• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

9-11-2003

el Guapo

Capitalist
Katie Couric: Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt? Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt? Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt? Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt? Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt? Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt? Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt? Tell me about your pain. Describe your feelings. Does it hurt?

The rest of the media: New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York Bush is bad New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York Bush is bad New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York New York Bush is bad New York New York New York New York New York New York New York

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
No news for me today. I prefer to remember the event in my own way without the media telling me how I should be reacting. NO TV, no radio, no news websites is my plan of action today...

(Plus I'm exhausted after 6.5 hours of meetings last night)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was watching NBC this morning and Couric was drving me nuts when she interviewed Mayor Bloomberg. I wish NBC would ditch her and replace her with a real newscaster...Ann Currie.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I wish NBC would ditch her and replace her with a real newscaster...Ann Currie.
I think they need to ditch Couric, AND her chair, because whenever Currie sits in it, she seems to be infected with an irritating Katieness.

As for the day, I'm marking it by checking in with the Navy recruiter to see where my reserve officer application stands. I'm ashamed I can't do more than join the freakin' reserves, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in having 36-year-old, bald, slightly out-of-shape men join up full-time right now.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We observed a moment of silence this morning at the office where I first heard the news about the attacks. I want to silence the media, but I am drawn to it and can't look away.

Maybe it is because I grew up watching the towers being built and having them as a sub-concious landmark from my Jersey home. Maybe it is because I haven't been to "ground zero" to have closure. But mostly I believe it is my mind's inability to grasp even the idea of flying a 767 loaded with jet fuel into an office building, let alone the visuals. It is, I guess, a certain kind of depression and fear that it can -- and probably will -- happen again.

Tomorrow cannot get here fast enough.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:
I wish NBC would ditch her and replace her with a real newscaster...Ann Currie.
Id rather have currie chicken

Jeff

Cyburbian
I won't watch the news today. I have boots with melted soles to remind me of the days after. I'll never forget being on the #7 train heading into Queens and a plane flew right over us then crashing in the Rockaways. I'll never forget getting off the train at the funeral of Bobby McMahon of Ladder 20, seeing the look in all of the fellow FFs eyes. "Oh no not again."

It was pilot error that time. (Did you ever think you would breath a sigh of relief when a plane goes down in a residential neighborhood killing 200+ people?)

I won't watch the news today.

But the media knows I won't watch today. That's why they had to build up to this day all week. Showing footage from that day. Over and over again.

I'll never forget....for months. Over the FD radio. "Signal 5-5-5-5. The Fire Department of New York regrets to announce the Line of Duty Death of Firefighter...... who died on September 11, 2001, while operating at Manhatten 5th Alarm Box 8086."

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I get double bonus here.. so there's no way in hell I'll watch the news today... I'm sick and tired of the yearly riots here that occur on this day and the repetitive footage of the planes hitting the WTC is just sick...

The Irish One

No media circus today. I do think it would be useful if a media channel just showed the planes crashing into the buildings and the new pics (and old) of Osama walking around with his gun and fellow cronies. They should play his statement since the attacks and before the attacks. It should be full blown al qaeda education day. Just show that all day over and over with no commentary -no commercials. The only thing I want to see on tv is the terror and the persons responsible. The mourning process is a private one and the media cheeses it up.

Jeff

Cyburbian
If there weren't Katie Couric (and the likes of her) in this world, I'd be all for showing the video over and over again. But, I have the feeling that most in this country would rather bury their heads in the sand and hope it doesn't happen again.

So....without being long winded.....I'd prefer to show the videos daily, if Americans would stop being so damn gutless. But since we'd rather go on living in our own clueless world, I'd just as soon not see the videos and not have to listen to people bitch and moan about how WE should take the time to understand the different cultures of the world.

On an e-mail group, some Berkeley type actually had the balls to state that maybe we should try to understand why they hate us, and work towards bringing peace betweent he cultures.

This just arrived in my email

WHOEVER WROTE THIS SHOULD STEP FORWARD AND CLAIM THIS POEM. THE WORDS ARE VERY POWERFUL:

TWO THOUSAND ONE, NINE ELEVEN (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait
A bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"

They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
"I have a dream!" and once he did
The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
"We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear
"The only thing we have to fear.
The Newcomer said, "We know the rest,
trust us sir, we've passed that test."

"Courage doesn't hide in caves
You can't bury freedom, in a grave,"
The Newcomers had heard this voice before
A distinct Yankees twang from Hyannisport shores

A silence fell within the mist
Somehow the Newcomer knew that this
Meant time had come for her to say
What was in the hearts of the five thousand plus
that day

"Back on Earth, we wrote reports,
Watched our children play in sports
Worked our gardens, sang our songs
Went to church and clipped coupons
We smiled, we laughed, we cried, we fought
Unlike you, great we're not"

The tall man in the stovepipe hat
Stood and said, "Don't talk like that!
Look at your country, look and see
You died for freedom, just like me"

Then, before them all appeared a scene
Of rubbled streets and twisted beams
Death, destruction, smoke and dust
And people working just 'cause they must

Hauling ash, lifting stones,
Knee deep in hell, but not alone
"Look! Blackman, Whiteman, Brownman, Yellowman
Side by side helping their fellow man!"

So said Martin, as he watched the scene
"Even from nightmares, can be born a dream."

Down below three firemen raised
The colors high into ashen haze
The soldiers above had seen it before
On Iwo Jima back in '44

The man on sticks studied everything closely
Then shared his perceptions on what he saw mostly
"I see pain, I see tears,
I see sorrow -- but I don't see fear."

"You left behind husbands and wives
Daughters and sons and so many lives
are suffering now because of this wrong
But look very closely. You're not really gone.

All of those people, even those who've never met you
All of their lives, they'll never forget you
Don't you see what has happened?
Don't you see what you've done?
You've brought them together, together as one.

With that the man in the stovepipe hat said
"Take my hand," and from there he led
three thousand plus heroes, Newcomers to heaven
On this day, two thousand one, nine eleven

Author UNKNOWN

DON'T KEEP SUCH MEANINGFUL WORDS AND
FEELINGS TO YOURSELF. PLEASE PASS THIS ONE ALONG.

September 11, 2003, is soon approaching. On that day,
please wear red, white and blue to work or school to
show your support for those who lost their lives on
9~11~01 and to honor the heroes who worked to save
them and the families left behind. At noon your ti me
on September 11, 2003, no matter where you are or what
you are doing, stop, put your hand on your heart, and
say the Pledge of Allegiance out loud or to yourself
and say a prayer for our nation.

In addition, for those of us who drive to work, please
drive with your headlights on to also give honor and
remembrance to those who perished on September 11th.

If all of us do this together in every time zone round
the world, we will have a powerful chain of thoughts
surrounding us. Please keep this going to your friends
and family.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I didn't put the NYC graphics up his year. I didn't want to add fuel to the fire, or make the mood sober here. Cyburbia is something of an escape from the real world for many, and there are enough reminders online and in the media of the horrific events that took place two years.

We shouldn't forget what happened, but we shouldn't celebrate it like a holiday, either.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Yep, I Enough From Them Talking Heads....

Chet said:
Id rather have currie chicken
-No, how about Madame Curie ? I'm sure she'd have a cure for the "Your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime" plague engulfing our nation....

Rem

Cyburbian
The US Embassy in Canberra had a moving ceremony last night (10.47 pm to coincide with the first attack). They lit 2,999 candles on their lawn with a piper playing on the background. Leading politicians including the PM attended. There is nothing I know of today to further mark the Australian victims, everyone seems to be following the US lead. I think it may be overshadowed by the impending first anniversary of Bali and yesterday's sentencing of the second convicted bomber to death in Indonesia.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Our secretary (who is German) came into our office today, at the time the first plane hit, to remind us to take a moment of silence.