• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4/9/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
With two small kids I am more holiday-inspired than when I was single.

I draw the line, however, at hanging plastic eggs on trees for easter :-D

Budgie

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:

Yeah, what the frick and frack is that. Any festivity I feel is usually spoiled by how holidays are really only there to boast sales. We really try to instill in our children the true meaning of holidays and I try not to let material goods cloud my children's notion about what a holiday is really about. I usually have an internal fight between the kid in me and the Curmudgeon who has to witness capitalisms orgy of excess.

Gedunker said:
With two small kids I am more holiday-inspired than when I was single.

Thank god my kids are now teenagers and kind of inherited my Scrooge-like genes. I informed them yesterday that Easter is coming up and asked if they wished to do anything for it. They went "Oh, that explains a lot. No. Why would we?"

That's my boy!

I do enjoy cashing checks from relatives on my birthday. I usually spend it on something very festive like groceries or the electric bill. God, I am such a Party Animal. :-D

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
ME, well I put little white lights on the pine tree infront of my house around christmas, other than that I don't decorate my house with anything for any holiday. I do, do thing for most holidays but I leave the decorating and planning up to others.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I've got my butter lamb for easter;) :

[cheektowaga] Did you go to dat der Brudvaymarket der? Dey got da goot butterlamb der, wit dat der little plasticflak der dat say alleulia der. Alfredia der just want to get one from dat der Tops der on Unionroat der, but da butterlamb der from dat dar Brudvaymarket der is better der.[/cheektowaga]

Seriously, I'm not very festive on other holidays. Maybe it's because I'm from a small family, so gatherings aren't usually grand affairs.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:
[cheektowaga] Did you go to dat der Brudvaymarket der? Dey got da goot butterlamb der, wit dat der little plasticflak der dat say alleulia der. Alfredia der just want to get one from dat der Tops der on Unionroat der, but da butterlamb der from dat dar Brudvaymarket der is better der.[/cheektowaga]

If your going stock pile the butter lambs, that der place to go. Went last year and the place was jammed, however I didn't go for easter this year. When I get the time I'll go down there and get me some sausages :p

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I only decorate really big for Christmas and Halloween. I'll put out a few small decorations for other holidays, like Easter and Thanksgiving.

Oh, and I have themed t-shirts and socks for most of the holidays. My 'tween child thinks they're dorky.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hum... festive? what's that? I just relax (or try to), on holidays that are usually holidays of a religion that I do not follow, but anyways, it's legally a holiday so nothing stops me from taking it off! :)

For independece celebrations..(which are celebrated on the wrong day here..*) the typical BBQ is a must. nothing else...

* FYI the real independence day of Chile is February 12th 1818, but for some strange reason and tradition it's celebrated on September 18th, because that date in 1810, a joint of citizens took the power, because Spain had been invaded by Napoleon and the King was being held prisioner. (1808) This government proclaimed to keep The reign of Chile free from the French invasors and hold it until the King came back to power... Although It took only a year or so until people wanted total independence from Spain.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I try to enjoy the holidays especially those which symbolise light and color and vitality.
Since I don't celebrate Christmas like a christian, its more like a party day/evening.
Some local festivals I have a blast!