• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

5 minutes until 11 and there are 3 of us still here...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
How bad are we....

I just got out of a Planning Board/Town Council meeting, and had to have one last Cyburbia fix before I go home (where I haven't been since 7:30 this morning)....yet....I'm not alone....ElGuapo and gurnee are on here too....

What're your excuses? :)

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
NH,
First, a different time zone. Second, I have spent the past two weeks slaving over a citizen survey. Have been working on it weekends and nights unitl 1:00am or later on it. BTW, I often can be a compulsive perfectionist.

This will turn into a consultant rant. I wanted our comp plan update to be in-house. It takes a bit longer, but from my experience a local product is more attuned to local issues and way to resolve them. On many consultant products there is a list of what appears to be good strategies with little or no thought on whether they could be implemented in the community.

Citizen input, however, might be better if solicited from an outsider, so I retained a consultant for that portion. Plus it would save me time and effort. Signed the contracts in Dec 2000, to be completed in May 2001. By the time of supposed completion, the survey was drafted.

Against the advice of other wiser people, I let myself be strung along (this is not the only thing on my plate). By Nov 2001, I dismissed the consultant. I got a CD with the survey results. But had no one who knew how to get the data out. So for the past two months I put it on a front burner.

I first had to self-learn the basics of MS Access. Started pulling the data out, and found entry mistakes, invalid questions, etc. galore. For the past two weeks I have done nothing but this project, trying to make sense of the mess. I will brag and say that the final product (finished last night) is pretty good. But no credit should go to the consultant.

The moral is: when you retain consultants, constantly stay on top of them.

I am taking off today and tomorrow to catch up for my lack of overtime--salaried, you know.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I know what you mean...

Mike:

Been there, in a previous job where I became the mapper for a consultant. Learned my lesson the hard way and now make daily calls to my consultants to keep them on track.

Enjoy the time off...sounds like you deserve it!

el Guapo

Capitalist
I have a connection everwhere

NHP,
I bought a big reel of Cat 5 wire and I have broadband - the bathroom is the only room left to wire. I worry about humidity and laptops. My wife doesn’t understand. So my guess is that somewhere in my house one of the many computers has Cyburbia up on it some of the time. Someday I want the 1000mbps wireless cranial implant.

Mike,
As to consultants, I once knew one that really did have an inner sense of ethics. He believed in doing what he and his firm promised -even if it cost him his job. He even tried to tell the client to bail on the contract after the consulting firm had violated the terms of the contract because the consulting firm was in such a dismal shape that it was highly unlikely that the project would ever get finished. Like your situation the consultant defaulted and kept way more money than they had actually earned. Sometimes cities are not good business people. They can fail to heed the signals.

What did he get for his trouble? Perhaps wiser, I don't know - I'll ask him some time.