• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

9:30AM (NZT) question from JNL

Do you have a signature dish?

• Cooking? I thought all food came in microwave-ready packages?

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Still working on a signature dish

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Yes, my culinary skills are legendary!

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JNL

Cyburbian
I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes and find it hard to understand people who have no interest in cooking or learning to cook. Which lead me to wonder about the culinary skills of my fellow cyburbanites.... do you have a signature dish? i.e. a recipe that never fails to impress your guests?

One of mine that always goes down well is a chickpea curry - simple but tasty. Served with rice and yoghurt.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Turkey tetrazini - loaded with fat and calories, but never disappoints.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have some staples and one that will soon be in contention, but nothing that people say "oh you have to bring ______ to my party"

Some of the things that I have gotten good reviews for:

Smoked BBQ Pork Shoulder (This one is outstanding)
Carne Asada or Chicken Tacos
Avacado and Black Bean Salad

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hmmmm foood!

Hmmm… where do I start…

Stuffed Lemon Pepper Chicken with roasted red skin baby potatoes in a garlic butter sauce…
Lasagna
3 pepper Fajitas
Stuffed Peppers
Lemon Roasted Stuffed Grape Leaves
Spaghetti with half-and-half sauce (home made Marianna and Alfredo)
Pasties (Finnish beef pie with potatoes, onions, carrots, and rutabaga)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
No signature dish, but many great ones:

Rhubarb muffins
Rouladen
Sweet potato cassarole
Spinach rice
Spanish bread (700-year old recipe)
Soups

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I absolutely love to cook, but I don't think I've developed a "signature" dish - I'm always looking to try new things. Mrs. Tranplanner really likes my tofu curry, pizza, and roasted pepper pasta dishes. I also make a good french onion soup.

JNL

Cyburbian
Seems like we have some talented chefs!

8-! This is making me hungry so I had to eat one of my banana choc chip muffins.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I make a very good French onion soup.
Pizza with sourdough crust (100 year old starter from a defunct Berkeley bakery), homemade sauce.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Eggo Waffles.
Y'all have never experienced the way I can take those babies out the toaster and smoother them with some Mrs. Buttersworth. It's almost criminal the way I can thaw and toast 'em. ;-)

JK
I don't have any signature dishes but have a small reputation for beeing able to cook up the fish. Grilled shark steaks, sesame ginger salmon, you name the fish... I have a recipe for it.

H

Cyburbian
me no cook. me wife no cook. we eat much cereal and fruit. :-S

but JNL's dish sound good. :p

Roladen (perhaps Cardinal and I should have a cook off, ;) )
Homemade pizza, done on a pizza stone with an egg added to the dough to give it more "body"
For "potluck" dinners, although I don't eat it, my barbecue ribs are very popular -- I never have leftovers to bring home and you had better get yours early or you won't get any.

Last but not least: good gravy has been a cornerstone of my marriage for eons. (Making gravy is an art -- my husband thought gravy came in packages and once seriously offended my sister by asking what "brand" the gravy was because her gravy was so good and he wanted to buy that brand. His mom can't cook -- packets of gravy mix was all he had known as a kid, I guess.)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Roladen (perhaps Cardinal and I should have a cook off, ;) )
Homemade pizza, done on a pizza stone with an egg added to the dough to give it more "body"
For "potluck" dinners, although I don't eat it, my barbecue ribs are very popular -- I never have leftovers to bring home and you had better get yours early or you won't get any.

Last but not least: good gravy has been a cornerstone of my marriage for eons. (Making gravy is an art -- my husband thought gravy came in packages and once seriously offended my sister by asking what "brand" the gravy was because her gravy was so good and he wanted to buy that brand. His mom can't cook -- packets of gravy mix was all he had known as a kid, I guess.)
Your gravy comment is absolutely right. It is made from drippings and gravy flour, and perhaps a little broth now and then.

As for rouladen, how do you make yours? I simply use thin-cut round steak, onion and bacon, then brown it.

Can you make good stuffed cabbage? (Not the kind with tomato.)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
My signature dishes are 2 Big Easy classics:

- shrimp creole (shrimp cooked in a seasoned tomato sauce served over rice or angelhair pasta)

- white beans and rice

JNL

Cyburbian
Yum!

I'll have the French onion soup and Spanish bread for starters, followed by the Stuffed Lemon Pepper Chicken, Sesame Ginger Salmon, and roast pepper pasta, please. And a rhubarb muffin for dessert :-D

otterpop

Cyburbian
1) Boiled crawfish/crabs/shrimp
2) New England style Corned Beef Dinner
3) Hopping John
4) Shepherd's Pie
5) Barbecue

biscuit

Cyburbian
Now the fiancee is the real cook around here. I could give her two cans of corn and a mango and she could somehow manage to make a four course meal out of it. She has a talent for just making up dishes on the spot and they are almost always really tasty. In fact I think I first fell for her when she slavaged my awful excuse for gravy when I was attempting to make a homecooked meal of fried cube-steak and gravy.

JNL
You'll have to either post or PM that chickpea curry recipe. Just thinking about it's making my mouth water.

ludes98

Cyburbian
JNL said:
What is tetrazini?
Hmmm hadn't thought about the name before. I make it with spaghetti noodles, but any pasta will do. Went to dictionary.com and:

tet·raz·zi·ni also Tet·raz·zi·ni ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ttr-zn)
adj.

Made with noodles, mushrooms, and almonds in a cream sauce topped with cheese: turkey tetrazzini.

[After LuisaTetrazzini (1871-1940), Italian operatic soprano.]
I don't really like the nuts and I use parmesan cheese. it's odd that the definition leaves out turkey, hello? Can also be made with chicken.

Cardinal said:
Your gravy comment is absolutely right. It is made from drippings and gravy flour, and perhaps a little broth now and then.

As for rouladen, how do you make yours? I simply use thin-cut round steak, onion and bacon, then brown it.

Can you make good stuffed cabbage? (Not the kind with tomato.)
Good gravy starts with knowing how to properly brown meat. If you can't do that, yeah, grab some packet of something because it will have no flavor. My husband likes "Southern style gravy" cuz his grandma (a Southerner) knew how to cook a lot better than his mom. So I typically add a bouillion cube so I can then make it thick enough to spread with a knife. (My husband is a Barbarian. He has no real appreciation for fine cooking.)

I use a chunk of Sweet Vidalia onion, bacon, and a small dill pickle, pepper and paprika both sides of the beef, brown it on all sides (usually 3, given the shape) and cook for a couple of hours covered in water. Of course, you pretty much have to have BOTH mashed potatoes and potato balls to go with it. My Oncle Ernst makes it with slices of fresh Paprika in place of the onion and pickle.

I never learned to make anything with cabage. My mom makes a mean sweet and sour red cabbage dish. I don't make it often enough to ever master it. It is tougher to master than gravy.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Oh oh... I almost forgot my other specialty: fresh, homemade guacamole. I'm talking all natural ingredients, no recipe in a true California style. All other guac is crrrrap! ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
Thanks ludes, sounds yummy!

biscuit said:
JNL
You'll have to either post or PM that chickpea curry recipe. Just thinking about it's making my mouth water.
Will do, but will have to wait till tomorrow. The great thing about it is how easy it is.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I too would have to say that real guacamole is my #1 signature dish. And it played an important role in wooing Karen. Others include Greek pasta salad, Red snapper (or rockfish) with mushrooms and citrus, veggie chili, veggie enchiladas (stacked), and applesauce cookies. I go through phases, so all of these (except guacamole) may fade out of the repertoire and others replace them.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
Can also be made with chicken.
And for those on the cheap, also with tuna. Had that alot in grad school. 'Course a box of Kraft Mac 'n' Cheese, a small can of peas, a can of condensed Cream o' Mushroom and some tuna will make it up quick. Yum!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Lee Nellis said:
I too would have to say that real guacamole is my #1 signature dish.
Just thinking of homemade guac has made me get excited about summer. New backyard with a firepit and a huge patio... it's made for guacamole and margaritas! Bring on summer... I'm ready!

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I love to cook although I don't do it as much now that I'm single than I did when I had a live in g-friend.

My sig. dish has to be lentil loaf.

YUP lentil loaf a vegeterian meatloaf. I put mashpotatos on top and I make this herb gravy that is the boom.

PlannerByDay said:
My sig. dish has to be lentil loaf.

YUP lentil loaf a vegeterian meatloaf. I put mashpotatos on top and I make this herb gravy that is the boom.
If you like lentils, you should learn to make Mjeddrah. I don't serve it in the traditional style (over salad, with a fancy dressing to go with it). I use it as a vegetarian "meat" and put it in taco shells or toasted pita bread like a sandwich. It also goes well with brown bread or whole wheat crackers. Yummy stuff. And it keeps well in the fridge. I don't usually "Do" leftovers but this stuff is better the second time around.

If you are into vegetarian, "complementary pie" (a la "Diet for a Small Planet"), Cauliflower quiche, and spicy tofu-cornbread with melted cheese on top are great staples. I also crossed an apple pie recipe with a quiche recipe and came up with an apple quiche recipe that I like to make in winter, from fresh apples (Granny Smith, of course).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Reading through these, I forgot a few.

I used to make Hoppin John a lot, but haven't made it in a few years. Same with Fried Rice. In college all of my roommates would buy all the stuff and tell me to make it. Haven't done that in about 3 years.

Another one that I am working on that is on the verge of being awesome is Sesame, Garlic, Cilantro, Ginger Seared Ahi Tuna served rare in the middle. I have made it about 3 times and it gets better each time. The only problem is that sushi-grade tuna as so expensive.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I've mastered everything Thanksgiving and make the best gravy in both our families. I also roast amazing stuffed cornish game hens, make the best mashed potatoes ever, and my bread isn't half bead either. :)

donk

Cyburbian
Mine is egg plant parmesan (homemade vegetarian spagehetti sauce used), another would be latkes/potato pancakes with homemade applesauce.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I don't have any signature dishes but have a small reputation for beeing able to cook up the fish. Grilled shark steaks, sesame ginger salmon, you name the fish... I have a recipe for it.
DecaturHawk said:
a can of condensed Cream o' Mushroom and some tuna will make it up quick

You two, back off;)

Homemade Mac & Cheese, the good stuff.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have mastered "everything Thanksgiving" and.....

Chicken noodle soup.....the secret is in the mushrooms and homemade noodles.

Multiple-alarm chili.....the secret is in the mushrooms and the red pepper.
(Also can use same for taco salad, with cheese melted in)

Scalloped potatoes.....my wife is always asking me to make 'em.

Sloppy Joe's.....mmmmmm, good. My stepson will kill for this one.

I tried using my dad's recipe for Czarnina (Polish Duck Blood Soup)....it was just OK......his death a few years ago put and end to my ability to get this great dish. I may try it again......"here Ducky, here Ducky.....come get the tasty cracker...."

Hey, Michaelskis.....I love pasties! I haven't tried to make them, but I did copy a recipe from the internet. Nastrovia!

Godda go back to da fishcamp, ya know, just outside of Marquette dere, ya know..

Bear Out Of Control

Queen B

Cyburbian
Homemade dinner rolls melt in your mouth.
I love to make them and would love to practice more on breads but I would eat them so I just don't.
But there isn't much cooking that I do poorly, we love to eat!

kms

Cyburbian
I make breads - dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, pain au chocolate (croissant filled with chocolate), pepperoni rolls.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

(Not the kind with tomato.)
Don't forget the Kitchen Bouquet in the gravy. I am the gravy master in the family, while my sister-in-law is limited to less exacting tasks like heating up frozen peas.

I love to cook, but I don't do "gourmet". Favorites with guests: chili, appetizer wraps, cottage cheese quiche (really yummy), chowders, Eggs Benedict, etc. My signature dish? Key Lime Cake, always a winner at office parties, and SO Florida!

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I love to cook, but I don't do "gourmet".
Me too. I like quick and tasty, though presentation is always important and I use quality ingredients. Have been experimenting with curries lately. I have a never-fail, all in one bowl, rich chocolate cake recipe that is a fav. I like to make brunch for my housemates, stuff like (bought) hash browns, bacon, french toast. Made french toast with banana, kiwifruit, strawberries and maple syrup last week - yum.

Lucky I have a good metabolism!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I make a dish Called the Vegetable Pulao( Rice dish with all kinds of aromatic and other interesting vegetables) served with yoghurt diluted with onions and tomatoes, mint and coriander.
Its a simple dish and can be done within an hour( which includes washing, cutting cooking)
This my Grand dad, his two sons( including my dad) and me- all of us are experts of.It runs in the family. :)

I also cook a few vegetable dishes( a large variety actually) and a few chinese styel chicken dishes using the Microwave.
Sometime I am able to make some good Chicken Kebabs( I dunno whether you've heard of them)
So over all, I can cook.
Thats so because I have lived alone for many years through college( all six years of planning) and started cooking for self and friends( including the good GFs ;-) ) after getting fed up of eating in the canteens and restaurants.

Bangorian

My two famous dishes are:
Fettucini with artichokes, sundried tomatoes and maine shrimp
Saucy Seafood Bake (lobster, scallops & shrimp)

The seafood is so godd*mn cheap up here its hard not to include some in every meal! :p

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Hm. I have stacks and stacks of cookbooks, but use them more to check cooking times/temperatures for things; most of what I make is improvised. Probably the ones my husband pesters me the most for are:
Jambalaya, although BEK and Plandarella would probably take me to task for the way I make it, since I don't like green peppers and husband hates onions... B-)
Roasted chicken, made in one of those clay pots
Chocolate fondue and cheese fondue
Roast potatoes
Homemade pasta
Banana-chocolate chip bread

el Guapo

Capitalist
BBQ pork ribs and chicken.
Dark-Dark-Dark Pumpernickle bread
Home Brew Wheat Beer

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
el Guapo said:
BBQ pork ribs and chicken.
Dark-Dark-Dark Pumpernickle bread
Home Brew Wheat Beer
If someone brews their own beer I think by definition they should be considered a 5 star chef. Not that i'm biased......

Floridays

Cyburbian
More of an appetizer gal here. I'm usually asked to bring the following to parties/get togethers:
Shrimp Queso
Artichoke Dip
Stuffed mushrooms (cream cheese/sausage, etc).
Tortilla Roll-Ups
Seven-layer dip w/homemade guacamole.
Devilled eggs (go figure)
Others:
Chicken Dijon or Chicken Tarragon
Lasagne
Caesar salad (homemade dressing...yep, with anchovies!)
Beef Burgandy
Chicken Marsala.

JNL

Cyburbian
By special request...

biscuit said:
JNL
You'll have to either post or PM that chickpea curry recipe.
CHICKPEA CURRY

Preparation time: 15 mins
Total cooking time: 40-45 mins
Serves 4

2 onions
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon ghee or oil
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander (I leave this out cause I think coriander tastes like soap :-# )
2 x 440g (14oz) cans chickpeas, drained
440g (14oz) canned tomato pieces
1 teaspoon garam masala

1. Slice onions finely; crush the garlic. Heat ghee or oil in a medium pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until soft.

2. Add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander ( :-# ). Stir over heat for 1 minute.

3. Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes. stir until combined. Simmer, covered, over low heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garam masala. Simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes.

From The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook

A good dollop of plain, unsweetened yoghurt makes a wonderful topping, and I serve the curry on basmati rice.

Enjoy!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Thanks, you're a real sweetheart. :-D
I'll probably try to make it this weekend if possible

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
stuff like (bought) hash browns
I never understand why people buy pre-made hashbrowns. They are one of the easiest things to make. Just grate potatoes (with the peels), squeeze out the excess liquid with a cheesecloth or really good papertowels, season to taste (I use garlic powder, salt and pepper and a little seasoned salt... not too much of any one of those) and then just throw it into a skillet with butter. Voila! Fresh is so much better.

JNL

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I never understand why people buy pre-made hashbrowns. They are one of the easiest things to make. .
I've never tried... are these individual hash browns, or one big hash brown that you divide up when you serve it? I would like to try it. And what is your "seasoned salt" seasoned with?

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I've never tried... are these individual hash browns, or one big hash brown that you divide up when you serve it? I would like to try it. And what is your "seasoned salt" seasoned with?
That's one big hashbrown that you divide up. (If you want to get really fancy you can stuff it with whatever you want... like cheese and mushrooms or sour cream by putting the ingredients on then folding it over. With cheese, you fold it over and let it cook a few more minutes... sour cream you add just before you serve or it will melt and get runny). Seasoning salt is a generic term... it's the brownish/reddish looking salt that Lawry's makes or other brandnames.