• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

9-11

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am anticipating a low key day. Work all day, maybe watch a special on tv or something. My fear is that this will just become some huge tacky commercial event.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Nothing "Officially" Special.

Our 9-10 Council Agenda does not have any recognition of the anniversary, and we have a Community Development Authority meeting on the evening of 9-11. I'm sure we'll individually take pause in our day though.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We have a remembrance ceremony and moment of silence at 8:30 a.m.

Unfortunately, I have an Affordable Housing Advisory Board meeting in the evening, so I'll be lucky if I get home before 9:00 p.m.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The City is having a fairly major remembrance ceremony during the morning - the Premier, the Mayor, the Chiefs of Police, Fire, etc. will all be there.

I kinda like Mrs. Bush's idea about turning off the TV on 9-11. Though she meant it for the kids, I think I may just do the same.

In New York State, the governor has asked that everyone take four moments of silence, one when the first Tower was hit, then one for the second, then a moment for when the first tower collapsed and then again for the second collapse.

On another note, I wonder: a) if there will be any advertising on tv tomorrow during all the hullahballoo, and b) if so, how much $$ will be made from said advertising. blargh.

troy

My wife and I, in protest of the fact that 9-11 has dominated the day's news every day for the last year, plan on ignoring all of the media specials and whatnot on that day. (It's really annoying hearing commentators ask if we will ever forget about 9-11. If you keep on bringing it up every day for the rest of my life, then the answer is no! Making 9-11 the focus of everybody's attention for a whole year gives terrorists a lot more power over our lives than they deserve)

Instead, we will rent all three "Smokey & the Bandit" movies, and watch them from the time I get home to the wee hours of the morning.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sounds like a good idea Troy has - I think I'll do the same with "Absolutely Fabulous"

I forgot to mention - Wednesday is when my tap dancing class starts back up again in the fall. So I'll be hoofin' it to protest the unseemly media hype.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
KMateja said:
I forgot to mention - Wednesday is when my tap dancing class starts back up again in the fall. So I'll be hoofin' it to protest the unseemly media hype.
A friend of mine used to be in tap class every year - do you have to do the annual spring-time show a.k.a "scheduled public humiliation"? I used to love to go watch the performances....

Habanero

Cyburbian
Kel

From news reports I've read they aren't going to have any commercials, as the one station that did have commercials last year during coverage got a ton of flack for it.

But.. I'm just going to spinning or pilates.. Although I'm sure the tvs in the gym will be tuned into the coverage.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm frankly sick of it. We've spent the last year hearing nothing but 9-11. We've given the terrorists a victory every time someone says"...changed our lives forever..." or in the governments nazi-like assault on our rights in defense of our freedom. We've trivialized it by the constant images of falling towers that are used to hype every form of media from newpapers to television and beyond.

I was horrified by the event. I feel sorrow for those who suffered the tremendous loss of loved ones. But I will not live in fear. I will not let this event or any other cast a cloud over me so that my every action is in its shadow. I will not let this event change me and, if I have anything to say about it, my country and its promise of freedom. I will move on, as I did before, and as I have done since. That is how I will honor the day.

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
It's time to turn the TV off the moment 9.11 turned into yet another commerical opportunity.

Let the family of the victims have some private peace. The rest of us, frankly, are just voyeurs.

GB

poncho

Cyburbian
Yep, no TV that day, sick of it all. I agree with everyone that it is a frenzy and that seems to trivialize the whole thing. I am sure the govt. will find someone to arrest, gotta let everyone know we are winning the war on Terror.

sal95

Cyburbian
I have a marathon Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) meeting that night. Our BZA meetings are on the 2nd Wednesdays of the month. . .I had some people ask if we were going to postpone it. The Chairman hasn't called it off, so we were going forward. I'm kinda glad actually, I don't want to watch the coverage over and over again. It has already been terrible the past month! I live on a military post. If I came home at the regular time on Wednesday, it would probably take me a couple of hours to get in. I'm assuming that the security will be beefed up again and they will be searching all of our cars. As for the City that I work for, the Mayor is planting a tree at City Hall. Of course, there is a memorial service planned for on post, and in the surrounding communities.

Tom R

Cyburbian
I thought I was the only one sick of it all. The next thing you know pictures of the WTC will be right up there next to the Velvet Elvis.

el Guapo

Capitalist
ummm.....

Does going up on the roof with the SAW and 1000 rounds count as doing something?

Really just business as usual. Two meetings - maybe a moment of silence. That's secret prayer - don't tell the NEA.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Work silently. Consider how things have returned to normal ... which may not be a good thing, after all. Maybe take the afternoon off.

I really hope 9-11 doesn't become a holiday. I'd hate to see "It's a war against ... dealer markup! The best Patriot's Day sale ever! We're bringing down ... high prices, and passing the savings on to you, with incredible deals on Honda Accords! We're blowing up ... the competition! Let's roll ... away in a new Civic!" Imagine folks "celebrating" Patriot's Day ... ugh. The cheesy crying eagle t-shirts are enough, thank you very much.

jmf

Cyburbian
NO TV

That's my plan anyway. Last year we were in TO and supposed to fly home on the 11th, so we didn't go anywhere for a few days. Luckily, a friend was kind enough to keep us for a couple extra days.

It was odd because we did watch coverage in TO but when we got home real life took over and we don't have cable so after Friday we really didn't see anything it was a welcome relief.

Flying into the Halifax airport and seeing all of the stranded airplanes all over the runways was incredible. Pictures can be seen at http://www.hiaa.ca/usaircrisis/airfieldphotos.htm

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I am going to try to keep the morning quiet, at least between 830 and 930. Like El Guapo I will likely say a prayer.

I have a million sf Office Project going to Planning Commission at night, so I will escape most of the coverage.

I have a different perspective though. What's the media supposed to do? Not cover the event?

Just turn the TV off, spend the eveing hugging your kids or reading books whatever choice you make. Of course we should be doing that every night.

Oh, and also remember how great a country we live in.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ugh i wish tomorrow were overwith already-i live in Arlington (sorry guys i get pissed when folks say the Pentagon is in Washington, its in Arlington Va and we have taken the brunt of the pain)

Arlington is a changed place-some roads are closed, there are Hummers with big ass guns and scared looking 19 year old sitting on them 24/7. some roads you can not take buses are trucks on, there are huge flood lights on the parkway (as if that is going to scare off terrorist, all it does is cause drivers to be blinded and have wreaks)

Every plane that seems lower etc everyone cranes their neck to look, then you wait a few moments to see if you hear THAT sound-the "Thwumpt" of it hitting the building.

Arlington has asked all high rise buildings to put these HUGE flags on their buildings this week-its moving, and upsetting. Every over pass, ever car, every person it seems has a flag on them, more now than ever it seems. The feeling is quite thick, almost like you could cut it with a knife.

We have had beautiful weather here this past weekend-just like the day of the attacks-perfect blue sky, moderate temps, low humidity-its now scary-somber to have a pretty day.

No TV or radio for me, i was sick of it by the end of the day on the 11th. Cant stand to see those moments that will haunt all of us forever. Go out, love someone, enjoy your life-dont let the media make us victims again and again-screw em!

Danielle

Hijack

bturk said:

A friend of mine used to be in tap class every year - do you have to do the annual spring-time show a.k.a "scheduled public humiliation"? I used to love to go watch the performances....
yep. my sister and i did the spring show, and we made my parents come, so somewhere on the internet there is floating around my dad's digital footage of the event. sigh. this year we've sworn off the show, costumes too ugly, the other ladies are all 30 years our senior and it all just blows and is way too long.

End Hijack

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dan said:
Work silentlyI really hope 9-11 doesn't become a holiday. I'd hate to see "The best Patriot's Day sale ever! We're bringing down ... high prices, and passing the savings on to you, with incredible deals on Honda Accords! We're blowing up ... the competition!" The cheesy crying eagle t-shirts are enough, thank you very much.
Agreed!

On another note, I always turn the channel when I see those plane v. skyscraper scenes. I just can't watch them.

It was rumored the code name for the attack on NY was named "city planning." This came from a news story a few days ago. Just sick.

kms

Cyburbian
I'll turn off the TV. I've seen and read enough all year. One entry on my Hate List is when news programs adopt a current events title. I'll recognize the anniversary in my own private way, and maybe say a prayer.

I've been struggling with a decision to go to church. I've been trying to attend daily Mass once a week, and I have been going on Wednesdays. I may wait until Thursday this week; I don't want to get swept up in a group thing. It kind of annoys me that my worship time will be interrupted by the observances.

Everyone in the office is supposed to pile up in the conference room at that time to watch Beethoven's requiem and then have a moment of silence. Afterwards, things will return to business as usual.

I remember last year, I was relieved when MTV returned to playing music videos because it was an alternative to the constant news coverage. As long as I have books to read and CD's to listen to, I'll never have to turn on the TV.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Interesting note on Howard Stern

Howard is going commercial free today with 1 exception - he's giving free ad time to those businesses in the ground zero area that have been most impacted by the events of 9-11. I thought it was a very nice gesture.

He's also rebroadcasting his coverage from last year, starting at 8:50.

Excuse me, but do you know where the Bryant Street Theater is?

my desire to avoid media coverage of the event is making me feel very scrooge like. we watched ESPN this morning during breakfast, only read the life and leisure section of the newspaper this morning as it was devoted to wedding cakes, listened to the Rock Spectacle CD in the car on the way to work refuse to check cnn.com today and am looking very forward to spending the rest of my morning in a jeep checking out a new proposal site that's come into the office.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm not watching TV today, but I had the local radio morning show on during my commute. mostly for the traffic reports. They had a moment of silence at 7:45 CST. At that moment I realized that the dump truck I was following had the following painted on the tail gate: "Only G*d Knows Why* It made the hair on my arms stand on end.

Glomer

The sirens went off this morning to commemorate 9/11........the problem is not every reads the paper and that fact that we have a nuclear power plant made the decision to let the sirens ring a pretty careless one. We had many calls wondering if they needed to flee.....

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Turns out I did exactly what I said yesterday: I had a somber moment of silence stuck in traffic on the nightmare called the Northern Virginia road system.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I too am trying to avoid all of this coverage. I caught some on a local radio station, but I am listening to launch.com internet radio because I am already sick of the coverage. This tv/radio coverage is way too much.

It seems like a contest between media outlets over who can come up with the best catch phrase. Hmm, what should I watch "America Remembers, 9-11, A Year Later, 9-11 Remembering, 9-11, The Day That Changed America, or 9-11, The Day America Changed?? Who can come up with the best symbolism to remember the attacks? Should we ring church bells at the exact moment that the planes hit? When the towers collapsed? How many video compilations of the events on 9-11 overdubbed with soft violin music and sound bites do we need to see?

I think each person has their own way to remember and reflect on what happened. I don't need the media telling me how I should remember 9-11. Without a doubt 9-11 Will dominate my thoughts for the entire day, but I am I unpatriotic because I do not plan on attending any events or because I plan on renting some DVDs tonight to avoid the media coverage? I don't think so.

sal95

Cyburbian
Well, I screwed up this morning and accidently went by my usual morning routine of turning on the tv after my shower to listen to while getting ready for work. It was too moving, I started crying and I couldn't turn the damn thing off. Then on the way to work they did the moment of silence and were reruning the radio coverage of last year. . .more sniffles. I just remember last yeat that I thought World War III had started and scared for my brother on the USS Peleliu already heading to the Persian Gulf (he was one of the first Marines in Afghanistan). Thank God I have a job and a long meeting tonight. . .no more tv for me!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Last night my boyfriend and I rented "Changing Lanes". One of the opening shots is of the NY skyline. He asked "which City is this"? When I replied that it was NYC, he said that he couldn't recognize it anymore. It made me feel so sad. There are little things that make us remember this event everyday. I will be going to our little City's Remembrance event in a few minutes, and after that no more for the day. I've already been on the verge of tears for most of the morning... that's enough.

Last edited:

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Tonight

have a nice quiet candlelight dinner with Scott, hold each other and talk about it if we want or not talk about it if we want. *he was sitting in traffic right infront of the Pentagon when it hit and still freaked out about it*

enjoy some nice quiet "family" time with the man in my life and my hounds-count myself lucky, say a prayer and try to move on-sans the hype

D

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
He had just gotten off the cell with his mother who told him about the WTC-of course he like everyone else knew what was going on at that point.

As soon as it happend he called the head partner at his law firm and told him a meeting for that morning was off and why-the guy did not belive him! *hed not seen the TV yet about anything*

They actualy expected the firm to be open and working-if you did not show you had to use leave and still got no breaks on your billable hours. Never mind he could not get across the river into DC.

He did not see it happen but heard that horrible "thwumpt" when it hit, then a woman a car over scream-he looked to the side and saw a huge flame shoot out of the building and the smoke, very black, fill the sky.

Needless to say a 38 year old man still quakes when he talks about it.

we are gonna have a very low key quiet night tonight.

H

Cyburbian
There is a great 3 hour special running on PBS right now following the WTCs form the before construction until now. I saw it last night. Great.

Cityscape Dreamer

Cyburbian
Did anyone else see the PBS documentary "The Center of the World" last night? It was a fantastic overview with lots of interviews, of how the towers got built (the planning and politics) as well as of the disaster itself. I hope they re-air it soon so I can tape it. (all 3 hours of it).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'm sick and tired of seeing the planes crashing into the WTC as much as seeing the Moneda Palace in flames....

I just hope that you guys don't get stuck for 30 years and end up in the same place like us...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ive not watched or will i watch and of the 9/11 stuff this week. There are SO many flags up here in Arlington but I cant stand how this has turned into some political thing. let folks live out their lives in peace I wish they would quit opening up old wounds and making us all relive that horrid day.

Let us greave but dont beat us with a dead horse