• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Places 50 State throw-down #11 Michigan vs Ohio

Which State is Better?

• Michigan

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Ohio

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We might be tossing out the boundary rule... but this battle needs to happen. There is just no way around it.

vs.

In 1835 and 1836, the State of Ohio and the Michigan Territory both wanted control of the port of Toledo because of it's location on the Great Lakes. It got down right nasty and people on Ohio started referring to people in Michigan as Wolverines because they were uncivilized and ruthless beasts. Those in Michigan took it as a compliment as the animal is a fierce protector and does not back down from a challenge. Congress proposed that Michigan would get the Upper Peninsula and Ohio would get Toledo and President Andrew Jackson called for the "Frost-bitten Convention" to finalize the deal. At the time, people in Ohio thought they had won an amazing victory, until silver, copper, and iron was discovered in the UP and timber operations started up.

Ever sense then, the Toledo War is fought between the University of Michigan and Ohio State University as the final game of the NCAA football regular season.

History aside, which state is better?

(Ohio Sucks) ;) Go Blue

DVD

Cyburbian
Haven't been to either state, but I'll have to go with Michigan. I might actually want to visit the lakes sometime. I can't say I've got any desire to visit Cleveland or Cincinnati, besides, the chili is just wrong!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I really haven't had anything productive to add to these battles until now. I would like to think this might be an argument, but it really isn't. If you want to go to a beautiful State that has lakes, and lots of untouched / unproductive land, go to Michigan. Those people couldn't find an economy in an Apple shareholders meeting. They have wonderful failures that really showcase how they once were great! They used to do SO much! Go visit! Tim "the toolman" Taylor says so! You know that guy from that show from the 90's that you liked!

Alright enough talk about why Michigan is so great. It is just unfair to Ohio. We have to be to the south of such a great failure. It really does make it hard not to suck at some level, because everything we do is just better. I was going to argue for all the great things that Ohio has, or has done, or is doing, but really I think that isn't necessary. I can just show you why Michigan is a failure, and in turn prove that even if we weren't great (which we certainly are), we would be better than Michigan. I think the real comparison would be Pennsylvania. At least they have two universities that are considered higher education. Michigan has Michigan. And I would argue to you that other than their football team, is a great school. But that's it. Unless you count Hillsdale. And if you do, you are a neo-conservative. So you have that going for you. Directional Michigans don't count. Although it is cute. I think South Michigan is missing out.

---

So in truth I love Michigan. I just hate the football program at one university. We have vacationed in the State for years. I don't really have anything honestly bad to say about the State. Other than the bad drivers ;)

The One

Cyburbian
Ahhh.....

I found myself asking......do I have to vote???

America's Oven Mitt won......

DVD

Cyburbian
Perhaps the entire Ohio delegation has blocked me, so it doesn't show up on their screen?
You do know how to piss of some people and if you're going to do it, why not piss off an entire state at one time. :D At least it's Ohio and not one of the more important states. :lmao:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Gotta go with the water winter wonderland.

Although I understand Ohio has the distinction of ranking 25th in the nation for left handed pipe smokers.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Ohio is the armpit of America. It's also a swing state that gave us such luminaries as "Joe the Plumber". Really, Ohio only has three things going for it: Cedar Point, Put-In Bay, and Columbus (a pretty decent midwestern city).

Ah, but Michigan is so much prettier. It actually has SCENERY. It's surrounded by great lakes, has wonderful sand dunes, quaint little resort towns like Saugatuck, Mackinaw Island, the Dutch influenced ton of Holland. You can actually go skiing there. It has cool Yooper accents. Plus, people from there are called "Michiganders". Ha!

Point: Michigan :michigan:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Another point to Michigan:michigan:-it has the UP. There is nothing in the buck nuts state that comes close, though Cincinnati is one of my all time favorite cities. Finally, who in their right mind would proudly name their mascot after a slang term for deer droppings.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Another point to Michigan:michigan:-it has the UP. There is nothing in the buck nuts state that comes close, though Cincinnati is one of my all time favorite cities. Finally, who in their right mind would proudly name their mascot after a slang term for deer droppings.
Find me a state with more buckeye trees? ;)

Ohio has two of the best roller coaster parks in the country (Kings Island and Cedar Point). It also has Put-in-bay which is kind of like our Mackinaw Island.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Ohio has two of the best roller coaster parks in the country (Kings Island and Cedar Point). It also has Put-in-bay which is kind of like our Mackinaw Island.
Buckeye are still a slang term for deer droppings. You may have Put-In-Bay, but you still have nothing that compares to the UP.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Cedar Point is indeed great and puts all other collections of roller coasters to shame. We should have a Laefest there! Beer and roller coasters. What could go wrong? :victory:

Kings Island is pretty good too and was the first amusement park I ever went to. We used to go at least once a year because we made so many trips to Cincinnati which is where a lot of my dad's family still lives.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
That is true, the UP is unique.
My wife thinks that people should need a passport to cross the bridge into the UP. It is a whole other world up there. The hardest thing about going up to the UP to visit family is slowing down. Speed limits are slower, people push shopping carts slower, and people eat slower. I think the only things they don't do slower is ski and drink.

Coragus

Cyburbian
The sheer number of state troopers that you see on I-75 in Ohio should be enough to get you to vote for Michigan.

Allimay

In 1835 and 1836, the State of Ohio and the Michigan Territory both wanted control of the port of Toledo because of it's location on the Great Lakes. It got down right nasty and people on Ohio started referring to people in Michigan as Wolverines because they were uncivilized and ruthless beasts.
To expound on how nasty it got, name-calling just barely scratches the surface. The feud over the Toledo strip (which was by law supposed to be Michigan's, but was given to Ohio due to a surveying error) grew so great that Michigan actually sent their militia to Ohio to take Toledo by force. The "Toledo War" isn't just a fun name, there was actual war attempted. Fortunately for Ohio, the militia got stuck and lost in some swamps in the strip and never made it to Toledo. This is what caused to federal government to finally step in.

Of note, part of Indiana is also supposed to be part of Michigan, but there's nothing of value in Indiana.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Fortunately for Ohio, the militia got stuck and lost in some swamps in the strip and never made it to Toledo. This is what caused to federal government to finally step in..
We always take advantage of how stupid Michiganders are.... ;) Why else would they go to U of M to play football? :D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just as a programming note, I have filled out several different websites that would host a vote type bracket... every one gets to the publish phase and you have to pay money.

So I am still looking.

Carry on and Go Blue.

Kingmak

Cyburbian
I don't give a damn 'bout the whole state of Michigan because I'm from Ohio!

ps...it is Thursday, April 16, 2015 and Michigan still sucks.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I don't give a damn 'bout the whole state of Michigan because I'm from Ohio!

ps...it is Thursday, April 16, 2015 and Michigan still sucks.
This is why we need a Facebook type like system.

+1 LIKE

The One

Cyburbian
Oh yeah.......

Another reason I voted for Michigan even though I've never been there:

I HAVE been to Ohio......snicker.......

Carry On:lmao:

bump
Do these pictures change anybody's vote?

From "EACH STATE PERFECTLY PORTRAYED BY ONE PHOTOGRAPH"

OHIO

1591096663828.png
Caption: "Oh, Ohio . . . the place where anything goes, and manners are not really a thing. Just check out these super classy residents spelling out Ohio, accompanied by three living people . . . and one dead."

MICHIGAN

1591097117266.png
Caption: "In Michigan, safety-trained hunters from the tender age of 10 can shoot bear, deer, turkey, elk, small game and waterfowl. Plus, there's plenty of fur trapping, too! There are over 700,000 licensed hunters up there, but one guy seems to be setting a whole new standard. An entire car exterior of decapitations? That's Michigan, baby! "