• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

A bit wet in my corner of the world...

JNL

Cyburbian
Well I had an unplanned long weekend because I couldn't get to work yesterday! Woke up to a state of Civil Defence Emergency due to a storm that brought heavy rain, flooding, slips, and many road closures. Rivers have burst their banks and reached record levels. Some areas had to be evacuated. So now I am back at work, and the rain is getting heavy again... hope I don't get stuck here!! 8-!

So much for summer |-)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2817127a10,00.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2816564a10,00.html

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Well I had an unplanned long weekend because I couldn't get to work yesterday! Woke up to a state of Civil Defence Emergency due to a storm that brought heavy rain, flooding, ...So much for summer |-)
Send some our way. 40% of the state is still drought declared (a big improvement in the last couple of months) and we have have been boiling in the heat. State maximum yesterday was 48 C (118 F) in Ivanhoe. Maximum today is 28 C (82 F) and is the first day in two weeks when the maximum is below 36 C (97 F). Sunday morning it was 25 C at 5.30 am and I felt cold. 8-!

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Send some our way. 40% of the state is still drought declared (a big improvement in the last couple of months) and we have have been boiling in the heat. State maximum yesterday was 48 C (118 F) in Ivanhoe. Maximum today is 28 C (82 F) and is the first day in two weeks when the maximum is below 36 C (97 F). Sunday morning it was 25 C at 5.30 am and I felt cold. 8-!
Believe me I'd love to trade a few degrees with you!

The sun is shining again but it is only 13 C. Floodwaters are still rising, people are still being evacuated, and the damage bill is estimated at NZ$100 million + so far!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Oh... so there's where my rain went! No wonder we're @ 80% deficit of rain here... B-)
Though last night we got some rain tooo, but out of a 86.4 mm of normal rainfall at this time of the year we only have 18.1
So, JNL stop stealling our rainfall! :p (nah, you can keep it until march! :-D )

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, to date, in California. we had a quite dry February/late January after a really wet December (every weekend was drizzly.)

It just dumped yesterday most of the day. Yesterday, I heard a newscaster use one of the most dreaded phrases in local radio: "The Storm Door is Open" (which means the normal high pressure front which dominates the central Pacific Coast is weakened-or gone). Its supposed to rain every day until next Thursday.

Of course, since we have been pretty dry overall, so we "need" the rain.

JNL

Cyburbian
Check this out...

EYE IN THE SKY: A Landcare Research satellite image, taken at 11am yesterday, shows central New Zealand in the grip of a severe southerly that brought thunderstorms and more heavy rain to flood-hit areas.
JNL's location indicated by red arrow!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
You know, when I first saw the title of this thread, I was thinking of something else.............like a tidal wave hit you guys or something;)

BKM

Cyburbian
My damn sliding glass door leaked during last night's deluge.

The slider has been "fixed" twice since I've lived thre.