• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/6/04 noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was once asked an interesting question during an interview at a high end shoe store when I was in college. The job was for a high pace, commission paying sales position, and looking back at it the quest is tells a lot about a person. So it is today’s noontime question…

If you’re at a party, who are you closer to, the person dancing on the coffee table with the lap shade on their head holding a 40 of Mickey’s, or the person sitting in the chair in the corner, board out of their minds, drinking a latte?

(Describe where you would be if you where in this party)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
In the corner, wishing there was Guinness on tap.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would spend about 2 seconds trying to engage the Couch Sitter in conversation. If it is obvious that they didn't want to be there, I would be over by the Lampshade person toastin' with thhe 40's! I don't understand why someone would just sit there and be bored at a party. Either join in the fun or stay home.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I guess it depends on the party and what I've had to drink. When I'm around people I know very well, I would be closer to the lampshade wearing freak... but around people I don't know well, I may be the couch sitter.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
nerudite said:
I guess it depends on the party and what I've had to drink. When I'm around people I know very well, I would be closer to the lampshade wearing freak... but around people I don't know well, I may be the couch sitter.
I second this one!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Somwhere in between. I am not likely to be the lamp shader, but I love that stuff so I can be found encouraging bad/strange behavior.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I am the walrus because my house has no lampshades.

Budgie

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
In the corner, wishing there was Guinness on tap.
Ditto. I enjoy watching people, discussing the nature of relationships and existentialism. Although given the right vibe, previous consumption and alignment of the cosmic bodies, I tend to become a mad man. It's a Dr. Jekle - Mr. Hyde thing.

One of the gals down at the club I frequent, thinks that I'm the kind of person who can get away with murder. Quite, upstanding community leader with a quite undercurrent of insanity that no one notices until it's too late. I like screwing with her mind.

tsc

Cyburbian
a forty of mickeys....yikes. But in college... that would have been me. :-}

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Was the right answer during the interview "I would be the one pointing out to these two individuals that _______ brand shoes are made of the highest quality leather, made in the U.S.A, and feature unparalleled arch support."

I guess I'd have to default to the coffee drinking dweeb because I don't like drinking a lot, and the lampshade guy would probably piss me off. In reality I don't think I'm that square though.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I probably would be at home, trying get in touch with my friends, wondering where everyone was and why I wasn't invited. |-)

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'd be in the corner, laughing with my friends about the lame attempts of drunk boys to hit on women. Hey, if you can't say anything nice, come sit next to me. :p

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Was the right answer during the interview "I would be the one pointing out to these two individuals that _______ brand shoes are made of the highest quality leather, made in the U.S.A, and feature unparalleled arch support."
I did not even think before I spoke and said… well, I would be the best friend of the person on the table, making sure he does not fall down, but using him as a common interest toppic to start talking to people (aka women) that I did not know yet.

He laughed, and offered me the job on the spot. I worked there for 2 summers, and had a ball the entire time. (oh, and I only own two pairs of shoes made in the US… the rest are from Denmark or Portugal.) ECCO’s BABY!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
michaelskis said:
(oh, and I only own two pairs of shoes made in the US… the rest are from Denmark or Portugal.) ECCO’s BABY!
Not all of the Ecco's are foreign made.....we have a Ecco Shoe facility here where I work. :) And they're expanding. :D

http://www.ecco.com/us/

BKM

Cyburbian
Generally, bored in the corner, particularly if its a party with a lot of people I don't know/don't really want to know.

However, there are exceptions.

I would rather go out to a nice dinner with a group of family or friends. I am not too much of a "party person." (Don't really drink, hate dancing, am not particularly wild-and-crazy, not too interested in FUN FUN FUN) Boring am I :-b

JNL

Cyburbian
It totally depends on what the overall party is like. And if there are only two people there, one dancing on the table and the other in the corner, then I'm the third one who is leaving!

Okay okay so there are other people there... I'm more likely to be the one in the corner because I'm a people watcher too. I'm more outgoing when I know people well. Ditto to nerudite's answer.

At a party a couple of weeks ago, I was the one sitting in the corner reading a book! I got sick of the pretentious conversation, and my friend had dressed as a deviant librarian for the (dress-up) party, and was carrying a book round with her... she got me to hold the book for her while she went to do something and I flipped it open and started reading.... it was Lady Chatterley's Lover :-D

boiker

Cyburbian
In my college days, I would not be on the table. I would have been rather sauced and social with everyone... not just the exceptionally entertaining or the exceptionally quiet. I'd make sure that the bored out their mind person could chat with me if they'd like.. but if there stubbornly bored.. I won't bother.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
In college I would have been drinking too much and generally hanging around with a small group of people - a bit cliquish. Now I find myself wandering from group to group with a glass of wine in my hand, or hovering over the buffet.