• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

9:16 PM Question from Cardinal

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tonight's meeting ended early and has given me the chance to hang out on Cyburbia as I listen to Sinatra. Sinatra? When I was in high school I never thought I would listen to anything like that. Now, I never replaced my AC/DC and Rush albums and wouldn't listen to them if I had. So I thought I'd ask:

What music do you listen to now, that you couldn't tolerate as a teenager?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I hated old country when I was a teen... and I still hate old country...

Other than that, I like everything else...

Blues, Funk, Soul, Rap, Hip Hop, Urban R&B, Oldies, Classical, Folk, Jazz, Pop, and even a little Polka!

JNL

Cyburbian
There isn't anything that I wouldn't listen to then, that I will now. But it's only 5 years since I was a teenager. I still can't stand the Christian radio my Mum listens to. My tastes have diversified and mellowed a bit from indie, rock and nu metal, to include dub, reggae, roots etc...

(found a site with a HUGE list of music genres)

vaughan

Cyburbian
When i was in high school in the early '90's, I pretty much lived and breathed the seattle grunge scene. Couldn't wait for the newest issue of Rolling Stone to come out just in case they had a never-before-seen picture of Eddie Vedder or Kurt Cobain.

My god, I haven't admitted that in almost 10 years.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Still can't stand big band, although I don't mind crooners, especially those with a swingin' Vegas edge.

Am I the only one who can't stand American-Idol-style melisma? Is that form of music really that popular?

Rem

Cyburbian
Elvis. :w: (had to insert the hound dog to get the post over 10 characters).

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Classical....don't listen to it much, but there are times at work that it keeps me on-task. Never would listen to it when I was younger.....though most of my music tastes have remained the same (punk, etc.)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Soundtracks from kids movies: Shrek, Stuart Little, etc. After 10 years of playing this stuff in the car, it's kinda wore off on me.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Circle Remains . . . Unbroken

News radio. I remember my parents listening to John Gambling (JNA?) as I would get ready for school in the morning but it was just "white noise" to me. As I got older, I was listening to WNEW 102.7.

Now I have the radio tuned to an all news station as I get my kids ready for school and pre-school. My kids are watching Between the Lions and probably don't even know I have the radio on. My 7-yr old constantly begs to be allowed to watch Yu-Gi-Oh. |-) (No freakin' way, son.)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I now listen to bluegrass and American folk, two genres I would never have listened to as a teenager.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
NHPlanner said:
Classical....don't listen to it much, but there are times at work that it keeps me on-task. Never would listen to it when I was younger.....though most of my music tastes have remained the same (punk, etc.)
Hmmm...another thing NHPlanner and I have in common. Hmmm...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Hmmm...another thing NHPlanner and I have in common. Hmmm...
I knew it. You guys really are the same person! ;-)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Still can't stand big band, although I don't mind crooners, especially those with a swingin' Vegas edge.

Am I the only one who can't stand American-Idol-style melisma? Is that form of music really that popular?
Vocal glurge. Would somebody please feed Clay Aiken into a woodchipper?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I like Sinatra, Dean Martin, and some other crooners. In high school there is no way I would be caught dead listening to that. During College I hated the whole Rave/Techno scene and couldn't stand the music but I now find that I like some Electronica music although it is more mainstream stuff like Chemical Bros, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim, etc.

Jimmy Buffett is another. I hated him with a passion, then one summer I hung out with some people who always listened to him and ge grew on me.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Since I've moved to Edmonton I probably have listened to more classic rock than ever before. I used to hate the stuff and now I only mildly dislike it. There are some bands that I would have never listened to when I was in high school though, that I like now: Tom Petty, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin to name a few. I started to appreciate Hendrix in college, but I probably would have liked him in HS if I had known about him. I was just an 80s synth-pop freak in hs... most of which I don't listen to anymore.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Apart from New Age, there's really not much that I listen to now in terms of genres of music that I wouldn't have listened to as a teen...and I probably would have listened to New Age if it had existed when I was a teen. I can tell you what I don't listen to now that I was nuts about when I was a kid and that's Classic Rock. I listened to the hits before they were called classics and then I listened to them again when classic rock stations sprung up all over and again and again and again.....
One problem I find with the whole classic rock thing is that certain songs that were popular when I was a teen used to bring back a certain bittersweet nostalgia when I'd hear them years later that I used to associate with some of the feelings/memories I had of that time. After hearing the song 200 times last thursday, I find they cease to have that nostalgic connection. Anyone else notice this?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Maister said:
(snip)..After hearing the song 200 times last thursday, I find they cease to have that nostalgic connection. Anyone else notice this?
Well, for me, I find I longer want to ever listen to the songs again. I hate most Classic Rock stations for that reason. They overplay songs, and effectively kill them.

Habanero

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Well, for me, I find I longer want to ever listen to the songs again. I hate most Classic Rock stations for that reason. They overplay songs, and effectively kill them.
So true.

I never thought I'd listen to the Grey Album- Jay-Z's Black Album mixed with the Beatles White Album, but it's quite good.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Gedunker said:
News radio. I remember my parents listening to John Gambling (JNA?) as I would get ready for school in the morning but it was just "white noise" to me. As I got older, I was listening to WNEW 102.7.
Sorry for taking so long to reply.
1st part - I have a foggy recollect of that, I was one of four kids, getting ready always seemed to be a whirlwind.
2nd part - in High school it was WNEW 102.7 FM!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I enjoyed many types of music while in high school, except for jazz and country. I still don't care for or listen to country music, but I love to listen to jazz now.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Cajun and zydeco music. When I lived in Louisiana I never listened to it. Now I like to listen to it from time to time and even listen to it on the Internet (KBON out of Mamou.)

otterpop said:
Cajun and zydeco music. When I lived in Louisiana I never listened to it. Now I like to listen to it from time to time and even listen to it on the Internet (KBON out of Mamou.)
Ditto, but I can only appreciate it when it's live. One of my faves is Rosie Ledet. She put on a kick-ass show at the jazz fest last year.

donk

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I knew it. You guys really are the same person! ;-)
Have you ever seen them together? It is kind of like polk-a-roo. ;)

As for music, I too never really liked electronic music as a youth but have gotten into the same groups as Repo.

Same with rap, but I've listened to some old school stuff and can appreciate it better than the crap being produced now.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Back in high school I couldn't stand to listren to old country music and bluegrass. It would have gotten in the way of listening to my Smiths, Cure, and later Pearl Jam and Nirvana albums. I suppose I was just to 'angst ridden' and misunderstood to appreciate anything my parents might have liked. B-)
.... Then it came time for me to hang up the Doc Martin shoes and flannel shirts. Now I'm a big blugrass fan and really enjoy some good old honky tonk and classical counrty. In fact I'm hoping I can go see the Mavaricks and BR-549 in concert next week. :-}

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
My 7-yr old constantly begs to be allowed to watch Yu-Gi-Oh. |-) (No freakin' way, son.)
Power to ya! None of that big-eyed Japanese nonsense for my kids either!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Then it came time for me to hang up the Doc Martin shoes and flannel shirts. Now I'm a big blugrass fan and really enjoy some good old honky tonk and classical counrty. In fact I'm hoping I can go see the Mavaricks and BR-549 in concert next week. :-}
I saw BR-549 at Milwaukee's Summerfest a few years ago and they are great to see live. I usually can't stand country, but I enjoy their old-school throwback sound mixed in with some new influences.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have been a rock and roll fan since I was a little tyke. But.....we had stacks of
78 RPM records down in the basement and my brother and I played all those puppies all thru the late 1950's. Gershwin, Sinatra, Harmonicats, etc.

The early 1960's brought The Beatles (and others) into my life and in the later part of that decade I was exploring physcodelic (sic?....oh, clube members..) and hard-hard rock. In fact, driving home tonight I crossed the snow's-all-gone NW Ohio farmland countryside blasting my MC5 album....."Kick Out The Jams, Mother...".

But......during my Senior year in High School (1965/1966) a teacher assigned us to watch "...this new young singer on TV and give a report." That singer was
Barbra Streisand and I loved her stuff. (Still love the 1960's stuff but I don't care much for her later music.)

I have a super classical collection, a wonderful Southern Rock & Roll collection, great albums by everybody from Frank Zappa, Wilco, Talking Heads, to Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys, Radiohead, Broadway musicals, etc.

Mainstream country is about the only genre I don't have much of.....alt.country is so much better.

I love music.

Bear

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I have to admit guys( Although i responded to the Calling Metal Heads Thread pretty enthusiastically) that then I could listen to metallica or megadeth continuously for hours.
But now its only a few songs at a time.
Looks like I have grown up or become serious :-c