (surprise, surprise!) at Disney World.

Otherwise, we have lots of flowers year-round, so there's no big explosion of them in the spring.
We are in the sub-tropics here so everything is green except what developers have paved over and it can be pretty ugly.