• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/27/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yesterday’s question did not happen due to I went home ill. (after I started to get dizzy from standing up, I was told to go home!) Well today when I was gone to lunch, I turned on ESPN, and they where talking about the steroid problem.

What are your thoughts on Legal supplements such as testosterone boosters, protein and nutrient shakes?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Thanks for reminding me that it's almost lunch time. I'm off to get some Kentucky Fried supplements smoothered in lumpy cold gravy.

boiker

Cyburbian
I say, steriods and other performance enhancing drugs are bad....m'kay

although, performance enhancing drugs are a different story.

mgk920

Cyburbian
boiker said:
I say, steriods and other performance enhancing drugs are bad....m'kay

although, performance enhancing drugs are a different story.

Unless the 'performance enhancing drugs (legal or illegal)' thing is proven to me otherwise, I will NOT recognize Babe Ruth's 60 (154 game season) or Roger Maris' 61 (162 game season) single season home run records as being broken. Ditto Henry Aaron's career home run record, should Barry Bonds 'break' it.

Normal suplements and dietary changes (ie, protein shakes, etc) have been used forever, but I would not allow any hormone boosters, even the relatively mild herbal 'testosterone boosters'.

Mike

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Juicing may lead to this ;-)

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Tarnishes everyone

I believe that professional leagues and the college athletic associations should really crack down on a lot of that stuff. It simply crosses the line from performance being a factor of talent and hard work into performance being a factor of drugs and supplements. I think the players who are clean (and that's probably a majority) need to lobby their league or association to screen everyone and have a low tolerance policy for the use of prohibited substances. The players who are clean will have their career clouded and devalued (at least by me) unless they support screening of themselves and their teammates.

Certainly, anything illegal should be severly punished. There's no excuse for that. Use of legal, but still prohibited, substances should still carry a hefty penalty when not used under a doctor's orders.

The athletes who take short cuts tarnish the accomplishments of everyone.

H

Cyburbian
I intend to invent a planning enhancement drug. i shall call it "plan-x".

here will be a quote form an actual user:

"This little purple pill makes me zone the speed of three planners! I used to use banal Euclidian layouts, but now I zone in vertical and 3D layers!!"

But down the road I see many planners goinf to jail when the public finds the Dept. of P&Zs all over this land have been secretly slippping the drug into commissioner's coffee's :-(

michaelskis

Cyburbian
H said:
But down the road I see many planners goinf to jail when the public finds the Dept. of P&Zs all over this land have been secretly slippping the drug into commissioner's coffee's :-(

Coffee could be considered an enhancing drug... and I don't think that anyone would want that to be banned.

(How many times have you had coffee to get you through a rough morning?)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
michaelskis said:
(How many times have you had coffee to get you through a rough morning?)

Or through any day for that matter.
I can't calculate such high number ;-)