• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

A Field Guide to Sprawl

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Soon to be released, by Dolores Hayden

Conceived as a dictionary encompassing 51 species, from alligator to zoomburb (a city in the suburbs growing faster than a boomburb) the guide may well establish Ms. Hayden as the Roger Tory Peterson of sprawl.

For example:

Zoomburg:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'll definitely have to check out this one.

For Christmas I got Hayden's Building Suburbia, which was pretty insightful and took a slightly different approach for the reason suburbia developed. I like her writing method (literary and accessible).

It's good to have an architect like her on the side of good. ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the New York Times, June 17, 2004

DESIGN NOTEBOOK
Defining Sprawl: From A to Z
By PATRICIA LEIGH BROWN

Story about and promoting Ms. Hayden, 59, a Yale professor of architecture, urbanism and American studies and her new book.

"Conceived as a dictionary encompassing 51 species, from alligator to zoomburb (a city in the suburbs growing faster than a boomburb) the guide may well establish Ms. Hayden as the Roger Tory Peterson of sprawl." 8-!