A bit of old business (re, the Chernobyl/Prypyat, Ukraine photo series thread)

mgk920

Cyburbian
A few months ago, I posted a link to a website with a truly fascinating series of images of the area around the Chernobyl power plant, about 18 years after their little 'oopsie', including the abandoned Soviet-era city of Prypyat, Ukraine.

It has come to my attention, from a source that I do consider to be reliable, that the story of 'Elena' (the 'dark-angel sexy' cyclist) and her family, etc, in that site was 100% fiction (darn.... |-) heheheheheh).

HOWEVER, the images and descriptions of the powerplant, abandoned city and environs are 100% true, only that they were all gotten by someone who took one of the commercially available one-day tours of the area.

A recent article in the Los Angeles Times reports that the woman's name is Lena Filatova who, along with her husband, went on a tour arranged by a travel agency in Kiev. See http://www.ukrcam.com for more info.

I posted the link to it all NOT because of the 'person' whom was supposed to have made the trip, but for the very legitimate and interesting images and descriptions of that area, including the 'time capsule' aspects of the city, and I would have done so regardless of who gathered, organized and published it all.

Still, I extend my sincerest apologies to whomever got their hopes up a little bit too high while perousing the site.

Mike.

Rem

Cyburbian
He he he ... I thinkDan is now revising his Round the World itinerary for next year.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nah. Kiev wasn't a planned stop.

I'm under the impression that she visited Prypyat more than once. My guess at what probably happened is that Lena Filatova made one trip with her husband, or a friend who might have taken the pictures. Bus tours don't stop at abandoned motorcycle shops, at least not that I know of.

Gedunker

Moderating
As I recall, I was rather taken in by Elena and SkeL was skeptical of the article. I suppose I owe our chilean ambassador an apology. You were right SkeL :-D