• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/8/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The other night I was at a party and everyone was noticing how much a brother and sister had the same personalities, and even thought processes. Yet they were both adopted, but an older sibling who does not reside in the area was very different in his beliefs, thoughts, and characteristics.

Do you think that the beliefs and characteristics from the parents are passed down on their children, and do they remain after they move out, and grow up? Or do we as humans change our belief and personality structures change as our environment structures change?

SGB

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Do you think that the beliefs and characteristics from the parents are passed down on their children, and do they remain after they move out, and grow up? Or do we as humans change our belief and personality structures change as our environment structures change?
An interesting question, indeed.

Based on the experiences of myself and an older sybling, I'd have to say that many, but certainly not all, of the parental beliefs and characteristics remain after the youngster fledge. At the same time, children evolve on their own subject to various environmental factors (psychological, social and otherwise).

nerudite

Cyburbian
I think that a lot of my traits are similar to my parents, and even some of my interests. I hold very different beliefs than them though, and I'm also very different from my brother. I don't think that there is any one thing that molds us and that we take from several people and experiences in our lives.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I don't know about that. My brother and I are pretty different. He and my dad are more alike and me and my mom are more alike. Many people have commented on that. My dad and brother are more "dreamers" and risk-takers and that works well for them. My dad started his own busnesss and it has been very successful. I would probably never have the guts to start a business, unless I came into a lot of money and had a backup plan.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I think your home life and parent's beliefs definitely set the tone for who you are as an adult. Most people have the same religion, basic moral views, and favorite sports teams as their parents. Some people though are characterized by rebelling against their parents beliefs for better or worse. My God, lets hope I don't end up just like my parents. :-c

tsc

Cyburbian
I think so... and it ain't always pretty.... I hate it when I recognize some of their not so nice traits in myself....

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I can see myself turning into my dad already.....minus some of his more conservative political leanings on some topics.

H

Cyburbian
in my psychology classes during undergrad we were taught that both genetics and environment have an eqaul role in development. :)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i'Ive always felt that environment makes the person. I'm not sure how genetics can shape that other than how one develops emotionally.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My brother and I are adopted. I think we are raising our kids pretty much alike, and we both really appreciate family tradition, but other than that, we are SO different. He is much more conservative, and so laid-back it is inconceivable to me, while I am hyper, hyper, hyper. We have vacationed together several times in the past. He has the kids doing a conga line to Buffett around a rented double-wide trailer in Steinhatchee FL, while his wife and I are running around bug-proofing the place, finding a laundromat, scrubbing all the dishes and utensils, etc. He has more fun (sigh).

Doitnow

Cyburbian
My Brother and me are quite unlike each other but some of our core values remain same and totally unchanged over the many years.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
H said:
in my psychology classes during undergrad we were taught that both genetics and environment have an eqaul role in development. :)
I don't know if it always breaks down 50/50, but clearly both factors play a role to varying degrees...