• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

a champion of urban redevelopment Pat Moynihan

The Irish One

Senator Pat Moynihan died last week, he is my all time political hero. Trusted by Dems and Repubs, skeptical of leaders, and looking out for the little guy, Pat Moynihan put his intellect and wit to work for his compatriots. I'm grateful. Anybody else pay attention to his career?

Some nice words from David Gergen note: Pat grew up in E. Harlem, Not Hells kitchen-but thats another story.

]http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/030331/opinion/31edit.htm

Last edited:

oulevin

Cyburbian
Pat Moynihan

Moynihan gave instant credibility to anybody who associated with him, because he was so smart. He was the embodiment of Nixon's liberal innovator side, patron to David Stockman and mentor/boss to Tim Russert. Anybody who can lay claim to a connection with that set of characters is respectable, if not a political anomaly.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
That was a nice essay on Moynihan. Thanks for sharing it.

Back in my college days, I witnessed a political debate between Moynihan and his opponent at the time. It took place in the lecture hall where I usually sat for Psych 101. Moynihan was not only physically imposing, he was also an excellent public speaker, and he completely outdid his opponent. I think he inspired me to vote for the first time that year.

He always made me proud that he represented NY - in the same way D'Amato made me ashamed.