• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

4pm question for 2/19/04 from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wow, I am on time today! Today’s question kind of just popped into my head today as I was thinking about the past things… and so here we go…

What was your favorite cartoon when you where a little kid? (or now for that matter)

For those of you who are old enough to not have TV when you where little, I will accept favorite radio show.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
When I was little: Scooby-Doo or the Muppets (not really a cartoon but close)
Now: The Simpsons, and the Aqua Teens.

Also forgot the number-one, all-time best cartoon ever: Warner Brothers! Sadistic, cynical, hilarious. Bugs Bunny has such style. The Animaniacs weren't bad either.

Last edited:

Rem

Cyburbian
Rocky and Bullwinkle - it was corny but for a pre-teen seemed subtle. I still think it's funny.

SGB

Cyburbian
Grape Ape

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Rocky and Bullwinkle - it was corny but for a pre-teen seemed subtle. I still think it's funny.

Back in the day it was Transformers and G.I. Joe. I know that they were really nothing more than half-hour long commercials for toys but I couldn't wait to get home from school in the afternoons to watch them.

These days I also find myself watching cartoons on a regular basis (I refuse to grow up :p ) Right now my favorites are also the Simpsons and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

JNL

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Back in the day it was Transformers

I always wanted to know who Morthan and The Eye were - you know, 'Transformers - Morthan meets The Eye' :-$

The Smurfs were kinda cool.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Rem said:
Rocky and Bullwinkle - ...I still think it's funny.

Me too.

Another is the orginal Johnny Quest
or
Thunderbirds not a true cartoon but was :cool:

biscuit

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
What was the name of the sward in thundercats???

Man, I can't believe I forgot about Voltron. That was another favorite.

I think the sword was the Eye of Thundar.
Thundercats was pretty cool, although the whole transformation of Mumra used to kind of scare me a little. :-$

boiker

Cyburbian
Then:

MASK
Transformers
Duck Tales (woo ooo)
Arcade Saturday morning cartoons (anyone remember that?)

Now:

The Adult Swim Line-up
King of the Hill
Simpsons
South Park
Ed, Edd, and Eddy
Dexter's Lab
Powerpuff Girls
Spongebob Squarepants
Fairly Odd Parents

That's all. I can use my kids as an excuse to watch cartoons more than most 'respectable' adults should :)

Dragon

Cyburbian
As a kid I loved Voltron, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and as an adolescent I grew found of the famous idiots Beavis and Butt-Head (is anyone really that dumb :-c ).

Now, I happen to like Futurama and the Simpsons.

Habanero

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Wow, I am on time today! Today’s question kind of just popped into my head today as I was thinking about the past things… and so here we go…

What was your favorite cartoon when you where a little kid? (or now for that matter)

For those of you who are old enough to not have TV when you where little, I will accept favorite radio show.

Anything on Adult Swim and the Family Guy now.

What was the Dinsey cartoon with the pilot bear right after Duck Tales, another favorite? They play it late at night now and I still watch it, even though I usually grumble I've seen it before.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I loved the Flintsones and Scooby Doo, probably because they were a solid 1/2 hour as opposed to shows like Tom and Jerry and Woody Woodpecker, which were also great, but shorter.

I also liked Rocky and Bullwinkle and anything with the Tasmainan Devil or Yosemite Sam.

boiker

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Anything on Adult Swim and the Family Guy now.

What was the Dinsey cartoon with the pilot bear right after Duck Tales, another favorite? They play it late at night now and I still watch it, even though I usually grumble I've seen it before.

Talespin, on the same.. do you remember Gummi Bears?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Then:
Beanie and Cecil
Scooby Doo
Josie and the Pussycats
Bugs Bunny

Now:
Dexter's Lab
Family Guy
Futurama
Simpsons

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Richard Nixon Show.....wait a minute, that was a presidential administration.

Try, Rocky & Bulwinkle.

Bear

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Starblazers, hands down. A few years ago I bought the entire series on eBay. Damn is it terrible, what was I thinking. Its like Japanese anime redubbed by Ace and Gary, the ambiguously gay duo.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Starblazers, hands down. A few years ago I bought the entire series on eBay. Damn is it terrible, what was I thinking. Its like Japanese anime redubbed by Ace and Gary, the ambiguously gay duo.

You mean this Ace and Gary?

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Chip and Dale's rescue rangers. Watched it everyday after school. Even taped it a couple of times. (even though I always messed up and taped "charles in charge" instead as c in c came on right after my cartoon)

ludes98

Cyburbian
ilikefish0 said:
Chip and Dale's rescue rangers. Watched it everyday after school. Even taped it a couple of times. (even though I always messed up and taped "charles in charge" instead as c in c came on right after my cartoon)

Come on, like you didn't like :8: Charles in Charge of your days and your nights. :8:

donk

Cyburbian
I did not watch a lot of TV as a kid, but i'm making up for it now.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was a hyanna barbera cartoon battle of the network stars thing. I know that grape ape was on it as was the caveman. (can't rememeber his name either).

The really old and rotten spidermans and hulks. Watch them now on Friday nights after I come home from hanging out.

Now

Simpsons, the odd King of the Hill. I can't get into Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
boiker said:
Talespin, on the same.. do you remember Gummi Bears?

Gummi Bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere! I loved the Gummi Bears
My others were Gem, Animaniacs, She-Ra Princess of Power, and Tom and Jerry

Recent - Rollie Pollie Olie, and pretty much anything Disney

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Chet said:

Oh, those Gamelons (remember Leader Deslock or the Comet Empire?).......I remember watching the credits and seeing that the show originally ran in Japanese as "Space Cruiser Yamato". The battleship Yamato was of course the flag ship of the Japanese navy during WWII (which in the series they ended up turning into a space ship). Because all the dialogue was redubbed in English, I always wondered while watching the pilot episode if they were actually saying things like "many American pigs died under these guns...."

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
all the WB shorts from about mid-1940 thru 1960.

Now:
Space Ghost:Coast to Coast
Samurai Jack

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I liked the typical 80's boy cartoons that people mentioned - Voltron, Thundercats, He-Man, Transformers, GI Joe (knowing is indeed half the battle), and Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, even the damn Smurfs. Its amazing I had time left over to play and go to school.

Does anyone remember an earlier Voltron-like cartoon with a robot called Guy-King or something? It was very Japanese. I vaguely remember seeing it and thinking it was awesome (remember I was 7). My friends were more into it and I felt like I was missing out on something very cool.

Biscuit don't be embarrassed about Mumra scaring you - when I was little I was scared when the dragon would appear on Tic Tac Dough.

I just want everyone to know that I can watch any game show now without having to leave the room. I am RUGGED!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Biscuit don't be embarrassed about Mumra scaring you - when I was little I was scared when the dragon would appear on Tic Tac Dough.

I just want everyone to know that I can watch any game show now without having to leave the room. I am RUGGED!
It's reassuring that I'm not the only childhood TV wuss out there.

What about the Snorks? I think the used to come on Saturday mornings. I used to wonder who would win in a Smurfs versus Snorks battle. And I barely can recall these but does anyone else remember Shirtails or Mon Chi Chi?